PDA

View Full Version : Ex Or Current Harley owners?

CarolinaRider
07-16-2014, 07:11 AM
How many have experienced this?

http://www.kpho.com/story/14896060/some-harley-motorcycles-plagued-by-death-wobble-5-16-2011#.U8Xlnp5YTkK.facebook

decubitus
07-16-2014, 09:05 AM
How many have experienced this?

http://www.kpho.com/story/14896060/some-harley-motorcycles-plagued-by-death-wobble-5-16-2011#.U8Xlnp5YTkK.facebook

A different kind of wobble happened to me with my 2012 Road Glide Ultra after its first service. When going straight the front end would start to wobble. I took it to a different shop and told them about it. Service manager tried to tell me it was my riding technique. I insisted he have the triple tree bearings adjusted. The bike no longer wobbles. I love that bike, but I no longer let any Harley store work on it.

hiflyer
07-16-2014, 09:43 AM
I have owned, let's say, a bunch, of Harley's (well over 50). I never had a wobble on any FLH series until they went to the smaller front tire. After that, every one of them would wobble when decelerating from about 50 on down. If you took your hands off the bars, it could become a tank slapper. That said, my F6 does the same thing, as has every GW I've owned. The F6 engine frame combo is by far more stable at higher speeds, and in turns, than the HD. I had a BMWK1200LT that was just awful, and flat out dangerous on wet roads.

Steve 0080
07-16-2014, 09:53 AM
I have had a wobble on a HD..caused by loose steering bearing and worn tire...ANY bike can get a wobble!!! It can start crossing a thick painted line or some add on on the front of the bike to mess up the wind, worn tires or what ever.....this is not a HD problem. A good friend of mine had a Honda 75o go into a wobble, then a tank slapper then there him in the bushes...I was riding next to him! If and when your bike starts a wobble you have to chances of stopping it before you are in the bushes........1. climb on the brakes and get that thing slowed down NOW! the other opting to give it all the gas it had and try to speed out of the wobble...both take balls....to do nothing as my friend and it becomes a " death wobble"......

I have been in several due to add ons on motorcycles and those are you two choices....JMO

Texas TC
07-16-2014, 10:47 AM
The two full Wings I had before the F6B had the dreaded Wing Wobble slowing down around 45 mph. The only two bikes I had that were as extreme as the video presented were my 89 BMW and my 93 Harley FXR. I had made major changes to the front forks on both bikes and they would literally tank slap during certain riding conditions. None of my FLH framed Harleys had any wobble but they never felt as secure cornering as the Wing platform motorcycles I have owned.

bobbyf6b
07-16-2014, 11:10 AM
I never had an issue with my Dyna Street Bob but my 07 Street Glide was another story. The best way to describe it is it rode like a wet noodle. I hated the handling of that bike. The brakes were shit too. After I switched to Michelin Commander II's it handled much better bit I still never liked that bike. I happily traded it in on the F6B.

I have had no issues with the F6. I can set the throttle lock and ride no handed for miles. I wish Michelin would make Commander II's for it though. Currently they don't.

I wonder if it's more of a tire issue than a Harley issue. Every time I replace tires with something other than Dunlops I see better results. I have Elite III's on the F6 now. At first I liked the responsiveness of them but they seem to cause vibrations at higher speeds. I didn't have that with the Stones. I'll go back to Stones if Michelin doesn't step up and make the tire I want for the wing.

Darren
07-16-2014, 12:08 PM
I saw the video a few days ago, there are definitely some issues, the section that compares the police HD with the BMW clearly shows that. Now whether the cause is chassis related or as HD claims the addition of aftermarket parts who knows, but it does say something that HD have settled claims out of court.

Smoothcruz
07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
My '06 Soft tail was doing this right around 40-45 m.p.h. I figured it may need to have the head bearings tightened. I traded it for this F6B before I bothered with it.

FlatSixBagger
07-16-2014, 03:47 PM
only on a new sportster have i, and I trade it after the incident

smokinjoe187
07-16-2014, 04:00 PM

no wobble on my 09 electra glide but death wobble on my buddys 2006 street glide....

CheckpointChcky
07-16-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't think I've ever wobbled on any bike I've owned and I've had 10 of them.

Benk
07-16-2014, 08:48 PM

what year?no problem whatsoever on my Sportster

ED209
07-16-2014, 09:32 PM
My past Harleys all acted different. The only one that wobbled "of sorts" was my 1990 883 Sportster and it only did that at attempts to break 100mph. AT about 95mph it was floating all over the road, or uhhh track. :duck: The Fatboy had issues with the tires I think, it rode like it had steel tires, felt every single cut or mismatch in the road and would wiggle on them at any speed. My 1980 FLH seemed pretty straight forward up to 100mph no issues.

Like one of the posts above says, it can happen on any make or model. Is all about the rider, the road, the wind, the tires, the neck bearings ect...

My past Yamaha Warrior would skip on the rear tire when running hard in corners and applying brakes, other than that it was fantastic. My Yamaha Stratoliner was great all around. I helped out a Yamaha Raider fellow whos neck bearing nut went lose (death wobbler), it was fine after the repair.

My best friend rides a 2006 Harley Road King and runs with me all day even at higher speeds and has never complained about any issues. So I do really believe its a hit or miss thing on any model. It just gets reported a lot on Harleys because there are 14 quadzillion million Harleys per acre in this country. :icon_lol:

chipmaker
07-16-2014, 09:42 PM
My 2010 Deluxe had what I would call a high speed uneasiness. I tried adjusting fall away(head bearings) and truing spokes, never could get freeway confidence. I loved that bike, but I need to have bikes freeway capable. I traded it in for F6B.

yellow rex
07-16-2014, 09:53 PM
The 1800 has had a lot of deceleration complaints but
I have not seen a post that it made some one go down,
and Honda tells you that it only happens when you take
your hands off the handle bars.

XKnight
07-19-2014, 12:01 AM
I've owned a bunch of Harleys and never experienced this issue. Hope to never experience it on any bike regardless of brand.