PDA

View Full Version : Givi trunk

mtcgun
07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
I have an upcoming 5000 mile trip planned and had been worried about how to pack that much gear. Then remembered I had an old Givi Monokey top box out in the barn that was on a Pacific Coast I had years ago. Apparently Honda hasnt changed its red color in 20 years either, I think it matches pretty good. Anyway, I had to drill 2 new holes in the givi mount to match the holes that the backrest mounts to and viola.. Detachable trunk. I have to pretty up the bolts a bit but you get the general idea. Anyway, the wife will be happy that it only cost me 4 new longer bolts. And when I get back from the trip, it all comes back off with 4 bolts and backrest back on.69396940694169426943

smokinjoe187
07-16-2014, 04:02 PM
I have an upcoming 5000 mile trip planned and had been worried about how to pack that much gear. Then remembered I had an old Givi Monokey top box out in the barn that was on a Pacific Coast I had years ago. Apparently Honda hasnt changed its red color in 20 years either, I think it matches pretty good. Anyway, I had to drill 2 new holes in the givi mount to match the holes that the backrest mounts to and viola.. Detachable trunk. I have to pretty up the bolts a bit but you get the general idea. Anyway, the wife will be happy that it only cost me 4 new longer bolts. And when I get back from the trip, it all comes back off with 4 bolts and backrest back on.69396940694169426943

i did the same..made an adapter for the small saddleman trunk...model 1700
wife never rides so im good with a small extra trunk
and yes i know....usless with out pictures but i aint got none!!

Wild Bill
07-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Looks good..

F6BPDX
07-16-2014, 06:23 PM
That looks like it works out very nicely. And the color is spot on, couple of yellow stripes and you are good to go.

The Highwayman
07-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Looks great. I intend to do something similar with mine. Twisted Throttle has a luggage rack that has the Givi mount integrated. I figure the trunk functions as a backrest when I have passenger or extra storage for a longer tour.

Is that case a 52 litre Maxia, I wonder how large I can go without interference with the antenna?

darcym
07-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Looks great. I intend to do something similar with mine. Twisted Throttle has a luggage rack that has the Givi mount integrated. I figure the trunk functions as a backrest when I have passenger or extra storage for a longer tour.

Is that case a 52 litre Maxia, I wonder how large I can go without interference with the antenna?

I just put the 52 liter GIVI case on my F6B, using the steel rack from Twisted Throttle. You also have to buy and attach the adapter. Unfortunately, the steel rack does not use the same mounts as the stock Honda rack (which my bike came pre-installed with). So you have to take off the seat, the top and small rear body pieces to remove the stock hardware and reinstall the new hardware for the steel rack (which does match the same holes in the body work - just a different threaded mount). The rack is slightly larger than the stock back rack, and the 52 liter case slips right on and locks down nicely. The case does contact the antenna and bends it slightly aft, but not enough to worry about. I wouldn't get a case that's any larger, though.

Scotrod
07-16-2014, 10:37 PM
That looks like it works out very nicely. And the color is spot on, couple of yellow stripes and you are good to go.

:yes:

I'm not a hardcase kinda guy, but a couple yellow stripes added to what ya have there will sure make it look like 'it was part of the bike'! :yes:

Excellent SCORE on having something like that (In the right color!!!!) just layin around that only required a little modding to fit yer 6! :yes: :yes:

"Bolt dressin' will be EZ,,, maybe some black hose/tubing over the bolts, paint the nuts,,,

Heck yeah! :icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
07-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Sorry to the guys that have seen this pic posted a number of times in other threads. There are a number of options for trunks as seen here with these two. Your GIVI looks great!

Morpheous
07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Hiflyer, what kind of trunk is that? How did you mount it?

That is nice as long as it is an easy on, easy off.

hiflyer
07-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Hiflyer, what kind of trunk is that? How did you mount it?

That is nice as long as it is an easy on, easy off.

It's a 2014 Harley chopped tour pack. Takes less than a couple of minutes to take off or put on. I have it off after mounting my new seat, I'm going to put it back on in the next day or two, I'll send you some pics via private message when I do it.

Morpheous
07-17-2014, 01:58 PM
ok Thanks Hiflyer.:clap2:

mtcgun
07-18-2014, 11:33 PM
I do like the looks of yours a lot better hiflyer, but this one didnt cost me anything, so it'll do for this trip. :)

The Highwayman
07-19-2014, 09:43 AM
I just put the 52 liter GIVI case on my F6B, using the steel rack from Twisted Throttle. You also have to buy and attach the adapter. Unfortunately, the steel rack does not use the same mounts as the stock Honda rack (which my bike came pre-installed with). So you have to take off the seat, the top and small rear body pieces to remove the stock hardware and reinstall the new hardware for the steel rack (which does match the same holes in the body work - just a different threaded mount). The rack is slightly larger than the stock back rack, and the 52 liter case slips right on and locks down nicely. The case does contact the antenna and bends it slightly aft, but not enough to worry about. I wouldn't get a case that's any larger, though.

Thanks for the info!

ED209
07-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Im not a trunk guy, but it looks good. :yes:

tulku36
07-21-2014, 12:48 AM

What Liter trunk is that ?

mtcgun
07-21-2014, 02:13 PM
What Liter trunk is that ?

Not really sure, It came on a bike I had several years ago. I didnt buy it. I'll go look and see if its marked somewhere

mtcgun
07-21-2014, 02:40 PM
It appears to be like this 52lt one. http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monokey-cases/e52nfa-52ltr-matte-black-w-l-detail

mtcgun
07-21-2014, 02:51 PM

I almost bought the twisted throttle rack until I located my Givi rack that went with it. For anyone looking to buy one, the Givi rack is only $60 as opposed to the twisted throttle one @ $150. http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/mounting-hardware/top-case-mounting/m3-monokey-plate-detail Plus the Givi mount allows you to use the built in brake lights on the Givi monokey box.

darcym
07-21-2014, 08:43 PM
I almost bought the twisted throttle rack until I located my Givi rack that went with it. For anyone looking to buy one, the Givi rack is only $60 as opposed to the twisted throttle one @ $150. http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/mounting-hardware/top-case-mounting/m3-monokey-plate-detail Plus the Givi mount allows you to use the built in brake lights on the Givi monokey box.

This top plate kit is designed to be combined with the GIVI …F series Monoracks. When combined this kit will enable the model specific mounting
solution of the GIVI MONOKEY series cases.

It could probably be adapted to other racks, but I wasn't willing to risk it. The twisted throttle kit is just the locking nut pieces added onto the steel rack. It doesn't mean you couldn't add the brake light kit on later, either.

F6badass
07-25-2014, 04:20 PM
It's a 2014 Harley chopped tour pack. Takes less than a couple of minutes to take off or put on. I have it off after mounting my new seat, I'm going to put it back on in the next day or two, I'll send you some pics via private message when I do it.

I like your set up it looks amazing how do you mount it to the bike

JackBurns40
07-26-2014, 09:32 AM

Feel free to post to the board!

Bigred
07-26-2014, 06:44 PM
I used the hondabikepro rack to mount the Givi case. The rack is super sturdy and can hold as much as you can put on it. I also serves as the mounting platform for my Admore LED rear and side lighting arrays.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?296-rear-rack-for-f6b&p=13987&viewfull=1#post13987

hiflyer
07-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Feel free to post to the board!

Okie dokie, as I have shared before, the base is a cut down HD detachable rack I had, I epoxied some washers on the bottom of the mount for added stability, I used the HD part for looks from the side and rear, and also because it fit the chopped box. Spacers made from pipe, box is screwed to the Honda luggage mount fittings. I used a hole saw thru the bottom of the box to gain access to the mounting plate. I cover those with tape, although no water can get in, and all is covered with the rubber mat. I attached a loop at the bottom of the box and ran the antenna thru that. I keep the box mounted to the plate at all times and it takes just a couple minutes to mount or dismount. The chopped box looks like a stock Honda part, and due to it's low silhouette the bike maintains a far different look than a standard wing. Works for me.

Kurare79
07-29-2014, 02:28 PM
I am likewise not a fan of trunks, but i have to admit you guys are really good craftsman - great results! :yes::yes::yes::clap2:

RcBtx1999
07-29-2014, 03:19 PM
I understand the reason for the acquisition for a trunk, but if you really wanted that extra rom, why not buy the Standard Goldwing with the trunk. To me this bike looks so good without a trunk on the back, I am completely satisfied with a bungied bag, or buying or constructing a trailer for my extra gear.:stirthepot:

hiflyer
07-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I understand the reason for the acquisition for a trunk, but if you really wanted that extra rom, why not buy the Standard Goldwing with the trunk. To me this bike looks so good without a trunk on the back, I am completely satisfied with a bungied bag, or buying or constructing a trailer for my extra gear.:stirthepot:

I don't run the thing all the time. It's all about choices. Check out my other posts for my other options. If I had wanted a full wing, that's what I would have bought.

mtcgun
07-29-2014, 09:07 PM

I dont intend to run the trunk all the time either, like I said, have a 5000 mile trip coming up and a trunk sitting in the barn already (ie, free!) So why not? I bought 4 bolts, otherwise existing equipment. I was waiting for the first "if you want a trunk, why didnt you buy a goldwing" comment. :icon_biggrin:

darcym
07-30-2014, 01:30 PM
I'll probably ride with the trunk all the time, although most of the time it will be empty while I'm riding, and only used when parked. I use the trunk as a place to store helmet and jacket and gloves when I'm off the bike. Since the side bags aren't big enough for a full face helmet, and I don't care for the existing helmet lock on the bike, the GIVI was the way to go. The GIVI that I have on there now is low and sleek looking, I think it looks great with the bike. If I travel it will be a great place to store a camera to have at the ready.

I like the full size goldwing, but this is the bike I wanted. There is a lot of other stuff on the goldwing that I didn't want, and I never ride with passengers so I don't really need all that accommodation.

hiflyer
07-30-2014, 01:44 PM
I'll probably ride with the trunk all the time, although most of the time it will be empty while I'm riding, and only used when parked. I use the trunk as a place to store helmet and jacket and gloves when I'm off the bike. Since the side bags aren't big enough for a full face helmet, and I don't care for the existing helmet lock on the bike, the GIVI was the way to go. The GIVI that I have on there now is low and sleek looking, I think it looks great with the bike. If I travel it will be a great place to store a camera to have at the ready.

I like the full size goldwing, but this is the bike I wanted. There is a lot of other stuff on the goldwing that I didn't want, and I never ride with passengers so I don't really need all that accommodation.

Yep, I like mine too, even though it won't hold a helmet. I use mine daily to carry my computer back and forth to the office, and to have everything I need when working MSF classes. In my opinion, this ain't your daddy's Goldwing.

Cool Hand Luke
07-30-2014, 11:19 PM
I love the looks, that's awesome. I like that it's easily removable. I don't need extra storage when riding by myself, which is almost always, but sometimes my mom and I go riding and I want her to have a backrest. This would do. I do wonder though what would a Razor Trunk look like instead of chopped one? Hmmm...

darcym
08-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Here's the GIVI Maxia trunk on my bike
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/My%20Honda%20Goldwing%20F6B/20140803_125025_zpsbf7ad68e.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/My%20Honda%20Goldwing%20F6B/20140803_125025_zpsbf7ad68e.jpg.html)

It's big enough to hold a full face modular helmet and an armored jacket, plus any little thing I'd like to have handy but secured. I think it looks pretty slick.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/My%20Honda%20Goldwing%20F6B/20140803_125059_zps8a9d817f.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/My%20Honda%20Goldwing%20F6B/20140803_125059_zps8a9d817f.jpg.html)

Here's the steel rack I got from Twisted Throttle, with the GIVI mounting hardware installed. The GIVI trunk goes on and off easy with just the key.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/My%20Honda%20Goldwing%20F6B/20140803_131058_zps722fac26.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/My%20Honda%20Goldwing%20F6B/20140803_131058_zps722fac26.jpg.html)

The stock bracket is on top, it's just slightly smaller than the new rack.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/My%20Honda%20Goldwing%20F6B/20140803_131134_zps90cedd44.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/My%20Honda%20Goldwing%20F6B/20140803_131134_zps90cedd44.jpg.html)

You have to use the mounting hardware that comes with the steel rack, it fits through the same plastic pieces used for the stock HONDA Rack, but it uses differently threaded bolts. Installation was pretty easy. I have a stock Honda rack and mounts to sell now.

hiflyer
08-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Here's the GIVI Maxia trunk on my bike
[

It's big enough to hold a full face modular helmet and an armored jacket, plus any little thing I'd like to have handy but secured. I think it looks pretty slick.

I agree, looks good. You and I have the same thought process, i.e., "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't"

mtcgun
08-05-2014, 03:08 PM
My Razor tour pack arrived today. Now to paint it. Until then I'll have to use the Givi

hiflyer
08-05-2014, 03:45 PM
My Razor tour pack arrived today. Now to paint it. Until then I'll have to use the Givi

VOILA!!! If you plan on carrying a passenger with it installed, be sure you leave plenty of seat room, before you drill any holes. That sure would look good if you can get the paint to match the saddle bags!

Cool Hand Luke
08-05-2014, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=mtcgun;40775]My Razor tour pack arrived today. Now to paint it.

Now that's what I'm talking about! It definitely looks sporty. I'm looking forward to completed look. Make sure the angle of the trunk match the lines of the bike. Please post pictures from different angles when all done, thanks!

mtcgun
08-05-2014, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=mtcgun;40775]My Razor tour pack arrived today. Now to paint it.

Now that's what I'm talking about! It definitely looks sporty. I'm looking forward to completed look. Make sure the angle of the trunk match the lines of the bike. Please post pictures from different angles when all done, thanks!

I will, its just sitting on the Givi rack..

TnHeath
08-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Great job...this my next step for my new F6B trike. Amazing how much this set up reminds me of my Pacific Coast 800 that I dearly love...

mtcgun
08-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Ive had 3 PC800s. fun bikes.

mtcgun
08-23-2014, 07:21 PM
The Razor trunk is back from paint.. Getting closer! No its not mounted here in the picture, it will be angled down to match the body lines, I just couldnt wait to set it up there..

Cool Hand Luke
08-23-2014, 07:32 PM
The Razor trunk is back from paint.. Getting closer! No its not mounted here in the picture, it will be angled down to match the body lines, I just couldnt wait to set it up there..

To me that looks perfect, kind of sporty with some packing room and backrest for passenger when needed. I ride solo mostly but if had a passenger this would be a great addition. Looks like you went the extra mile and got the black hinges instead of chrome ones.

Are you coming to Rally? It would be great to see it in person.

I also liked your yellow line idea so I did a red one on my black bike!

Felloverboard
09-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Several aftermarket Trunks on Amazon. Very reasonable. Bought one for my 750 Shadow, works fine. Holds 2 full Helmets.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006THWK06/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A24FJG9QJIEUE2

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Scooter-Trunk-Luggage-X-Large/dp/B004TLKA3I/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TC8CR64ASJX2HQDQMM7#productDetails

srt8-in-largo
11-02-2014, 01:15 AM
Subscribed

Greg_N
11-19-2014, 05:37 AM
Sorry but in my subjective opinion, it doesn't fit at all. Straight lines and square shapes of saddlebags are opposite to rounded shape of Givi trunk. It hurts my feeling of aestheticism. Maybe Givi will design something new, something adapted to shape of F6B? We must wait a little.
But it's only my humble opinion and as our ancestors says "De gustibus non disputandum est" (The sense of style is not subject of dispute").

Corbin produces something quite nice and looking very good:
http://corbin.com/honda/hf6bsmug.shtml

mtcgun
11-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Sorry but in my subjective opinion, it doesn't fit at all. Straight lines and square shapes of saddlebags are opposite to rounded shape of Givi trunk. It hurts my feeling of aestheticism. Maybe Givi will design something new, something adapted to shape of F6B? We must wait a little.
But it's only my humble opinion and as our ancestors says "De gustibus non disputandum est" (The sense of style is not subject of dispute").

Corbin produces something quite nice and looking very good:
http://corbin.com/honda/hf6bsmug.shtml
Well it was only on temporarily on there anyway until the straight line square shape trunk was ready

Greg_N
11-20-2014, 04:58 AM
Congrats mtcgun, seems much better.

sksfox
12-25-2014, 06:44 PM
I have 2 (razor & chopped)HD tour packs I would like to mount one or the other and would like to see pix also.
Thanks Steve.
sksfox@bellsouth.net

ths61
04-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Okie dokie, as I have shared before, the base is a cut down HD detachable rack I had, I epoxied some washers on the bottom of the mount for added stability, I used the HD part for looks from the side and rear, and also because it fit the chopped box. Spacers made from pipe, box is screwed to the Honda luggage mount fittings. I used a hole saw thru the bottom of the box to gain access to the mounting plate. I cover those with tape, although no water can get in, and all is covered with the rubber mat. I attached a loop at the bottom of the box and ran the antenna thru that. I keep the box mounted to the plate at all times and it takes just a couple minutes to mount or dismount. The chopped box looks like a stock Honda part, and due to it's low silhouette the bike maintains a far different look than a standard wing. Works for me.

Thanks for sharing this. :yes:

stevenolts
04-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Well it was only on temporarily on there anyway until the straight line square shape trunk was ready

I see from the picture you have what looks to be a CB750K in your garage. I also own a 1981 CB750K and the F6B.

I mounted my Harley Davidson leather covered hard tour pack on the F6B. I used the Show Chrome rack but it would be difficult to remove and put back on.
How did you make you yours easy to remove?

I need it because the saddle bags feel like they are going to break when I close the door with my modular full face Scorpion EXO900 transformer helmet. The door open light also comes on sometimes. I have attached pictures of the tour pack on both bikes.

Steve

mtcgun
04-16-2015, 08:40 PM
It's my son's 550 four. My razor trunk is just bolted to the 4 holes for the factory backrest. I just used longer bolts and spacers to get the angle I wanted. It's 4 bolts to take off. Maybe 10 minutes tops

mtcgun
05-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Well since I replaced the Givi trunk with the HD Razor, It seemed a shame to waste all that Givi stuff sitting in a corner, may as well make it useful for trips right?

srt8-in-largo
05-27-2015, 08:40 PM
HA! nice.

mtcgun
06-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Took the "wing wart" out for a weekend test run. Put together from stuff I already had laying around here and ended up with basically the same storage capacity as a full Goldwing that is fully removable in seconds. Didnt even notice it was back there, and it sits low enough that the tail/turn signals arent blocked by it either. Never knew it was even back there. 14934

Cool Hand Luke
06-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Took the "wing wart" out for a weekend test run. Put together from stuff I already had laying around here and ended up with basically the same storage capacity as a full Goldwing that is fully removable in seconds. Didnt even notice it was back there, and it sits low enough that the tail/turn signals arent blocked by it either. Never knew it was even back there. 14934

Very cool and innovative thinking here!

ths61
06-28-2015, 10:41 PM

How much tongue weight does the F6B hitches support ?

TIA

F6B1911
06-28-2015, 11:03 PM
How much tongue weight does the F6B hitches support ? TIA

This is from the website description:
"The rack is rated at a maximum 35lbs. capacity due to handling and cornering performance."

Here's a PIC from Rivco

mtcgun
06-29-2015, 10:12 AM
As the pic above shows, they're pretty stout. I probably wouldn't put a loaded 55 gallon yeti cooler back there, but its adequate for my little box with a full face helmet, couple pair jeans, shoes and rain gear in it.