PDA

View Full Version : using the center stand

zeus661
07-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Is there a trick to raising the bike on the center stand? Can't figure out how to do it.

jakec
07-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Put left hand on left handgrip, put right hand on rear grab bar, put right foot on center stand pedal, keep left foot on floor. Make sure both legs of center stand are on floor by slightly rocking back and forth, push down on center stand pedal with right foot and pull up and back with right hand on rear grab rail. Practice with a friend on other side of bike in case you need help. If you want to make it real easy, roll rear wheel up on a 3/4" board and then lift.

Ericb445
07-16-2014, 07:54 PM
There are many youtube videos on how to do it.
But Jake summed it up right.

CheesyRider
07-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Here you go:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XS0uToSeM34?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another option is to gain 80 pounds. It's amazing how easy it was to put any bike on its center stand when I weighed more.

gray rider
07-16-2014, 08:10 PM
As I stated in an earlier thread, wearing a stiff soled pair of boots makes this much easier. I'm pretty strong after years of doing heavy labor and I can barely manage to pull the F6 onto the center stand without some stiff boots on allowing me to get my full weight on the tang. As stated, a 3/4" board under the rear tire really helps.

Coop creek
07-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Agree with sturdy boots. I find it works better if I am facing forward when stepping on the centerstand (eyes towards windshield). Bike in neutral and pull in clutch. Use your right heel on the stand and let your weight do the work. Also, it's easier on a concrete surface verses softer asphalt.

RickW
07-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Here you go:
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XS0uToSeM34?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Another option is to gain 80 pounds. It's amazing how easy it was to put any bike on its center stand when I weighed more.

He sure makes it look easy.

motozeke
07-16-2014, 10:02 PM
If you don't get both feet of the stand down on the ground you will never be able to put the bike on the center stand. Took me years to figure that one out.

Scotrod
07-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Agree with sturdy boots. I find it works better if I am facing forward when stepping on the centerstand (eyes towards windshield). .

Yep. Not something ya want ta do in house slippers,,, :nono:

I get better 'leverage' with my R arm when facing forwards. Lean back into the grab handle a bit and let my R leg do the work.

Once ya get the 'move' down, it's not bad at all.

richw56
07-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Same as a few of the other posters, it's easier for me when I face the front of the bike.
I keep my left hand on the the left handlebar grip, and push the bars into a slight right turn position - that seems to make it easier for me to keep the bike perfectly balanced on both feet of the stand as I'm popping it up.
Somebody mentioned trying to have a friend on the other side of the bike to assist while you're getting the hang of it - I think that's a good idea - not necessarily to help lift, but also because it might make it easier for you to feel confident getting both center stand feet on the ground without worrying that you're going to push the bike over onto its right side.
It seems that a lot of us have struggled with this during our first few attempts.
Just stick with it - you'll develop the knack for it in no time.

Bruce B
07-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Yes, sturdy boots / shoes do make it much easier. Flip flops hurt. Here's what works for me. Your results may vary (for those who think these ideas suck). Since the bike will move back a bit during this process, the front wheel should be straight. At first the idea of pushing down on the stand made the process really hard. Much easier for me is to hold the left grip in my left hand, push the stand down and insure that both feet of the stand are on the ground. Grip the passenger grip with my right hand. Then, I do DO NOT simply push the stand down, I stand on it with my right foot putting all my weight on it by taking my left foot off the ground. At the same time, I pull smoothly and hard on the passenger grip with my right hand. Note that when both feet of the stand are firmly on the ground, there is no tendency for the bike to tip over. Keeping the body close to the bike is important. From the bikes centerline, I face about the 2 o'clock position which puts my right shoulder almost above the passenger grip and allows me a direct upward pull with my right hand and arm. My foot on the stand is facing about 2-3:00, just a bit forward. Others probably like the foot facing more to the rear. My leg is actually providing most of the lifting power, not arm muscle. Standing a bit to the side and trying to push down on the stand is not going to work well. At the age of 71, I'm no muscle man but find that this technique works very well with no real strain. Pretty much the same technique as all the others but with some personal variations.

SmallPasture
07-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Be very careful w/ wet shoes/boots!!!!!! That will ruin your day Fo Sho!!!:022:

Fla_rider
07-17-2014, 08:01 AM
timing is everything the lift and step down done at the sametime, Neutual helps with this bike also.

MSGT-R
07-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Easy; I get my husband to do it. :icon_mrgreen:

It's a little tuffer with the Smuggler trunk, the handles have been removed.
We made a rope handle to wrap around the rear crash bar to grab onto.

SmallPasture
07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Easy; I get my husband to do it. :icon_mrgreen:

It's a little tuffer with the Smuggler trunk, the handles have been removed.
We made a rope handle to wrap around the rear crash bar to grab onto.

I was looking at the Smuggler earlier today and was asking that exact question. How, w/out rear hand grabs, do ya git'er up on the centerstand???:shrug:
It's as simple as a rope handle, huh?:icon_doh: Excellent!!!!:yes::yes:

Where do you keep it while riding, and I gotta see a pic of that rope handle and that Smuggler??? You like it? The more I look at it the more I like it.:icon_biggrin:

xzvs
07-23-2014, 07:45 PM
do it all day everyday -- it's a learned technique -- once you get the mechanics of it down its just a little harder than a scooter . I am usually on a slippery rack sooo... follow above instructions

jaygollner
07-23-2014, 07:56 PM
I would suggest that you not use the center stand when backed into the curb on the side of the road, that's how I learned to pick my bike up from the right side while trying to rock it off of the center stand.