PDA

View Full Version : Impressions Of My First 750 Miles

Smoothcruz
07-18-2014, 09:02 AM
It Finally stopped raining ! I stretched the FB6 for a 450-mile ride yesterday. I rode hwy 100 from Palatka to Lake City, headed North on 441 to the Suwannee River in Fargo, Ga. Took some pics there, which I've got to learn to post, then I continued North on 441.I met a fellow and his wife stopped aside the road with heir Goldwing trike and trailer. I invited them to follow me along and we enjoyed lunch together at to pig-out at the OLD TIME Country Buffett in Douglas, Ga. That was some good-eating at a good price and well worth the 200-mile ride ! I made 2 new friends to boot!

I went from there East through Douglas to catch hwy 158. I caught it South through Folkston and Waycross. Then jumped on Hwy 301 to Hawthorne where I got on Hwy 20 back home. I left at 11:00 a.m and got home around 9:45p.m.

The bike was smooth as silk. Coming off a "piped" Harley Softail to this bike was a world of difference. I had a speeding problem as I usually found myself cruising around 80 m.p.h. What impressed me most was how effortless this bike accelerates when passing cars. I found myself at 100 m.p.h a couple of times while passing. I'm finally getting use to the fairing but am still cussing Honda engineers for making me have to use a key to get into my glove compartment and saddlebags:banghead: I actually stopped at an ACE hardware to get keys made while on this trip. They had no matches.

The slow-speed handling in the parking lots is amazing for such a large bike. I had people stopping and looking at my F6B everywhere I stopped. They never saw anything like it.
My gas mileage was about 39 m.p.g, which I attribute to the challenge of keeping this bike under 80 m.p.h.

The Harley Softail with the RUSH exhaust and Stage 1 kit was like a Sherman tank, you knew it was coming and it made it's presence known a s I rode it. The F6B is the Stealth Bomber. Sleek, silent, and fast.:biggthumpup:

bob109
07-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Home Depot or Lowe's both have the 27R Key Blank.

Funny that you mention Palatka as I routinely visit Corky Bells for lunch when I winter over in Orange Lake. There's absolutely great riding in North Central Fl. I'll have too look you up when I arrive in October:icon_biggrin:

There's another great place to eat in your back yard! Three Banana's on RT 17:icon_lol:

Best of luck with your 6:039:

Safe Riding

Bob

racer
07-18-2014, 02:28 PM
It Finally stopped raining ! I stretched the FB6 for a 450-mile ride yesterday. I rode hwy 100 from Palatka to Lake City, headed North on 441 to the Suwannee River in Fargo, Ga. Took some pics there, which I've got to learn to post, then I continued North on 441.I met a fellow and his wife stopped aside the road with heir Goldwing trike and trailer. I invited them to follow me along and we enjoyed lunch together at to pig-out at the OLD TIME Country Buffett in Douglas, Ga. That was some good-eating at a good price and well worth the 200-mile ride ! I made 2 new friends to boot!

I went from there East through Douglas to catch hwy 158. I caught it South through Folkston and Waycross. Then jumped on Hwy 301 to Hawthorne where I got on Hwy 20 back home. I left at 11:00 a.m and got home around 9:45p.m.

The bike was smooth as silk. Coming off a "piped" Harley Softail to this bike was a world of difference. I had a speeding problem as I usually found myself cruising around 80 m.p.h. What impressed me most was how effortless this bike accelerates when passing cars. I found myself at 100 m.p.h a couple of times while passing. I'm finally getting use to the fairing but am still cussing Honda engineers for making me have to use a key to get into my glove compartment and saddlebags:banghead: I actually stopped at an ACE hardware to get keys made while on this trip. They had no matches.

The slow-speed handling in the parking lots is amazing for such a large bike. I had people stopping and looking at my F6B everywhere I stopped. They never saw anything like it.
My gas mileage was about 39 m.p.g, which I attribute to the challenge of keeping this bike under 80 m.p.h.

The Harley Softail with the RUSH exhaust and Stage 1 kit was like a Sherman tank, you knew it was coming and it made it's presence known a s I rode it. The F6B is the Stealth Bomber. Sleek, silent, and fast.:biggthumpup:

Sounds like you had a nice ride. The 6 is smooth operator. .notworthy.

Smoothcruz
07-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Home Depot or Lowe's both have the 27R Key Blank.

Funny that you mention Palatka as I routinely visit Corky Bells for lunch when I winter over in Orange Lake. ......

Corky Bell and my Dad are neighbors and golf buddies. He let's his daughter, Melissa, manage the restaurant. He has a fine restaurant there, that's for sure! Definitely look me up when you're in town. 3 Bananas is a good place for Quesadillas but if I'm in the South end of the county I usually ride to Shrimps R Us in Welaka.
I just cut some keys today. It'll take one step at a time to get this baby like I want it.:biggthumpup:

Texas TC
07-18-2014, 08:22 PM
If you have the keys, time to get some radio knobs to complete the job. I used Honda knobs for the gas door and glove box and, thanks to bob109, an old Sony stereo knob for the saddlebag lock. Cut the keys and attached them to the knobs with Gorilla Glue. Best thing about this setup is that none of the cut keys will fit in the key valley to start the motorcycle. I leave the gas door and glove box keys in place most of the time. The saddlebag lock is only removed when I leave the bike to go in somewhere but only if I have anything in the bags I want to protect.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6978[ATTACH=CONFIG]6979[

ED209
07-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Corky Bell and my Dad are neighbors and golf buddies. He let's his daughter, Melissa, manage the restaurant. He has a fine restaurant there, that's for sure! Definitely look me up when you're in town. 3 Bananas is a good place for Quesadillas but if I'm in the South end of the county I usually ride to Shrimps R Us in Welaka.
I just cut some keys today. It'll take one step at a time to get this baby like I want it.:biggthumpup:

The Outback Crab Shack is great too. :yes: Plus you would have to go past my house and pick me up. :biggthumpup: