PDA

View Full Version : Riders foot pegs vs Floor Boards

BBB
07-18-2014, 10:16 AM
It's been almost 3 weeek since I bought my F6.

My previous bike had floor boards and hel-toe shifters which I miss greatly.

So, like many of you here, I have been looking into chaging it, but at the same time, I started to like (or getting used to?)
the sportier "feel" of my F6 with the stock foot pegs....

Besides, I think if I get the floor boards, the stock position would be just a little bit too far back for the boards to be comfortable......What I mean by this is that I find my toes pointing down rather than horizontal with the pavement when I'm riding.

Then I see Kury's Mini Board with off-set mount to lower the foot position which seems like a good set up (except they will drag easier....)
It seems like this set up would cure my "Difficult to upshift w/ toe shiter with my boots)"

Too many choices and I end up even more confused! lol

So I figured I should post it here and wanted hear from you those who has the floor boards and how you feel about them compared to stock pegs (Comfort-wise AND functionality).

Hear is my optios I'm conidering:

1. Get the DHS Racing's shifter, so I can fine tune the shifter height.
or
2. Get the Kury's heel-toe shifter (keep the stock pegs)
or
3. keep the stock shifter, but get the mini-floor boards
or
4. Get the Kury's (or other manufactures, for that matter) Floor-boards/ heel-toe shifter.

What are your thoughts/ opinions?

Thanks you for your input in advance.

bob109
07-18-2014, 10:32 AM
My two previous bikes, i.e. Yamaha Stratoliner S and Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux, both had floor boards with heel/toe shifters. When I first drove my 6 away from the Dealership my initial reaction was "Oh $hit" what did I do. After racking up my "break-in mileage" I had fully adjusted to the F6B rider pegs/shifter. With almost 19K miles I've adapted to the 6 rider position and feel uncomfortable on any bike with floor boards. Do yourself a favor and give yourself some time to adapt to your new ride and you may find yourself saving some money on unneeded options.

Westernbiker
07-18-2014, 10:35 AM
My two previous bikes, i.e. Yamaha Stratoliner S and Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux, both had floor boards with heel/toe shifters. When I first drove my 6 away from the Dealership my initial reaction was "Oh $hit" what did I do. After racking up my 'break-in mileage" I had fully adjusted to the F6B rider pegs/shifter. With almost 19K miles I've fully adapted to the 6 rider position and feel uncomfortable on any bike with floor boards. Do yourself a favor and give yourself some time to adapt to your new ride and you may find yourself saving some money on unneeded options.

Totally agree +1

Retired Army
07-18-2014, 10:49 AM
The dealer I bought the bike from gave me a military discount and installed these for free. I use them simply because they don't mar boots.6974

BBB
07-18-2014, 10:56 AM
My two previous bikes, i.e. Yamaha Stratoliner S and Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux, both had floor boards with heel/toe shifters. When I first drove my 6 away from the Dealership my initial reaction was "Oh $hit" what did I do. After racking up my "break-in mileage" I had fully adjusted to the F6B rider pegs/shifter. With almost 19K miles I've adapted to the 6 rider position and feel uncomfortable on any bike with floor boards. Do yourself a favor and give yourself some time to adapt to your new ride and you may find yourself saving some money on unneeded options.

I realy appreciate with your input. I think I'll just do that.
Besides, I need to stick with my vow: Not spend money on accessories but use the money for gas! lol
Just like you, it took me at least a few rides to get used to the toe shifter (and the lack of the toe room).

Yeah, I think I'll give it more time to get more used to it. :)

Scotrod
07-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Kury mini's w/comfort drops.

Leading edge tilted down a click.

(I'm no 'Ricky-Racer' so the little bit of cornering clearance lost with this set-up is a non-issue. :motorcycle2:)

MC specific riding shoes.

This combination gives me comfort and easy shiftin,,, Very happy! :yes: 'riding'

F6B-RICH
07-18-2014, 12:19 PM
I had to change the rider footpegs asap.I was not able to get my foot under the shifter good.I purchased the Kury boards and have them angled down in the front so now its a lot easier to shift and I have now no problems .batman-smilie.

Scotrod
07-18-2014, 12:29 PM
For whatever reason, after about an hour, my feet don't like pegs ,,,. The mobility they provide with a toe shifter is excellent, but the 6 requires the least amount of shifting of any bike I've ever owned,,,

I had a Kury H/T installed at one time but it moved the LH board out about 1 - 1 1/4" That, and I never really melded with the 'toe' part of it,, :shrug: It's been sittin on the shelf ever since.

jkelley
07-18-2014, 04:00 PM
I can't stay on the pegs for long but with the highway pegs, I can survive.

I tried the mini boards down one click and still struggled with getting my toe under the shifter, then I went for a long ride and ended up scraping the crap out of them on several curves I had normally ridden several times before at the same speeds. I ended up going back to stock and gave the mini boards to a friend. I never personally liked the heel toe shifters on the Harleys I had and given the possibility of more pressure exerted on the hi - lo shift dogs in the trans. I will never use one. There are several people including dealers that have said ( Gl1800 forum) the added pressure can lead to ghost shifting, and transmission issues which I hope to avoid..

fast eddie
07-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Mini floor boards kury heal toe got my vote

jellybean
07-18-2014, 10:16 PM
I've been riding for 9 years with 50000 miles credit with my cruiser...But after a month with F6B I have to order heel and toe shifter, I did not feel comfortable with toe shifted only...and keep the stock peg...115 lbs and 5'3"...I want a lots but I do know my limit and comfort zone.

JB

Ray H
07-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Jellybean… Just saw an almost new set for sale on the for sale by owners section of the site. Great savings.

cwjj2001
07-20-2014, 02:53 PM
I have the mini boards and for me they work pretty good. I do have them pointed down slightly but it really depends on shoe size and the type of shoes your wearing. Overall they give your foot some rest especially on long rides.

Slingah
07-20-2014, 05:19 PM
I had to give it time as well. But like others have said, am completely use to it now. For aggressive and normal riding the pegs and position are perfect for me. I did have to get different boots as shifting was an issue. I am looking at highway pegs now though to stretch a little as my bad knees ache on long rides.

GNW
07-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Just my opinion. On the F6, I thought a lot about it too.
I will take the OEM pegs with Rivco Flip-Out Highway Pegs. For me with the F6 this is comfortable for me.

jaygollner
07-20-2014, 07:01 PM
I put the kury floorboard toe heel shifter combo on and after riding with the boards I will never go back to pegs. The boards do scrape from time to time but I bought a can of undercoat paint and will paint the bottom when they get bad enough.

BBB
07-21-2014, 11:28 PM
I had to change the rider footpegs asap.I was not able to get my foot under the shifter good.I purchased the Kury boards and have them angled down in the front so now its a lot easier to shift and I have now no problems .batman-smilie.

Thank you for your input along with the pics.
I'm getting my stock seat modified in the next
Few days. After I get the seat back (which will
Affect the footpeg position/ seat relation) I will try to figure out
What I want changed. With the lowered seating area,
I'd think the comfort drop mini board would be a perfect
Match. Maybe I will not miss my heel-toe shifter
Once I can get my foot under the toe shifter with the mini board. :)

Navvet
07-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Being overly large, I added Roadsmith Comfort Controls. These moved the pegs forward several inches and down slightly.

Much more comfortable and allowes easy adjustment of the controls.

:yes::yes::yes:

BBB
07-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Being overly large, I added Roadsmith Comfort Controls. These moved the pegs forward several inches and down slightly.

Much more comfortable and allowes easy adjustment of the controls.

:yes::yes::yes:

I just googled it and saw the product.
It looks like u would live this set up.
The only thing is.... Well, it's a but costly!
But looking at the pictures, it looks like a very
High quality product.
Thank you for your post. (I would've never
Find it myself!)

Navvet
07-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Yes, these are a bit costly, but they are well made, easy to install, and come with great instructions.

CheckpointChcky
07-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Eventually, I will also get the Kury heel/toe shifter. I am used to them on my previous bikes. When I traded my Road Star for the 6, I had initial buyers remorse as well but I am getting used to this new bike.