PDA

View Full Version : Harley guy looking for something different.

Meanie97
07-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi all:
New member from NY, been riding for 22yrs. Started riding on sportbikes, currently been riding Harleys for last 15 yrs.
I currently have a 2011 Road glide custom and a 2005 Road king. I had the pleasure of test riding a black F6B(the fast color)
and liked the bike very much, if I can strike a good deal I will probably trade my Glide for it, if not I will have to sell it and then
buy my new bike.

Only real concern before coming to this website was the windshield which is useless, but I see a lot of people having paint issues,
has this been resolved on the 2014 models?

Thanks in advance:
Joe

Westernbiker
07-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Windshield changes out very easy and yes stock shield is pretty much useless IMHO.

Don't know about the paint, I still believe Honda has not put a gloss coat on for 2014 either. I have a 2013 'FAST BLACK' and do NOT have any paint issues.

thunder217
07-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Like you I have ridden every type of bike on the planet. I'm 56 and enjoy long rides and not have to carry any back packs but still want the sport feeling. The F6B once you ride it speaks for its self. I have never enjoyed a ride as much as the F6B. Its smooth, powerful and when you get to your destination you still fill like riding some more. There is currently a ad in the new MC magazine that shows a guy in a café looking out at the F6B and the ad reads " Your Journey could lead you around the corner or 300 miles away. He's having breakfast. This is no lye. I have a standard black 2013 that currently has 20K on it. I have been to NC twice to Daytona and Canada. I live in Maryland.

I have changed the fairing to the Klockworks for the best protection and it deflects the wind great. There are currently several that you can choose from depending on how much wind you like to feel. I have also changed to the Mustang seat with revo areo bars. I installed the cobra exhaust system, sounds like a mean sports car. You will not misssss the Harley at all. I currently have a M109 also which is my bar hopper. The F6B sees a lot of action. This is a crouch rocked on steroids with bags. This is comfort. The Timex of bikes. Just imagine, the breakin oil runs for 4K.

Last and not least. This is the most balanced platform on the planet.

Meanie97
07-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the quick response, what type of wax are you using?

I have been riding Harleys for awhile, and as I've gotten a little older and started having back issues I started to realize how terrible or complete lack of rear suspension is.
So needless to say when I took the F6B for a test ride, I realized that some bikes actually come with a suspension I was tickled. All kidding aside, I CANNOT believe how good
this this rides, brakes, and handles. I have kept my options way too narrow for WAY TOO LONG. This bike felt great, not heavy at all very well balanced, it almost just fell over
into the corners as opposed to me man handling my Road Glide into the curves, it has an engine that actually makes power, and fit me like a glove. Only thing I had to get used
to was mid controls. Will definitely be a candidate for highway pegs. Anyway very excited about this bike, and like the forum very much.

BBB
07-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the quick response, what type of wax are you using?

I have been riding Harleys for awhile, and as I've gotten a little older and started having back issues I started to realize how terrible or complete lack of rear suspension is.
So needless to say when I took the F6B for a test ride, I realized that some bikes actually come with a suspension I was tickled. All kidding aside, I CANNOT believe how good
this this rides, brakes, and handles. I have kept my options way too narrow for WAY TOO LONG. This bike felt great, not heavy at all very well balanced, it almost just fell over
into the corners as opposed to me man handling my Road Glide into the curves, it has an engine that actually makes power, and fit me like a glove. Only thing I had to get used
to was mid controls. Will definitely be a candidate for highway pegs. Anyway very excited about this bike, and like the forum very much.

Like you, I used to think "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't a motorcycle" lol
The funny thing is I'm Japanese, born and raised there (I live in AZ now) always wanted a Harely since as long as I can remember!
I got my dream bike: A Street Glide in 2010. Then my "custom" bug woke up.... I ended up spending so much money (I don't even know how I came up with all the money I spent on that bike" on in but after 4.5 years of owning it, I wanted something more comortable with, like you said, REAL rear suspension. lol I did stage 3 (107") on the street glide, so it was a pretty quick motorcycle, but F6B "comes" with that kind of power/ toque from the factory, which means, at least to me, that everything else in the power train is designed to handle the power/ torque. No weak links, no isues.... :)
Not only that, I was SOOOOOOO impressed with how well balanced the F6B is compared the the Harely I traded in for. When I first took it out to the twisty part of back road, north of Phoenix, I just couldn't believe how well it wanted to turn. AND it stays rock solid while turning, not like the Harely which wanted to bounce around over every little bumps I hit on the road.

Go ahead, trade in your one of the Harelys and get the F6B. You will be happy you did!

Oh, one other thing: There are WAY TOO MANY Harleys out there and I like being unique.... (Maybe that's why I kept on changing things on my Street Glide....lol) You don't see too many F6Bs out there and I ike it that way. One day, last week, when I was at a gas station, a Harely rider came up to look at my bike. I said to him, "It ain't a Harley!"
He responded, "What is it? Yamaha? Honda?? yeah, but it looks bad ass!" I loved it!! And I was thinking "Does he know that I can smoke his bike with F6B???" lol

jkelley
07-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Same story for me!

I'm 6'3", Harley is more comfortable seating for me, paint is WAY better.
Harley is easier to work on, but the F6B seldom needs anything done to it.
F6B out of the box simply stated in performance and handling beats the crap out of Harley.
F6B easier to keep clean, and not much chrome to polish.

The stock windshield is complete crap, The seat is not that good. However, like you the money I spend on the Harley's fixing the F6B to fit me was not a very expensive proposition.

Lack of Cruise for me was a real problem, so I put on real cruise control. I also repainted mine while I had it apart to install the cruise.
For a smooth, dependable cruiser the F6B would be hard to beat.
I don't plan to go back any time in the near future.

jlyon
07-18-2014, 11:41 AM
First off - Welcome to the club !!!

I too am an H-D owner (2009 Ultra Classic and 2009 CVO FatBob) as well as a Vic owner (2014 15th Anniversary Cross Country Tour). Until three weeks ago, I also owned a red F6B (the MUCH faster color :icon_lol: ).... A drunk driver totaled it out from underneath me... My AWESOME insurance company paid out my claim FOUR days later, and my Honda dealer that I bought it from has already found me a replacement for it !!!!

It had become my FAV bike to ride, and as I only have room in the garage for (2) bikes, the H-Ds are on the market. I loved them for the time that I had them, and rode them everywhere, but for comfort, durability, power and balance my F6B blows EVERYTHING away !!! (The Vic is for when I need to hear the rumble of a V-twin going down the road under me)...

So again, welcome to the F6B fan club.... this bike is the shizzznit !!!!

Joe

Jimmytee
07-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Like you I have ridden every type of bike on the planet. I'm 56 and enjoy long rides and not have to carry any back packs but still want the sport feeling. The F6B once you ride it speaks for its self. I have never enjoyed a ride as much as the F6B. Its smooth, powerful and when you get to your destination you still fill like riding some more. There is currently a ad in the new MC magazine that shows a guy in a café looking out at the F6B and the ad reads " Your Journey could lead you around the corner or 300 miles away. He's having breakfast. This is no lye. I have a standard black 2013 that currently has 20K on it. I have been to NC twice to Daytona and Canada. I live in Maryland.

I have changed the fairing to the Klockworks for the best protection and it deflects the wind great. There are currently several that you can choose from depending on how much wind you like to feel. I have also changed to the Mustang seat with revo areo bars. I installed the cobra exhaust system, sounds like a mean sports car. You will not misssss the Harley at all. I currently have a M109 also which is my bar hopper. The F6B sees a lot of action. This is a crouch rocked on steroids with bags. This is comfort. The Timex of bikes. Just imagine, the breakin oil runs for 4K.

Last and not least. This is the most balanced platform on the planet.
Where are these "revo areo bars"?

F6B-RICH
07-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Where are these "revo areo bars"?

He might mean Rivco Aero Pegs but not sure :shrug: .batman-smilie.

FlatSixBagger
07-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Former H-D RG owner, will probably get another RG eventually.

Meanie97
07-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Former H-D RG owner, will probably get another RG eventually.

Just out of curiousity, I saw you post this once before what do you feel your missing that you will buy another Road Glide,
and what year and model Glide did you have?

Scotrod
07-18-2014, 03:20 PM
After the V-twins I had, I simply wanted 'something different' as well. I probably would have been ~happy~ with another V-twin, but the 6 is quite a bit different!

Smooth as buttah!!! Pulls smooth in 5th from 40 up to the limiter (125),,, First "OEM fairing" bike / first 'feet rearward' bike. Very 'seamless' riding experience,,,,,,

Now, there are some things it doesn't have,,,NO more 'woodstove between the thighs' heat,,, No more vibes,,, no more shift shift shift above 40,,,

Granted, it ain't for everybody, but I don't see myself getting anything different anytime soon! :icon_wink:

FlatSixBagger
07-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Just out of curiousity, I saw you post this once before what do you feel your missing that you will buy another Road Glide,
and what year and model Glide did you have?
I had 2010 Custom I put 85,000 miles on it in 2.5 years. I had many issues mechanically, but had many great memories on it too. For me the F6B lack of a real cruise control and shifting pattern is a real downer, I thought I could live without the cruise but I was wrong, the shifting I figured out a little late. Also I hate to use the word but it is a bit boring to ride almost as if it has no personality, robotic it you will. Having said that from a performance its much better than the RG, but for me it is missing something and I've owned over 20 bikes and have rode well over 50. I just can't put my finger on it?

opas ride
07-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I have ridden all kinds of bikes over the last several years myself and find the F6B fits all my needs just fine...Interestingly, although I agree to a point, as said in the above post, the bike is a little sterile and robotic if you will...Yes it is much faster, smoother, rides better, handles better, etc.etc. than an HD, Victory, BMW, etc. but it just, to me at times, lacks the real world feel of a motorcycle...Can't really put my finger on anything specific, but at times I miss the cadence and heartbeat of a good old "V-Twin"....I doubt I will be riding anything else for a while as I love my F6B and all it does, so maybe I have just not had it long enough yet to really get to appreciate its smoothness, power delivery, quality, and other features...Right now there is nothing out there that compares and I love the ride more each day...Currently waiting for a Mustang seat and then I am good to go......

smokinjoe187
07-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Hi all:
New member from NY, been riding for 22yrs. Started riding on sportbikes, currently been riding Harleys for last 15 yrs.
I currently have a 2011 Road glide custom and a 2005 Road king. I had the pleasure of test riding a black F6B(the fast color)
and liked the bike very much, if I can strike a good deal I will probably trade my Glide for it, if not I will have to sell it and then
buy my new bike.

Only real concern before coming to this website was the windshield which is useless, but I see a lot of people having paint issues,
has this been resolved on the 2014 models?

Thanks in advance:
Joe

yes Joe....you will never want to ride your harleys again...but you can wear the tshirts

powercruzer13
07-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Two things for sure about the F6B... Honda does NOT know how to make a decent seat. Every Honda I've owned has had the seat changed to an aftermarket. As a matter of fact I will be at Destination Daytona tomorrow to look at & most likely buy an Ultimate Seat for the F6B.
Already replaced the totally useless stock windshield with a Klockwerks that is working quite well.
Other than those things the F6B is nearly perfect for me!
If a smooth, powerful, & reliable big cruiser motorcycle is what you are looking for, you have found the best. :icon_cool:

BTW, bike is a leftover 2013, production date 12/12 & the paint is perfect. Zero issues. :yes:

TomG
07-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Welcome Joe,
I'm right next door in Wantagh. Hope you enjoy your new ride! I've had many bikes over the years and nothing quite compares to the F6B......... Especially the fast black one
:icon_cool:Tom

shooter
07-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Welcome Meanie. I have a 2013 in Fastest Black, just a little faster than fast black, and my paint is great. I think you will love the Power of the F6B. The Flat Six

Powerband from idle to redline is amazing. I also own a modded M109R so I know about power. The B is amazing at low rpm power delivery in high gear. You rarely have to downshift. It just seems to do everything well. The windshield sucks. Honda needs to cut the crap and install a real shield. I'm 6'1" and a Cee Baileys 11 inch is just right. I want some air especially in the top of my Shoei Modular in hot weather. Good luck getting the bike.

XKnight
07-18-2014, 09:38 PM
I traded my Harley 103 Heritage for the F6B and have absolutely no regrets. I had a 96 ci Road King as well as a few other Harleys over the years. Still have a 1200 Sporty in the garage, but will likely be selling that soon. The F6s handling, speed, braking and wind protection is in another league from HD.

Windshield is the first thing most of us swap as the stock shorty shield is useless on the highway for most. It's a very easy swap that takes about 20 - 30 minutes and there are lots of options available. I paid about $130 for a new Slipstreamer 19" shield with vent which works great for me.

Paint is definitely soft and scratches easily. It's not up to par with the paint Harley uses, but so far it isn't a major issue on my bike. I figure that after a few years if the paint gets really bad and Honda refuses to do anything about it I'll just have an excuse to get a custom paint job. I saved about $5,000 when I bought my 2013 leftover F6 and a good paint job won't cost anywhere near that so I'll still be ahead even though I'm hoping a new paint job won't be needed or Honda steps up and fixes the problem for free.

Benk
07-21-2014, 12:09 AM
So, i finally went for a test ride this weekend and I've to say that was an eyeopener in a good way.
I've rode the red model, maybe because of that it felt much faster, hahahaha

but coming from a 2010 sportster i guess every bike feels fast.
the good> clutch, little on the soft side. power delivery is awesome, the best way to describe it is linear. pulls like a train.
loved the sound, would not change anything. seating position is comfy, but id have to make some changes, didn't like the shifter, mostly because i have had my race boots on and didn't feel a thing when shifting, also had a hard time to find neutral at a stop, no problems when in motion to a stop light tho (got better with temperature and i blame it on the new bike)
overall a good experience, now its just a matter of money and selling my bike before i can join the F6B community

funny side note: some guy thought he's funny and started yelling at a stoplight "hey Bro, you need to wear a seatbelt"

i figured he refers to my upright seating position, full race helmet, racing boots and leather jacket. i didn't care at he moment, what could I've possibly answer to a punk in a beat up 93 honda junk and id rather wear to much gear than the opposite.

Scotrod
07-21-2014, 08:15 AM
. Also I hate to use the word but it is a bit boring to ride almost as if it has no personality, robotic it you will.

I felt the exact same way for a while when I settled into mine. Several things 'missing',,, but,,, it's kinda like comparing a 60's Camaro to a 2014 SS off the showroom floor,,, The 60's model is loud, rides like an antique, and just isn't near as 'seamless' as the new Camaro.

Once you come to expect the seamlessness, you'll find that going back to 'the '60's era' is disappointing. The things you once were used to / overlooked before become an annoyance.

Rode my friends 2012 SG a while back,,, Completely different 'experience', and, IMHO, more of a (short-lived) novelty than a mode of transportation. Probably a great bar-hopper, but nothing I'd want to ride all day / every day.

XKnight
07-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I had 2010 Custom I put 85,000 miles on it in 2.5 years. I had many issues mechanically, but had many great memories on it too. For me the F6B lack of a real cruise control and shifting pattern is a real downer, I thought I could live without the cruise but I was wrong, the shifting I figured out a little late. Also I hate to use the word but it is a bit boring to ride almost as if it has no personality, robotic it you will. Having said that from a performance its much better than the RG, but for me it is missing something and I've owned over 20 bikes and have rode well over 50. I just can't put my finger on it?

Many HD guys say metric bikes are missing something (aka have no soul). If the bike doesn't make you smile when you ride it then definitely get something that does. I still love HD and all bikes for that matter, but the F6 works for me and puts a huge smile on my face every time I rider her. I can't say the same anymore for the Harley that's also sitting in my garage. The Harley is definitely missing something such as a smooth motor, power, good brakes and handling, etc. The Harley looks cooler to most, sounds mean and loud and has very nice shiny chrome and paint. It's great to have choices.

Meanie97
07-21-2014, 03:18 PM
I completely concur with the "there's something about a Harley" , maybe it's because both of my Grandfathers had them, and it makes me feel connected to my heritage.

Someone also said on this forum that there is something very mechanical going on with a Harley which I think is spot on and I enjoy.

Having said that, I also embrace quality and technolgy, riding the F6B was an eye opener, it just feels like a quality bike that is built properly.
I am soooo tired of purchasing a motorcycle that need another 5-10k to make me happy, if any other company produced a product like Harley
they would go out of business.

I will be keeping my Road King, one because I finally have it the way I want it, two because I have too much money invested to ever get it back.

I did some feeling out this weekend and the Honda dealers aren't overly generous with trade in's, so as soon as I able to sell my 2011 Road Glide Custom 103 w/abs
I will be getting my F6B, maybe I'm nuts but this bike calls to me in a different way.

Thanks for all the positive feedback:

Joe

Fla_rider
07-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Joe....Joe.....Joe come to the Darkside! Ride a Honda and you won't need gremlin bells anymore!

powercruzer13
07-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Speaking of "missing something" on other bikes....
I rode my wife's '98 Valkyrie around a bit yesterday to keep the fluids churning as it is for sale & I got an eye-opening experience. I have ridden my F6B exclusively for the last month or so. I was completely enamored with all things Valkyrie, truly a legend of a motorcycle if there ever was one. It felt like I was driving a truck compared to a HEAVIER F6B. :yikes:
I am truly struck by the advancements that the years & technology have made! It took a LOT of soul searching & internal debate in my mind to let go of the classic Valkyries that I had come to adore but I am feeling better everyday.
Bottom line to me is, I made the right decision.
I enjoy riding & the F6B enhances my riding. :yes::yes::yes:

Scotrod
07-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Joe....Joe.....Joe come to the Darkside! Ride a Honda and you won't need gremlin bells anymore!

:crackup:

:icon_biggrin:

:yes: