PDA

View Full Version : Storing a MC tire

Cleaver1
07-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Need some advice. What is a good Way to store a tire mounted on a rim? I got 15,000 miles out of my stock rear tire (could have pushed it and got 16,000). I replaced the tire with another OEM tire 2 weeks ago. Last week I got the chance to pick up a black rim and tire off a new Goldwing Trike Conversion. It will probably be September next year when I am ready for another tire change. The questions I have are: Should I leave the air pressure in the tire? Should I keep it in the basement in the winter as the Garage in not heated? Should I put armor all or some other rubber preservative on the sidewall? I live in Michigan so it gets below zero some days. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Marty

Scotrod
07-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Need some advice. What is a good Way to store a tire mounted on a rim? I got 15,000 miles out of my stock rear tire (could have pushed it and got 16,000). I replaced the tire with another OEM tire 2 weeks ago. Last week I got the chance to pick up a black rim and tire off a new Goldwing Trike Conversion. It will probably be September next year when I am ready for another tire change. The questions I have are: Should I leave the air pressure in the tire? I would Should I keep it in the basement in the winter as the Garage in not heated? I would Should I put armor all or some other rubber preservative on the sidewall? I would NOT I live in Michigan so it gets below zero some days. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Marty

Tires like to be kept at a 'reasonable'/ cool temp and out of the sun :yes:

bobbyf6b
07-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Basement sounds like a good idea.

Steve 0080
07-19-2014, 08:37 AM
+1...cool...NO sun!

Miwhite
07-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Need some advice. What is a good Way to store a tire mounted on a rim? I got 15,000 miles out of my stock rear tire (could have pushed it and got 16,000). I replaced the tire with another OEM tire 2 weeks ago. Last week I got the chance to pick up a black rim and tire off a new Goldwing Trike Conversion. It will probably be September next year when I am ready for another tire change. The questions I have are: Should I leave the air pressure in the tire? Should I keep it in the basement in the winter as the Garage in not heated? Should I put armor all or some other rubber preservative on the sidewall? I live in Michigan so it gets below zero some days. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Marty

Do not use Armorall, it could leach oils in the tire. If you store it in the basement, do not leave it near the furnace because of the electric motor. If it were me, I would store it in the garage with air in it.

Scotrod
07-20-2014, 10:26 AM
do not leave it near the furnace because of the electric motor

Please explain,,,

motoman
07-20-2014, 12:36 PM
It can't hurt to toss it into a black Hefty garbage bag with a twist tie to minimize air and light exposure.

Dave Ritsema
07-20-2014, 03:18 PM
do not leave it near the furnace because of the electric motor

Please explain,,,

My guess is that he is referring to the ozone generated by electrical motors which can indeed damage the rubber compound over time.

Miwhite
07-21-2014, 08:10 AM
My guess is that he is referring to the ozone generated by electrical motors which can indeed damage the rubber compound over time.

Correct.