PDA

View Full Version : Lost key

choptop
07-19-2014, 06:55 PM
My Roadstar came w/(1) key and it would seem I have misplaced it, hope I didn't put it in one of the many hiding places I have forgotten about over the years. I have a new lock on order w/Bushtec, they say it will be in next week. What is the easiest and least distructive way to get into the trailer, if they keys don't come in time , July 28th, to load for Sturgis ?:icon_redface:

Darren
07-19-2014, 07:24 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WpH_t0u5Ybg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

try this

choptop
07-19-2014, 09:12 PM
W/a new lock on the way I think drilling it will be the ticket, unless I find the key, anythings possible.

Steve 0080
07-19-2014, 11:32 PM
I would go to local locksmith and have them open it...no damage and little money...With my trailer I made two key rings with all the keys that go to the trailer, lock,hitch lock, trailer ball lock, trailer lock,GPS lock, and so on....time to make a second set!

bobbyf6b
07-20-2014, 12:39 AM
That bump key thing is scary. Makes me want to change all my locks. :yikes:

Darren
07-20-2014, 07:29 AM
That bump key thing is scary. Makes me want to change all my locks. :yikes:

If that scares you, you should see how easy it is to open any padlock, just with a bit of a tin can, saved me a few times though

Scotrod
07-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Darren,,, you sure know a lot about disarming locks,,,, :stirthepot: :icon_biggrin:

"Extra keys hidden in precise locations" has been my answer for years,,,

Even if I'm buck nekkid,:yikes: Once I get to my vehicle, I can get home/ get inside.

Steve 0080
07-20-2014, 09:16 AM
You can spend all the money you want for locks and such....Locks are made for honest people!

Scotrod
07-20-2014, 09:40 AM
You can spend all the money you want for locks and such....Locks are made for honest people!

,,,and really, really dumb crooks!!! :icon_doh:

choptop
07-20-2014, 10:32 AM
I would go to local locksmith and have them open it...no damage and little money...With my trailer I made two key rings with all the keys that go to the trailer, lock,hitch lock, trailer ball lock, trailer lock,GPS lock, and so on....time to make a second set!

If I hadn't ordered a new lock right away I would have made another key. If the lock from Bushtec is not going to make it, I will go the locksmith route.

Darren
07-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Darren,,, you sure know a lot about disarming locks,,,, :stirthepot: :icon_biggrin:

"Extra keys hidden in precise locations" has been my answer for years,,,

Even if I'm buck nekkid,:yikes: Once I get to my vehicle, I can get home/ get inside.

Ex-police :icon_lol:

choptop
07-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Why didn't I think of that, $40.00 later. Ordered a lockset from Bushtec, for my '98 Roadstar, waited a couple, three weeks and nothing, called, on back order, should be in next week, Sturgis is next week and I can't get into my trailer. Upgraded to newer model lock which requires drilling a bigger hole in the trunk, not thrilled about that. Had called a local locksmith for a couple of days but could not get him to call me back. Upgraded lockset came in today, was about to start drilling when I thought I would give another locksmith a call, he didn't do that kind of thing but asked me if their was a number below the lock and if their was someone could make one. Their was, and another $40.00, thats $80.00 now, I go and pick up (2) keys tomorrow, hope they work or I am out $40.00 and back to the drill.

Steve 0080
07-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Bushtec should be able to send you a key if you can still see the numbers?

choptop
07-25-2014, 04:31 AM
Bushtec should be able to send you a key if you can still see the numbers?

Bushtec has enough of my money, they should have suggested that possibility to me, somebody locally will get to spend some of my Sturgis money.