PDA

View Full Version : Test rode Ultimate Mid Rider seat today.

powercruzer13
07-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Rode over to the Ultimate store in Daytona this morning to check out the two Ultimate seats offered for the F6B. Ended up ordering a Mid Rider with backrest after a test ride on my bike. Didn't get to bring it home as the only Mid Des had in stock had a red stripe on it. :shock:
Anyways it was perfect for me, didn't raise me up any higher than stock which is exactly what I need to stay at the right level for the Klockwerks shield. It did push me very slightly forward which is OK, won't need risers on the bars. Should arrive at my door in about two weeks. :clap2:
After over 100K miles of Valkyrie/Ultimate seat miles it sure felt good to be back in an Ultimate saddle on my new improved F6B Tourer! :yes::yes::yes:

CheckpointChcky
07-19-2014, 08:42 PM
This is what I need to hear! I have to have a seat that does not raise me up any higher than stock and a seat that actually pushes me forward more because I have such short arms. I have owned three Ultimate seats for my VTX, my Goldwing, and my Roadstar and absolutely loved each one. It is a seat one can sit in all day with absolutely no discomfort. The only time I ever had to stop while riding on the seat was to get gas. Yes, they are that great.

Steve 0080
07-19-2014, 08:46 PM
+1 on Ultimate Seats!!!

cwjj2001
07-19-2014, 08:54 PM
The ultimate seat lives up to it's name "Ultimate"!!!! I have the king seat and so far I have ZERO complaints!!! Your also going to love the backrest.:yes:

powercruzer13
07-19-2014, 09:33 PM
This is what I need to hear! I have to have a seat that does not raise me up any higher than stock and a seat that actually pushes me forward more because I have such short arms. I have owned three Ultimate seats for my VTX, my Goldwing, and my Roadstar and absolutely loved each one. It is a seat one can sit in all day with absolutely no discomfort. The only time I ever had to stop while riding on the seat was to get gas. Yes, they are that great.

Go ahead & pull the trigger on a Mid Rider. I was able to do a back to back stock to Mid Rider comparison this morning & those were my evaluations. It doesn't push you forward much but just enough to notice.
The seating comfort of ANY bike is the single biggest factor for an enjoyable ride!
I'm sold!

XKnight
07-20-2014, 12:08 AM
I had Ultimate seats on my VTX 1800 and on my Road King. They were indeed very comfortable. If Ultimate offered a low rider seat like they had for the VTX I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Although I can flat foot the F6 I still prefer to be lower in the seat than the stock position.

Dave Ritsema
07-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Love my Ultimate also! Have had Ultimate's on both of my Valkyrie's and wouldn't even consider buying a seat from anyone else.
http://photo.vrccservices.com/albums/userpics/10005/seat_resize_2.jpg

hoglaw
07-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Is the Ultimate store at Destination Daytona? I may ride over this week and take a look.

Jimmytee
07-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Love my Ultimate also! Have had Ultimate's on both of my Valkyrie's and wouldn't even consider buying a seat from anyone else.
http://photo.vrccservices.com/albums/userpics/10005/seat_resize_2.jpg
Dave, do you have the King? I'm trying to decide which direction to go. I really like my King on the Valkyrie. I love the looks of the Corbin dual tour, but am worried about it being too firm, especially for my wife. I'm only 5'8", but the King on the Valk works very well for me. Nobody wants regrets and I fit that bill. I'd be inclined to go with the King, but wondered how much that'll effect my feet to ground hand to bar realationship. I'm already thinking I may save my pennies for one of those Helio bars.

My wife mentioned riding up to South Bend to check yours out. I told her South Bend is right up there towards the top of Indiana :lolup:, but it is tempting. She also suggested asking here where other owners might be who may have the Ultimate or Corbin seats possibly closer. South Bend is around a 5 hr ride.

Dave Ritsema
07-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Dave, do you have the King? I'm trying to decide which direction to go. I really like my King on the Valkyrie. I love the looks of the Corbin dual tour, but am worried about it being too firm, especially for my wife. I'm only 5'8", but the King on the Valk works very well for me. Nobody wants regrets and I fit that bill. I'd be inclined to go with the King, but wondered how much that'll effect my feet to ground hand to bar realationship. I'm already thinking I may save my pennies for one of those Helio bars.

My wife mentioned riding up to South Bend to check yours out. I told her South Bend is right up there towards the top of Indiana :lolup:, but it is tempting. She also suggested asking here where other owners might be who may have the Ultimate or Corbin seats possibly closer. South Bend is around a 5 hr ride.

Well first things first, you are ALWAYS welcome to come up to South Bend and take a ride and of course share a meal or something.
That being said I will offer you a few observations. I am 5'10 but have a 28 inch inseam so I am short legged and long torso kinda guy. I went with the King due to my weight (300lbs):icon_redface: as that is what I had on the Valkyrie as well. What I did discover right away is that the seat raised me up about an inch and back from the bars about an inch. (Des had told me that this would be the case.)

At first I wasn't really hip on getting raised up an inch as I could no longer flat foot the bike, but after a few rides I don't even think about it anymore. I also put on a set of risers that raised the bars and brought them back about an inch. I am as comfortable on this bike as I was on my Valkyrie. My wife however felt much more "in" the Valkyrie and felt insecure due to the low backrest on the F6B. Des also installed his passenger backrest riser and I tried using the stock pad as I preferred the looks of it. It just didn't hit her back in the right place to giver her the support she wanted so we tried the Ultimate pad and she says it works great. She says she is comfortable now but admits that she gets more air and feels more exposed than she did on the Interstate which is understandable.

I had a Corbin on my Interstate when I first purchased it and thought it was like sitting on a board. I was on a ride Friday night with a guy with a new WIng and he had just put a $1200 Corbin on it and both he AND his wife hated it due to it's lack of padding. They sat on my F6B and said that they will be ordering a set of seats from him ASAP.

Jimmytee
07-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Well first things first, you are ALWAYS welcome to come up to South Bend and take a ride and of course share a meal or something.
That being said I will offer you a few observations. I am 5'10 but have a 28 inch inseam so I am short legged and long torso kinda guy. I went with the King due to my weight (300lbs):icon_redface: as that is what I had on the Valkyrie as well. What I did discover right away is that the seat raised me up about an inch and back from the bars about an inch. (Des had told me that this would be the case.)

At first I wasn't really hip on getting raised up an inch as I could no longer flat foot the bike, but after a few rides I don't even think about it anymore. I also put on a set of risers that raised the bars and brought them back about an inch. I am as comfortable on this bike as I was on my Valkyrie. My wife however felt much more "in" the Valkyrie and felt insecure due to the low backrest on the F6B. Des also installed his passenger backrest riser and I tried using the stock pad as I preferred the looks of it. It just didn't hit her back in the right place to giver her the support she wanted so we tried the Ultimate pad and she says it works great. She says she is comfortable now but admits that she gets more air and feels more exposed than she did on the Interstate which is understandable.

I had a Corbin on my Interstate when I first purchased it and thought it was like sitting on a board. I was on a ride Friday night with a guy with a new WIng and he had just put a $1200 Corbin on it and both he AND his wife hated it due to it's lack of padding. They sat on my F6B and said that they will be ordering a set of seats from him ASAP.
Thanks for the response Dave. Sounds like the Ultimate King will be the choice for me. I'm 5'8" tall with a 30" inseam. I tip the scales at 275. I got to work on that. :icon_rolleyes: It sounds like whatever it moves me up , I could get used to. I barely flat foot the F6B now,with tennis shoes. I am pretty solid ,though, and have never had issues manipulating my Valk or this F6B. Got some pretty stout legs. I don't think I want to be any closer to the tank, like the Mid Rider may do. I like the looks of the MUstang seat as well, but it uses the seat as the driver back rest, and I'm not sure that is what I want.
I'll have to see about the trip up there, sounds like fun. Thanks for the invite.

six2go
07-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the response Dave. Sounds like the Ultimate King will be the choice for me. I'm 5'8" tall with a 30" inseam. I tip the scales at 275. I got to work on that. :icon_rolleyes: It sounds like whatever it moves me up , I could get used to. I barely flat foot the F6B now,with tennis shoes. I am pretty solid ,though, and have never had issues manipulating my Valk or this F6B. Got some pretty stout legs. I don't think I want to be any closer to the tank, like the Mid Rider may do. I like the looks of the MUstang seat as well, but it uses the seat as the driver back rest, and I'm not sure that is what I want.
I'll have to see about the trip up there, sounds like fun. Thanks for the invite.
Can I come too? It's not often that I get to be the "little guy" in a group. (5'8" & 250):icon_biggrin:

opas ride
07-20-2014, 04:03 PM
I have the Mustang seat on order as I want the lower seat and I like the style. I am familiar with Ultimate seats from my Valkyrie years and they are great for many...I addressed my short inseam 28", 195lbs. 5'9", by having the local boot maker add 1/2" higher treaded soles and heals to my riding boots and all is well. Just about can flat foot the F6B at most stops, unless road is wavy and not flat like some intersections, so with the new seat(if I ever get the thing, 6 weeks wait so far), I hope things work the way I want..BTW, I would never be caught riding a bike the size of the F6B with sneakers or tennis shoes on....Seen to many ankle injuries over the years without the added protection of good riding boots....JMHO....Ride safe.....

Jimmytee
07-20-2014, 04:49 PM
I have the Mustang seat on order as I want the lower seat and I like the style. I am familiar with Ultimate seats from my Valkyrie years and they are great for many...I addressed my short inseam 28", 195lbs. 5'9", by having the local boot maker add 1/2" higher treaded soles and heals to my riding boots and all is well. Just about can flat foot the F6B at most stops, unless road is wavy and not flat like some intersections, so with the new seat(if I ever get the thing, 6 weeks wait so far), I hope things work the way I want..BTW, I would never be caught riding a bike the size of the F6B with sneakers or tennis shoes on....Seen to many ankle injuries over the years without the added protection of good riding boots....JMHO....Ride safe.....
That's quite alright. To each their own. I usually wear boots, but I got some brand new White Nikes that looked so good with my Joe Rocket mesh jacket and my sporty Red F6B.'riding''riding''riding'

LX2
07-20-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm 5'6" and 165 lbs, I like the Mid-Rider BUT.......I can't just sit in the very back of the seat. Soon as I do it pushes me forward and when I apply the breaks, I slide forward and so does my passenger so much I have to prepare each time I slow down. It's like the seat is just slippery. I don't ever recal this happening with Ultimate seats I've owned in the past.

Dave Ritsema
07-20-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm 5'6" and 165 lbs, I like the Mid-Rider BUT.......I can't just sit in the very back of the seat. Soon as I do it pushes me forward and when I apply the breaks, I slide forward and so does my passenger so much I have to prepare each time I slow down. It's like the seat is just slippery. I don't ever recal this happening with Ultimate seats I've owned in the past.

Maybe we will have to start calling you "Slippery Larry" instead.
:lolup:

Dave Ritsema
07-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Can I come too? It's not often that I get to be the "little guy" in a group. (5'8" & 250):icon_biggrin:

Your welcome any time little fella.
:lolup:

powercruzer13
07-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Is the Ultimate store at Destination Daytona? I may ride over this week and take a look.
Yes it is. Ride past the Main entrance to the Pirate Palace to the light by the Love's truck stop. Ride past JP Cycles to the strip mall looking building on your left. Ultimate Seats is at the far end. :yes:

BTW, they are not open on Sundays.

Fla_rider
07-21-2014, 09:36 AM
of course the red stripe would make that black bike go slightly faster. :stirthepot:

VP8
07-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a F6B. I took it out for a test ride a week ago and found the front of the seat to be pretty wide. Is the Ultimate Seat (Mid-Rider) narrower than the stock seat in the front (near the gas tank)?

Ultimate Seats
07-22-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm looking into purchasing a F6B. I took it out for a test ride a week ago and found the front of the seat to be pretty wide. Is the Ultimate Seat (Mid-Rider) narrower than the stock seat in the front (near the gas tank)?

VP8-
We narrow down the front of the F6B seat as much as we could, while still allowing us to keep our pan and foam tolerances.

Best,

Dave

VP8
07-23-2014, 07:27 AM
VP8-
We narrow down the front of the F6B seat as much as we could, while still allowing us to keep our pan and foam tolerances.

Best,

Dave

Awesome!! Thank you Dave!! Cause I also test rode a regular Goldwing, and didn't feel the nose was wide at all...figuring the F6 and regular Goldwing should be the exact same dimensions at the nose area.

Ultimate Seats
07-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Awesome!! Thank you Dave!! Cause I also test rode a regular Goldwing, and didn't feel the nose was wide at all...figuring the F6 and regular Goldwing should be the exact same dimensions at the nose area.

VP8 - Keep in mind that the factory seats for the GL1800 and the F6 have different seating positions. Also, because of the way the F6B side covers were designed - our seat pan is wider on an F6B then our pan for the GL1800 in order to allow for you to continue to remove the side covers without removing the seat.

Dave

DisneyBill
07-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Can anyone who has ridden on an Ultimate (preferably King as I'm 6'5") describe how the feel of it differs from the stock? I understand that people feel it's more comfortable and it may be hard to describe more than that, but I am super interested in this seat but that is a HUGE investment to make site unseen. Even though the reviews are mostly positive, I am really nervous about forking over $1K and not having seen or sat on one of these at all. If I didn't live so far from Daytona, I'd swing by to see it in person but that unfortunately is not in the cards. :( Any thoughts?

- Bill

Ultimate Seats
07-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Can anyone who has ridden on an Ultimate (preferably King as I'm 6'5") describe how the feel of it differs from the stock? I understand that people feel it's more comfortable and it may be hard to describe more than that, but I am super interested in this seat but that is a HUGE investment to make site unseen. Even though the reviews are mostly positive, I am really nervous about forking over $1K and not having seen or sat on one of these at all. If I didn't live so far from Daytona, I'd swing by to see it in person but that unfortunately is not in the cards. :( Any thoughts?

- Bill

Bill,
Don't forget, just because you can't swing by Daytona, doesn't mean you can't 'try' the seat. We understand that seats are a big investment, that's why we give you 14 days from delivery to make sure you love the seat - if not, you're only out your freight charges, out and back.

Dave

Richie
07-23-2014, 10:57 AM
VP8 - Keep in mind that the factory seats for the GL1800 and the F6 have different seating positions. Also, because of the way the F6B side covers were designed - our seat pan is wider on an F6B then our pan for the GL1800 in order to allow for you to continue to remove the side covers without removing the seat.

Dave

The wider seat would mean that the reach to the ground would be longer than on a stock seat. It could still be the same hight looking over the shield but harder for a short rider to put his feet down, would this be correct?

Richie

Ultimate Seats
07-23-2014, 11:14 AM
The wider seat would mean that the reach to the ground would be longer than on a stock seat. It could still be the same hight looking over the shield but harder for a short rider to put his feet down, would this be correct?

Richie

Richie,

It would vary by rider. The variables really come in with the combination of height, weight, inseam and really how the rider is built. For instance if you're carrying any 'extra weight', are you carrying it 'in front of you' or 'behind you'? If you're carrying it behind you, you'll be pushed further forward in the seat because of the increased lateral support in our seats, and your thighs will be closer to the nose of the seat which is more narrow. That's just one 'for instance' of so many. That's why we offer our trial period. Not everyone can see us on the road, or come visit our factory or showroom.

Dave

darcym
07-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Richie,
Not everyone can see us on the road, or come visit our factory or showroom.

Dave

Any plans on your factory reps taking a road trip to the west coast?

Ultimate Seats
07-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Any plans on your factory reps taking a road trip to the west coast?

Darcym,
Unfortunately not this year. The farthest west we will get is TX, AR and SD. We bring our rig out of Daytona Beach when we go - so it's a bit of a hull to make it all the way to the west coast. Not to say it won't happen anytime in the near future. But, not this year.

Dave

DisneyBill
07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Darcym,
Unfortunately not this year. The farthest west we will get is TX, AR and SD. We bring our rig out of Daytona Beach when we go - so it's a bit of a hull to make it all the way to the west coast. Not to say it won't happen anytime in the near future. But, not this year.

Dave

Cool, when will you be in TX?

- Bill

Ultimate Seats
07-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Cool, when will you be in TX?

- Bill

Lone Star Rally - Galveston, TX - Nov 4-9