PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Safety Foundation

hiflyer
07-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Speak up if you are now, or have ever been certified by the MSF.

Benk
07-19-2014, 09:57 PM
had the pleasure to do my course in spring '11. good fun weekend, must do for beginners

badpapi
07-19-2014, 10:42 PM
To legally ride a motorcycle in Rhode Island, state law requires successful completion of a Motorcycle Rider Safety Course. Anyone seeking to obtain a motorcycle license must successfully complete a 16.5 hour training program. This program is comprised of two lectures, a 3.5 hour session and a 3 hour session. In addition students must successfully complete two 5 hour riding ranges. CCRI provides all training motorcycles, and there are several helmets on loan at each facility.

It is illegal in Rhode Island to ride a motorcycle without a motorcycle license or permit: DO NOT ride your motorcycle to classes or ranges.

When i got my licence about ten years ago. before that i rode without a license :shhh::shhh:

badpapi
07-19-2014, 10:43 PM
To legally ride a motorcycle in Rhode Island, state law requires successful completion of a Motorcycle Rider Safety Course. Anyone seeking to obtain a motorcycle license must successfully complete a 16.5 hour training program. This program is comprised of two lectures, a 3.5 hour session and a 3 hour session. In addition students must successfully complete two 5 hour riding ranges. CCRI provides all training motorcycles, and there are several helmets on loan at each facility.

It is illegal in Rhode Island to ride a motorcycle without a motorcycle license or permit: DO NOT ride your motorcycle to classes or ranges.

When i got my licence about ten years ago. before that i rode without a license :shhh::shhh:

i also almost rode my bike to the class . lol

Ray H
07-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Did my MSF Basic Course in Las Vegas - 1997.

Fla_rider
07-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Past USAF MSF instructor. Was checking into recert last year but too busy.

CheckpointChcky
07-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Did it in 2008.

rumble-b
07-19-2014, 11:35 PM
I work as an Authorized Testing Officer and instructor , which is probably the same as your MSF. In Australia you must complete a learners course and assessment, to get your MC learner permit and another course and assessment, after more than 3 months of holding that permit, to get your full MC license. We also have what is called a LAMs system ( Learner Approved Motorcycles ) This a comprehensive list of m/cycles that are no more the 660cc and meet power to weight ratios. After getting your learners permit or full MC license , you cannot ride any MC not on the LAMs list, for the first 3 years. After that you can ride what you like.

darcym
07-20-2014, 01:15 AM
basic course circa 1991 when I got back into motorcycling after a brief hiatus. Was amazed to learn so much that I didn't know. Took the experienced rider half day course in 2009.

bob109
07-20-2014, 06:17 AM
Took the NMSF course twice! 1987 and again in 2006! Pennsylvania offers the course free. You need the $5.00 Learners Permit (may be more now).

No matter what your think you know about cycle riding, the course leaves you a better rider:clap2:

Slingah
07-20-2014, 08:32 AM
I did the MSF approved course in Massachusetts. I thought the class was pretty fantastic and believe I am a better rider because of it.

Scotrod
07-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Required to get endorsement in TX (Benefit to TX DPS is they no longer has to provide a 'driving test' option at their facilities)

Rode many years w/o endorsement. Tried for quite a while to get wifey off my bike and on her own. Taking the MSF together enabled me to get an endorsement AND get wifey on her own bike! :yes:

It was fun.

bigdew
07-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Took basic back in 1999. I believe a must for any motorcycle rider. With being in the Army I have to take the Advanced Course every 3 years now to stay refreshed. I due for my 3rd advanced course here at the end of this year. Great course.

XKnight
07-20-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm thinking about getting certified as a MSF Instructor when I retire just to have something to do on the side. I have taken the basic MSF course twice and the advanced course twice as well. I learn something new every time. No matter your skill level you can always improve. I've seen this topic come up on other forums and often there are long time riders who think they know it all, but have never taken a formal riding course and think it would be worthless. They couldn't be further from the truth. I plan on taking one of the week long Moto Officer type courses (non MSF) one of these days.

hiflyer
07-20-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking about getting certified as a MSF Instructor when I retire just to have something to do on the side. I have taken the basic MSF course twice and the advanced course twice as well. I learn something new every time. No matter your skill level you can always improve. I've seen this topic come up on other forums and often there are long time riders who think they know it all, but have never taken a formal riding course and think it would be worthless. They couldn't be further from the truth. I plan on taking one of the week long Moto Officer type courses (non MSF) one of these days.

I'm on my second stint as an MSF Instructor/Ridercoach, back in the late 90's, early 2000's at a community college in Texas, and now with one of the state universities here in OK. I enjoy it, and it makes ME a better rider.

MSGT-R
07-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Been a Ridercoach since 2002.

Deer Slayer
07-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Here in North Carolina we also have Bike Safe, this program started by Sgt. Brown of the NC Highway Patrol. Course is one on one. That is motor Patrolman to student. Parking lots are good to learn on, but hard to beat open road instruction. Our road route was over the roads in Wake county with most reported motorcycle wrecks. I came away from this one with some great information. Oh, did I mention, it is FREE.:yikes:

TitansFan
07-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Took MSF basic in 2005. I'd recommend it to everyone. And here in Tennessee, passing the MSF course means you don't have to take the written or driving tests at the DMV to get your motorcycle endorsement on your license.

Slingah
07-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Took MSF basic in 2005. I'd recommend it to everyone. And here in Tennessee, passing the MSF course means you don't have to take the written or driving tests at the DMV to get your motorcycle endorsement on your license.

Same here in Massachusetts. :yes: