PDA

View Full Version : Polaris/Indian taking HD market share

hiflyer
07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
CNBC reported that HD sales are down for the qtr., said Polaris/Indian are taking share from HD. I think Honda is too.

opas ride
07-22-2014, 02:32 PM
I would have to see the actual numbers from all reliable sources to believe that HD is loosing sales to Victory and Indian. Polaris Industries make some nice bikes, and I have owned two Victory's which were great bikes, but most of the indicators I read show HD's sales are up and doing fine...Just asking???

racer
07-22-2014, 02:48 PM
You can read it here:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101855698

and here:

http://news.investors.com/business/072214-709826-polaris-gains-as-harley-america-sales-drop.htm

Scotrod
07-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Did not see any report that clearly stated Polaris did anything to affect HD, just that HD didn't sell as many bikes (Sportsters) as they thought they would, and that Polaris, now with (2) motorcycle labels, had increased their sales.

Coming ~out~ of a recession, I imagine total number of units worldwide has grown. That leave 'room' for everybody to sell, even Vindian! :icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
07-22-2014, 03:54 PM
I would have to see the actual numbers from all reliable sources to believe that HD is loosing sales to Victory and Indian. Polaris Industries make some nice bikes, and I have owned two Victory's which were great bikes, but most of the indicators I read show HD's sales are up and doing fine...Just asking???

Here it is in print:

There might be a shifting trend in the "boy toy" world. Power-sports giant Polaris (NYSE:PII) raised its earnings guidance after domestic sales sped up, while hog kingpin Harley-Davidson (NYSE:HOG) lowered shipment expectations as Q2 North American sales hit a speed bump.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/business/072214-709826-polaris-gains-as-harley-america-sales-drop.htm#ixzz38EUfwl2Q
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

powercruzer13
07-22-2014, 06:38 PM
They are marketing the same product to the same demographic.
Bound to be some poaching of the sales leader in that category. If Sonny Barger says it's OK to ride a Polaris then that settles it! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

gray rider
07-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Yup, same "old" demographic for HD. I'm a perfect example of this. I've had at least one Harley in my stable continuously since the mid 1960's. Mostly, they were junk that I was fixing up to resell. After doing this flipping for decades I was in a financial position to never have to work on some ones cast off junk again. I started to ride new bikes one of which is my FLSTNI Softail Deluxe. This will be the last Harley I will own. It functions flawlessly, has no vibration, no leaks and no problems whatsoever. It is a perfect 62 hp motorcycle. The bottom line is; why would I buy another one or different one when the one I own already meets or exceeds my expectations for this type of motorcycle? I have seven other bikes that are all superior in one way or another to the HD, some of them vastly superior. I believe there are many others like me who for many different reasons have a life long connection to Harley-Davidson but this does not translate into multiple sales to the same individuals. HD needs to broaden its appeal bringing in riders from new demographic groups. They have had some success selling to women motorcyclists but this won't sustain HD over the long haul. New bikes? Better bikes? Fresher marketing? I don't have the answer. All I know is that I have my last Harley-Davidson.

XKnight
07-22-2014, 07:31 PM
I have no doubt that for every Polaris Indian sold, Harley is losing a potential customer. I also think the F6 is taking customers away from Harley, especially from the Harley touring bikes. There are a lot new F6 owners, like myself, that came off a Harley.

Brian D
08-06-2014, 11:13 PM
I got right off of my 13 roadglide and have no regrets at all with this f6 I will prob have another harley someday BUT it will be my bar bike lol!!! They are only good for a couple miles trips across town