PDA

View Full Version : Givi universal mounting plate

SteveM
07-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Has anyone tried to attach this to the OEM luggage rack?

I have one coming, along with a 55l Maxia Tech top case.

I'm a Givi fan, having had several sets over the years, so I'll report back on the process of getting this set up.

hiflyer
07-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Has anyone tried to attach this to the OEM luggage rack?

I have one coming, along with a 55l Maxia Tech top case.

I'm a Givi fan, having had several sets over the years, so I'll report back on the process of getting this set up.

May have to use some spacers to get it level. I made some out of pipe for my box. Should work fine, good luck!

mtcgun
07-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I just did it on mine. didnt attach it to the oem rack, but rather just used the existing mounting screw/holes to attach the givi rack. there are some pictures in the thread down the page here. http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3136-Givi-trunk

SteveM
07-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Easy peasy and it came out great.

I was starting with an OEM rack, the Givi universal mounting plate and a Maxia Tech 55L top case. I wanted a cheap, solid install and I wanted to make it look like it was a part of the bike and not a cobbled on addition.

Step 1 - look and think, look and think, consider options.

Step 2 - remove OEM rack and flatten the little bend in it with a 25lb sledge and some careful strikes on my concrete garage floor. This was much easier than I thought and cams out great.

Step 3 - remount rack, set Givi rack on top of it, line it up for drilling 1/4" holes in the rack, clamp in place and mark with a punch.

Step 4 - Drill 4, 1/4" holes in OEM rack. I chose to leave it on the bike, as it was more secure than any vise I won, but I put scrap wood underneath to avoid plunging through and nicking the plastic.

Step 5 (optional) - remove OEM rack, grind any rough edges from the drilling, hit the rack with a little 1000 grit paper and a quick flat black spray paint. The rack now shows no evidence of ever being "worked". No one can see it but I would know.

Step 6 - reinstall OEM rack

Step 7 - Install Givi plate with the included screws.

Step 8 - Mount top case

Step 9 - Ta Da!

Steve 0080
07-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Nice work!!!!