PDA

View Full Version : skinny gravel driveway

tonycarver
07-24-2014, 12:52 PM
hey everyone, just got our F6B on Saturday and love it WAY too much (don't think that's possible though...lol). got the beast home and had NO fun trying to do 23 point turn ON gravel, with the wife pushing (happy wife......). we're looking for an inexpensive way to turn the bike around. the gravel is that loose red stuff. any I ideas on how to prop the bike up off ground and spin it? most dollies only work on a shop floor and I don't feel like paving my landlords driveway for him.....when I say its a skinny driveway I aint kidding. looking for some ingenious ideas!grouphug

CheckpointChcky
07-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Time to buy another house with a huge concrete driveway. :icon_wink: I know how you feel on gravel....I hate even driving a straight line on it. I'm sure others on here will have some useful suggestions.

Scotrod
07-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Hmm,,

How about set some forms for a 'mini-slab' in the driveway,,, (3 ft circle?) Some bags of quick-crete. Smooth and level,,,

,,,and a dolly? :shrug:

While it might not be 'easy' to remove, it certainly wouldn't be 100% permanent,,, keeping you out of trouble with the landlord,,,

or,

Maybe a 1/4 inch thick piece of plate steel set on an anchored wooden 'subframe', installed at driveway height? ???? If it's not level/ SMOOTH/secure, the dolly method would suck big time,,,

tonycarver
07-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Hmm,,

How about set some forms for a 'mini-slab' in the driveway,,, (3 ft circle?) Some bags of quick-crete. Smooth and level,,,

,,,and a dolly? :shrug:

While it might not be 'easy' to remove, it certainly wouldn't be 100% permanent,,, keeping you out of trouble with the landlord,,,a

we thought about that as well. was at an auto store yesterday and buddy suggested using a bike jack, the kind you put under the frame and using slabs too. the landlords a bit a jerk, so pissing him off wouldn't cause me any lack of sleep. :moon:. we were kinda hoping there was a miracle cure out there. and yes.......next house circular driveway and a butler to do the turning around.....lol

SmallPasture
07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
An industrial sized Lazy-Susan at your point of turn? :shrug:

tinkerman
07-24-2014, 03:16 PM
I have fairly limited shop space...all my bikes and big tools are on dollies or castors of one sort or another.

Several years ago I built a "lazy Susan" for turning my bikes in the shop.

I bought a industrial type lazy Susan bearing...about 8 to 10 inch outside diameter (about $60). Screwed this to a fairly heavy plywood base. Purchased a 8 foot piece of two by ten and stiffened it on the sides with some 1/4 inch x 1 1/2 inch angle iron. I sawed the plank on the ends so it had ramps at either end of about 4 inches when laying on its flat. This gets screwed dead on center to the lazy Suzan on the side opposite the plywood with the ramps facing up.

Place it in the center of the driveway. Run the bike up on it and slowly find the balance point. You can then turn the bike, essentially on a dime.

I know this explanation is worthless without pics.....however I am half a country away from the device. If you google lazy Susan motorcycle turntable you will get the gist of it.

tink

SmallPasture
07-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Several years ago I built a "lazy Susan" for turning my bikes in the shop.

tink

Well, there ya go!!! :clap2:

Fla_rider
07-24-2014, 03:43 PM
what about sheets of corregated metal, like we used in the military to make runways? geez, wonder where to find them?

Scotrod
07-24-2014, 09:01 PM
I like the MC jack idea,,, Especially because you could always use it later at the next location,,, :yes:

Still need some kinda flat/strong surface,,,

Any 'flat' areas in the driveway or is it all lumpy bumpy? The party would end quickly if ya dropped yer 6,,, :icon_frown:

Steve 0080
07-24-2014, 11:44 PM
The lazy susan deal works!!! If you have a garage...just pull into the garage and put the center stand down on a plate with ball bearing underneath...go to the back of the bike push down the front wheel will come off the ground and just push in a circle!!!!!

Did this for years in a single car carport...on a Full Wing... just turned it around on the concrete using the same method !!! I have done it in a parking lot out on a ride and just spun the bike and pushed on the side of seat while pulling on the handle bars....

mtcgun
07-24-2014, 11:55 PM
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/LazySusan/Kit8999?gclid=CN28qfPV378CFUcV7AodcSYAFQ

Scotrod
07-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Great find MTC! :yes: :yes: :yes:

EZ ENuff to make a turntable w/something like that!!!!

Steve 0080
07-25-2014, 08:16 AM
My impulse master card is itching....now how wide is the center stand????

Steve 0080
07-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Well you know I bought it........ if it does not work out in the garage...may get a piece of granite about 14" and make a lazy susan for the dinning table...

mikey
07-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Yes gravel roads can be a challenge. My drive way is 3 tenths mile long all gravel so I've gotten used to it. The 6 is more stable on it than other bikes I've had. That's one reason I still ride dirt bikes..... It helps the " flow"of that loose feel. Ride safe!

SmallPasture
07-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Well you know I bought it........ if it does not work out in the garage...may get a piece of granite about 14" and make a lazy susan for the dinning table...

Gunna wanna see pics of either one! 'popcorn and coke'

tonycarver
07-25-2014, 09:52 AM
I like the MC jack idea,,, Especially because you could always use it later at the next location,,, :yes:

Still need some kinda flat/strong surface,,,

Any 'flat' areas in the driveway or is it all lumpy bumpy? The party would end quickly if ya dropped yer 6,,, :icon_frown:

driveway looks like WWII happened. wish I knew how to post a picture here to show you guys. the industrial lazy susan idea looks like the best so far. thx to all for their suggestings

tonycarver
07-25-2014, 09:54 AM
The lazy susan deal works!!! If you have a garage...just pull into the garage and put the center stand down on a plate with ball bearing underneath...go to the back of the bike push down the front wheel will come off the ground and just push in a circle!!!!!

Did this for years in a single car carport...on a Full Wing... just turned it around on the concrete using the same method !!! I have done it in a parking lot out on a ride and just spun the bike and pushed on the side of seat while pulling on the handle bars....

unfortunately....no center stand got the basic toy. we Canadians aren't allowed the luxuries of you other folks....lol

Steve 0080
07-25-2014, 01:55 PM
I will post some pics and show how it cam out either way!!!!!

Deer Slayer
07-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Oh Kay, why is it called Susan? :poke: Why not lazy Steve or any name. What is the origin of the name Lazy Susan? :cheers:

Scotrod
07-26-2014, 01:15 PM
A long time ago, there was a girl named Susan. Didn't do shit all day but sit in the corner,,, and spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn!!!!! :icon_biggrin:

Deer Slayer
07-26-2014, 05:54 PM
A long time ago, there was a girl named Susan. Didn't do shit all day but sit in the corner,,, and spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn!!!!! :icon_biggrin:

HA!:cheers:

SmallPasture
07-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Oh Kay, why is it called Susan? :poke: Why not lazy Steve or any name. What is the origin of the name Lazy Susan? :cheers:

:lolup: ...You made coffee shoot outta my nose!

My mom has been asking that exact same question all my life!!!

tonycarver
07-31-2014, 09:41 AM
so, got my 1000 lb. lazy Susan, looking forward to putting it together this weekend. couple of questions. firstly, how do you post pics here? I looked in the FAQ section couldn't see it. if the build is a success i'd love to let Ya'll see. secondly, where the heck can I go under the bike to position the "lifter" I don't want to damage the under carriage. I took a quick look a cpl of days ago didn't really see any "safe" spot....

tinkerman
07-31-2014, 10:37 AM
I guess you are thinking about using a bike lift on the turntable bearing. I have looked at the underside of the bike with that in mind as well but haven't gotten around to finalizing a good lifting process as I am still a half continent away from my shop.

When I built my spinning device a few years back I just bolted a ramped 2 x plank to the bearing and drove the bike up on the plank and spun it.

If you are using the lifting device on top of the bearing, be careful of the jacking points on the bike and how top heavy the whole assembly is with the bike elevated.

Just my .02

tink

tonycarver
07-31-2014, 11:43 AM
I guess you are thinking about using a bike lift on the turntable bearing. I have looked at the underside of the bike with that in mind as well but haven't gotten around to finalizing a good lifting process as I am still a half continent away from my shop.

When I built my spinning device a few years back I just bolted a ramped 2 x plank to the bearing and drove the bike up on the plank and spun it.

If you are using the lifting device on top of the bearing, be careful of the jacking points on the bike and how top heavy the whole assembly is with the bike elevated.

Just my .02

tink
you must be missing your toy....lol i'm still not sure how i'm gonna configure this:icon_doh: but when she's done i'll try to figure out how to post some snaps. bike lifter aint gonna cost much and i'm thinking maybe 4 or 6 patio slabs so it doesn't roll too much. yur right it'll be a delicate turn :yikes: no drinking while spinning i'm sure!

Scotrod
07-31-2014, 12:39 PM
The 2 X wooden 'track' on top sound plausible (and inexpensive)

Wondering if one could make it with a k-stand provision, kinda shaped like this dolly:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html

Would be nice to 'keep her low to the ground' and standing on it's own for spinnin purposes,,,, :shrug:

Maybe a metal channel w/ kstand plate welded on iso wood? Not sure whatcha got to work with,,,

tonycarver
07-31-2014, 01:11 PM
The 2 X wooden 'track' on top sound plausible (and inexpensive)

Wondering if one could make it with a k-stand provision, kinda shaped like this dolly:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html

Would be nice to 'keep her low to the ground' and standing on it's own for spinnin purposes,,,, :shrug:

Maybe a metal channel w/ kstand plate welded on iso wood? Not sure whatcha got to work with,,,

ya pretty much like that. wish I had a garage...but woe is me...lol

tinkerman
07-31-2014, 02:31 PM
you must be missing your toy....lol i'm still not sure how i'm gonna configure this:icon_doh: but when she's done i'll try to figure out how to post some snaps. bike lifter aint gonna cost much and i'm thinking maybe 4 or 6 patio slabs so it doesn't roll too much. yur right it'll be a delicate turn :yikes: no drinking while spinning i'm sure!

Nope...have my toy with me....picked it up in Vancouver and have it half way across the country....Canada....here in my shop in Sudbury. Will take it the rest of the way to my home on the East Coast in September.

Not sure how I am going to fit it into the shop at home....bunch of stuff there now:icon_rolleyes:

geo

tonycarver
08-01-2014, 10:51 AM
so we got the GIANT lazy susan, looks pretty cool. can anyone tell us (or post a pic) of just where underneath the bike, it's safe (safer?) to put a jack to lift up the bike. don't want to ruin something important. ours has only sidestand not a center stand

fxdl2051
08-09-2014, 11:24 PM
unfortunately....no center stand got the basic toy. we Canadians aren't allowed the luxuries of you other folks....lol

Center stand is less than $300 and not too hard to install I've heard, shop time is 1/2 hour if you have a dealer do it. You will never regret getting one, I added it to my standard and use it a lot, you barely see it's there. It also works as well as any center stand I have ever used.

Fla_rider
08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
:postpics:

Steve 0080
08-27-2014, 08:56 AM
I still have not received this item!!!! I will be contacting the C.C. company and disputing the charge !!!