PDA

View Full Version : luggage question

tonycarver
07-24-2014, 01:33 PM
we didn't buy our 6 to look like an old Goldwing with a cruising chair etc etc. we do however take some extended rides. the bags JUST don't seem to hold enough ...sometimes. we've had both textile and leather on our previous bikes but it seems a shame to put either onto the sleek look of a 6. any suggestions on where we could find a "small" hard sided (plastic I guess as opposed to either tex or leather) unit that will serve as a bit of a back rest for the wife but not look like we tried to "add on" all the missing parts of a full GW.

XKnight
07-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Look at Givi luggage/trunks. There was a thread recently where an F6 owner installed one and it looked good and is functional.

tonycarver
07-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Look at Givi luggage/trunks. There was a thread recently where an F6 owner installed one and it looked good and is functional.

thanks for the info but we went to that site already. drop down menu doesn't give the 6 as an option?

mtcgun
07-24-2014, 03:05 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3136-Givi-trunk

XKnight
07-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Another option for you might be the Rivco quick detach rack.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=36&cat=465&page=1

ghost
07-24-2014, 08:14 PM
I've attached photos of the Rivco carrier rack on my F6B. I have the Corbin smuggler trunk, so I lost the ability to just bungee cord an extra pack on the back of my seat. I can install/ uninstall the rack in, as Miles would say, exactly 6.895 seconds. Literally, you simply need to pull three clips. I have the added LED light bar option that Rivco offers with the rack. I found the mounting bracket for the tow hitch to be a little tough to install, mostly because I didn't want disassemble any more of the bike than I absolutely needed to. When the rack is removed, there is nothing visible to indicate you have a trailer hitch installed. (Its not a true trailer hitch, but looks identical to one.) I use the DrySpec waterproof duffle bags-- there is absolutely no way for the contents to get wet. As you can see, my taillights, etc. are also still completely visible. I have all LED bulbs in the taillight assembly. I'll put close to 1400 miles on in the next five days traveling this way, and it works for me.

DaWadd
07-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Must say I do like that Corbin Smuggler. Maybe in my future.

Steve 0080
07-24-2014, 11:34 PM
I prefer a trailer...... you can bring the kitchen sink!!!!

Darkknight
07-25-2014, 04:31 AM
Well, we tend to over-pack. I have been thinking about a trailer but then we would REALLY over-pack.

I use 2 DOWCO Iron Rider Main bags. One for me and one for Sweetie.
It does look like "granny" should be up top in her rocker but it works well, and they stay put. And it comes right off at the motel.

SmallPasture
07-25-2014, 07:18 AM
It does look like "granny" should be up top in her rocker.

:lolup: yup!

But like my pappy always says, at least you're doing it! :yes::yes:

hiflyer
07-25-2014, 07:24 AM
When I am not using the trunk, I use this.

jimmy hudson
07-25-2014, 09:10 AM
@ HiFlyer - That's a beautiful set up. Which luggage rack do you use and how do you attach the bags to the rack?

bob109
07-25-2014, 09:23 AM
we didn't buy our 6 to look like an old Goldwing with a cruising chair etc etc. we do however take some extended rides. the bags JUST don't seem to hold enough ...sometimes. we've had both textile and leather on our previous bikes but it seems a shame to put either onto the sleek look of a 6. any suggestions on where we could find a "small" hard sided (plastic I guess as opposed to either tex or leather) unit that will serve as a bit of a back rest for the wife but not look like we tried to "add on" all the missing parts of a full GW.

Many years ago I purchased a "Cruiser Bag" manufactured in Canada. The unit is made from 13" diameter PVC Plastic Pipe and covered in Vinyl. The Cruiser Bag has a built-in back rest which attaches with velcro strips and is both adjustable and removable. I had the bag mounted to several large cruisers and always found it to be both useful, and in my case, comfortable as I have it mounted to the passenger portion of my F6B seat. I do all solo riding so the bag stays permanently strapped to my bike.

This is the contact info for the Cruiser Bad Co. They may be out of business, not sure!

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVjtpZtJTJHwA_9sPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMG04Z2o 2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1406326505/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.toronto.net%2fdirectory%2fT75D .html/RK=0/RS=hK3QwdItCPYp_3SVudJqGHdGJTk-

hiflyer
07-25-2014, 01:06 PM
@ HiFlyer - That's a beautiful set up. Which luggage rack do you use and how do you attach the bags to the rack?

That's an MP3 rack, and though not visible in this pic (took before secured), there are adjustable straps that run from the front of the bag, under the rack, and hook into those plastic doo-dads. Plus there is a piece that slides over the backrest. Very secure. One note, I couldn't use this bag until I put a passenger backrest extension on the bike. The top plastic doo-dads, are for securing any add ons to the top of the bag.

jimmy hudson
07-25-2014, 08:32 PM
@ hf -Thanks, man.

Yes, the absence of straps did have me puzzled...hah!