PDA

View Full Version : BikeMP3 vs Honda Cargo Rack

SPGrenier
07-25-2014, 10:20 AM
As a newbie here, I've seen several posts with questions of these cargo carriers.

I had originally ordered the Honda Carrier until I learned of the BikeMP3 version on this board. My Honda dealer will take the Honda one back but I thought I'd wait so I could put them side by side and provide pics for others in the market for a carrier. Not sure if that has been done outside of text discussions.

As to overall size: Honda measures 11 3/4 inches wide X 10 1/8 front to back.
BikeMP3 Measures 17 7/8 inches wide X 11 1/2 front to back

As to the weight: The Honda, although significantly smaller weighs in at 3.25 lbs and the BikeMP3 at 2.3 lbs. The thickness of the metal used in
each is virtually the same. (sorry, I didn't have a digital caliper to measure them) BikeMP3 correctly states that they use a light
weight alloy.

Both cargo carriers have a recommended weight load of about 6.6 lbs. They are both very stylish. Both offer 4 pins on the underside to hook your bungee cords to.

Hope this helps!

hoglaw
07-25-2014, 11:40 AM
What's the price on the Honda cargo rack?

Scotrod
07-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Excellent comparo! :yes:

MP3 rack is the way to go if you actually plan to haul something!!!

I've got an OEM passenger backrest / mounts at home I need to install on my standard,,,

Pete ran a HECK of a special last winter on the rack, but I'm not sure he'll be able to do it again.

(I really have no 'immediate' need for any rack, but,,,, you know,, 'the force is strong!" LOL!)

jimmy hudson
07-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Excellent post: informative, concise, and for me, most compelling!

Bruce B
07-25-2014, 11:48 AM
No need to over think this one. The Honda rack is so small as to be of very limited use. The BikeMP3 rack is of equal quality in all aspects, looks great, and is perfectly sized for the bike. I've had the Bike MP3 rack for a long time and have never seen any other rack that I like as well. I'd guess that most other Forum members would concur.

Scotrod
07-25-2014, 12:57 PM
What's the price on the Honda cargo rack?

Not sure, but believe MSRP is 199
I believe the MP3 rack is 179,

SPGrenier
07-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Not sure, but believe MSRP is 199
I believe the MP3 rack is 179,

You are correct on the pricing. My Honda Dealer actually discounted the full MSPR down to $179.96. Basically costs are equal. If you have the standard model (w/o the passenger backrest), you will need the Rear Carrier Bracket. The part numbers are different so the covers match the color of your bike. I've seen those at around $100.00 online.

SCMike
07-25-2014, 02:36 PM
I've been using the Bike MP3 rack for about a month and a half. It works and looks great. I highly recommend it.

RT59
07-25-2014, 09:53 PM
I put the MP3 rack on my 6 several months ago and I have used it a lot. I could not be more happy with the fit, the finish and the capacity. If I was looking for a rack again, I would make the same choice.

-R

MinnetonkaMike
07-25-2014, 10:00 PM
I have a '13 deluxe - do I need any additional hardware for the MP3 rack? Or does it re use all the mounts & bolts? Also, I read on wing stuff that there are now plugs for the bolt holes...anyone seen those?

Thanks! MM

Ray H
07-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Just installed the MP3 Rack. Couldn't be happier with that choice. Looks great!

Ixol Phaane
07-25-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm really happy with my BikeMP3 rack.
Great fit, great finish and decent price.

SPGrenier
07-26-2014, 12:56 AM
I have a '13 deluxe - do I need any additional hardware for the MP3 rack? Or does it re use all the mounts & bolts? Also, I read on wing stuff that there are now plugs for the bolt holes...anyone seen those?

Thanks! MM

Here's a copy of the Honda Installation Instructions. Mounting the BikeMP3 is virtually the same process. The instruction address both the standard and the deluxe with the backrest.

http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L70-MJG-670.pdf

Bruce B
07-26-2014, 01:20 AM

Thanks! MM

Quite some time ago MP3 said they'd be shipping future racks with the bolt hole plugs. I'd guess that they are still doing that.

SPGrenier
07-26-2014, 05:53 AM
Yes The bolt hole plugs are in with the parts kit.

thunder217
07-26-2014, 05:08 PM
The Larger of the racks is the way you want to go. I had the same problem when I went to purchase one of the two racks. I decided on the larger one. I installed the backrest and the rack at the same time. I also had the standard model and had to purchase the install kit which makes you have to remove the entire rear cap to install2169. Please see you tube for removal. Not to hard to do.

mrjava
01-31-2016, 12:31 PM
A rack for a touring bike that only holds 6.6 pounds?
How much does a tourmaster bag weigh? now fill that bag with stuff you want.. maybe some camera gear?
Are the mounting holes attaching to the frame? or just body plastics?

Wompus racks (they dont have a rack for the F6B :( http://www.wompusracks.com/
holds up to 180 lbs !! I stood / bounced on the rack to test it :) no problems.

Im looking to mount a removeable trunk from Mutazu. But i need to know that the rack and bolts will support more than 6.6 lbs. 30 - 50 lbs would suffice.

3Chief
01-31-2016, 07:22 PM
I've had the MP3 rack for over a month and strap my 30-40lbs backpack on it everyday with no issues so far. I would tend to believe they say 6.6 lbs so if anything does fail its on us since we obviously overloaded it... Kinda like the capacity on a motorcycle in the first place. My fat a#$, gear and a backpack is over the limit on my VTX before a passenger...It's all about being able to deny your warranty when bearing and such wear out. My opinion anyway...

unsub
01-31-2016, 08:04 PM
...It's all about being able to deny your warranty when bearing and such wear out. My opinion anyway...

Yes, you are correct. Mfg. Warranties are all about protecting the manufacturer, not the consumer. Extended warranties are all about generating revenue for the underwriter and not protecting the consumer. :icon_wink:

buckeyeken47
01-31-2016, 08:06 PM
thunder217,

Do you have a link to the video? I sent a couple of minutes and couldn't find it.

BEIST
02-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Now you've got me buying a luggage rack! :banghead:

shortleg0521
02-01-2016, 07:51 AM
As a newbie here, I've seen several posts with questions of these cargo carriers.

I had originally ordered the Honda Carrier until I learned of the BikeMP3 version on this board. My Honda dealer will take the Honda one back but I thought I'd wait so I could put them side by side and provide pics for others in the market for a carrier. Not sure if that has been done outside of text discussions.

As to overall size: Honda measures 11 3/4 inches wide X 10 1/8 front to back.
BikeMP3 Measures 17 7/8 inches wide X 11 1/2 front to back

As to the weight: The Honda, although significantly smaller weighs in at 3.25 lbs and the BikeMP3 at 2.3 lbs. The thickness of the metal used in
each is virtually the same. (sorry, I didn't have a digital caliper to measure them) BikeMP3 correctly states that they use a light
weight alloy.

Both cargo carriers have a recommended weight load of about 6.6 lbs. They are both very stylish. Both offer 4 pins on the underside to hook your bungee cords to.

Hope this helps!
Have been using the MP3 rack since I got my bike and it is the way to go.
All my Kury luggage fit just right and it is easier to strap things to than the
Honda rack

RickJ
02-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Now you've got me buying a luggage rack! :banghead:

yup...I'm sittin here minding my own business...lookin through past posts before i start my day and BOOM now I need a luggage rack....damn youall

mrjava
02-02-2016, 08:13 AM
This is the trunk im looking at getting.
I could make it removable.

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=150&product_id=569&s=prod.php

BEIST
03-03-2016, 02:31 AM
I own a 2013 Standard Edition that came without the backrest. Do I need to purchase the $100 back rest bracket offered by mother Honda in order to install my BikeMP3 rack properly? The link below shows the metal brackets that I am asking about - listed as Bracket, Rear Carrier (Black) part number 08L73-MJG-670ZB

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/gold-wing-f6b/accessories.aspx

George at Cyclemax recommended an extra washer kit for $18, which I did purchase, but he certainly did not sound too sure about whether the bracket was required or not. These are the washers he recommended:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/trunk_rack_base_washer_kit/185897/287705

Thanks in advance for any help.

53driver
03-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Beist - I have the Deluxe, so no personal experience. But many people have installed the MP3 rack on a Standard and I don't recall in any threads that they have needed an accessory from Honda to make it so. Looks like SPGrenier has a Standard also, maybe PM him?
Best of luck,
Steve

98valk
03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Beist,
I am sure that you do need the bracket set to install any luggage rack. Don't know that you needed the washer set, though ....

Hopefully, you will get more opinions.

BEIST
03-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Beist,
I am sure that you do need the bracket set to install any luggage rack. Don't know that you needed the washer set, though ....

Hopefully, you will get more opinions.

Thanks 98valk! I just now ordered the bracket. I really appreciate your quick response.

unsub
06-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Installed my BikeMP3 touring rack today. Rounds the bike out nicely.

unsub
06-28-2016, 06:51 PM
I own a 2013 Standard Edition that came without the backrest. Do I need to purchase the $100 back rest bracket offered by mother Honda in order to install my BikeMP3 rack properly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The short answer is yes. Although there might be work arounds. I have the install instructions for both the backrest and the rack. I can email them to you if you PM me.

F6B1911
06-28-2016, 07:46 PM
The short answer is yes. Although there might be work arounds. I have the install instructions for both the backrest and the rack. I can email them to you if you PM me.

I purchased part number: 08L73-MJG-670ZB, you don't need the back rest.

unsub
06-28-2016, 11:10 PM
Correct, he asked about the brackets. Maybe I muddied the water a bit with my reply, but I meant yes to the brackets. Thanks for clarification.:yes:

SPGrenier
07-03-2016, 01:40 PM
I have often loaded the MP3 rack with whatever I've needed on the bike.

Last year we took enough gear for a 4 day trip. Pic number 3.

Today, we just got back from 2 1/2 days out. I've easily had upwards of 50+ pounds on that rack. I have not seen or had any issues with it. Pics 1 and 2 show a large camouflage duffle and a small bag on top of it. My leather coat is sandwiched in between and there's a cooler with six cold bottles and ice packs. Rack handled it just fine.

My apologies for the side ways pictures. I've rotated them at different views but they come out the same on the forum. I'm not sure what the issue is or how to correct it. Is there an edit function somewhere to correct the rotation?

Dirtstiff's F6B
07-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Installed my BikeMP3 touring rack today. Rounds the bike out nicely.

I just mounted mine. The MP3 rack makes my oem rack useless..

Circle-5
07-03-2016, 07:50 PM
A recent delivery of a BikeMP3 rack included hole plugs that did not fit, even with brute force and a swig of Yukon Jack. Using a digital caliper and a machinist's hole gauge, I measured the mounting holes at 0.7650in. I.D. and the plugs at 0.8045in. O.D.

Looking back at old posts on the forum, early buyers (2013) of the rack measured the holes at 13/16in. (0.8125in.), so the new holes are slightly smaller. This explains why the plugs no longer fit.

It's an easy fix: 3/4-in. plugs are available here on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PF05M2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They fit tight and just right. I have enough extra plugs for 4 racks, if anyone runs into the same problem.

Felloverboard
07-03-2016, 08:07 PM
A GIVI topcase fits on the OEM rack ok. I have hauled large watermelons in the topcase several times. Probably a lot more than 6.6 lbs.

unsub
07-04-2016, 12:09 PM
A recent delivery of a BikeMP3 rack included hole plugs that did not fit

Similar experience myself. I applied a thin coat of dish soap to the plugs and a firm but gentle bop with the mallet. But yeah, a bit oversized.

Thanks for the Amazon link.

unsub
07-04-2016, 12:15 PM
I just mounted mine. The MP3 rack makes my oem rack useless..

I'll only install accessories that add value to the ride, and this rack does.:yes:

2kewlgypsy
07-04-2016, 12:50 PM

My very first accessory was this - and two years later I'm still real happy with it. Got it from Wingstuff, and had it within a week, for a camping trip we were going on. Seems odd that no one has mentioned this rack yet, I know the title of the post is MP3 vs Honda, but surely this could be a contender?
2~kewl

Dirtstiff's F6B
07-04-2016, 12:59 PM

unsub
07-05-2016, 02:48 AM

My very first accessory was this - and two years later I'm still real happy with it. Got it from Wingstuff, and had it within a week, for a camping trip we were going on. Seems odd that no one has mentioned this rack yet, I know the title of the post is MP3 vs Honda, but surely this could be a contender?
2~kewl
It seems practical for tying bungee hooks down. I think another member here has one too.

SPGrenier
07-05-2016, 09:58 AM

2~kewl

I haven't searched the site for all available styes of cargo racks. Wingstuff is a cool site as well.

I started with the Honda rack for 2 reasons. I wanted a black rack and, as I recall, it was free as part of my $1,000 Honda accessories rebate when I bought the F6B. When I stumbled across the MP3 rack, I liked the additional size and the style was quite similar.

Your rack looks larger than the Honda one. I'm sure the forum would like a review of your's as well. Pictures of it mounted on your bike would be great too. Have at it my friend.

2kewlgypsy
07-07-2016, 09:18 AM
I seem to remember this comes in chrome as well as the black chrome that I have. I ended up getting a top bag that people put on the trunk of goldwings and harley baggers. Its not super huge, but fits on the rack quite well. I stitched some velcro tabs around the bottom to hook onto the rack, 6 in total. It goes on and comes off in minutes.
I attached a picture of the bottom of that bag as well, to give you mounting options.

how the heck did the pictures end up upside down on here?
2~Kewl