PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Assault....

CheckpointChcky
07-25-2014, 04:00 PM
I was taking a nice ride this afternoon when I obviously hit some huge bug with a big shiny green head and it hit right on the vent on the windshield. The force of the impact splattered that bug's guts through the vent and plastered my face!!! It was disgusting and I couldn't wait to get somewhere where I could wash my face. I've never been hit like that and it certainly got my attention. YUCK!!!!!

zzh54
07-25-2014, 04:10 PM
I had that happen to me, but I had no windshield. The bug hit me on the bridge of my nose where my sunglasses are, cracked the frame of my glasses. I had bug all over my fore head. :yikes:

Steve 0080
07-25-2014, 04:44 PM
I got hit by a large bird once and it knocked my hand off the handle bar and brusied up my entire shoulder where it hit me...almost came off the bike!!!

Ericb445
07-25-2014, 05:40 PM
I got hit in the face by an owl doing 80 on a sport bike.
Cracked the windshield and busted my helmet face shield.
Blood and feathers everywhere.
Not a good day for me. I some how kept the bike up right.

jimmy hudson
07-25-2014, 05:41 PM
I've had bugs in the eyes, a yellow jacket in the helmet (stinging the fool outta me), gravel and cinders bouncing up from out of nowhere, a Japanese beetle in the mouth... usually, while being tailed by a lunatic driving a log truck doing 80, strangely enough.

Forty years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead riding a wheel with a windshield, let alone while wearing earplugs...hah!
The wind in my face, the sound of the exhaust; the barest essentials: padded fingerless gloves, black leather jacket, engineer boots.
Okay, I still rely on leather jackets, Chippewa engineer boots and leather gloves, but insist on a face shield and windshield.

Never had anything come through the vent though...I will consider your story and my vent angle in the future!

Fla_rider
07-25-2014, 07:58 PM
you going to love this...:postpics:

Deer Slayer
07-26-2014, 09:33 AM
The yellow bugs taste like chicken. :yikes: Full face thingies are great. :cheers:

Racer X
07-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Wow..so I guess I'm not alone..in my 35 yrs of ridin...I've eaten more bugs than u can shake a stick at...however...my worst was having a bee/yellow jacket..not sure which..fly into my helmet...at 80mph...and sting the holy crap outta me..a few times...at least..it felt like a few times... Wasn't a fun day!! Hurt like hell for the next few days..and left a knot on the side of my face for a while!!! (But...being a die-hard rider...I mounted up the very next day) only a true biker could understand that thinkin'...:icon_lol:

Steve 0080
07-26-2014, 12:05 PM
I had a Bee fly into my shirt once while riding...quite a dance on a bike!!!

GNW
07-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Ok here's one for ya. Years ago my wife and I were riding around a curve on a two lane when a cattle truck passed in the curve with the wind blowing at the right angle of the dangle and a cow pissed all over us. Really, had forgotten about that one but this thread brought that back to mind. No, it didn't taste like chicken !!

Steve 0080
07-26-2014, 01:04 PM
As you rode along were Bulls running up to the fence........ :lolup:

Hornblower
07-26-2014, 01:28 PM
I've had three stinging insect encounters, as I recall. All these happened on much less protected bikes than the F6B. Once, a hornet somehow flew in and lodged between crotch and seat and yes, that bad boy let me have it. Talk about an emergency stop :yikes:. Another time, I made the mistake of riding with my mouth open and a wasp flew right in and yep, he nailed me too. Another emergency stop :yikes:. Not nearly as exciting but more recently, a yellow jacket flew in and got me in the neck. I didn't even stop for that one since I brushed him off almost immediately. Another advantage of the F6B is hopefully, much better protection from all these angry bugs :thumb:

imported_NMRed
07-26-2014, 02:51 PM
I've had two rounds with quail. The first one broke the shield and chin bar on a modular helmet. Don't know how I kept the bike upright but the cagger behind me said it looked like my head exploded. The second was a few weeks ago on the 6. Took out the tall Honda screen. Beware of tall clumps of grass along the roads where these suicidal birds live.

CheckpointChcky
07-26-2014, 03:59 PM
WOW!!!!!!! The experience some of you guys have had make my incident of yesterday seem extremely mild. I have had a bee fly inside my blouse a few months ago and sting me on my right side. I managed to get off the bike and slap that thing dead. But a Quail to the head?! That's got to be one painful experience. Love these stories.

Deer Slayer
07-26-2014, 05:52 PM
I've had three stinging insect encounters, as I recall. All these happened on much less protected bikes than the F6B. Once, a hornet somehow flew in and lodged between crotch and seat and yes, that bad boy let me have it. Talk about an emergency stop :yikes:. Another time, I made the mistake of riding with my mouth open and a wasp flew right in and yep, he nailed me too. Another emergency stop :yikes:. Not nearly as exciting but more recently, a yellow jacket flew in and got me in the neck. I didn't even stop for that one since I brushed him off almost immediately. Another advantage of the F6B is hopefully, much better protection from all these angry bugs :thumb:

That is why you ride in front!:yikes:

grendl
07-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Let's see if I can remember the chronological order, first a June bug to the shoulder. That was a few years back when people were shooting off bridges and at the speed I was going on a cafe racer the timing was right. Just as I was going under this thing hit my shoulder. Then a swarm of bees,which convinced me if I hadn't been already to wear the full face helmet. Even at that some of them got in.I could not get that helmet off fast enough,I cant imagine what the cagers thought was going on..funny in retrospect..
Then in Illinois there is a thing called 'stink bugs' that are appropriately named.One that wasn't a natural event was some guy threw a beer can out of the car going the other way. He wasn't throwing it at me ,but his speed caused the can to cross the road and again, timing, it hit my booted foot and STILL hurt like the dickens....
The last great experience was something that was big ,yellow and juicy that I hit in Iowa. That mess covered half my shield,I'll never know what it was.
The rest is dodging birds that seem too close and watching for deer,raccoon and yesterday a coyote that decided to cross as I was coming..

edgeman55
07-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Ok here's one for ya. Years ago my wife and I were riding around a curve on a two lane when a cattle truck passed in the curve with the wind blowing at the right angle of the dangle and a cow pissed all over us. Really, had forgotten about that one but this thread brought that back to mind. No, it didn't taste like chicken !!

Had the same thing happen many moons ago but I did not get hit with piss,but a loose #2!!Yea it was funny seeing the looks on truckers faces at the truckstop when I was washing off:shock:Another time in Idaho we got in to a road full of grasshoppers going from one field to another.Thousands of them hitting us and the bikes everywere.My buddy in front of me had a fishtail of bug guts coming off his rear wheel.Our Goldwings overheated as the radiators were clogged with all those poor little grasshoppers.

Pap
07-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I would swear you all were in that movie!! :icon_wink:
I cannot make fun of your pain without sharing my experience.
One was a June bug going 80 with a 3/4 helmet with a 3/4 shield.
Pulled over immediately and kept feeling my chin. Thought it cut me open!
I too went through a swarm of bees. I first thought it was a smoke coming from someone's campfire. Talk about some new fast dance moves!! Almost stripped down to my undies! I HATE bees by the way!

NO pics either!!

SmallPasture
07-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Loving the stories!!!

Too many bugs to count or remember...but the buzzard that dropped his to-go lunch on the windshield of my Concours 14 between Leakey and Concan, tx on Hwy 83 was UNGODLY!!!!!!! I've learned to star honking when approaching a group of buzzards on the side of the road just so they will clear out by the time I get there. They are know to buz or fly disturbingly close to you as they gain altitude. Don't get me started on the turkeys!!! That's a whole other story!!

This particular day there had to be 5 to 10 of the bastards on the side of the highway at a buffet. It had been raining for the last 3 days so what ever they were munching on was good and ripe. Well the majority of the group took off as I approached but the one they designed to grab the carry out was a bit late getting the notice. It had just started to get airborne as I ran up on him. just as he gets eye level he got nervous and dropped his Take-Out my windshield and of course my full face helmet.....

the smell will live w/ me for the rest of my life! You never forget a smell like that. I rode the next 20 miles w/ my modular flipped up hanging my head out into the wind and gagging....Hell I gagged for the next 2 days because I could get the smell outta the helmet!

Fear the Buzzards!!!

Elroy
07-28-2014, 10:09 AM
What a great thread! Entertaining stories here.

The only one I have to recount happened a few years ago. Still not POSITIVE what hit me, but my best guess is that it was a burrito thrown from a passing van full of kids. Hit me square in the forehead and almost took myself and my passenger out.

Very, very Anchorman.

CheckpointChcky
07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
What a great thread! Entertaining stories here.

The only one I have to recount happened a few years ago. Still not POSITIVE what hit me, but my best guess is that it was a burrito thrown from a passing van full of kids. Hit me square in the forehead and almost took myself and my passenger out.

Very, very Anchorman.

Oh my goodness! I don't whether to laugh or gag!

XKnight
07-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Lots of bug guts for me, but luckily no birds or burritos. Worst thing that happened to me was a wasp got into my FF helmet while riding. I was able to pull over and get my helmet off before getting stung.

Elroy
07-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Oh my goodness! I don't whether to laugh or gag!

Chucky, it's ok, you can laugh. :icon_lol: it's funny now that I think about it, but I was furious when it happened.

Lots of bug guts for me, but luckily no birds or burritos. Worst thing that happened to me was a wasp got into my FF helmet while riding. I was able to pull over and get my helmet off before getting stung.

Knight, I would take a burrito over a wasp, hornet, or bee in my helmet any day! There are three things in life that reduce me to a squabbling 5 year old girl; spiders, anything with a stinger, and the Cleveland Browns! :banghead:

Darren
07-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Whilst wearing 1 piece leathers on a hot day I had the zip partially down and was on a multi lane highway in London I was passing a car and the guy flicked his lit cigarette out of the window, it went down the front of my leathers, I was unable to stop so tried to put it out by punching myself in the crotch repeatedly, must have been a funny sight.

SmallPasture
07-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Whilst wearing 1 piece leathers on a hot day I had the zip partially down and was on a multi lane highway in London I was passing a car and the guy flicked his lit cigarette out of the window, it went down the front of my leathers, I was unable to stop so tried to put it out by punching myself in the crotch repeatedly, must have been a funny sight.

:lolup:... I bet it was a sight!!!

Deer Slayer
07-29-2014, 11:25 AM
My first DEER ran into the right engine guard, flipped up an broke the mirror and wind shield and dispatched me!:yikes::cheers:

Marauderm
07-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Someone explain that. I was doin about 70 in California mid day and a small bird gave his life as he flew into the right front do my fairing. The bulk of his lifeless body slid over my shoulder but a couple dozen secondary (the small ones that still look like a bird feather, only smaller) showed up on the space between my speaker cones and the black grate that covers them......no holes in the speakers. Almost like a magic bullet. Pulled most of the feathers through the grates....

Here us a question, how do you take the speaker grates out so I can get the rest?

Deer Slayer
07-29-2014, 05:07 PM
I blew the Yellow feather out with an air hose nozzle. Speaker bottom is open and all stuff should go out the bottom. :cheers: