PDA

View Full Version : Riding down for a new Russell Day-Long seat

MichaelG
06-11-2013, 09:41 AM
I will be leaving home in about 1 hour, to ride down to Northern California, the Redding area...to have my new Russell seat done tomorrow. This will be my 11th seat done by Russell Day-Long saddles.

If there is anyone in the Redding/Red Bluff area, and wants to meet for dinner tonight...dinner is on me. I will be staying at the Howard Johnson Express Inn, and will be there about 5:00 pm, so look me up. I will have the only F6B in the parking lot.

After the seat is done, tomorrow, I will be riding home tomorrow evening. It is only a short 525 miles each way.

Alberta Beagle
06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I will be leaving home in about 1 hour, to ride down to Northern California, the Redding area...to have my new Russell seat done tomorrow. This will be my 11th seat done by Russell Day-Long saddles.

If there is anyone in the Redding/Red Bluff area, and wants to meet for dinner tonight...dinner is on me. I will be staying at the Howard Johnson Express Inn, and will be there about 5:00 pm, so look me up. I will have the only F6B in the parking lot.

After the seat is done, tomorrow, I will be riding home tomorrow evening. It is only a short 525 miles each way.

Enjoy the ride and be safe Miles.

Looking forward to your review and pictures.

Beagle

F6B-RICH
06-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Enjoy the ride and be safe Miles.

Looking forward to your review and pictures.

Beagle

And may I add the always and very scary :yikes: price of the seat :yikes:

edgeman55
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Safe ride Miles,Look foward to pictures and your thoughts on the new seat.My buddy has one on his Goldwing and I am wondering what it will look like on the F6b.Having tried out my friends it great to ride on but looks large on a full dress 1800 Wing.

Phantom
06-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Miles, have a safe ride , don't forget to hire a ARMED guard to protect the F6B at the Hotel. :067:

Safe travels, P6B

MichaelG
06-12-2013, 04:33 PM
And may I add the always and very scary :yikes: price of the seat :yikes:

Rich, while I am still here at Russell, I have already paid the bill, and it came to a grand total of $590.00. They do give me a 10% discount, because of being a repeat customer.

In my opinion...the seat is worth twice the cost.

F6B-RICH
06-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Rich, while I am still here at Russell, I have already paid the bill, and it came to a grand total of $590.00. They do give me a 10% discount, because of being a repeat customer.

Thanks that price is not bad at all Miles.I hope you post some pictures when you get a chance.

MichaelG
06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Here are the pictures of the newest Russell seat made for me. It is my 11th Russell seat over the past 24 years, since I started using their seats. Officially I have documented more than 1 million miles on their seats. Maybe...just maybe, my butt has now been formed into the shape to perfectly fit the mold of a Russell seat, and that is why I like them so much. Rode home from Redding, Calif last night...ride was 7 hours and 15 minutes to go 525 miles. Quite frankly, it was even too fast for my own wishes, but while I told myself a thousand times to slow down...apparently I did not listen to myself.

Got home at 10:20 pm, and after taking off all my riding gear, but still had the LDComfort clothes on, my butt did the Happy Butt Dance, and I took a video of it, but...was advised that I might scare a lot of people, so, this is all you get to see :moon:

Okay, pictures:

Now, please keep in mind, that this seat works PERFECTLY for ME...but that does not mean it will work perferctly for you. We all have different butts, and if the seat you have works perfectly for you, then that is the best seat...for you.

Also, I have always said that Russell seats are the ugliest seats in the world, but the most comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised when they were all done, and the seat was mounted on the bike, at how well the entire package looked. This is the best looking Russell seat I have ever had. It does not take away from the looks or the lines of the bike. And even on the short 525 mile ride home, I can tell that this seat fits me so perfectly, it is the best Russell seat I have ever sat on.

Some may ask WHY I have a velour seating area. That is because it does not get HOT in the summertime, and does not get COLD in the wintertime. It allows me to move comfortably, not stick to the seat, and my butt does not get hot. If it rains...I am either sitting on the seat...so it is protected...or the bike has a cover on it, so the seat is protected. I have used a velour seating area for over 20 years, and am very happy with that choice. It wears better than leather.

MNF6B
06-13-2013, 04:25 PM
What a delicious looking saddle. How much?

Rich

MichaelG
06-13-2013, 05:18 PM
What a delicious looking saddle. How much?

Rich

while I am still here at Russell, I have already paid the bill, and it came to a grand total of $590.00. They do give me a 10% discount, because of being a repeat customer.

Memphian
06-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Miles that seat rocks, not ugly at all.
:icon_biggrin:

KGREEN
06-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Miles can you give use some more details on the seat. It looks like you were moved 1" closer to the tank and lowered 1". Did they do anything to the passenger seat? It does look comfortable.

MichaelG
06-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Miles can you give use some more details on the seat. It looks like you were moved 1" closer to the tank and lowered 1". Did they do anything to the passenger seat? It does look comfortable.

Looks can be deceiving. In reality, I was not moved forward at all, and the seating pocket was moved back about 1 inch, so when all was said and done, I was moved backward...not forward. And...the Russell seat sits me about 1.5 inches higher...not lower...than the stock OEM seat.
We did techncial measurements, and the seat is 1.5 inches higher than the original seat, so that I am certain.

The entire key to a Russell seat is...it is internally sprung...with a spring suspension system. So it is not just a foam seat shaped to look like that. It actually has metal springs and a suspension support system to maintain the saddle affect. It allows the rider to sit on the outer gluteal area, rather than put pressure on their spinal cord.

www.day-long.com

MNF6B
06-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Looks can be deceiving. In reality, I was not moved forward at all, and the seating pocket was moved back about 1 inch, so when all was said and done, I was moved backward...not forward. And...the Russell seat sits me about 1.5 inches higher...not lower...than the stock OEM seat.
We did techncial measurements, and the seat is 1.5 inches higher than the original seat, so that I am certain.

The entire key to a Russell seat is...it is internally sprung...with a spring suspension system. So it is not just a foam seat shaped to look like that. It actually has metal springs and a suspension support system to maintain the saddle affect. It allows the rider to sit on the outer gluteal area, rather than put pressure on their spinal cord.

www.day-long.com

That is a shame on the seat height going up 1". I would not be able to touch the ground.

MichaelG
06-14-2013, 08:28 AM
That is a shame on the seat height going up 1". I would not be able to touch the ground.

Really ??? Well this seat can be done, and not raise it anything at all. I asked them to raise the seat from the OEM height...to a specific height, for me. In doing so, they actually cut away 100 % of the OEM foam, all the way down to the seat pan (in the riders' area), and built it up from there. They are able to do the same thing, build the Russell suspension system onto the seat, and keep it at the OEM height.

( there was a joke that went with this post, but even I deemed it to be just plain stupid):banghead::icon_redface:

MNF6B
06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Really ??? Well this seat can be done, and not raise it anything at all. I asked them to raise the seat from the OEM height...to a specific height, for me. In doing so, they actually cut away 100 % of the OEM foam, all the way down to the seat pan (in the riders' area), and built it up from there. They are able to do the same thing, build the Russell suspension system onto the seat, and keep it at the OEM height.

( there was a joke that went with this post, but even I deemed it to be just plain stupid):banghead::icon_redface:

That is good information. i will look into this solution.

The fact that you held back a stupid joke is admirable. Kinda like suppressing a fart in church.
:nono: