PDA

View Full Version : Concours 14 vs F6B

Michigander
07-27-2014, 01:15 PM
I am new to the forum. I presently own a Concours 14 but am considering a switch to the F6B (I already have approval from my wife :icon_biggrin:).

I love my Concours, but also love the look of the F6B and looking for a bit more comfort.

I am interested in any feedback from other members who have previous experience with the Concours 14.

Would I miss my Kawi?

Hornblower
07-27-2014, 01:37 PM
I am new to the forum. I presently own a Concours 14 but am considering a switch to the F6B (I already have approval from my wife :icon_biggrin:).

I love my Concours, but also love the look of the F6B and looking for a bit more comfort.

I am interested in any feedback from other members who have previous experience with the Concours 14.

Would I miss my Kawi?

Highly doubtful you will ever regret it, IMO. Like you, I loved my C14 and had no thoughts of going Honda until I saw the F6B. The Concours is not generally thought of as top-heavy but, compared to the F6B, it is. If you're like most of us here on this forum, you'll love the handling, comfort, versatility, and dependability of the "B". Dragging pegs is about the only noticeable limiting factor but you can do what the rest of us do and merely consider that as our "early warning system" :icon_rolleyes:.

ReserveBum
07-27-2014, 02:57 PM
ok, here is the deal. I rode a Concours C-10 from 08 till this March. I had committed to buying a new bike this year as it is my 60th bday. My choices were down to the C-14 or a FJR. I went to the NY auto show just to confirm my choice and I saw the Honda F6B, sat on it, asked about it, then researched it. I chose the F6B but I was gonna keep the Kawi as well. Bottom Line....there is no comparison, its like apples to oranges. After three days with the Honda, I realized I would not have an occasion where the Kawi would be preferable so I sold it. F6B is best bike I've ever owned, hands down. A few more bucks but well worth it IMHO

Mrf13
07-27-2014, 03:25 PM
I agree Reservebum
I purchased 13 FJR in Feb 13. Test rode F6b in May. Purchased F6B on 6/4/13
Rode it two weeks. So after two weeks I decided to ride my FJR. Rode a few miles. Came home and put it up for sale. Could not see a scenario where I would choose it over my F6.

JBnAZ
07-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Owned a 2012 C14 and now a 13 F6B. They are designed for different purposes. The C14 was designed to go fast, with some touring after thoughts. The F6B is designed for general riding purposes with lots of comfort - on a well balanced and very dependable platform.

The only thing I miss from my C14 is the speed, but to be honest owning a bike that begs to be ridden at 130 mph every time I rode it is not the best choice for me with the cost of tickets and my reduced lack of invincibility.

For overall ride-ability and fun the Honda fits the bill. My wife loves the passenger comfort of the Honda. I can still ride fast but not silly, stupid fast as I did on the Connie.

It comes down to your specific prioritized requirements for fun! At 51 and for general purpose riding the Honda is a blast. The wife ans I are planning a week of riding through Utah and Colorado in September, something she would never have considered on the C14 due to passenger body position and lack of overall comfort.

You can't go wrong with either bike. Good luck and enjoy whichever one you ultimately ride.

JB

Tedubya
07-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Had a 2010 C14. Don't miss it at all.

motozeke
07-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Tastes are so subjective, aren't they? I'll just contribute this: I've also got a Multistrada 1200 and a VFR800, and the only places where either cleans up on the F6B is in the really tight and twisty stuff (VFR wins, for me at least) and passing power (instantaneous on the Multi, linear and building on the F6B). In the 20 mph and under turns the wheelbase and weight of the F6B becomes a force of nature, you just have to deal with it. On sweepers though, I would not put the F6B behind any bike I've ridden. On one of my rides with a bunch of buddies, at one point I was followed through a series of high speed sweepers, a K1200S in front and a K1300S behind. The owner of the K1300S, who also owns a Goldwing, couldn't believe how fast I was able to go and keep up, without grinding the pegs. But as things tightened up I fell behind. I think that's your biggest tradeoff. But for all the added benefits (comfort, amazing beauty, smooth power, good range, stereo system, Honda quality and durability), it feels like a pretty small tradeoff to me.

Michigander
07-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

It sounds a lot like what I expected. More comfort, but some trade off in handling.

Since I live in Michigan I don't get too many opportunities to drag my pegs. I am thinking the F6B may be the trade off I need.

How is the acceleration? I am reading that the F6B pulls like a freight train. It looks like the 0-60 time is about a second longer than the Connie. Do you notice that?

Thanks again. I may schedule a test ride later this week . . .

RT59
07-28-2014, 05:15 AM
There are times when I miss my C14... But then I remember how much more comfortable my 6 is and how well it rides for longer trips and trailer towing. It's at this point the feeling goes away.

Sure, the 6 doesn't give me the same feeling when I roll through the gears, but overall I am a happier rider the vast majority of the time on the Honda. If money and garage space wasn't an issue, I would still have a C14 in the garage - more than likely though, it would collect dust and remind me that it was the look and shear acceleration that drives the fond memories of the c14, not the overall comfort and great handling at all speeds.

-R

RT59
07-28-2014, 05:30 AM
The F6b is no slouch... But it doesn't wind-up like the C14. If you're like many here who have made a similar switch, you'll find that the overall torque band on the Honda is a delight and the acceleration is good enough to provide a smile and good time on the open road or the interstate ramps.

SmallPasture
07-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Rode the Connie for 3 years before finally giving up realizing I was wasting that bike! Never used half the power! Having come from Goldwings it was easy to come back home to the 6.

You will not regret it!

Fla_rider
07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
You got the wifes approval, for me that's a done deal!:yikes:

You'll being saying what took you so long before you can drive the F6B home!

racer
07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
How is the acceleration? I am reading that the F6B pulls like a freight train. It looks like the 0-60 time is about a second longer than the Connie. Do you notice that?

you won't give up any acceleration to 60 mph. The F6B is VERY quick.

the concours does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... the f6b in 3.3 seconds.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22/harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-vs-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test/

You won't notice .2 seconds. You WILL notice that the concours has a MUCH higher top speed. And a faster 1/4 e.t. But the concours looks like a crotch rocket with bags attached.

2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 VFR 0-60 mph 3.5 Quarter Mile 11.4

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcycle-0-60-mph-Times.html

This review says 3.6 seconds for the concours.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/reviews/motorcycles/sports-tourers/kawasaki-gtr1400-2007---present/review/387.html#ixzz38mTB1APo

•Price: £12400.00
•Year: from 2007
•Top speed: 160mph
•Engine capacity: 1352cc
•Power: 155bhp
•Torque: 100.5lb ft
•Weight: 279kg
•0-60: 3.6 seconds

SmallPasture
07-28-2014, 12:24 PM
But the concours looks like a crotch rocket with bags attached.

:lolup:, Yup!
It takes a certain kinda body type to call this comfortable (not mine). After 200 miles my shoulders/neck/knees were killing me. Well, once the adrenaline wore off! That bike is silly quick! :yikes:

Madmax
07-28-2014, 12:44 PM
My buddy owns a Kawi dealer and I had plenty of time on a Connie 14 , had a demo for a week before I picked the F6b . No bike does one thing well thats why I have 6 ... LOL
Comparing the Connie to F6b I think its personal preference if thats your two choices .
I think the C14 is more of a sport tour like a heavy FZ1 with saddle bags , riding position is ok but nothing like F6B .
C14 has plenty of power , ABS and a really cool power wind screen and removable bags ... Honda are you reading ... Hint Hint .
The F6b is in another class in it self , very nibble for the size of the machine , I never thought of ever owning a wing .... I never knew what i was missing till I got my machine !

Michigander
07-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the additional responses.

I am not much of a high speed rider -- I doubt I have broken 100 mph more than a dozen times in the 35,000 miles I have ridden the Connie.

I DO enjoy the brisk effortless acceleration (both from a stop and at highway speeds).

Now I just need to pull the trigger .... It would be a lot easier if I could get a demo ride. The closest dealer that showed a demo F6B sold it :icon_frown:

Trying to find another one....

thanks again.

Michigander
07-28-2014, 04:22 PM
:lolup:, Yup!
It takes a certain kinda body type to call this comfortable (not mine). After 200 miles my shoulders/neck/knees were killing me. Well, once the adrenaline wore off! That bike is silly quick! :yikes:

+1

I am 51 and starting to feel my limits, which is one reason I am interested in the F6B.

Michigander
07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
you won't give up any acceleration to 60 mph. The F6B is VERY quick.

the concours does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... the f6b in 3.3 seconds.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22/harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-vs-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test/

You won't notice .2 seconds. You WILL notice that the concours has a MUCH higher top speed. And a faster 1/4 e.t. But the concours looks like a crotch rocket with bags attached.

2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 VFR 0-60 mph 3.5 Quarter Mile 11.4

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcycle-0-60-mph-Times.html

This review says 3.6 seconds for the concours.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/reviews/motorcycles/sports-tourers/kawasaki-gtr1400-2007---present/review/387.html#ixzz38mTB1APo

•Price: £12400.00
•Year: from 2007
•Top speed: 160mph
•Engine capacity: 1352cc
•Power: 155bhp
•Torque: 100.5lb ft
•Weight: 279kg
•0-60: 3.6 seconds

Thanks for these links racer. I was trying to find some 0-60 times :icon_razz: