PDA

View Full Version : What bikes did you consider buying before settling on the F6B?

CheesyRider
08-02-2014, 10:21 PM
I'd like to hear about the bikes that folks were considering before settling on the F6B. And what caused you to eliminate them from your list.

At first, I was thinking about getting an adventure style bike mostly for the upright riding position. I test rode these:

BMW R1200GS (the new liquid cooled version) - This would be my favorite bike ever if not for two things - annoying foot peg vibration and the reputation this bike has for problems. They are using a heavier flywheel for 2015, so I suppose there's a chance that will help with the vibration.

Yamaha Super Tenere - Great handling, but boring engine, and too much vibration.

Triumph Tiger Explorer - Powerful engine with nice sound, but bothersome vibration in the handlebars. Also, there were a lot of problems the first couple years this bike was made. Supposedly, Triumph has redesigned the problematic components. But, I'm still a bit concerned.

As you may have noticed, I'm a bit sensitive to vibration. I've been riding for over 25 years and somehow ever since I got my 2011 Yamaha FJR, vibration on that bike and many others bugs the heck out of me. After some internet researching I discovered that the Honda flat-6 has virtually nobody complaining of annoying vibration. So, I reluctantly decided the F6B was worth checking out. I thought for sure weight and power would be deal breakers.

Victory Cross Country - Before I had a chance to test ride the F6B, Victory had a demo ride event at a dealer within walking distance from my house. I took a ride on the Cross Country. I loved how comfortable that bike was. The weight didn't bother me as much as I expected. The power wasn't that great, but there was no unpleasant vibration at cruising speed. The clutch pull was heavy compared to all the other bikes I took for test rides. The biggest disappointment was the way the front wheel felt completely disconnected from the handlebars. I suppose there is a chance the problem was caused by an under-inflated front tire. Because I found that bike so comfortable, there's a slight chance I'll try it again. If I do, I'll check the tire pressure before the test ride.

Honda CTX 1300 - The dealer didn't have a F6B available, so I decided to try the CTX 1300. Boring, boring, boring. I nearly fell asleep and crashed. Lack of power was a deal killer. I hit the rev limiter several times in a vain attempt to make the bike interesting. The front end also seemed numb like the Cross Country.

Honda Goldwing - As I was returning to the dealer, someone else come back from a Goldwing test ride. It was a crusty used 1800 with 80,000 miles. I figure if I like this thing, I'm going to love the F6B. Other than feeling slightly cramped, I was blown away by how much I liked it. I had to find an F6B to ride.

Honda F6B - A day or two after the Goldwing ride, I found a dealer with a demo F6B. The different seat made it feel more spacious than the full Goldwing. All that up high weight chopped off payed off in power and handling. In fact, handling and power seem almost as good as my FJR, but it is much smoother and more comfortable.

I'm not going to buy until next year, but I'm not sure if there is any point in trying out any other bikes. Although, I might try out a Valkyrie if the aftermarket comes out with the right accessories.

Let's hear your stories about bikes that lost out to the F6B!

bobbyf6b
08-03-2014, 12:26 AM
I wanted a fixed fairing.

Road Glide
Victory Vision
Goldwing

I've ridden all three but never imagined owning a Wing until the F6B. Full fairing with leg protection, water cooled engine and then the looks of no trunk sealed the deal for me. I bought it without even test riding it. I traded a Street Glide in on it and I have no regrets. Nothing compares to the smoothness and power on demand of the F6B. I even enjoy the stealthiness of the stock exhaust. The only downfall is the missing cruise control but it doesn't bother me.

Jimmytee
08-03-2014, 05:22 AM
I have and will still have my Valkyrie. However, I had been on the prowl for a new bike. Who isn't? Whether seriously looking or not.:icon_mrgreen:
On my short list for serious contention were
F6B
New 2014 Valkyrie
Victory Cross Country
BMW 1600
Rocket III

The Cross Countrys are comfortable, but I've read of some issues, and as a long time Valk rider, I just could never get past the idea of riding a V-twin.

I test rode a new Valk and I loved it. However, my 2000 Valkyrie is decked out with a Woody's audio batwing and many other features. I knew I'd miss having the audio.Plus, even though Corbin is reportedly designing some hard bags for the new Valk, there is no timeline and they are sure to not be cheap.

The BMW, it's a nice bike with lots of power, but the styling has never quite been my cup of tea. Plus they're not cheap.

The Rocket III, big and lots of power. They've had issues, that may have been worked out, but it is a beast of a machine. The exhaust note isn't that good.

I love the flat six motor. In the end, it was the logical choice for me. Very happy. The F6B feels like a sport bike compared to my Valkyrie.:yes:

Darkknight
08-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Before I pulled the trigger on the F6B, I wanted to look around and make sure I wasn't just reacting to this new wing look. As a "Sanity Check" I looked at the k1600GTL BMW and the Cross Country Tour Victory.

The BMW had crazy horsepower, something like 160HP. I had seen a picture of one standing on it's rear wheel and thought "now that is sexy"!:headbang: The technology on the BMW looked first rate. The BMWs I had driven were wonderful. great brakes, superb handling and fast. The seat height was not a problem for me.
What stopped me was the lack of a dealer network in my area and lets face it, I want to travel. If there was a problem I want a dealer close by, not "just one" in my state. The warranty was OK but the price of repairs was very high according to friends who owned them.

The Victory had more dealers in our state so I looked at them. The Vision was too "sweepy" and sort of futuristic. If I don't like the looks, it won't last long no matter how it performs. Now, the Cross Country Tour was more to my taste. A friend had a black one and it was sweet! Unfortunately, he had an engine problem and the customer service at that dealership was lacking. There was a 2 month down time until they could repair it. He traded it for a HD.:icon_frown: Still, they were in the running. I could always go to another dealer. The final straw was that my "Sweetie" thought the feel of the throne was only "OK". She was not a fan of "climbing through" to sit down.

So in the end, the factors that led me to the Honda F6B were:
Vast dealer network throughout the USA,
Proven drive train, great smooth power and great warranty,
The looks of my Black F6B, grabbed me by the shoulders, slapped me around and shook me. The only thing I could say was WOW!
And last but certainly not least, was that my "Sweetie" liked the feel of the F6B better. It was easier to get on instead of stepping through, and the seat was comfy. She does't sit back much, so the throne was not important. She likes to snuggle up most of the time.:clap2:

So far, there hasn't been anything I've seen or heard that leads me to believe my decision would be any different if I was making this decision again today, (16 months and 11000 miles later).:yes:

ED209
08-03-2014, 06:16 AM
At 54 years old and making my final decision (on a street bike), after careful deliberation, the F6B won hands down.

But..... others considered for speed and longevity (no want V-twins) water cooled and powerfull,

2014 Valkyrie with Corbin bags (when made)
2013 Hayabusa with Corbin bags
2013 Triumph Rocket Roadster with soft bags
2013 Yamaha V-MAX

DaWadd
08-03-2014, 08:23 AM
After riding a VT1300 for 3 years I wanted more of a touring bike since I just retired. Victory had their Demo days in June so off I went to ride a Cross Country and a Vision. Can't put my finger on it but was not really impressed. Both were comfortable though. Following week Honda had test rides. Rode the Valk and was impressed but no windshield or bags. CTX 1300 was fun but hated the mirrors. Goldwing was very nice but found it slightly cramped. Took out the F6B and that was it. Very happy with my choice.

Kurare79
08-03-2014, 08:26 AM
The first bikes i wanted to have were the

HONDA Crosstourer VFR1200X with DCT
http://autodriving.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/HondaCrosstourerBikeroutescozaSouthAfrica03.jpg

KTM Adventure 1190 with 150 HP!
http://www.motorradreisefuehrer.de/tl_files/picts/News/Motorraeder/KTM/KTM-1190-Adventure.jpg

and at last:

The new BMW GS 1200
http://www.tourenfahrer.de/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/die-neue-bmw_r1200gs06.jpg

Then i asked myself, what kind of driver am i?

Do ever hit the roads in Africa? No!
Are we allowed to drive through the forests in Germany? No!
Do i want to use a ladder to sit on the bike? No!

Why the hell should i drive that kind of bike, when i am 99.8% on paved streets? I need something comfortable like a cruiser with a very smooth engine and also be able to easily take the Queen/Wife with me and be sure that she is satisfied (you all know that thing: it can be a brillant day and everything is wonderful, but if the Queen is unhappy on her back seat, life can be pretty !"§$%!!!).

There she is: My 2nd love (after my wife and doggie). "The Fat Berta"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/305572/IMG_1317.JPG

bigbird
08-03-2014, 09:32 AM
I have tested, in no particular order:

HD Ultra Classic Ltd: I can't stand any transmission that clunks when shifted into first gear, way too much engine heat

Yamaha Warrior: crazy power, too raked out for me, horrible low speed manoeuvring with that 21 inch front wheel

Honda Gold Wing: driver seat too cramped, otherwise what a luxo tourer

F6B: perfect

Valk: seat felt like concrete, poor accommodation for passenger

Victory Cross Country: not as refined as any Honda, but better than HD

Ericb445
08-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I traded my 2011 Kawasaki Vaquero in for the F6b, I really wanted to test a Ducati Diavel but couldn't find a dealer that was interested in my trade in and no demos in my area.
Came off a Yamaha Stratoliner with 45 k on the clock before the Vaquero.

bobbyf6b
08-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Well said Kurare79! :biggthumpup:

XKnight
08-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I was interested in the new Indian Chieftain, but ultimately decided I wanted a full fairing. The extra power and great handling of the F6B was the icing on the cake. I'm still getting the seating position just right, but with the Mustang seat I'm almost there. Once I install the handlebar risers I think I'll be all set. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years and this one is definitely the best so far.

Kurare79
08-03-2014, 12:52 PM
@BobbyF6B: Cheers, mate! http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Trinken/smilie_trink_005.gif

opas ride
08-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Came off a Victory Vision Tour. Prior to that a Victory Kingpin Tour..Both great bikes but always wanted to go back to the old Valkyrie days when I rode a 99 Tourer for 6 years...Goldwing's and BMW's both nice rides and I enjoyed them both, but the F6B fits me perfect with the lower Mustang seat and lighter weight..Cobra pipes, Baggershield windscreen, Kury grips and a few other goodies and I am all set for now and the future...Also had a VTX1800F which was nice but no bags or windshield and decided I wanted them....Love my F6B...Never considered HD as I just don't want or need to be one the "boys"..Their bikes all look alike and sound alike....Not for me

six2go
08-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Bikes that I considered were:

Dave Ritsema's Valkyrie Interstate. This was one beautiful Valk with only 23,000 miles on it compared to my Standard with 102,000. I was surprised at how top heavy it felt to me. The weight of the fairing & trunk really add up, and the extra weight is up high.

Victory Cross Country. Really liked this one but it was just too "stretched out" for me. I don't care for forward controls at all, and the gauges were in another zip code.

Indian Vintage. Dealer network is too small at this time.

BMW R1200R. I have lusted over this bike for several years, but like Indian, there just aren't enough dealers and I think the number is shrinking.

The only one I actually test rode was the Victory Cross Country. If I was a larger person(height wise) I would have bought one instantly. I really liked it. Engine type and configuration doesn't bother me at all. If it runs good and doesn't put my hands to sleep with vibes, it's good enough for me.

So, I ended up with the F6B. Still getting used to it and not 100% convinced that I made the right choice but I'll live with it for a while & see how things shake out. I got rid of a 650 V-Strom at the same time as the Valkyrie in order to get the F6 and I miss the Suzuki more than the Valk. Time will tell.

opas ride
08-03-2014, 03:56 PM
I posted earlier,but thought I would relate some other info/opinions....Having been a member of the Wolverine Victory Riders Club in Michigan, I have attended and helped out the dealer on several Demo-days rides...I have ridden, at some point and time, every model that Victory and Indian currently make... For what it is worth they are all decent bikes and have it all over similar HD models in my judgment...I personally like the new Indian Chieftain with the fairing and adjustable shield the best of all..The Cross bikes are also very nice bikes and perform very well...The Vision is the cream of the crop, so to speak, if touring and great wind protection is your bag...All the Vic's and Indian's are faster and smoother than HD's and handle much better for me....In the end I would not hesitate to buy one if the opportunity ever presents itself again after owning two different models...But, in the end none of them come close to the power, smoothness, handling, comfort and reliability of the Honda F6B......

CheckpointChcky
08-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe
HD Road King Classic
Kawasaki Voyager
Victory Cross Country
Indian bagger.

Fla_rider
08-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Funny, in 2013 I wanted a bike sat on a F6B. Figured it was too big and I was too young to ride a Goldwing (55). So I bought a NC700X. I still have it and it is great around town, at 78 miles per gallon I can't complain. It's up for sale cuz all I want to ride is the 6 Baby!

F6B1911
08-03-2014, 07:05 PM
F6B in Red
F6B in Yellow
F6B in Black

I went with the faster of the three, the black one.
I had an older BMW, it way past time for an upgrade, but once I saw the F6B, nothing else was was even close.

powercruzer13
08-03-2014, 07:37 PM
As a long time Valkyrie rider it was more a matter of waiting for Honda to come out with an updated Valkyrie or something flat 6 powered with less doo-dads than the GoldWing. Saw the F6B when it first came out but was put off by the fixed fairing, I didn't think I would like it. Heard through the grapevine {OK, internet} that there was going to be another flat 6 powered bike coming from Honda so I waited. Then came the new Valkyrie. YUUCK. Bought the F6B & quickly learned that I was wrong about the fixed fairing. Sometimes it's good to be wrong! :icon_twisted:
Most of the thought processes & bike test riding was done long before I pulled the trigger on the F6B. I tried out friends bikes which include several "big" Harley models which all felt like underpowered mini-bikes compared to the Valkyrie & handled like dump trucks. Tried a bunch of Japanese Big 4 Harley clones {VTX, Vulcan, Boulevards, etc.} that compared favorably to the HDs but paled in comparison to the Valkyrie. I did pull the trigger on a decked out for touring Rocket 3 which I had for almost two years before I sold it to buy the wife her own Valkyrie.
The Rocket was a blast to ride but the odd 3 banger vibration & not to my liking ergonomics were a deal breaker on our long trips. Didn't trust the damn thing either, had too many problems early on.
Wife's Valkyrie.

Bottom line for me is the Flat 6 engine. The engine is the heart of any street bike & IMHO there is none better than the Honda flat 6.:yes:

BTW, the wife's 1998 Valkyrie pictured is for sale. 33,000 miles super nice!

darcym
08-04-2014, 07:32 PM
My purchase of the F6B was somewhat of an impulse buy. It was because I wasn't planning on buying a new bike for six months or more. It wasn't because I'd been eyeing the F6B since it came out and reading all the reviews and lusting after pics on the internet, and occasionally glancing at models for sale on e-bay. When a nice used one crossed paths with me, I just had to have it.

However, I've wanted to have a Goldwing for as long as I have been riding motorcycles. Almost pulled the trigger on a Silverwing (remember those?) back in the mid-eighties, but got married instead (that was a poor tradeoff). I've always been attracted to quirky motorcycles, standards, and such. And I always thought that the Goldwing was too big and out of my price range. 20 years later I finally sit on a full size Goldwing and I'm blown away by how light and low it feels. I start to reassess. At the time I was riding a BMW R1150R. Later on impulse again I traded up to a BMW R1200RT. That bike was too tall and too top heavy, although a great tourer and smooth and fast. But BMW's aren't just expensive to buy, they're pricey to fix, too. The R1150R lent itself more to DIY than the bigger tourer, which would have been fine if I could drop it off at the dealer for every little thing.

SO these bikes were ones I've had my eye on:

BMW R1200GS and Yamaha Super Tenere: both are as cool as they come, but both are way too tall for me, and like someone posted before, when am I going to ride across Africa? Truth is, riding one of these monsters on dirt trails would scare the piss outta me. But I understand the allure of riding down the highway on a bike that you could turn off onto some unknown back road or back woods without a second thought.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/YamahaSuperTenere_zpsfaf80c9e.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/YamahaSuperTenere_zpsfaf80c9e.jpg.html)

Ducati Monster: swoon. Gotta love that Italian red. In the end, it's all about the romance, and there is very little practical use to owning it.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/monster-1200s_zps58425829.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/monster-1200s_zps58425829.jpg.html)

BMW K1600GT or GTL: so much technology, so much power, but same problem as before. Expensive to buy, expensive to fix. And BMW owners tend to hold onto these bikes. Used ones do not come up for sale very often. And it is also on the tall side.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/BMWK1600GTsporttourer2014_zps5a154cf4.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/BMWK1600GTsporttourer2014_zps5a154cf4.jpg.html)

BMW R1200R: great bike, not so tall as the others. Very easy to work on and lots of ways to add to it. But like previous experience with the R1150R, I was trying to make it into a touring bike, but it would never be as good at touring as a bike built for touring.

I also kinda liked the Moto Guzzi California 1400. But I think it's a little too quirky for me. Hard to find a moto guzzi dealer, too.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/EwanMcGregorMotoGuzziCalifornia1400_zps6f57ac7e.jp g (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/EwanMcGregorMotoGuzziCalifornia1400_zps6f57ac7e.jp g.html)

None of the "cruiser" bikes have ever appealed to me. I don't think of the F6B as a cruiser, it doesn't sit like a cruiser. It has a cruiser kind of look, I guess. It feels more like a standard to me when I sit on it. But it has the wind protect and storage ability of a touring bike. But it's not too big, and since I never ride with a passenger, I don't really need the accommodations of the big Wing. With the addition of the FB6, I'm feeling like I have a cruiser and a touring bike as well.

Owning a V-twin was never a priority. Give me a modern engine (although I do like the looks of the new Indian Scout). It's never been about the "sound" for me. It's about what the bike can do.

I'd still like to add an inline four cylinder bike to the stable. Just cuz. And maybe a triple, just to be complete.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/HondaCB650F2014_zps6b356d2a.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/HondaCB650F2014_zps6b356d2a.jpg.html)
:icon_razz:

Stick
08-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda 1300 Tourer
Yamaha 1300 Deluxe
BMW 1600
BMW Gt 1200
Indian Chieftan
and then finally and reluctantly, the F6B. Had been ignoring it because of the lack of cruise and ABS. But once in the saddle, immediately knew! Love the bike!

er.medic
08-11-2014, 01:40 PM
I almost bought a Stratoliner instead. I love the look of that bike.

SCMike
08-11-2014, 07:44 PM
I considered the CTX1300 and the BMW K1600GTL. I found a used K1600GTL with about 16k miles that would have been just a little more than the new F6B, but I really didn't like the riding position as well. Once I test drove the F6B, it was just a matter of writing the check and signing the paperwork.

CheesyRider
09-22-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking about taking a test ride on a Triumph Trophy. Did anyone here ride one before settling on the F6B?

I'm not really sure why I might bother with a test ride. Even in the unlikely event I like it better than the F6B, I don't think I'd want to take a chance on the Triumph's reliability.

Injun Joe
09-22-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking about taking a test ride on a Triumph Trophy. Did anyone here ride one before settling on the F6B?

I'm not really sure why I might bother with a test ride. Even in the unlikely event I like it better than the F6B, I don't think I'd want to take a chance on the Triumph's reliability.

I owned one a couple bikes back. Mine was a 2004 I think so there might be significant changes that I'm unaware of. But I liked mine. Mostly it was a matter of wrong place at the wrong time sort of thing. Had I been younger and lighter, I'd have been quite happy. As it was I felt self-conscious -- it was just too "sporty." More tangible shortcomings were rider position which shades towards sport as compared to the F6B, so I felt it in my hands, wrists, and back. Also, it's a pretty top heavy bike and would bring you to tears in a cross wind. Bottom line is it was fun, but no way it could be a sole motorcycle for me at the time it came along.

motoman
09-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I almost bought a Stratoliner instead. I love the look of that bike.

I have a Stratoliner, and yes it is a very nice bike. HOWEVER, in order to unlock it's full potential of 113ci, (which is 100 more cc than the F6B), you have to spend some time and $$$:

1. Open up the choked off Intake. Either cut open the air box, or install a 'Big Air' kit, basically 2 K&N filters.
2. And now you need better fueling of course, so a PowerCommander V, and preferably with Auto-Tune module. ($$$!)
3. Then you need a bigger exhaust, and get rid of the EX-UP, which can only lead to problems.
4. Last but most important, stock suspension sucks and the bike drags parts everywhere. So you need a rear shock upgrade, and Fork Springs, both available from Progressive. Getting to the rear shock is no picnic either. :shock:

Add to that the puny tank which only holds about 4 gals, and cuts your range to about 150 miles. 1st Gen saddlebags are flimsy and leak. Oil change requires removing 3 separate drain bolts. :shrug:

Yes, it's a lovely bike, and yes I did all of those things, not sure I would do it over again. :icon_wink: I do enjoy stretching out on those great floorboards though.

So it really makes you appreciate the F6B, which you can ride out of the Dealer and basically needs NOTHING. :icon_mrgreen:

dickiedeals
09-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Mt.Rushmore Harley Ultra Classic, Test Rode the top of the Line Goldwing but hated the riding position. Guess I'll never own one if they don't correct the sitting on the tank riding position......Like Goldie Locks The F6B is just right- after $2000 in accessories to make it more Harley Like only better!..............lol..........Dickie

CheesyRider
09-22-2014, 01:07 PM
I owned one a couple bikes back. Mine was a 2004 I think so there might be significant changes that I'm unaware of.
The new one came out in 2013 and is a completely different design.
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/trophy/2014/trophy-se
http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/large/Triumph-Trophy-3.jpg
The things that appeal to me are the upright ergos (I think it's the only "sport touring" bike with no forward lean), the motorized windshield, and ABS. But, I can always add the Ergomot to the F6B and I've never once in 25 years of riding been in a situation where ABS would have saved me. I've never even had a situation on bikes with ABS where it kicked in unless I was intentionally making it happen. I think I've already talked myself out of it. Unless something really compelling comes along before I have the funds available, I don't think I'll bother test riding any other bikes.

racer
09-22-2014, 02:45 PM
The victory hardball and the triumph rocket 3.

leroysch
09-22-2014, 09:01 PM
BMW R1200RT and HD Road Glide

bigbird
09-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Triumph Commander LT and Rocket III Roadster

Injun Joe
09-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Guess I never answered:

Indian Vintage/Chieftain
Victory Vision
Yamaha Stratoliner
Triumph Rocket III Touring

austin_tech
09-23-2014, 08:41 AM
if the Queen is unhappy on her back seat, life can be pretty !"§$%!!!).

Wir haben ein Sprichwort in Amerika: ". Glückliche Frau, glückliches Leben!":icon_biggrin:

FF-Ed
09-23-2014, 08:57 AM
stopped at mountain motorsports, just above the dragon.. North of gatlinburg... to check out the blacked out BOSS, saw a F6B
WOW ! now that is one sharp bike... Couldn't make the deal I wanted that day, rode home to Ohio, went to my local dealer the next morning... Let's deal...

Random Factor
09-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Had a 2010 Honda VFR1200. Great Bike but after a few hours perched on it like a gargoyle, it was really uncomfortable. Plus it made me an aggressive and rude rider. It was not happy going slow and my 30 mile round trip commute was getting more and more reckless. That bike would completely support and encourage you in any stupid move you wanted to make in traffic.

I had a 2003 Yamaha Warrior 1600 before that so I was ok with a V-Twin. I was about to go look at the Victory Cross Country. Having turned 50, a little luxury was in order and I could never be cool enough to ride a HD.

I was in the Honda Service Dept getting some new tires as the VFR was hungry for them and mentioned I might trade it in. When I told them I was checking out a Victory bagger, they asked if I had checked out a Goldwing. I honestly laughed and said I wasn't that old yet.

Later that evening, I did check out the Honda website. :icon_biggrin:

Traded the VFR in on the 2013 Red F6B a week later....
Didn't even have to change the color of my riding gear.

XKnight
09-23-2014, 07:13 PM
I keep reading the title of this thread and keep thinking I didn't settle on the F6B. I got it because I wanted it and it was the best bike of all the ones I considered.

53driver
09-23-2014, 07:55 PM
I keep reading the title of this thread and keep thinking I didn't settle on the F6B. I got it because I wanted it and it was the best bike of all the ones I considered.

I didn't "settle" either. I wanted this girl from the moment we met.
Cheers,
Steve

MarcPW
09-23-2014, 11:07 PM
I was keen to go back to a GoldWing, this was my previous motorcycle and I was not going to change for anything else. But then... That beauty came along.

zorro07
03-23-2015, 11:10 AM
So far I tried :

HD street glide (old 1450 model)
BMW R1200RT
BMW R1200 GS
BMW K1600 GTL
And recently the Victory Cross country.

The HD is a great bike, but for cruising only.... (I had a Dyna before...I know HD quite well)
BMW RT, don't like the engine, but the bike is very comfortable, easy to ride, very versatile (town, road, highway, mountain road roads...).
K1600 engine is just amazing....maybe too much ! It's clearly more a sport bike than a road bike. I love it ! But I want you keep my driving licence.... :-)
Victory Cross country is better in all than HD : except engine feeling....in fact I was disillusioned when riding it.

Now I'm going to try a Ducati Diavel !!!
I also rode the Ducati Multistrada, the engine is amazing !! I just hated the drive position, that's why I'm going to try the Diavel.

I'm thinking of changing my F6B in fact...

Tedubya
03-23-2015, 11:26 AM
And this is why I traded my Roadliner in on the F6b.
Was in the process of doing all that and more.
Fairing, hard bags, audio, raider wheels and more.
Went to the dealer to order some parts and saw a used F6B and bought it that day.
Best decission I've ever made, bikewise that is.

lloydmoore1
03-23-2015, 11:38 AM
Kawasaki voyager
BMW 1600
Victory xcountry tour

Got the F6B because of the engine and the fun ride. I like to ride hard and I really was impressed with the power and handling of this bike.

terrydj
03-23-2015, 01:36 PM
No others
Been on me old ST1100 for years and done a few hundred thou on it and just thought I'd upgrade.
So read up on the F6B
Seen one with a heap of extras on it for sale
Made the phone call
jumped on a plane
Picked it up
Rode it Home
900 Kays
11 Hrs
Everything better than perfect
Its not for show
Riding to Macca's for a Latte
Or seeing how much money I can spend on it
Its me transport :icon_cool:

53driver
03-23-2015, 02:00 PM
I wasn't looking. She found me.

Old Ryder
03-24-2015, 06:52 AM
After doing HD and Victory for years, I just wanted OUT of the VTwin environment and step back to when a motorcycle was just a motorcycle--something you ride for fun and you spend more time riding than you do washing and polishing chrome. In bikes I always buy USED with about 1-3K for the best bang for the buck. Yama FJR and Suzuki V Strom were looking good and so were some V Rods-Night Rod especially as the 07 models and older were affordable--And yes I did say VRod. No I don't consider it a Harley. I had seen the F6B, but they were not on the market long enough to be affordable, and then I saw one advertised for $12,999. So I did what any bike guy would do-- I started lying and promising my wife ANYTHING if I can just get this bike! I said "Hey, look, it is really cheaper than that because I don't have to spend any money on it like the Harleys and Victorys-- it comes complete"!

I installed my Mustang tuck and roll last Friday. (Thanks to Rick at Value) My Rocky's Risers work great as does the SoCal lights and Saddleman liners, ERGO III, Kury Mini boards, J&M speakers, Baggershield and LEDs everywhere. And my SuperBrace is supposed to be delivered today. :icon_redface: It is a sickness.

opas ride
03-24-2015, 01:43 PM
After doing HD and Victory for years, I just wanted OUT of the VTwin environment and step back to when a motorcycle was just a motorcycle--something you ride for fun and you spend more time riding than you do washing and polishing chrome. In bikes I always buy USED with about 1-3K for the best bang for the buck. Yama FJR and Suzuki V Strom were looking good and so were some V Rods-Night Rod especially as the 07 models and older were affordable--And yes I did say VRod. No I don't consider it a Harley. I had seen the F6B, but they were not on the market long enough to be affordable, and then I saw one advertised for $12,999. So I did what any bike guy would do-- I started lying and promising my wife ANYTHING if I can just get this bike! I said "Hey, look, it is really cheaper than that because I don't have to spend any money on it like the Harleys and Victorys-- it comes complete"!

I installed my Mustang tuck and roll last Friday. (Thanks to Rick at Value) My Rocky's Risers work great as does the SoCal lights and Saddleman liners, ERGO III, Kury Mini boards, J&M speakers, Baggershield and LEDs everywhere. And my SuperBrace is supposed to be delivered today. :icon_redface: It is a sickness.
Comes "complete" with a costly bunch of aftermarket accessories would have been a more truthful answer to your wife!!!...I tried to get away with the same thing and now she watches me like a "hawk"....Ride safe

luisjromero
03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
T new HD Road Glide

mike2000t
03-24-2015, 07:41 PM
I fell in love with the F6B at first sight. Briefly thought about the Victory Cross Country and the Statoliner. The 6 was just right for me. Plus the reliability of Honda was a big factor.

Tbone56
03-24-2015, 08:00 PM
1998 Kannon V8 Bobber12621

bobbyf6b
03-25-2015, 12:24 AM
1998 Kannon V8 Bobber12621

I remember those! I got to ride one back then. I also rode the V6 version, along with a few Boss Hoss's as well. Love em!

valkmc
03-25-2015, 01:47 PM
I wasn't looking. She found me.

Same with me. I was happy with my 12 wing. I went into the local dealer to pick up a part for the 82 CB750F I was working on and left without the Wing on a left over 13 F6. Oh I also got the part I was after. Good thing my wife is OK with bikes!!!

racer
03-26-2015, 01:48 PM
The victory hardball and the triumph rocket 3.

I didn't settle either. I picked the F6B over these.

USMARINE
03-26-2015, 01:55 PM
2015 HD Road Glide Special
2015 Ducati Diavel

sshake1905
03-26-2015, 03:09 PM
I had just turned 52K on my 2007 VTX 1300 in July....retired and looking for something like a longer range bagger.....and got wind of the July Honda promo for $ 1,000 in free accessories.....

Had already narrowed the field down to bikes with:yes: 1) liquid cooled engine, :yes:2) fuel injection and:yes: either shaft or belt drive.....and most important, a seat height under 29 inches.:icon_biggrin:..as I am "inseam challenged" with a 29" inseam.....:yikes:

Needless to say, with that criteria, the choices were few....:shrug:

I won't own another Harley until they make one that is totally liquid cooled, but Harleys have always been a good fit for short legs..The VTX 1300 was perfect fit, but they stopped production in 2010 and the new VT1300 line had too much front end rake for me...:no:..The Star 1300 Deluxe was first one I rode...not a bad scooter, but still a 1300, like I had....:shrug:

Then I was fortunate to get a chance to ride a F6B 2013 demo in July 2014....holy moley...:clap2:

Kept the VTX 1300 and bought the left over 2013 F6B standard "fast" black and put on the tall w/s, the center stand, the passenger backrest and mount and Honda F6B full cover....now I'm a happy camper....:icon_biggrin: