PDA

View Full Version : New Indian Scout. Pretty cool

Jimmytee
08-03-2014, 06:34 AM
http://http://www.baggersmag.com/bagger-motorcycles/return-indian-scout?src=SOC&dom=fb (http://www.baggersmag.com/bagger-motorcycles/return-indian-scout?src=SOC&dom=fb")

At a reported 558 lbs wet, 100 HP 69 cubic inch water cooled V-twin a seat height of 25" and a base price of $10999 , it looks pretty promising.:clap2:

ED209
08-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Looks like Harley just lost the Vtwin race with their Vrod. ut-oh ... :shhh:

With a 200lbs rider this Indian is calculated to cut 11.4 seconds 1/4 mile. Look out Vrod

DaWadd
08-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Nice looking bike for its price.

hoglaw
08-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Huge mufflers with a little bike attached. No thanks.

Scotrod
08-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not in any way a Polaris advocate. The following comments reflect that. You have been warned.

I still can't quite figure out why Polaris decided they needed Indian to do 'all this' (?!?) instead of Victory, or why they even bother.

Quote: •Out of respect for the legendary Scouts of the 1920s, 30s and 40s, the 2015 Scout carries forward classic engine design cues with purposeful styling that honors both form and function

Do people really thing the Indian design, Indian 'heritage', blah blah blah, that was dead and gone before most of us were born (and coincidentally has nothing to do w/Polaris) is something that swoons us in our purchasing decisions today? I sure as hell don't want anything that resembles, in any form, a 75 - 95 yr old 'whatever',,, Geez, let me blow the dust off the old Encyclopedia Britannica's here to figure out just WTH they are talkin about, and then determine why I should even care today, or if it truly even exists at Polaris. :shrug:

Or is it simply to put 'something else' in the market that buyers can consider? (But the same buyers wouldn't consider it if it said Victory on the side?)

As far as the Scout itself,,, :shrug: 1130 cc DOHC twin, Water cooled,,,100 HP, 79 ft lbs @ ~6k~,,, 558 wet,, Not bad,,,, the powerband numbers suggest it's not your 'typical' V-twin torq mill, perhaps sharing a powerband 'feel' similar to a 'sport-touring' mill,,, or a smaller V-rod mill (122 HP / 86 TQ, 1247 cc)

Beginning at $11k, the price point is sim to a 1200 Sportster (73.4 cu in, 70.8 ft lbs, 562 wet)

So, it looks like the water-cooled DOHC Vindian 'beat's an air-cooled Harley' in power/performance.

Haven't Metrics been doing this for decades already? :shrug:

(yeah, I know,,, "But they are not an INDIAN!!" :jerkit: )

Jimmytee
08-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not in any way a Polaris advocate. The following comments reflect that. You have been warned.

I still can't quite figure out why Polaris decided they needed Indian to do 'all this' (?!?) instead of Victory, or why they even bother.

Quote: •Out of respect for the legendary Scouts of the 1920s, 30s and 40s, the 2015 Scout carries forward classic engine design cues with purposeful styling that honors both form and function

Do people really thing the Indian design, Indian 'heritage', blah blah blah, that was dead and gone before most of us were born (and coincidentally has nothing to do w/Polaris) is something that swoons us in our purchasing decisions today? I sure as hell don't want anything that resembles, in any form, a 75 - 95 yr old 'whatever',,, Geez, let me blow the dust off the old Encyclopedia Britannica's here to figure out just WTH they are talkin about, and then determine why I should even care today, or if it truly even exists at Polaris. :shrug:

Or is it simply to put 'something else' in the market that buyers can consider? (But the same buyers wouldn't consider it if it said Victory on the side?)

As far as the Scout itself,,, :shrug: 1130 cc DOHC twin, Water cooled,,,100 HP, 79 ft lbs @ ~6k~,,, 558 wet,, Not bad,,,, the powerband numbers suggest it's not your 'typical' V-twin torq mill, perhaps sharing a powerband 'feel' similar to a 'sport-touring' mill,,, or a smaller V-rod mill (122 HP / 86 TQ, 1247 cc)

Beginning at $11k, the price point is sim to a 1200 Sportster (73.4 cu in, 70.8 ft lbs, 562 wet)

So, it looks like the water-cooled DOHC Vindian 'beat's an air-cooled Harley' in power/performance.

Haven't Metrics been doing this for decades already? :shrug:

(yeah, I know,,, "But they are not an INDIAN!!" :jerkit: )
I like what I see. Uh,please point out me which metric cruiser V-twin has been pumping out 100 hp? Especially in the 1200 cc range.'readinstructions'
It's all a matter of choice.

GNW
08-03-2014, 10:14 AM
WOW !!
Got my PTSD going !!

bobbyf6b
08-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Here's a link to more pics.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/scout-thunder-black-smoke

I consider myself "old school" but not THAT old school. It's a great looking bike though. It's not for me, but I'm sure they will sell a bunch.

Speaking of American vs. Metric, everywhere I look Victory is lumped in with "metric". Why is that? Somebody else worried about competition? :shrug:

bobbyf6b
08-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Uh oh, major blunder in my book. Look at the shocks from the rear. They're offset from each other. Suzuki did the same thing on the Savage and to me it's hideous.

Why don't engineers and designers catch this crap? That kind of stuff drives me bonkers. :icon_doh:

7330 7331

chipmaker
08-03-2014, 10:57 AM
I like it. And Vic/Indian discounts everything, so the price is great. Better than HDs little watercooled bikes. Damn I need a v-twin...

XKnight
08-03-2014, 11:21 AM
I love the looks and the specs. Might end up selling my 1200 Sporty and getting one of these. The performance numbers are killer for a cruiser.

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/2015-Indian-Scout-colors.jpg

Scotrod
08-03-2014, 11:56 AM
. Uh,please point out me which metric cruiser V-twin has been pumping out 100 hp? Especially in the 1200 cc range..

100 hp Metric twins were common at the turn of the century. Virtually all engines have increased HP with lower displacement since then.

Surely you understand that today a 100hp / 70 TQ / 1200 cc twin isn't new or exceptional by any means?

Granted, this isn't a 'cruiser', nor is it 11k, but it does have 1200cc / 2 cylinders, if that's the rules we need to follow,,, :http://www.ducati.com/bikes/monster/1200_s/tech_spec.do

This ones a little closer to the HP/TQ of the Scout: (but it's only 821 cc / 386 lbs) http://www.ducati.com/bikes/hypermotard/hypermotard/tech_spec.do

Here's an 1170 twin. Kinda more like a street cruiser, maybe? 110 Hp / 88 ft/lb,/489 lbs, but not a V-twin, and not as 'inexpensive' as the Indy: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bike/model_overview.html

IMHO, the new Injun is a 'simplified/detuned' V-twin version of 2 cylinder engines that exist today,,, primarily a DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder short(er) stroke 1200, with a cam profile closer to a sport bike than the stereotypical V-twin low rpm cruiser. Thats why you see the numbers / rpms advertised.

Is it 'different'? Maybe in its own way, but at the end of the day, ya still got to ask yourself,,, do ya REALLY want a VINDIAN that bad??? :shrug:

bobbyf6b
08-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Well a bonus is the rear signals are already to the rear and the fender is ready for bags so that will disguise the snafu shocks.

F6BPDX
08-03-2014, 01:17 PM
That thing is begging to be bobbed. It's weird to me to say that the worst part of something made by Indian is the fenders since I love the ones on the chief, but for the Scout yank off both fenders and this bike would look killer.

Jimmytee
08-03-2014, 03:28 PM
100 hp Metric twins were common at the turn of the century. Virtually all engines have increased HP with lower displacement since then.

Surely you understand that today a 100hp / 70 TQ / 1200 cc twin isn't new or exceptional by any means?

Granted, this isn't a 'cruiser', nor is it 11k, but it does have 1200cc / 2 cylinders, if that's the rules we need to follow,,, :http://www.ducati.com/bikes/monster/1200_s/tech_spec.do

This ones a little closer to the HP/TQ of the Scout: (but it's only 821 cc / 386 lbs) http://www.ducati.com/bikes/hypermotard/hypermotard/tech_spec.do

Here's an 1170 twin. Kinda more like a street cruiser, maybe? 110 Hp / 88 ft/lb,/489 lbs, but not a V-twin, and not as 'inexpensive' as the Indy: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bike/model_overview.html

IMHO, the new Injun is a 'simplified/detuned' V-twin version of 2 cylinder engines that exist today,,, primarily a DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder short(er) stroke 1200, with a cam profile closer to a sport bike than the stereotypical V-twin low rpm cruiser. Thats why you see the numbers / rpms advertised.

Is it 'different'? Maybe in its own way, but at the end of the day, ya still got to ask yourself,,, do ya REALLY want a VINDIAN that bad??? :shrug:
Can you say "FAIL"
I'm still waiting you said yourself the example you're giving is mot a cruiser. I know about the Ducati sport bikes. You're comparing apples and oranges. Your first example isn't even a V-twin. It's a L-Twin.:icon_doh: None of the examples you give are of "Cruisers" You're the one who poo pooed the Indian claiming it was nothing extra ordinary. Giving as part of the basis for your opinion that metrics have been doing this for a decade already. I simply asked you specifically what metric V-twin cruisers ? You give me Ducatis and BMWs that don't fit the question.:spank:

Scotrod
08-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Can you say "FAIL"
I'm still waiting you said yourself the example you're giving is mot a cruiser. I know about the Ducati sport bikes. You're comparing apples and oranges. Your first example isn't even a V-twin. It's a L-Twin.:icon_doh: None of the examples you give are of "Cruisers" You're the one who poo pooed the Indian claiming it was nothing extra ordinary. Giving as part of the basis for your opinion that metrics have been doing this for a decade already. I simply asked you specifically what metric V-twin cruisers ? You give me Ducatis and BMWs that don't fit the question.:spank:

Here comes the pizzen contest about who said what,, You really need to read everything I post very closely,,,

I never said that metric V twins with 1200 cc have been making 100 HP for decades, yet you seem to imply that's exactly what I said and asked for "examples".

So, under the assumption you still thought 100 HP from 2 - 600 cc cylinders was something 'unusual', eh, well, I guess you just didn't like my examples. :shrug:

That little Injun has to spin up to 8100 rpm to make the advertised 100 hp at the crank. So in that regard, it's power-plant is a whole lot closer to the examples I posted than whatever it is you are comparing it to?????

Cylinder configuration, be it I, V, opposed, parallel, whatever,,,, this 1200 cc 'twin' makes 'average' power for 'what it is'.

The 6 would be quite the beast if it had DOHC's, 24 valves, short runner intakes, ~sport~-orientated cams, and spool up to about 9 grand. Probably pass everything but a gas station, but few would be happy with it as a 'bagger/tourer'.

GNW
08-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Just say'in, I got to set this one out !!
New hitch, new belly pan and I'm pretty happy !!

GNW
08-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Back in 1980 I went thru Gallup, NM and saw an Indian girl that it took me months to quit thinking about, but that was so long ago. What am I saying? Sorry !

Jimmytee
08-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Here comes the pizzen contest about who said what,, You really need to read everything I post very closely,,,

I never said that metric V twins with 1200 cc have been making 100 HP for decades, yet you seem to imply that's exactly what I said and asked for "examples".

So, under the assumption you still thought 100 HP from 2 - 600 cc cylinders was something 'unusual', eh, well, I guess you just didn't like my examples. :shrug:

That little Injun has to spin up to 8100 rpm to make the advertised 100 hp at the crank. So in that regard, it's power-plant is a whole lot closer to the examples I posted than whatever it is you are comparing it to?????

Cylinder configuration, be it I, V, opposed, parallel, whatever,,,, this 1200 cc 'twin' makes 'average' power for 'what it is'.

The 6 would be quite the beast if it had DOHC's, 24 valves, short runner intakes, ~sport~-orientated cams, and spool up to about 9 grand. Probably pass everything but a gas station, but few would be happy with it as a 'bagger/tourer'.

Indian power-plants simply aren't anything extraordinary in their performance. Unclear how you can prove otherwise.

Sorry, I guess I'm just not that easily impressed.

By all means, maybe it just what YOU needn
No :banghead: You are the one who is not reading or comprehending what you're reading. You either need to re read my original posted question to you or ask someone for help in explaining how you didn't provide an example of what I asked you. Then go ahead and re-read my response to your last post. Really???:icon_doh::spank:

ED209
08-03-2014, 07:34 PM
:shhh: guys..... listen to ED209

<object width="300" height="28" class="hark_player">
<param name="movie" value="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_fb.swf?pid=hwssxfbkqg"/>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/>
<param name="allownetworking" value="all"/>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
<embed src="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_fb.swf?pid=hwssxfbkqg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" width="300" height="28" wmode="transparent"></embed>
</object><br/>
<a href="http://www.hark.com/clips/hwssxfbkqg-robocop-ed209-comply" style="font-size: 9px; color: #ddd;" title="Listen to RoboCop - ED209 Comply on Hark.com">RoboCop - ED209 Comply</a>

Scotrod
08-03-2014, 07:51 PM
On the last forum, we just handed out blue hats!!!
There goes another one! :icon_biggrin:

ED209
08-03-2014, 07:59 PM
How bout some state of the art ASSUALT CANNONS :icon_lol:

Now Im hooked on Robobcop stuff :crackup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4OvwPxBZ0

Scotrod
08-03-2014, 09:07 PM
I LIKE IT!!!!
:icon_biggrin:

Brian D
08-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Not really digging the whole Indian look at all. Any of them

mtcgun
08-03-2014, 11:33 PM
I like what I see. Uh,please point out me which metric cruiser V-twin has been pumping out 100 hp? Especially in the 1200 cc range.'readinstructions'
It's all a matter of choice.

My 997cc Rotax v-twin is 106hp.

Jimmytee
08-04-2014, 05:27 AM
My 997cc Rotax v-twin is 106hp.

OK , and what is your 997 Rotax V-twin engine in??? A cruiser??? :banghead:

Again, Scotrod's premise was that there was nothing a little bit extra ordinary about a 69 cubic inch V-twin producing 100 HP in a cruiser, which is what the Indian is. He didn't specifically say cruiser, I did in my challenge to his......

"100 hp Metric twins were common at the turn of the century. Virtually all engines have increased HP with lower displacement since then.

Surely you understand that today a 100hp / 70 TQ / 1200 cc twin isn't new or exceptional by any means? "

You don't have to like the new Indian Scout. It's ok :icon_lol: Just think if someone is going to make comparisons, they should be apples to apples. Challenge still stands. Where are all the "metric V-twin Cruisers" producing 100 hp? Especially in the 1100 -1200 cc displacements?:shrug:

unsub
08-04-2014, 10:01 AM
There are a few design elements I don't like either, but IMO this is an entry level bike designed to appeal to women and small-er riders ie: the scooter crowd. Nothing more. *yawn* Good luck with that.

motozeke
08-04-2014, 12:35 PM
This is the only cruiser I would contemplate buying. I think it looks the business in matte gray.

racer
08-04-2014, 01:43 PM
do ya REALLY want a VINDIAN that bad??? :shrug:

clearly you don't.

but I suspect some folks will. the scout will certainly compete with the bike it was designed to share market with... the sporty.

ED209
08-05-2014, 03:41 AM
Alright some numbers are spreading around on magazine write ups.

So, we have the little Indian that could at:
72tq at 5900rpm
100hp at ?
RPM redline is 8500rpm
weight 558 lbs

Magazine author says the bike pulls hard at around 5000rpm on up. Man, add some intake air and and exhaust and tune it again, dayummmmm this bike is a "pony express" more than a "scout". Very nice machine.

I applied to win it in the raffle. Got my sausage fingers crossed.

Jimmytee
08-05-2014, 04:50 AM
Alright some numbers are spreading around on magazine write ups.

So, we have the little Indian that could at:
72tq at 5900rpm
100hp at ?
RPM redline is 8500rpm
weight 558 lbs

Magazine author says the bike pulls hard at around 5000rpm on up. Man, add some intake air and and exhaust and tune it again, dayummmmm this bike is a "pony express" more than a "scout". Very nice machine.

I applied to win it in the raffle. Got my sausage fingers crossed.
It sounds and looks like it would be a lot of fun.

DarkKnt
08-05-2014, 08:33 PM
My previous ride of course; 2009 Griso. Not a true cruiser, but close. Dyno'd at 101 HP, with a pile of torque too.
Looking for something to replace it with...

Scotrod
08-05-2014, 09:04 PM
:
100hp at ?

8100 rpm

99 x 73.6

3.3 tank

5 qts of 15W-60.

Semi-dry sump.

Haven't change my mind since post #5. 'mooning'

SpeedyWho
08-06-2014, 12:22 PM
I think its the coolest bike out there in its category. I hope they sell a ton of them. 100HP on that bike would make it an awesome ride.