PDA

View Full Version : Installed HID low beams from SoCalMotoGear

Darkknight
08-03-2014, 06:48 AM
First thing is "Man, these things LIGHT UP!:yes:
Now the install was a little more difficult than I expected, but it was more me than the directions or equipment. My forearms aren't POPEYE's but they are just a little too big to access the lights through the handle bar tunnel. Second the spring that holds the bulb in was difficult to fully open on the left side and I didn't realize that it wasn't open all the way. I got the OEM bulb out but I couldn't install the new unit. After 1/2 hour of fussing with it, I got "impatient" and pushed the dam spring out of the way.:banghead: From then on it was a fairly easy install. I did install the bulbs from the front underside. Hiding the ballasts wasn't too bad and I'm waiting for some good double back tape to secure the ballast blocks up inside the Tupperware.
I couldn't resist taking it for a ride last night to "shake down" the harness placement and just see the difference. Man, the street signs and road markings really jump out now. Vision is greatly improved.:clap2:
To complete the white light look, I would like to install the LED switchback front signal lights. The only problem is I've already installed the smoke lenses and the LEDs come with clear lens:icon_doh:. I may contact SoCal to see if they can supply the kit less the lenses. If not there may be a Smoke signal set for sale.
Anyway, these signal lights are bright white until you enable the turn signal. At that point they turn amber and flash..notworthy.

Jimmytee
08-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Glad you like it. Just curious, haven't researched it yet, but isn't there an LED alternative that will brighten up the headlights and draw fewer amps on the electrical system?

Kurare79
08-03-2014, 07:31 AM
These lights look great! Wonderful how bright they are! :yes:

I ordered them for the brake lights and the turn signals at front and back, just got to get them from the customs at tuesday. (I didn't bought them as front lights because i get Xenon Lights soon.)

Darkknight
08-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Glad you like it. Just curious, haven't researched it yet, but isn't there an LED alternative that will brighten up the headlights and draw fewer amps on the electrical system?

Well, I think these Xenon HID units are brighter than LED. They certainly seem brighter than the Honda LED fog lights. They do draw less energy and give much more light than stock. MMUUCCHH more light.

I can find LED signal light bulbs but I want them to be white then turn amber when I signal a turn.

If I install the switch-back units, I'll post it here.

Kurare79
08-15-2014, 10:28 AM
@DarkKnight: Is it hard to install the break lights and turning signals at the back? Do i have to open the saddle bags to somehow open the back lights? How do i get access to the bulbs?

Kurare79
08-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Made a quick video with my iPhone so that you can see the differences from the Turn Signal and Break lights compared to the Factory Bulbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kjVho9Xt4

Steve 0080
08-16-2014, 10:37 AM
@DarkKnight: Is it hard to install the break lights and turning signals at the back? Do i have to open the saddle bags to somehow open the back lights? How do i get access to the bulbs?

Yes there are to wing nuts inside the saddle bags that hold the rear light assembly in....easy!!!

Kurare79
08-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Thank you, Steve! As you can see in the vid above, i was able to manage it with my two left hands :icon_biggrin:

Hornblower
08-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Yes, Jimmytee, there are LED alternatives but here's the thing...At this point, LED headlights are really bright to look at BUT they don't project light down-the-road like HID. I imagine that will change as LED technology continues to advance. Some of the later model, and usually higher end, autos are running LED's but none that I'm aware of with a single bulb. Those have specially designed reflector housings and multiple bulb elements. The HID bulbs most of us are running for lo-beams are 35W, thus lower wattage than the OEM halogen. The light output from the HID bulbs seems to be at least double the OEM halogens. In fact, they are so bright I rarely need to turn on my LED hi-beam bulbs which is just as well since they hardly add any more than fill light anyway.

motozeke
08-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Just ordered the Hi/Lo combo kit! :icon_cool::yes:

It frankly frightens me to ride this bike at night. Especially on mountain roads. :shock:

Kurare79
08-19-2014, 02:45 AM
Updated video with night comparison. As soon as i have the HID Lights i'll do another video to show the differences while driving and record it with an action cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxB-OxvUTHk

VP8
08-19-2014, 02:45 PM
I love my new lights. I upgraded to the HID low beams, white/amber switchback front turn signals, and rear LED set up. I also love the smoke front turn signal lenses. Here are my before and after pictures.

Kurare79
08-19-2014, 11:31 PM
@VP8: Great work! :yes:

F6BLK
08-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Just ordered the Hi/Lo combo kit! :icon_cool::yes:

It frankly frightens me to ride this bike at night. Especially on mountain roads. :shock:

You will be more than happy after install...I do a lot of night riding on rural roads..the difference is truly amazing!