PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Headset

Bosman
06-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Just mounted my ZUMO 660 on my bike and I would like to get a good Bluetooth headset so I can hear directions and talk on the phone. Any suggestions as to which one to buy?

Steve 0080
06-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Just plug into the bike......

http://www.edsets.com/3G_headsets

Alberta Beagle
06-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Just mounted my ZUMO 660 on my bike and I would like to get a good Bluetooth headset so I can hear directions and talk on the phone. Any suggestions as to which one to buy?

I have the Sena SMH-10. Since its the 21st century I say it's time to get rid of all the wired crap.
The Sena will run your phone, music player and ZUMO all via Bluetooth. It also will allow you to talk to up to 3 other Sena owners via Bluetooth with a 900 meter range.
It is a top rated system that I would highly recommend.:biggthumpup:

Beagle

BillyDaFinn
06-12-2013, 11:09 PM
I have the Sena SMH-10. Since its the 21st century I say it's time to get rid of all the wired crap.
The Sena will run your phone, music player and ZUMO all via Bluetooth. It also will allow you to talk to up to 3 other Sena owners via Bluetooth with a 900 meter range.

Beagle

This is good to hear, I just bought a Bell Mag-9 helmet which integrates Sena, lots of good reviews out there, looks popular?

Steve 0080
06-12-2013, 11:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-USB-Micro-Adapter-Dongle/dp/B001EBE1LI/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/183-3946431-9574954

I have one of these!!!

Darkknight
06-13-2013, 04:54 AM
I'm using UCLEAR bluetooth. It was $149 for the basic model.
It has noise canceling technology and is boomless.
I use a samsung smart phone with "talk" app. I can hear my navigation, speak a text message, dictate a memo, of course make a phone call and hear an incoming text read to back to me. Without the smart phone I can still talk rider to passenger and bike to bike.
Still learning how to use it all.
It helps to have a quiet helmet. I found that because my helmet wind noise was loud in my helmet (first, cheap helmet), I would yell to talk. This would confuse the noise canceling function and it would try to cancel my voice. Quieter helmet and speaking normally and it works just fine.

ddoug
06-13-2013, 06:21 PM
I 'm disappointed with the new Sena SMH10. First let me say the unit works perfect off the bike ,loud and clear .Our first ride test was terrible. Couldn't get a clear voice with all the wind noise in the background. She only got 75% of my voice ,and I could not understand her, unless she put her hand in front of the mike. We tried the special little caps and socks for the mics; but it didn't make any difference.
I don't know what to do now ; feel like I wasted $300.
Should have looked at race car head sets?

Alberta Beagle
06-13-2013, 07:52 PM
I 'm disappointed with the new Sena SMH10. First let me say the unit works perfect off the bike ,loud and clear .Our first ride test was terrible. Couldn't get a clear voice with all the wind noise in the background. She only got 75% of my voice ,and I could not understand her, unless she put her hand in front of the mike. We tried the special little caps and socks for the mics; but it didn't make any difference.
I don't know what to do now ; feel like I wasted $300.
Should have looked at race car head sets?

What are you wearing for a helmet?
I have seen several reviews of the Sena SMH-10 online and would have to say my persoanl experience mirrors that of the reviews. Crystal clear communication whether on the phone, music or using the communicator function with another rider.
If you are having wind noise issues it is likely a result of not using a quality helmet.

Beagle

Memphian
06-13-2013, 08:40 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-USB-Micro-Adapter-Dongle/dp/B001EBE1LI/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/183-3946431-9574954

I have one of these!!!
I have SCALA RIDER and I'm tired of the battery going dead and charging the thing up before a ride. I want something that will work all the time, so I've decided to go hard wire. Steve I guess I need to read up on what head sets to get, cause I have no idea what product to get and what I need. I don't even know what a dongle is or does or how it connects to other products.

Dark Knight
06-13-2013, 09:26 PM
I run my iphone in the bag connected all the time. I would like to answer calls or make calls if needed using the iPhone. I am thinking a Bluetooth solution would work best. Since I am new to the GoldWing comms thing, would I be missing anything by not plugging into the 5 pin cable?

Steve 0080
06-13-2013, 10:49 PM
I took the lazy was out for around town or short trips...I have my I Phone 5 in a holder on the bar with ear phones and Pandora playing...when a call comes in..no Problem and I have Siri for all other functions...

On longer trips I go with my Arai helmet with Scala rider along with ear plugs into the bikes radio...GPS and phone into helmet via Scala...

ddoug
06-14-2013, 11:13 AM
What are you wearing for a helmet?
I have seen several reviews of the Sena SMH-10 online and would have to say my persoanl experience mirrors that of the reviews. Crystal clear communication whether on the phone, music or using the communicator function with another rider.
If you are having wind noise issues it is likely a result of not using a quality helmet.

Beagle

OK , you have me confused ; what does a helmet have to do with the mic? The wind noise is not in the helmet ; it's in the speaker.

av8rdave
06-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Beagle

I would like to go wireless, but I'm pretty fond of the sound system on the bike, to include the FM radio and ability to hook up iphone.ipod.

Alberta Beagle
06-14-2013, 02:04 PM
OK , you have me confused ; what does a helmet have to do with the mic? The wind noise is not in the helmet ; it's in the speaker.

In your first post you said "Couldn't get a clear voice with all the wind noise in the background. She only got 75% of my voice ,and I could not understand her, unless she put her hand in front of the mike.":icon_rolleyes:

To me it sounds like wind noise was affecting your ability to use the system. If you have a less than ideal helmet it will affect the quality of your conversation. The fact she could shield the mic and then you could hear her indicates she was reducing the background wind noise by covering the mic.

Maybe someone else can explain it better if he doesn't get this explanation because now I'm confused by his last post. :shrug:

ddoug
06-14-2013, 06:10 PM
In your first post you said "Couldn't get a clear voice with all the wind noise in the background. She only got 75% of my voice ,and I could not understand her, unless she put her hand in front of the mike.":icon_rolleyes:

To me it sounds like wind noise was affecting your ability to use the system. If you have a less than ideal helmet it will affect the quality of your conversation. The fact she could shield the mic and then you could hear her indicates she was reducing the background wind noise by covering the mic.

Maybe someone else can explain it better if he doesn't get this explanation because now I'm confused by his last post. :shrug:

OK,- the speakers have a constant roar that is louder than her voice. I'm assuming it is wind noise , the roar would subside in my helmet when she shielded her mike with both her hands , and only then I could hear her clearly. She shouldn't be expected to do this every time to talk.
Yes, I have already switched the speakers and mic's around , same result.
I can not explain this any better , and still don't see how a helmet has anything to do with it.

Steve 0080
06-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Try a new mic cover .....the foam cover...

msm
06-30-2013, 10:25 AM
OK,- the speakers have a constant roar that is louder than her voice. I'm assuming it is wind noise , the roar would subside in my helmet when she shielded her mike with both her hands , and only then I could hear her clearly. She shouldn't be expected to do this every time to talk.
Yes, I have already switched the speakers and mic's around , same result.
I can not explain this any better , and still don't see how a helmet has anything to do with it.

If you're using the Sena system with the boom mic, make sure the mic is facing the right way. There is a small triangle on the stem directly adjacent to the mic. That triangle should be towards your mouth. If the mic is twisted, the business end of the mic can be facing away from your mouth and will be hit by wind.

Keep the mic w/in a few mm's of your mouth (close enough to contact with your lips if you pooch them out a little bit).

The factory default is for the voice activation to be turned off (i.e. you can't just activate the intercom using your voice). The factory default is that you have to push the jog dial to initiate the intercom and push it again to end an intercom chat. I suggest always running it in this mode. If you use the voice activation, you can inadvertently activate the intercom when coughing, sneezing, singing/talking to yourself, etc.

Also, make sure your firmware is up to date. I just updated mine yesterday, and there is a new audio profile that increased the speaker sound significantly.

woody
06-30-2013, 02:28 PM
I have noticed a roaring sound with the volume turned right up. Try turning the volume down a little on the Jog Dial. I have mine mounted in Shoei helmets and am more than pleased with the performance of the Sena setup.

bobbyf6b
06-30-2013, 03:42 PM
I have the Scala Rider Q1- rider to passenger. Also makes and receives calls. Speakers aren't great for music though.

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-q1

I miss my old wired Chatterbox system from the 90's. No batteries, no charging, no bluetooth. just plug and talk. I think my only disappointment in the F6B is it came with a driver intercom but not passenger. I wonder what the cost would be to hook one up.