PDA

View Full Version : Question about Luggage

VP8
08-03-2014, 03:08 PM
What does everyone use for their luggage on long trips. Particularly those of you who have the Honda travel rack. Also, those of you who strap your luggage onto your passenger seat...what do you use? And do you just strap it to the grab rails or did you install something else to strap it to?

Thanks for your help.

DaWadd
08-03-2014, 03:59 PM
As far as straps go look into RokStraps. Very handy IMO. If I'm solo I attach a north face duffel bag to the passenger handrails and I put a Honda rear rack bag I've had for a few years strapped to the passenger backrest and away I go.

Hornblower
08-03-2014, 04:42 PM
+1 on ROK Straps :yes:. Very clever, indeed!

zeus661
08-03-2014, 09:30 PM
I have a waterproof Wolfman bag I strap on the seat.

srt8-in-largo
08-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Never heard of Rokstraps; they look much better than bungees.

FlyinF
08-03-2014, 09:42 PM
I have a top box on the rack which helps secure a nice bag that acts as a good backrest.

bobbyf6b
08-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Someone here recommended these and I use them. They work great with a bungie net.

http://www.aerostich.com/bags/more-packing-options/straps-bungees-and-accessories/aerostich-frame-loops.html

Darkknight
08-04-2014, 05:03 AM
We tend to over-pack. The Iron Rider series is modular so you can mix and match bags to fit your needs. We use 2 "main" bags. These would normally be the bottom bags that the smaller ones attach to. But all the bags have multiple attachment points. They also come with a rain cover, but I usually pack everything in a plastic bag just in case.

Deer Slayer
08-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Orlib bag across pax seat, using it's straps. :cheers:

bobbyf6b
08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
The straps I posted a link for above.

d-shark
08-04-2014, 03:16 PM
I love this bag, it holds a ton and fits great on the larger aftermarket F6B luggage rack. My girlfriend and I have been to Sturgis many times with this bag and it's all we need.

http://www.saddlemen.com/br3400-back-seat-sissy-bar-bag-universal

SPGrenier
08-07-2014, 11:46 AM
You guys are really testing the 6.6 lb limit of your cargo racks. :thumb:

bobbyf6b
08-07-2014, 01:00 PM
I love this bag, it holds a ton and fits great on the larger aftermarket F6B luggage rack. My girlfriend and I have been to Sturgis many times with this bag and it's all we need.

http://www.saddlemen.com/br3400-back-seat-sissy-bar-bag-universal

That's a sweet looking bag, thanks for sharing!

Hornblower
08-07-2014, 01:24 PM
I have the Helen Twowheels Clothes Sack (Large Size). For a link to see more info go here:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/11567/Helen_Twowheels_Clothes_Sacks

I'm using Rok Straps instead of the straps that came with this bag simply because they are easier to use. The bag is waterproof, holds a lot of stuff, and I personally prefer this look over a top case. My H2W bag is around 10 years old and has held up very well. It still looks new. So far, I haven't seen anything I would rather have. Being the "tweaker" that I am, that's saying something :icon_rolleyes:.

VP8
08-07-2014, 02:49 PM
I have the Helen Twowheels Clothes Sack (Large Size). For a link to see more info go here:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/11567/Helen_Twowheels_Clothes_Sacks

I'm using Rok Straps instead of the straps that came with this bag simply because they are easier to use. The bag is waterproof, holds a lot of stuff, and I personally prefer this look over a top case. My H2W bag is around 10 years old and has held up very well. It still looks new. So far, I haven't seen anything I would rather have. Being the "tweaker" that I am, that's saying something :icon_rolleyes:.

Hornblower, do you happen to have a picture of your bike with this bag strapped on it? And do you strap the bag to the passenger seat or to the rear rack?

Thanks.

hiflyer
08-07-2014, 02:58 PM

[:.

Back in the 90's I made a number of BMW get together's where Helen was personally selling her wares. I still have all the stuff I bought from her. Do you know if she is still around, or did she sell her business to someone?

Hornblower
08-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Hornblower, do you happen to have a picture of your bike with this bag strapped on it? And do you strap the bag to the passenger seat or to the rear rack?
Thanks.

I don't think I do, actually. Possibly, there are pics on the website. The last time I used it was the Daytona F6B gathering and that's also when I discoved the Rok Straps. That time, I strapped it on my passenger seat. Since then, I've added the Bike MP3 rack so next time, I will have to experiment to see where it mounts best. Since I never have a passenger, I like the idea of strapping it on the passenger seat. The only downside I see to that is possibly scratching the grab bars since the bag does overlap those. It wasn't a problem last time but it could happen. Also, the further back you mount a load, the more it can potentially affect handling (probably not too significant). Like I say, I will experiment with this.

Hornblower
08-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Back in the 90's I made a number of BMW get together's where Helen was personally selling her wares. I still have all the stuff I bought from her. Do you know if she is still around, or did she sell her business to someone?

Right, hiflyer, that's when I learned about H2W too. I used it on my K12LT. I guess she catered to the Beemer crowd. I don't know if she is still around but, of course, there still is the website. That's all I know about that.

I guess we should point out that several other companies have since come out with some really nice bags. If I were buying today, I would spend some time checking out the latest offerings.

VP8
08-08-2014, 02:35 PM
I have the OEM Honda rear rack, and can't imagine loading a duffle bag on that without possibly scratching my paint. I was thinking of strapping the bag length ways..long way toward the rider, that way it wouldn't come close to scratching the bike. Thanks to the crew on the forum, I've purchased some ROK straps and am now looking for a good waterproof travel bag.