PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you like Harley Davidson....

CheckpointChcky
08-03-2014, 04:00 PM
.....and if so, why? If not, why? This ought to be interesting but I need to know other's opinion about this manufacturer.

XKnight
08-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Sure I like HD bikes. I like all bikes actually. If it has 2 wheels and a motor it usually makes me smile. I've owned a bunch of Harley bikes and still have one in the garage.

What I don't like about the manufacturer is that they are still trying to sell bikes based on being an American icon yet they now have a manufacturing plant in India and many of their parts, accessories and clothing come from China. If you want to claim American heritage then don't sell out. Also, I'm not into the Harley lifestyle and herd mentality that many Harley owners seem to flock too.

ED209
08-03-2014, 04:18 PM
I love Harleys from Shovels on back. The new ones... :shrug: no dig for me. I guess I am an old breed Harley man. Although I had 2 Evo's, a Shovel and a 883 Snorty. Nice bikes.... :shrug: too much to clean, too many gaskets and O-rings , best for a tinker man. I'd buy another Shovel right now :yes:

My best friend rides a 2006 Roadking. Funny, I always ask him to let me put some fishtails on it and maybe some new handlebars. :icon_lol:

foodog2
08-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I consider myself a Harley guy and after 20 years of Harley riding I have sold both my HD bikes and only have the F6B. They are beautiful, but honestly we were ready for quiet smooth touring. I never dressed like a pirate anyway so I don't have tons of HD clothes to give away :)

six2go
08-03-2014, 05:47 PM
I think Harleys are beautiful machines. Nobody but nobody can apply paint like Harley can. I have never owned one and now that I'm getting older, I probably never will. Nothing against the machines, just never shopped for one for some reason.

F6BLK
08-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Yes and I like the smell of leather in the feel of boots!

zzh54
08-03-2014, 06:08 PM
If it has 2 wheels its worth a ride. In my 40+ years on the street most have been on Harleys. In my opinion Harley thinks they are the only one building bikes. If they gave me a descent trade in price I probably would have never looked any further.

Now that I did buy the F6B I will probably never look back. I sold my Ultra and thinking of selling my Fatboy. The F6B to me is in a class of its own and Harley just doesnt realize that they are missing the mark.

Retired Army
08-03-2014, 06:30 PM
The wise investor puts their hard earned money into a product they can spend a lot of time riding comfortably. I can not ride a Harley any where comfortably.

olds34dude
08-03-2014, 06:41 PM
sure I love Harleys too, and just traded our "13 Ultra Limited 110th Annniv. bike on our F6B deluxe. I have had probably more Harleys than others, though at least 4 wings and 3 ST's etc. Twenty odd years ago touring the factory in York, the boxes all over the place read made in Taiwan, I guess now they can save in China, just didn't enjoy the last one so much or the "09 before it, with a Vic. Vision in between. In retrospect, I would probably go back a long way if buying Harley today, they can't duplicate the original with what they make today, or replicate the nostalgia that gave them the popularity that they are trying to retain, and how long will that last with doctors lawyers and fantasizers in pirate wear? D.

opas ride
08-03-2014, 06:42 PM
I tend to agree with some of the above posts also..Harley does a great job of painting and chrome, but the engines leave a lot to be desired in my opinion...The all look alike and sound alike and I have never been one to join the "good ole boys club" and ride to the local dealer park my bike and spend all afternoon talking about how "great HD's" are...Too each his own, as they say, and I choose to ride a Honda F6B and "blow-away" HD's when the opportunity arises...Even at my ripe old age (74) it is still kinda fun to hit the gas!!!!

Deer Slayer
08-03-2014, 06:46 PM
HD makes a fine motorcycle. The motor company just could never check all the boxes that I wanted in a motorcycle. I could never frown that much and put on all the funny motor clothes. I like the Dudes with imported cars and trucks with Harley Davidson front tags. Now HD has the 500/750 water cooled Dot Head Model. Oh for the North American market the Indian (country) parts are assembled in The USA. :cheers:

GNW
08-03-2014, 07:05 PM
I have had many. Rode them when they weren't popular. Had some bad experiences with shovelheads and still loved the lope.
I guess it's been a love/ hate relationship. I have learned to never say never. Right now, I love my F6B and that's a good thing !!

Trike lady
08-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I had my share of HDs, didn't wear pirate outfits and building trikes one test of a Goldwing and I was sold. Owned a GL1500 trike for 6 years before selling it. If I get a better job and my finances improve I may build myself another Wing trike.

GNW
08-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I tend to agree with some of the above posts also..Harley does a great job of painting and chrome, but the engines leave a lot to be desired in my opinion...The all look alike and sound alike and I have never been one to join the "good ole boys club" and ride to the local dealer park my bike and spend all afternoon talking about how "great HD's" are...Too each his own, as they say, and I choose to ride a Honda F6B and "blow-away" HD's when the opportunity arises...Even at my ripe old age (74) it is still kinda fun to hit the gas!!!!

I blew two away yesterday. Just couldn't help it ! My wife said, "You know I hate that when you do that". MY BAD !!!

Heavvyduty
08-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Been riding for 40yrs, Harley has the best paint job on the market, But thats all they have NOW..

CheckpointChcky
08-03-2014, 07:36 PM
I love their looks but have always been afraid to buy one because of the mechanical issues I hear that they have and the roasting heat I hear that they generate.

Scotrod
08-03-2014, 07:41 PM
I like 'em all.
I buy which ever bike fits my needs at the time.
Maybe some day that will be a HD. Maybe not. :shrug:

powercruzer13
08-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Love the fact that they are an American based company.:yes:
Disappointed that the products they make don't have what I need in a motorcycle.:no:
Ditto for the two Polaris bike brands.:icon_frown:

Brian D
08-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Had a 13roadglide. Nice looking bike And I thought it was a nice riding bike coming off a 2000 yamaha roadstar. Until the electrical problems set in 4-5 times in the shop in less than 1 years and 10,000 miles. So I went and test drove the f6 and bought the bike I looked at last summer and should have bought. If I test drove the f6 last year I would have never even went to the hd dealer that day. Gotta agree with other. Nice paint and chrome

bobbyf6b
08-03-2014, 09:11 PM
I had a Street Bob that I was pretty happy with but I thought the Street Glide would be the ultimate. I was wrong. I got an 07 and it handled like crap, stopped like crap and was in the shop over and over. Engine had to be rebuilt at 35k. I traded it in on the F6B as soon as I paid it down enough to get it financed. But as fun and comfy as the F6B is, I missed the feel of a paint shaker between my legs. I always wanted a Sportster so I picked up a used one and I love it! Now I have the best of both worlds (for me). Most of my riding is with HOG since I made so many friends over the last few years. I ride the F6B all week to work and ride the Sporty on the weekends. I think I'm good to go, for a while at least!

:icon_mrgreen:

Darren
08-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Never been a HD fan, never really understood why they were so expensive. They always seemed to me to be underpowered, underdeveloped, unreliable and uncomfortable.

tinkerman
08-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Never been a HD fan, never really understood why they were so expensive. They always seemed to me to be underpowered, underdeveloped, unreliable and uncomfortable.

Well I have never understood the concept of being a Harley only advocate...anymore than I understand being a one beer brand kind of person....variety is the spice of life and all that.

I would even agree with some of the above comments relating to the cost etc. I mean HD was/is as much about branding and marketing as it was/is about bikes. They sold a lifestyle and anyone that wants to by into it....who am I to criticize.

However after running an 88 evo powered heritage for a number of years (back and forth and around the continent) I can say that the bikes when not tinkered with (too much) are as solid as tractors....and about as comfortable:icon_lol:with paint and chrome...at least from that era that goes on for ever. Tough machines until people start tinkering with things better off left alone. I think the biggest downfall to the HD brand is people that don't have the know how messing with perfectly working machines till they don't work and then blaming it on the brand. I have seen quite a bit of that...and I am not one to defend HD or any other make.

tink

motozeke
08-04-2014, 12:13 PM
What I don't like about the manufacturer is that they are still trying to sell bikes based on being an American icon yet they now have a manufacturing plant in India and many of their parts, accessories and clothing come from China. If you want to claim American heritage then don't sell out. Also, I'm not into the Harley lifestyle and herd mentality that many Harley owners seem to flock too.

Outsourcing to maximize profit while posing as "All-American"? What's more American than that?

Scotrod
08-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Very true! /\ /\ /\ /\

motozeke
08-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Sure I like HD bikes. I like all bikes actually. If it has 2 wheels and a motor it usually makes me smile. I've owned a bunch of Harley bikes and still have one in the garage.

Love the fact that they are an American based company.:yes:
Disappointed that the products they make don't have what I need in a motorcycle.:no:
Ditto for the two Polaris bike brands.:icon_frown:

I know, right? I buy American wherever I can (I exclusively buy American cars, for instance) but buying American in motorcycles means cruisers or exclusive sport bikes. Huge expanses of unaddressed market needs by Polaris and Harley. Ah, I could go on but why bother.:shrug:

racer
08-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Sure. My first two bikes were harleys. Just don't feel the need to buy another. There are better motorcycles out there.

Meanie97
08-04-2014, 02:17 PM
I like the way they fit me
I like the interchangeability (not sure if thats correct)
I like the gas mileage
I like the way they lope, as long as the exhaust isn't too loud
Dislikes:
I hate the dealers
I hate the service department
I hate the suspension
I hate the amount of money I have to drop on them to make them right

SmallPasture
08-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Love the bike and all the history that comes with it. Great story!

I'm not crazy about how they've canned the "Harley Image" and sell it to new Harley owners.
I know, I know...ya got own one to understand it. Well, that's not going to happen. :yikes:Had the not so fun pleasure of riding (the soon to be Father in-laws) Ultra Classic Electra Glide from Houston to Amarillo and back in July. Nope never again. I vibrated for 2 weeks after that and had night sweats from the leftover heat stored in my ass!!!!

but then again....that's me!

Flame away Harleys...I've got fireproof shorts on!

Big Dawg
08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
As a reformed Harley rider, (I owned over 50 harleys in the past 40 years) I finally figgured it out. Come on guys, who builds a air cooled, vee twin, push rod motor today to compete in the real world market? Honestly the big bore, long stroke, slow turn motor design is over a hundred years old. The bikes are slow, heavy and ill handling by today's standards. Not to mention over priced. Please don't misunderstand, I don't dislike them and I think from a business standpoint the "Company" has done a remarkable job in selling the image and the lifestyle.

This much I do know; if I am riding across this country on a bike, I'll pick the Honda over the Harley any and every day. When I rode Harley's a 400 mile day was a killer, today on the Honda, 1000 mile days are a killer.

XKnight
08-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Love the bike and all the history that comes with it. Great story!

I'm not crazy about how they've canned the "Harley Image" and sell it to new Harley owners.
I know, I know...ya got own one to understand it. Well, that's not going to happen. :yikes:Had the not so fun pleasure of riding (the soon to be Father in-laws) Ultra Classic Electra Glide from Houston to Amarillo and back in July. Nope never again. I vibrated for 2 weeks after that and had night sweats from the leftover heat stored in my ass!!!!

but then again....that's me!

Flame away Harleys...I've got fireproof shorts on!

You clearly just don't get the Harley mystique.:shock: Harleys have a soul.:yikes: They are the only inanimate object that has one. It's true, it's true, because a bunch of current Harley riders told me so and that's how they are able to tell the difference between their bike any anything that's not a Harley.

Big Dawg
08-04-2014, 04:47 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3514&d=1388033028

Darren
08-04-2014, 05:09 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3514&d=1388033028

That's how I feel lol

powercruzer13
08-04-2014, 07:08 PM
You clearly just don't get the Harley mystique.:shock: Harleys have a soul.:yikes: They are the only inanimate object that has one. It's true, it's true, because a bunch of current Harley riders told me so and that's how they are able to tell the difference between their bike any anything that's not a Harley.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: :icon_lol:

RcBtx1999
08-04-2014, 07:11 PM
I agree with everything he said and yes, I love my Harley's, but this bike is exceptional. My local HD dealer in Boerne at Javelina, cringes every time I ride it onto the lot to visit with my HD buddies. Most of the guys I ride with are Harley owners, and they all are in the rear view mirror when it's time to giddy-up!!!:stirthepot:

CheckpointChcky
08-04-2014, 07:38 PM
I guess it is the heat issues, price, and mechanical failures that have stopped me from taking the plunge. I just loved, loved, loved the look of the 2013 Road King Classic in pearl white. That, to me, is the quintessential image of a motorcycle.

FlatSixBagger
08-04-2014, 09:22 PM
I like the history, the look, the customabilty but the sound has actually become a bit annoying, every time I hear a H-D I think of the South Park Episode "FAG" and it just make me laugh, now granted I still own an 84 Softail

SpeedyWho
08-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Harley has Fantastic Paint Jobs and their Fit and Finish is top notch for sure, and I am sure nobody will argue that Harley marketing is one of the best in any business.

kjelders
08-05-2014, 11:07 AM
I bought $21,000 worth of HD t-shirts.......and a bike came with it. :icon_mrgreen: My 07 Ultra was a great bike. However, the F6B is my all-time favorite.

ED209
08-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't mind adding the STREET 750 to my garage though. :biggthumpup:

SmallPasture
08-05-2014, 01:58 PM

:lolup:....excellent XKnight!
I can't tell ya how many times I've heard that basic line of thinking from the HD crowd.
Sorry, just don't get it!:shrug:

SmallPasture
08-05-2014, 01:59 PM
I bought $21,000 worth of HD t-shirts.......and a bike came with it. :icon_mrgreen: My 07 Ultra was a great bike. However, the F6B is my all-time favorite.

Now that's good stuff right there!!! ^^^

foodog2
08-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I like that street 750, but VRods are faster

Marine Gunfighter
08-06-2014, 09:38 AM
I must say that they are beautiful bikes and no two ever look the same. I live 5 minutes from Interstate 95 and I must say that Harley’s are the only things that ride more than their owners. LOL They are always towed or in the back of a truck. I could not spend that kind of money on a bike and be afraid to ride it over a distance.

austin_tech
08-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Y'all have probably seen this classic ...

ED209
08-06-2014, 01:13 PM

and very expensive :icon_mrgreen: and very fast

I was and actually still am, considering a small $ cruiser and the HD Street750, Indian Scout, HD883 and Yamaha Bolt all fit the category.

Convert
08-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Had an Electra glide standard with the 96 motor. Way too much valve train knocking and noise. Never had any problems though. Had a Vrod Muscle. Nice bike, fast and never had a problem with it. Just too stretched out for an old guy. Last Harley was a 2012 Softail Deluxe. Only problem I ever had was the rear spokes loosened up with about 1000 miles on it. Not a good feeling when your going 70 mph. Took it to Idaho a couple of times. Ran great but beat
me up pretty good because of the suspension or lack of it. I ride with a bunch of Harley guys every weekend for breakfast. When I showed up with the Honda they about died. To them it is not a GoldWing. They call it an OldWing and
even all bought shirts with the Honda logo that reads OLDWING across the front. They give me a lot of grief about having a Goldwing F6B but are always looking at it and sitting on it. They realized the first time we rode that they couldn't keep up with it either. I tell them every week how great they are----for Harley riders. We have a good time.

mikey
08-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Had an Electra glide standard with the 96 motor. Way too much valve train knocking and noise. Never had any problems though. Had a Vrod Muscle. Nice bike, fast and never had a problem with it. Just too stretched out for an old guy. Last Harley was a 2012 Softail Deluxe. Only problem I ever had was the rear spokes loosened up with about 1000 miles on it. Not a good feeling when your going 70 mph. Took it to Idaho a couple of times. Ran great but beat
me up pretty good because of the suspension or lack of it. I ride with a bunch of Harley guys every weekend for breakfast. When I showed up with the Honda they about died. To them it is not a GoldWing. They call it an OldWing and
even all bought shirts with the Honda logo that reads OLDWING across the front. They give me a lot of grief about having a Goldwing F6B but are always looking at it and sitting on it. They realized the first time we rode that they couldn't keep up with it either. I tell them every week how great they are----for Harley riders. We have a good time.
rode an evo sportster 48k. that will toughen you up! rode the road king 110k. too much wrenching to keep it going that long. i'm with ya on the suspension, and the harley friends. i will never own another one, but like i said before i have friends & family that will always ride them, & i'm glad they enjoy them. they also know they cant keep up with me, and are more fatigued at the end of a day of good riding! they really do like my 6, they do wish they had less cost/ maintenance. to each his own!

BIGLRY
08-06-2014, 04:23 PM
I LOVE Harleys. :shhh:
They have made me a butt load of $ over the years FIXING them :tools1: and hopping them up so they would be able to keep up with the 'rice burners' that were kicking their collective asses.'riding'
Would I own one today? Only if I won it or it was free. I went through my H-D stage many years ago and got it out of my system, but I still worked on them up until I shut my shop down a few years ago.

JesseS
08-06-2014, 07:04 PM
I have had two HD's, good looking and sounding bikes.... but no performance to speak of without dropping another few grand on a stage 3 kit.
You know what they say, "Harley... The best way to turn gasoline into noise without the benefit of horsepower" My last one left me stranded with a bad electrical system in the middle of nowhere and it was only 6 months old... so no more HD's for me. Ran a hopped up one the other day, he thought he was fast, I hit the governor in 2nd, popped 3rd and he was dust.

BubbaJePH
08-06-2014, 08:03 PM
When I was looking for a bike, I thought the Fat Boy was the bike I would get. Then I found the Kawasaki Nomad. So much more bike for $8,000 less. A coworker of mine said I would have more friends if I bought a Harley. Excuse me but screw that. I do not need to buy friends. I do not need a motorcycle to go with my T Shirt Collection. I bought a Honda because they are well made, dependable and more bang for the bike. To find a Harley that was "Equal" to the F6B, the rag magazines get a $35,000 bike to the $18,000 Honda F6B:lolup:. Really! I have no need for a Harley. I do a little bashing in fun. A Harley is for men with Erectile Dysfunction and women that cannot get an satisfaction on a washing machine with an unbalanced load. I love my Honda. Wave at me when you pass with the whole hand or one finger, Harley riders. I'm happy with what I have.

Scotrod
08-06-2014, 09:36 PM
A coworker of mine said I would have more friends if I bought a Harley.

:icon_laugh:

Screw that!!!!

selmore50
08-10-2014, 09:36 PM
I traded a 2011 Hertiage Softail Classic on the F6. I had always wanted a goldwing and the F6 caught my attention. I'm 26 years old and the Harley was a very nice bike, sounded good, looked good. I would have kept if at 23000 miles it didn't need a thousand dollars worth of repairs and that was me doing the repairs. I will always have a soft spot for Harley's but I won't own another one

Phantom
08-10-2014, 10:01 PM
:cheers:

Come on Guys ....

You have to give Harley some credit ....

Harleys are so durable and reliable that ever since they started making them back in 1903 ... It's a Fact that --->

80% of all those Harley's are STILL on the road :yikes: ...... The other 20% made it home :duck: :nutkick: :stirthepot: :icon_mrgreen:

ED209
08-10-2014, 11:27 PM
David Allen Coe and myself are 100% in agreement here. This is why I am now riding a Honda Goldwing F6B. The new Harleys are just that as he says.... :icon_mrgreen: If it aint a Shovel. Pan or older than it aint a Harley. I'd rather build an S&S with a 4 speed Baker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_U4FvI5LnY

They drink the koolaide and the old timers just laugh and mock, they don't even know cause theyre sloshed on beer and koolaide :icon_doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYXRS1YB6bg

Steve 0080
08-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Nothing wrong with H.D., I have had a few...Had a few Wings, a few Kaw...and so on... Ride what you want, be proud of it and move on...Who cares as long as you are on two wheels as long as you can be then go to three!!!!

BIGLRY
08-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Nothing wrong with H.D., I have had a few...Had a few Wings, a few Kaw...and so on... Ride what you want, be proud of it and move on...Who cares as long as you are on two wheels as long as you can be then go to three!!!!+1
it is not what you ride, but that you ride. IMHO:yes:

XKnight
08-11-2014, 05:36 PM
+1
it is not what you ride, but that you ride. IMHO:yes:

Agreed! Except there seem to be a lot of Harley owners that keep them in the garage to look at and hardly ever ride. Case in point, I have a friend with a really nice Harley Fatboy. He's added thousands in accessories and has had the bike for 3 years and still hasn't rode 1,000 miles. Yet, he loves making fun of any bike that's not a Harley. Sad, but true.

ED209
08-11-2014, 07:29 PM
There are 3 guys at my new job with Harleys. only one rides, the others are garage queens. Their excuses, deer, fog, rain, hogs, their lower legs get damp........ :jerkit: "coffee" whwaaaa I ride every flippin day

Albeit... I have them on the lookout for a Shovel or Pan for me. Already found a number of shovels, but the pans are very high dollar. :yikes: $9000 lowest find yet. Found shovels all the way down to $4500.

decubitus
08-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I love my little baby Road Glide Ultra. Got it out of the garage the other evening for a nice ride. Very smooth and comfortable. It shakes all over the place at red lights, but that's one of the fun things about it.

hiflyer
08-12-2014, 12:09 PM
During my daily commute down I-35 here in OKC I have seen quite a few the last few days returning from Sturgis. Mostly touring bikes......loaded on trailers! I can't help myself and have to look at the drivers, they can't see me laughing under my full face with dark tint shield. Loved the Live to Ride, Ride to Live monster decal on the rear window of one pick-up.

racer
08-14-2014, 01:35 PM
To find a Harley that was "Equal" to the F6B, the rag magazines get a $35,000 bike to the $18,000 Honda F6B:lolup:.

It was a CVO and the 6 won!

shooter
08-14-2014, 01:49 PM
In reply to the OP the local dealer has a CVO Breakout that is chrome on chrome. One of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen. I'm a chrome whore and its a looker. It won't outrun my 109 though so its not worth $35,000 to me. The 9 looks really good and only paid $12,000 new.

motozeke
08-14-2014, 06:09 PM
I think I'll rent a Victahogdian one of these days just to see what all the fuss is about.

GaTeach
08-14-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm the anti-Harley. :)

Steve 0080
08-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Dusted off the Ultra last night, filled the tires...headed to the Keys Sunday AM !!! Ya cruise!!!

55K and it has never been the shop !!!

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
I have pushed a Harley farther than most people have ridden one.
So to answer the question.
HELL NO!

Doug

typhoon186
08-14-2015, 02:50 PM
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/0-60n4/Valkyrie/Harley%20Davison_zpskhyjftaa.jpg (http://s236.photobucket.com/user/0-60n4/media/Valkyrie/Harley%20Davison_zpskhyjftaa.jpg.html)

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 02:59 PM
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/0-60n4/Valkyrie/Harley%20Davison_zpskhyjftaa.jpg (http://s236.photobucket.com/user/0-60n4/media/Valkyrie/Harley%20Davison_zpskhyjftaa.jpg.html)

Thanks I couldn't remember what that saying was.
By the way this is close to 100% accurate.

Another good one is..
" Statistics show 97% of all Harleys are still on the road today.The other 3% actually made it home.":icon_lol:

Doug

opas ride
08-14-2015, 02:59 PM
I don't really care one way or another as I have never owned an HD and probably never will...They are all over the place and they have comprised one of the best and most profitable after-market parts/accessories systems in the world of motorcycles, but I love my F6B and have never had any real issues with Honda bikes and at 75+ years old now will continue to ride a bike with power, smoothness, handling, and reliability until something else comes along if ever.....JMHO

a1scoot
08-14-2015, 03:09 PM
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt51/a1scoot/IMG_1837_zpsg16li9ma.jpg (http://s597.photobucket.com/user/a1scoot/media/IMG_1837_zpsg16li9ma.jpg.html)
I eat from all the food groups…..

typhoon186
08-14-2015, 03:27 PM
put it this way; If Harley made an airplane, would you put your family in it to fly across the country? How about Honda? There you go.

racer
08-14-2015, 03:35 PM
However after running an 88 evo powered heritage for a number of years (back and forth and around the continent) I can say that the bikes when not tinkered with (too much) are as solid as tractors....and about as comfortable:icon_lol:with paint and chrome...at least from that era that goes on for ever. Tough machines until people start tinkering with things better off left alone.

True dat! The old EVO is a reliable motor, replace the cam tensioners once and they are good to go. The EVO didn't have much competition in the vtwin world back then.

The problem is... today there are so many great performing v-twins, that folks feel compelled to tweak the Harley to get some power from them..

racer
08-14-2015, 03:56 PM
and very expensive :icon_mrgreen: and very fast

I was and actually still am, considering a small $ cruiser and the HD Street750, Indian Scout, HD883 and Yamaha Bolt all fit the category.

The Scout- buries the others in that category. :icon_biggrin:

seadog
08-14-2015, 03:58 PM
A group of us back in the day were going to the hill climbs 52 miles from our home. a friend had a 750 Honda Supersport and I had a 750-4 and the rest had Harleys. 13 miles down the road 2 of those Harley were in the trailer, another 25 miles one was broke down and took 45 minutes to get going. 2 and half hours later we reach the high climb already running.
So as far as my 22 year old self back then decided on never going with a Harley for my ride.
I have had 3 Honda dirt bikes and 2 Honda 750 road bikes and an Odd ball Ossa 250 phantom dirt bike and now the F6B none of which ever left me stranded anywhere and never had to be pickup and hauled in.
Harleys--- I just could never see spending that much money to go that slow!!!

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Seadog I was not joking about pushing them.
I rode them in the 70s.
They were horse shyt back then.
Always something causing a breakdown.
Even now I was told by a Harley Mechanic that the engines are only good on average for 40,000 miles then need rebuilt.
I don't know.
Just what I was told.
I will not buy one.
If someone gave me one I would instantly put it up for sale.

Doug

Greg O
08-14-2015, 04:23 PM
My last 3 bikes in the past 18 yrs were Harleys. They were solid bikes with no problems. My Fatboy dynoed at 96 Hp out of a 80 inch motor, with about 4 grand in motor work. It was a screamer, you can get horsepower out of Harleys. Would I buy another one, hell ya. Do l like my F6B hell ya.

Cool Hand Luke
08-14-2015, 04:48 PM
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt51/a1scoot/IMG_1837_zpsg16li9ma.jpg (http://s597.photobucket.com/user/a1scoot/media/IMG_1837_zpsg16li9ma.jpg.html)
I eat from all the food groups…..

That's great, a way to go! There is no one bike that does everything to everyone, best to have more!

I loved my 2009 HD VRSCF Muscle. It was a greatly enjoyable, fast and reliable bike for a few years. I made it fit me great with many extras:

Just recently I bought a Victory Cross Country. Awesome bike. Fits me great stock and it has a couple of things my F6B does not, cruise and abs. Of course, I am keeping the F6B, but I love cruisers too.

If HD makes a bike I like in the future I could own another one. Both my VRSCF and Road King Classic I owned performed fine with no problems and I enjoyed riding them. Currently I'm happy with these two.

fxdl2051
08-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Owned 3 over 13 years. 10 minutes on the f6b and those days were done. Started with Jap bikes, guess I'm going out that way.

F6B1911
08-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Harley's are beautiful machines, excellent paint, excellent chrome, and you can't beat the pride of ownership.
... However, I purchased a FLH in 1978 when Harley-Davidson was owned by AMF, and in 4 years I paid for it again in repairs.
I'd love to see Harley do something bold and come out with a shaft-driven bike, maybe even a new fully water-cooled engine.

shooter
08-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Yeah I like them. Not for myself. My two brother in laws have them. I don't hold it against them.

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Sure. They are just a different animal.
I'm blessed to also own a 09 Street Glide. It's loaded and is about a 105 with motor work. Fun to ride and just did a 2k mile, 2 up trip in 100 + degree weather and it never missed a beat.
Thank you brother.
Jim

seadog
08-14-2015, 09:14 PM

Went you run thru the gears on a V-Rod then you have to pull in and get gas. only bike with a 10 cent tank on it.

Steve 0080
08-14-2015, 09:18 PM
For me each brand/bike is good for something maybe a little better than another....kinda like girlfriends they also do something a little better than the other....would not get rid of either one .... when people say they are ONLY going to ride one brand I start laughing, because they ain't been around !!! :stirthepot:

Cool Hand Luke
08-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Went you run thru the gears on a V-Rod then you have to pull in and get gas. only bike with a 10 cent tank on it.

My VRSCF Muscle had 5 gallon tank, I rode for at least 150 miles before looking for gas. The earlier versions of V Rods did have 3.8 gallon gank.

dickiedeals
08-15-2015, 09:43 AM
My last Harley was a lemon. I've ridden Harley for 30 years.Its a different breed altogether.Harley has world class customer service with customer lounges for waiting for service to be completed.When getting issues serviced the Warranty covers 99% of everything.No denial no arguing, they fix it.When using the extended warranty you pay $50 bucks and the rest is covered always. I bought the F6B because its the first Honda that I didn't find butt ugly. It had a dependable proven motor and I wanted dependability. Its was the best choice for the money.Way more for way less.I thought at the time.That being said I've found Honda's dealerships and service sucks. They deny and won't fix squat under warranty.Then I got the 40 mph wobble they said the tire was bad that I need another.I had to pay for it. They tightened the bearings charged me $140 bucks labor to do it. Also not under warranty.I rode away with the same wobble that I still have today.After much research, I purchased all Balls tapered neck bearings to fix the problem. The dealer says if they install them I'll have to pay for the labor plus it will VOID my warranty...Now the tire They made me buy has 2000 miles on it the dealer is saying its bad, that's why I have the wobble. I've found out that the dealer's will never admit that Honda puts out Gold Wings with 40 mph wobble, yet its been happening for years. I wasted my money purchasing the extended warranty, I doubt Its worth the paper its written on. I now dread going to the dealer because I know its going to cost me money and it will be a big augment..Honda needs to address this problem. Lol, if you take it to Champions Honda They keep it four days and when you go expecting it to be ready you find they haven't gotten to it and forgot to notify you..What a joke.............Dickie

hardtail
08-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Only Harley i haven't owned is a knucklehead. New ones are OK(6 speed trans will not hold up) but the Motor company has become arrogant and dealers are impossible. Have 2 shovelheads and a 74'' sporty motor in a hardtail frame that is my daily transportation. Can buy everything for these after market-no HD. Trade in price is why I have the F6B now. 09 Roadglide broke(3 times) so I traded. Love the sound of a shovelhead. HD not as dependable as they should be for the money. The China/India thing is not good. HD shunned "outlaws" in the past but now wants to make millions selling the "lifestyle". Phoney. Still like shovels. JMO

New Guy
08-15-2015, 05:43 PM
I have a 1988 Sportster that I have been completely through from front to back over the past few years and absolutely love it! I like tinkering with things and don't mind wrenching on this bike. That being said, the reason I joined this group was to learn more about the Honda before I made a major purchase like this. I have been on the fence for some time between the F6B and a 2015 Road Glide. I had the opportunity to test ride the Road Glide just a few hours ago and here is how it went....We (the wife and I) pull out of the dealership with our salesman as an escort, we hit the interstate and accelerated up to 70mph and immediately could feel the heat radiate off the right side onto my leg. We exit after a couple of miles and go down this twisty little back road and as soon as we hit the first real bump I was thinking "holy hell" my '00 Yamaha Roadstar rides better than this thing. At one point we hit a bump and my wife verbally lets me know that's she's not pleased with the ride quality of this machine either. So we finally get back to the dealership and I tell my guy that if this is the best riding bike that Harley builds, Ill keep my 15 year old relic i'm riding now. He tells me to hang tight that the suspension is air adjustable and he wants to see where it was at pressure wise. So he takes it around and we wait on him.He comes back and says it was on 0psi and that he pumped it up to 50psi. I mention well maybe that had a lot to do with it I don't know. At that point he asks if I noticed anything else wrong on the test ride. I told him that actually it had a horrible vibration when slowing down but thought that was a "Harley" thing. He said it wasn't and said that he would offer us to do the test ride over again with air in the shocks this time. but that the engine was making a "clunking" sound when he moved the bike and didn't want to put us back on the bike until his techs checked it out. So we left the dealership, and left their new $23,000 bike with them to repair so they could sell it to someone other than myself. I'm fairly certain that there will be a Honda F6B in my near future!!

dickiedeals
08-15-2015, 09:46 PM
My last Harley was a lemon. I've ridden Harley for 30 years.Its a different breed altogether.Harley has world class customer service with customer lounges for waiting for service to be completed.When getting issues serviced the Warranty covers 99% of everything.No denial no arguing, they fix it.When using the extended warranty you pay $50 bucks and the rest is covered always. I bought the F6B because its the first Honda that I didn't find butt ugly. It had a dependable proven motor and I wanted dependability. Its was the best choice for the money.Way more for way less.I thought at the time.That being said I've found Honda's dealerships and service sucks. They deny and won't fix squat under warranty.Then I got the 40 mph wobble they said the tire was bad that I need another.I had to pay for it. They tightened the bearings charged me $140 bucks labor to do it. Also not under warranty.I rode away with the same wobble that I still have today.After much research, I purchased all Balls tapered neck bearings to fix the problem. The dealer says if they install them I'll have to pay for the labor plus it will VOID my warranty...Now the tire They made me buy has 2000 miles on it the dealer is saying its bad, that's why I have the wobble. I've found out that the dealer's will never admit that Honda puts out Gold Wings with 40 mph wobble, yet its been happening for years. I wasted my money purchasing the extended warranty, I doubt Its worth the paper its written on. I now dread going to the dealer because I know its going to cost me money and it will be a big augment..Honda needs to address this problem. Lol, if you take it to Champions Honda They keep it four days and when you go expecting it to be ready you find they haven't gotten to it and forgot to notify you..What a joke.............Dickie

15735.........Would Honda do this?........................Dickie

53driver
08-16-2015, 12:18 AM
I have both a Honda & a Harley Davidson. Have always had one of each, give or take a few months here and there.
Two totally different rides and two totally different missions.
I have never had an Ultra/Road/Duo Glide, so as far as a cross country bike, I cannot comment.
I have had a '73 Ironhead Left Foot Shift Sporty and I still have my '95 Heritage Special.
My first bike was an '81 Standard Wing. Then got the Sporty, then got the Heritage, then got a '98 Valk, sold the '81 Wing, sold the sporty, sold the Valk and got the F6B.

I don't dress like a pirate when I ride Saorla, nor do I care if my jacket & helmet matches my bike when I ride Isleen.
I really don't care what other people think when they see me on either one.
If someone wants to judge my contents (good or bad) on the method of delivery? That's so not my problem and I shan't be taking it on.
I'm not the fastest guy out there, I'm not the safest guy out there, I'm not the smartest guy out there.
But I can easily live with my choices and be happy in my own skin.

There is a time and place for almost anything.
Including Harley Davidson motorcycles.

shooter
08-16-2015, 09:28 AM
I personally would like to see the pirate thing...........just sayin.:poke:

hardtail
08-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Pirates wear an eye patch. Looks cool but is it tuff to ride with one eye?

shooter
08-16-2015, 10:56 AM
No depth perception. But that's OK , 53 is not very deep anyway.:joke:

Airborne06
08-16-2015, 10:58 AM
I have owned both Harleys and Hondas. My current rides are a 2013 F6B and a 2011 Ultra Limited. Both great bikes.
I have owned Harleys for the past 25 years, and Hondas since 1968 (OK, it was my older brother's bike, a 50cc step-thru). I threw in the occasional BMW, Yamaha, and Kawasaki for good measure. I have had a blast on them all.

I rode my 1999 Harley Low Rider all over Europe without a single hiccup...and I ran the hell out of it on the Autobahns at speeds that should have caused the engine to explode according to some on this board. I have taken my various Electra Glides and Super Glides all over the USA as well, with nary a problem.

I guess when you sell as many bikes as Harley, the law of averages suggests there may be some issues with some of the bikes. The Harley dealer network is incredible however, and their customer service is usually world class.
On the other hand, Honda service and sales are amateurish at best (in my opinion).

My Ultra Limited vibrates a bit at idle, but it is not as unbearable as I've seen described by some. Once underway, it is as smooth as any Goldwing, and ergonomically, it fits me like a glove (OK, not OJ's glove!).

I enjoy both of my bikes, and I'm sure I will purchase another Harley in the next couple of years, and likely a Honda as well. Waiting to see what happens with the Goldwings next year (probably nothing), or the F6Bs. Then again, the new BMW bagger (spy shots) has piqued my interest as well......

Greg O
08-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Only Harley i haven't owned is a knucklehead. New ones are OK(6 speed trans will not hold up) but the Motor company has become arrogant and dealers are impossible. Have 2 shovelheads and a 74'' sporty motor in a hardtail frame that is my daily transportation. Can buy everything for these after market-no HD. Trade in price is why I have the F6B now. 09 Roadglide broke(3 times) so I traded. Love the sound of a shovelhead. HD not as dependable as they should be for the money. The China/India thing is not good. HD shunned "outlaws" in the past but now wants to make millions selling the "lifestyle". Phoney. Still like shovels. JMO

15735.........Would Honda do this?........................Dickie

Honda is still pissed off about the Hiroshima think 73 years ago.

Old Ryder
08-17-2015, 07:14 AM
I never had the engine problems others seem to have. I did have to deal with the MM EFI from the early years to Fuel Injection. They are a nightmare. I just wanted out of the whole V Twin thing.

flat6bagger
08-17-2015, 08:30 AM
Honda is still pissed off about the Hiroshima think 73 years ago.

I would have to say I would be surprised if some Honda dealers did this also.
Typical.
Harley guys making a big flippin deal because 1 dealer for Harley did something positive.
Well supposedly they did it.
Who knows for sure?
It was a Facebook post for crying out loud.
I ride with Harley guys and they complain all the time about the service departments at the Harley clothing stores that have a few Harleys in them for sale.(that is all of what Harley dealers are anymore).

Doug

Greg O
08-17-2015, 10:08 AM
I would have to say I would be surprised if some Honda dealers did this also.
Typical.
Harley guys making a big flippin deal because 1 dealer for Harley did something positive.
Well supposedly they did it.
Who knows for sure?
It was a Facebook post for crying out loud.
I ride with Harley guys and they complain all the time about the service departments at the Harley clothing stores that have a few Harleys in them for sale.(that is all of what Harley dealers are anymore).

Doug

Doug, you are truly a Harley hater, do you hate Victorys and Indians too, or is just a V Twin thing. I have met a lot of good people when I was riding Harleys, also some unsavory ones too. Harley supports many charitys. I don't understand why you have such a bad taste in your mouth about Harley Davidson.

marmilia
08-17-2015, 03:23 PM
I like anything with two wheels and an engine.........

racer
08-17-2015, 03:30 PM
My last 3 bikes in the past 18 yrs were Harleys. They were solid bikes with no problems. My Fatboy dynoed at 96 Hp out of a 80 inch motor, with about 4 grand in motor work. It was a screamer, you can get horsepower out of Harleys. Would I buy another one, hell ya. Do l like my F6B hell ya.

HUH? Something doesn't smell right. If you spent $4k on an 80 incher, you should have had a big bore kit (a 95"). Cams, pipes and headwork don't cost $4k with labor. Add in a big bore kit, you can get there. If you spent 4k and ended up with 80", someone robbed you. :yikes:

racer
08-17-2015, 04:13 PM
I rode my 1999 Harley Low Rider all over Europe without a single hiccup...and I ran the hell out of it on the Autobahns at speeds that should have caused the engine to explode according to some on this board. ....

If it was a stock lowrider, you weren't going more than about 105 mph indicated. A hotrod 103 (105 hp) will do about 120 mph. Most stock hds won't see more than 105 - 110 mph.

I wouldn't expect your low rider to explode, but if you ran it hard enough and long enough, you probably wore some engine oil.

It is a known issue.

I have personally seen an 88" stock heritage puke oil all over the engine after running high sustained speed, we were running around 85 mph for an extended time. Also happened on a built 95" on a different occasion for the same reason.

the problem is the continuous rise and fall of the air pressure in the crankcase, cam chest and rocker boxes. That the pressure changes are caused by large volume of air moving in and out of the crankcase as the pistons travel up and down. As a result of this air flow and the changes in pressure in the cam chest, air also flows in and out of the rocker boxes through the cylinder head oil drain passages. At sustained high speeds the constant in and out flow of air in the rocker boxes interrupts the free flow of oil from the cylinder heads to the cam chest . In fact a small quantity of oil, pushed up and down by the pressure changes, is trapped in the drain passage, effectively blocking the passage so that no oil can drain out of the rocker boxes . When enough oil has accumulated in the rocker boxes, it will start to blow out the breather passage to the air cleaner and ends up all over your bike, your passengers new boots, and in extreme cases on your rear tire .

Reason for Oil Blow By: More air is displaced by the ascending and descending pistons when a 95" and larger kits have been installed, simply because there's bigger pistons moving up and down. Sustained high rpm riding aggravates blow by because more oil is being pumped into the engine since the pump is turning faster. The rocker boxes become overwhelmed with too much oil that it cannot separate the oil from the escaping air. Some stock displacement engines have oil blow-by problems even when ridden moderately, but that is not the norm. Blow-by does not happen immediately because the oil buildup that causes it takes time to occur. That's why blow-by sometimes doesn't occur until after sustained high-speed riding.

But there is a fix:

TP Engineering has addressed the issue with their engines and Twin Cam models as well as all 1992 and later EVO big twins, and 19991-2003 EVO Sportsters. You can read about TP’s $900 solution at
http://www.tpeng.com/rockerbox.html

Some pictures of the TP Rocker Boxes in this Hot Bike article: http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0303hb_cam/

Ride your Harley within the speed limits and it will never experience this.

I ride with Harleys and have for years. They definitely break. Not everyone will experience failure, but plenty do. I will readily admit that they have little or no trouble if left stock and ridden accordingly. Start "building" them and ride accordingly and they seem to develop issues.

Nothing wrong with Harleys, there are just a lot of better motorcycles available.

hardtail
08-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Anything done for veterans is a great thing. I applaud this dealer for any effort in that capacity. Would be nice if all dealers would do this!!

Greg O
08-17-2015, 05:59 PM
HUH? Something doesn't smell right. If you spent $4k on an 80 incher, you should have had a big bore kit (a 95"). Cams, pipes and headwork don't cost $4k with labor. Add in a big bore kit, you can get there. If you spent 4k and ended up with 80", someone robbed you. :yikes:

First off the bike started off as a 80 inch EVO motor. The motor was pulled and the cases were split and bored and stroked with a new cam, because evo's don't have 2 cams. There were no kits back in the 90's and it had new heads carb intake and exhaust and it was 4 grand with all the machining and assembly. My last bike was a twin cam and ran flawlessly, but do to back problems I had to sell it. What bothers me is people slamming people who ride Harleys and people who ride other bikes. We are all cyclist whether we dress like a pirate or a stunt rider.

flat6bagger
08-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Doug, you are truly a Harley hater, do you hate Victorys and Indians too, or is just a V Twin thing. I have met a lot of good people when I was riding Harleys, also some unsavory ones too. Harley supports many charitys. I don't understand why you have such a bad taste in your mouth about Harley Davidson.

You are correct.
I am a Harley hater.

"do you hate Victorys and Indians too,"

I have no opinion on Victorys or Indians because I never owned either of those brands.
Therefore,I never had to work on,push one for miles or take one in for constant repairs.

"or is it a V Twin thing."

Incase you didn't know,Victorys and Indians are also V Twins.
Harley is not the only V Twin engine.
Moto Guzzi is a V Twin also,just put in sideways.

"I don't understand why you have such a bad taste in your mouth about Harley Davidson."

Because I did nothing but work on,push for miles or run back and forth to the dealer for repairs when I owned (3) of them.

"Harley supports many charitys"

So what?
You make it sound like other manufacturers don't?

Here is my opinion.
Harley Davidson is more about a created image than it is a quality motorcycle builder.
Go into a Harley shop and what is it mostly about?
T shirts,leathers,gifts like mugs,etc. and accessories.

Then their are the posers.
That would take up too much of my time.

In conclusion..

Ride what you want.

Ride with who you want.
That is your choice.

I don't condemn someone for buying one just because I won't.
For the record..
I ride almost every trip I go on with Harley guys.
They give me more crap about my "Jap" bike than I ever have to them about their Harleys.
They also know exactly how I feel about Harleys.
They ride with me because of me.
Not because of what brand I ride.
They are not posers.
They ride 400-600 mile day rides for lunch.
They also put on about 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year on one.
They a religious about maintanance.
I respect them for that.
They all have told me they expect to trade them about every 2-3 years so they don't care about warranties or breakdowns.

By the way,if you think they are so wonderful,then why did you buy a F6B?

Doug

Greg O
08-17-2015, 07:14 PM
You are correct.
I am a Harley hater.

"do you hate Victorys and Indians too,"

I have no opinion on Victorys or Indians because I never owned either of those brands.
Therefore,I never had to work on,push one for miles or take one in for constant repairs.

"or is it a V Twin thing."

Incase you didn't know,Victorys and Indians are also V Twins.
Harley is not the only V Twin engine.
Moto Guzzi is a V Twin also,just put in sideways.

"I don't understand why you have such a bad taste in your mouth about Harley Davidson."

Because I did nothing but work on,push for miles or run back and forth to the dealer for repairs when I owned (3) of them.

"Harley supports many charitys"

So what?
You make it sound like other manufacturers don't?

Here is my opinion.
Harley Davidson is more about a created image than it is a quality motorcycle builder.
Go into a Harley shop and what is it mostly about?
T shirts,leathers,gifts like mugs,etc. and accessories.

Then their are the posers.
That would take up too much of my time.

In conclusion..

Ride what you want.

Ride with who you want.
That is your choice.

I don't condemn someone for buying one just because I won't.
For the record..
I ride almost every trip I go on with Harley guys.
They give me more crap about my "Jap" bike than I ever have to them about their Harleys.
They also know exactly how I feel about Harleys.
They ride with me because of me.
Not because of what brand I ride.
They are not posers.
They ride 400-600 mile day rides for lunch.
They also put on about 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year on one.
They a religious about maintanance.
I respect them for that.
They all have told me they expect to trade them about every 2-3 years so they don't care about warranties or breakdowns.

By the way,if you think they are so wonderful,then why did you buy a F6B?

Doug

I have rode many different manufacturers of bikes, I chose the Honda Goldwing F6B because I new I could no longer ride a Harley due to the vibration. I wanted to try riding again and did not want to throw down 25 grand to find out it bothers my back. I could have bought any bike I wanted. I like the ride of Honda and I do miss my Harley like a lot of people on this forum. But after hearing all the negative comments on the Honda dealership service competency, I sure hope the bike is as reliable as their cars. I would also ride with anybody that had a bike as long as they rode safe, didn't matter what type bike they rode. No Harley snob here. Harleys did suck in the 70's and 80's but from the 90's on they make good bikes but they do require more maintenance than a Honda.

shooter
08-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Greg I don't like Harleys either. Now I don't care how many you own. Personally $25,000 plus for a slow azz machine is too much for me. I demand performance for my money. You know Greg , this is the thing. This is an F6B forum. Around here the F6B is King. A lot of us own other bikes. I have an extremely nice M109R. However you don't hear me extolling its virtues on here. I may mention it in reference , but , around here the F6B is King. That's why its called the F6B Forum. Don't expect very many guys to climb on the HD train on this forum. You will have to go to an HD forum to find that. I have two Brother in laws that ride HD's. Without a doubt my two best friends. We just agree to disagree. When we all ride together we are just family. They know I'm never gonna ride a HD. They always ask me to lead , out of respect. I'm the oldest. They never try to go around either. We settled that a long time ago. No Greg , guys like Doug can hate a HD if they want. This is a Honda site. Dedicated to the F6B. If you love Harleys that much they have forums of their own.

Greg O
08-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Greg I don't like Harleys either. Now I don't care how many you own. Personally $25,000 plus for a slow azz machine is too much for me. I demand performance for my money. You know Greg , this is the thing. This is an F6B forum. Around here the F6B is King. A lot of us own other bikes. I have an extremely nice M109R. However you don't hear me extolling its virtues on here. I may mention it in reference , but , around here the F6B is King. That's why its called the F6B Forum. Don't expect very many guys to climb on the HD train on this forum. You will have to go to an HD forum to find that. I have two Brother in laws that ride HD's. Without a doubt my two best friends. We just agree to disagree. When we all ride together we are just family. They know I'm never gonna ride a HD. They always ask me to lead , out of respect. I'm the oldest. They never try to go around either. We settled that a long time ago. No Greg , guys like Doug can hate a HD if they want. This is a Honda site. Dedicated to the F6B. If you love Harleys that much they have forums of their own.

I also own A F6B and love how it performs or I would not have bought it. I have learned a lot on this forum and enjoy reading everyone's take on different things. I did not start this thread, I am only responding to comments made in this thread, because I have had many years of experience riding Harleys. I also feel Honda gives you the most bang for the buck, but there is still something in my heart for a Harley, and now it's time for me to move on from this subject.

motozeke
08-17-2015, 08:47 PM
David Allen Coe and myself are 100% in agreement here. This is why I am now riding a Honda Goldwing F6B. The new Harleys are just that as he says.... :icon_mrgreen: If it aint a Shovel. Pan or older than it aint a Harley. I'd rather build an S&S with a 4 speed Baker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_U4FvI5LnY

They drink the koolaide and the old timers just laugh and mock, they don't even know cause theyre sloshed on beer and koolaide :icon_doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYXRS1YB6bg

This is just another version of the Harley snobbery... complaining about yuppies buying Harleys and how they are just "weekend riders." In other words, "you don't belong in my club." Eff that baloney, I don't look down my nose at anybody who rides. Sometimes I get mad at people who put themselves and others in unnecessary danger because they underdress and/or ride past their limits, but I don't judge based upon what you ride, or how often you ride, or how much or how little you spent on your bike. What's the point?

53driver
08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
I actually mixed sound for him at the Iron Horse a few years back.....

Old Ryder
08-18-2015, 06:53 AM
I traded it for an Ultra Classic. I could fix anything on it with basic tools. EVO with high compression heads, Andrews cam, etc.....It sat in a barn in Georgia for years after the owner died covered in dirt and was about 85% restored when I traded it. It was not comfortable with the hard mounted engine and I would have to work on something every 1K miles and if I could only have one bike, this would NOT be it, but I sure would love to have it back to ride as a novelty15805158041580315802. BTW---- yes that is 20 year old paint!

racer
08-18-2015, 11:16 AM
First off the bike started off as a 80 inch EVO motor. The motor was pulled and the cases were split and bored and stroked with a new cam, because evo's don't have 2 cams. There were no kits back in the 90's and it had new heads carb intake and exhaust and it was 4 grand with all the machining and assembly. My last bike was a twin cam and ran flawlessly, but do to back problems I had to sell it. What bothers me is people slamming people who ride Harleys and people who ride other bikes. We are all cyclist whether we dress like a pirate or a stunt rider.

Thanks. How many cubes did you end up with after bore/stroke? 95?

Airborne06
08-18-2015, 12:32 PM
This is just another version of the Harley snobbery... complaining about yuppies buying Harleys and how they are just "weekend riders." In other words, "you don't belong in my club." Eff that baloney, I don't look down my nose at anybody who rides. Sometimes I get mad at people who put themselves and others in unnecessary danger because they underdress and/or ride past their limits, but I don't judge based upon what you ride, or how often you ride, or how much or how little you spent on your bike. What's the point?

Can anyone explain why anybody should give a flying **** what D.A.C. thinks about new vs. old Harleys or anything else for that matter? His opinion is his opinion. Personally, I don't care. :nono:

Airborne06
08-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Yes, stock Lowrider. Didn't burn any appreciable oil. Some on this board claim (or mistakenly think) Harley will explode if you ride them long and hard. Mine didn't. Sold it with 41,000 on the odometer, and it was still running great.

Greg O
08-18-2015, 12:38 PM

I don't recall you cant bore evo's too much, not enough material, but you can stroke them with new crank and heads. 84 or 86 comes to mind but I honestly can't remember it was back in the 90's.

Greg O
08-18-2015, 12:41 PM

The F6B will eat up and spit out any Harley I have ever owned, and do it as smooth as silk.

pdxstriper
08-18-2015, 12:51 PM
New rider, started late in life, currently ride a BMW but looking at a F6B as long haul cruiser.

But I ride a lot, with lots of other makes of bikes. One observation: the only bikes to fail on a ride have been Harleys. The problems are usually electrical in nature. Probably 6-8 failures on 100 or so rides.

So yeah, that's my $0.02 worth.

khahn
08-18-2015, 02:21 PM
First, to answer the question, yes I like Harleys.
Now for an observation, Harley has amazing presence in the market place. I have never visited a non Harley bike forum that has not had threads of this genre, or at least had Harley as its topic, simply amazing.
Will I ever buy another one, well never say never, but I really don't think so.

flat6bagger
08-18-2015, 03:13 PM
There are only two reasons why someone would post anything about a Harley on a non Harley forum that I can think of.

1) To stir up sh!t

2) Because they are bored and have a lot of time to kill while they are waiting for either another piece of chrome to be installed or something fixed while at their Harley Gods temple.(dealership)

For whatever reason it is BS.
Then again,what do you expect from someone who will spend $35,000-45,000 for an outdated technological turd of a motorcycle,wears full leathers,gloves,boots and a bandanna as a helmet in 100+ heat.
Now I am done with this subject.
I have a headache from just thinking about this crap.

Doug

racer
08-18-2015, 03:29 PM
I don't recall you cant bore evo's too much, not enough material, but you can stroke them with new crank and heads. 84 or 86 comes to mind but I honestly can't remember it was back in the 90's.

With the stock flywheel I believe you can get to 84" with stock cylinders and 88" with sleeved cylinders.

Brian D
08-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Now it's my turn to stir the pot. I don't think anyone is singing the praises of harley. People just responded to a thread and answered the question " do any of you like Harley Davidson "

Personally I like the looks and sound of a harley. I have owned Japanese V twins and put loud exhausts on them and sorry die hards but Harley's sound so much better. And the japs have been copying the look of harley since I was in high school and my dad brought home this 1988 Honda vt1100. Damn good bike but imatated a softtail. Are Harley's the best? Who knows!! Are Hondas the best? Who knows. Honestly I could really give two shits about what joe blow rides or how he dresses or any of that stuff. Ride what your wallet says you can ride. Your cool in my eyes even if ya ride a Vespa.

Yes I like Harley Davidson to re answer the question. Even though my 13 roadglide was the biggest pile of crap ever assembled in the U.S

And yes even though I'm having some fitment issue with the f6. It's a awesome bike and I enjoy spanking those stunningly good looking harleys

Old Ryder
08-19-2015, 06:51 AM
Now it's my turn to stir the pot. I don't think anyone is singing the praises of harley. People just responded to a thread and answered the question " do any of you like Harley Davidson "

Personally I like the looks and sound of a harley. I have owned Japanese V twins and put loud exhausts on them and sorry die hards but Harley's sound so much better. And the japs have been copying the look of harley since I was in high school and my dad brought home this 1988 Honda vt1100. Damn good bike but imatated a softtail. Are Harley's the best? Who knows!! Are Hondas the best? Who knows. Honestly I could really give two shits about what joe blow rides or how he dresses or any of that stuff. Ride what your wallet says you can ride. Your cool in my eyes even if ya ride a Vespa.

Yes I like Harley Davidson to re answer the question. Even though my 13 roadglide was the biggest pile of crap ever assembled in the U.S

And yes even though I'm having some fitment issue with the f6. It's a awesome bike and I enjoy spanking those stunningly good looking harleys

If you look real close at this picture, you can see the Valkyrie Interstate in the garage. While they are different, it is possible to like Harley and Honda and they can peacefully share a garage. For a little while at least. :shock:3313

BTW---Since I got the B, one of the bikes left on my VERY SHORT BUCKET LIST is and EVO Heritage Springer. again, it would be a novelty and not a primary.

khahn
08-19-2015, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=Old Ryder;92188] While they are different, it is possible to like Harley and Honda and they can peacefully share a garage.

+1 I can love the smooth powerful engine in the F6B and still appreciate the raucous thrashing of the Harley. Each scratches a different itch.

fl1madmax
08-19-2015, 07:42 AM
If you look real close at this picture, you can see the Valkyrie Interstate in the garage. While they are different, it is possible to like Harley and Honda and they can peacefully share a garage. For a little while at least. :shock:15827

BTW---Since I got the B, one of the bikes left on my VERY SHORT BUCKET LIST is and EVO Heritage Springer. again, it would be a novelty and not a primary.

Some times ya just need to ride something different, I have a 2013 Harley Dyna Low Rider, 103, Light, Fast ( for a twin ) and looks good, Pipes and you set to go, but when I want to do 300-400 miles a day I'm on F6B, with Ultimate seat, , when I need a RUSH, beyond the Honda I'm on my Z1000
Kaw, still cant do first 3 gears to Red Line, just freaks me out, 105mph in third !!!!! have to shift and it still wants to rip my hands off handle bars.......
One for Speed, one for Bar hoping, and F6B is my favorite, riding thru the mountains of NE Ga. AUH !!!!!!!!! The Thrill

JetBlackWing
08-19-2015, 04:33 PM
I had an old hardtail panhead years ago, and threaten to sell my Yamaha 920 Virago and Panhead, then buy a Heritage softail in the late 80s, but just couldn't do it knowing that engine was solid mounted to the frame (bad for comfort and durability). Now days I think most of them are soft mounted, but the other manufactures have really nice large options to choose from, and mainly due to the extra heavy weight, and awful clutch pack design on the left of the transmission, I still at least a couple issues away from choosing a Harley brand bike. My last choice was the Yamaha Stratoliner 1900.

luisjromero
08-22-2015, 04:04 AM
I have been riding HD for 20 years, and yes, I like them but when discovered the f6b...my heart changed.

its impossible for me to dislike my Harley....

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Sure. They are just a different animal.
I'm blessed to also own a 09 Street Glide. It's loaded and is about a 105 with motor work. Fun to ride and just did a 2k mile, 2 up trip in 100 + degree weather and it never missed a beat.
Thank you brother.
Jim

Steve 0080
08-23-2015, 12:31 PM
I uncovered the big dog, wiped her down, threw a leg and went to the Keys.....gone 5 days, not one hiccup!!! The cruise was great! The ride is better than my F6, different seating arrangement can't say better but different...I did have one mechanical failure. The cigarette lighter after 12 years gave up the ghost from a downpour rainstorm...replaced it already!!! The paint, well it still looks new after all these years !!!!! I posted some pic's so I would not get yelled at....John.

Willl
08-24-2015, 02:26 PM
+1 on the:

Bike
Food
Sunset
Road Trip

:clap2:

dickiedeals
08-24-2015, 02:56 PM
My Harley riding buddy who purchased a 2015 Ultra something or other who razzes me all the time about having a more valuable superior machine (His words not mine) to my F6B. In the name of friendship I just smile...He went into his garage to get on his Harley to go to work today only to find a 14" diameter puddle of oil under it on the primary side.. We are talking this issue before the first service.... The dealer is coming to get it tomorrow to see whats wrong with it.. I'm sure they will fix it....

Hum lets see 2013 F6BD $18,400 out the door 19,000 miles only scheduled maintenance.Good for 250,000 miles or more, so quick it never fails to make you smile. 2015 HD Ultra Some thing or other $34,000 out the door. This I know cause I was there when he signed the papers, less than 5000 miles pissing oil on the floor..Can't keep up with me if I don't allow him to.. You decide......................Dickie:yikes:

Cool Hand Luke
08-24-2015, 07:03 PM
My Harley riding buddy who purchased a 2015 Ultra something or other who razzes me all the time about having a more valuable superior machine (His words not mine) to my F6B. In the name of friendship I just smile...He went into his garage to get on his Harley to go to work today only to find a 14" diameter puddle of oil under it on the primary side.. We are talking this issue before the first service.... The dealer is coming to get it tomorrow to see whats wrong with it.. I'm sure they will fix it....

Hum lets see 2013 F6BD $18,400 out the door 19,000 miles only scheduled maintenance.Good for 250,000 miles or more, so quick it never fails to make you smile. 2015 HD Ultra Some thing or other $34,000 out the door. This I know cause I was there when he signed the papers, less than 5000 miles pissing oil on the floor..Can't keep up with me if I don't allow him to.. You decide......................Dickie:yikes:

Yeah, but they sure are purty... If I was only buying based on looks alone:

2016 HD Softail Slim S

So what if it pees on the floor more often than your dog :icon_doh: ?

hardtail
08-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Marking their territory-just like the dog!!

opas ride
08-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Neighbor down the road from me bought a 2014 Ultra Classic HD last summer from a local dealer..Says he paid about $26,500 o-t-d and feels he got a great bike/deal..Thing is now back to dealer for the 4th time for warranty claims, from oil leaks, coolant leaks, etc. etc. and now the transmission is "goofed"....What a deal!!!!.....NO thanks Mr. Davidson and Co........

hardtail
08-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Transmission problems was the reason I gave up my 09 Road Glide. 69000 miles but the trans. broke the same bearing 3 times. poor design and HD knows it. I feel for your friend. Been there.

Brian D
08-25-2015, 05:04 AM
Man for every 1 harley that I hear with no problems. I hear 5 stories of oil leaks tranny prob. Elec problems. Somebody slap me for wanting to get another road glide. Makes me wonder if the ones that aren't having problems are really true. Think I better start adding mods to make my f6 more tall guy friendly

willtill
08-25-2015, 05:52 AM
Gotta tell ya's... when I was contemplating a new bike; the contenders were the F6B and either a new HD Street Glide or Road Glide.

Never ever owned nor even rode a Harley Davidson before. So I thoroughly investigated them. For weeks.

So many complaints about Harley's on the web; and that was just for the new ones. No thanks. Went with the Honda. Almost zero complaints; and those complaints were about the new water based soft paint.

Went with Matte silver. No complaints here. :icon_cool:

seadog
08-25-2015, 05:57 AM
Is why would I spend that much money to go that slow! Enough said.

Old Ryder
08-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I uncovered the big dog, wiped her down, threw a leg and went to the Keys.....gone 5 days, not one hiccup!!! The cruise was great! The ride is better than my F6, different seating arrangement can't say better but different...I did have one mechanical failure. The cigarette lighter after 12 years gave up the ghost from a downpour rainstorm...replaced it already!!! The paint, well it still looks new after all these years !!!!! I posted some pic's so I would not get yelled at....John.

Steve that 03 Ultra Peace Officer Edition looks very familar. Mine was a 2000. Took that bad boy all over the southeast.

Steve 0080
08-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Old Ryder, yup it is an 03...never had a wrench on it for some ill.... so far items to fail would be a cigarette lighter, and the seat is looking a little worn...seat goes in the shop of 09/17 and it will be as good as new again.... maybe $250 in needed repairs in 12 years...not so bad...and it sits for months at a time!!! Brother n law, riding it, TDY from Germany last year... It may be me but sure seems like they used to build them better... But then again the LEO and Fire edition get more care in the build process...

racer
08-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Posted this in another thread..

I thought I loved my F6B until last night.

Finally ran up against a fast HD, we went at it from a 30 mph roll. I led him until fourth gear when he caught me and pulled ahead by about 15 feet, we both hit 5th and there we stayed, 15 feet apart to 116 mph when he let off so I did as well. Neither of us were gaining or losing an inch.

Repeated the test once more with exactly the same result. He thought he was letting up at 120.

I am now MADLY in love with this thing. A stone stock F6B, all 800 lbs plus of factory bagger, losing by 15 feet to an after-market 131" Jims V-twin stuffed into a heritage soft tail. A $12,000 upgrade with labor.

My God! I thought that beast would just leave me in the dust. But the humble 6 just hung right there with it.

AMAZING!

And the witness, a 2007 110" CVO was so far behind he couldn't tell who was leading who and absolutely amazed that the 131" didn't run away and hide from me!

Cool Hand Luke
08-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Well, I have recently sold my HD that was absolutely faster than my F6B. Stock. It handled great, too. People forget that HD has been making this bike for 15 years now and still does.

It is a 2009 HD VROD MUSCLE VRSCF. Of course it is highly customized but that was the fun part. I was able to correct the only shortcoming of the bike, the ergonomics. It was all day comfortable to me. Very reliable, I would say the best bike HD builts.

I rode it for a few years and sold it with over 30,000 miles on it. Just felt it was time to move on. Awesome bike.

BIGLRY
08-27-2015, 08:16 PM
Well, I have recently sold my HD that was absolutely faster than my F6B. Stock. It handled great, too. People forget that HD has been making this bike for 15 years now and still does.

It is a 2009 HD VROD MUSCLE VRSCF. Of course it is highly customized but that was the fun part. I was able to correct the only shortcoming of the bike, the ergonomics. It was all day comfortable to me. Very reliable, I would say the best bike HD builts.

I rode it for a few years and sold it with over 30,000 miles on it. Just felt it was time to move on. Awesome bike.Ah yes the $16500, Liquid cooled H-D with engine designed by Porch, it ain't no air cooled V-twin, tractor engine that one thinks of when H-D is mentioned, quick, fast and what H-D drag races, uncomfortable as hell stock IMHO.
That is a fine looking steed you had there:yes:

Cool Hand Luke
08-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Ah yes the $16500, Liquid cooled H-D with engine designed by Porch, it ain't no air cooled V-twin, tractor engine that one thinks of when H-D is mentioned, quick, fast and what H-D drag races, uncomfortable as hell stock IMHO.
That is a fine looking steed you had there:yes:

That's correct! It was definitely uncomfortable stock. I have raised handlebars 2.5" and it's pulled back 2.5", seat is Rusell Day Long which also changed the seating position adding more leg room and reducing reach to bars. Fairing did great job at air management as well as Baker Air Wings lowers. Had a throttle lock. Bags were a good size and waterproof. Not much room for passenger but I ride solo so no problem.

I was very disappointed that HD didn't yet put this awesome engine, transmission and frame into a touring oriented bike. They would have sold a bunch, probably mostly to Non-HD customers, which would have been great for the brand. Seems like they are very afraid to loose their core customers by trying a different direction.

Maybe most people are not aware but HD has been collaborating with Porsche for their engine designs for a long time. Remember HD Nova, a V4 engined concept bike? HD seriously considered at the time to continue in this direction instead of V Twin. This engine was designed by Porsche as well. In fact, the reason they didn't switch to V4 was money. It was cheaper to continue with V Twin they already had than to change. Also, HD turned to Porsche yet again for help in designing the old tried and true Evo 80 inch engine. And again, Porsche and HD worked together on designing the Twin Cam engine as well. So, this has indeed been a long time business relationship.

VRod engine was probably completely designed by Porsche. Not sure if everyone knows, but VRod has metric bolts on the engine and some other parts, but not all.

I bought it to ride while staying in Florida. My HD Road King Classic at the time was throwing way to much heat on my legs during Florida's summer. I thought water cooled engine should do better, and I was right. Also, very little vibration on VRSCF. And the stock slipper clutch made for easy take offs.

I have recently switched to Victory Cross Country and I love it. It fits me great, handles wonderful and is very comfortable. The price was amazing I just couldn't turn it down and bike is like new, only had 1,300 miles when I bought it. I do like cruisers a lot.

racer
08-31-2015, 09:57 AM

I rode it for a few years and sold it with over 30,000 miles on it. Just felt it was time to move on. Awesome bike.

Yup. The vrod is the only hd I'd consider. But it isn't a tourer. I don't know of a quicker factory bagger out there than the 6. Like I tell the HD guys... the F6B is a TRUE bagger. They aren't just bolted on accessories.

If I was in the market for a hotrod cruiser to replace my VTX1800- it would probably be a used Rocket3 Roadster or a used V-max.

opas ride
08-31-2015, 04:23 PM
I don't dislike Harley's at all...I just don't want to own one!!!!

Stevvvo
01-01-2016, 05:13 PM
To your original question and a simple answer....the reason I switched...and I have owned a few harleys, is the fact they are unwilling to increase the travel in their suspension which will drive your spinal cord into your brain if you hit a bump just right. They only have 2 inches of travel in the rear. Was hoping when they revamped the RoadGlide, which was my last bike, they would upgrade the suspension. NOT....they changed the suspension but did not increase the travel....WTF!! I tolerated it for a while because I really do like riding harleys but the last time I hit bump in that way....I said that's it...I'm done....Plus when I saw two F6B's at a biker bar last year and everyone was surrounding them like moths to a flame, I said "I gotta have one of these!!!"

seadog
01-01-2016, 05:33 PM
The Jap bikes have always been technology driven, to make it the nicest and best handling bikes on the market. I had two 750-4 Honda road bikes back in the early days and they were the nicest rides on the planet back then, my M109R was a nice ride but getting older I wanted something fast and smooth and a lot less noisy. Harleys are alright for the Harley crowd but the technology just doesn't trip my trigger. The problems they have are not too my liking either, my buddy bought a big money 2013 Road King and it was in the shop before he even had 5000 miles on it. I will just stick with the Honda from here on out.

shooter
01-01-2016, 05:42 PM
I know that power and handling isn't everything , but what else is there?? When I'm out riding I like knowing that there isn't much out there on the road that I take a backseat to. I wouldn't like knowing that I'm in the middle or lower end. That's just me.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-01-2016, 06:25 PM
I know that power and handling isn't everything , but what else is there?? When I'm out riding I like knowing that there isn't much out there on the road that I take a backseat to. I wouldn't like knowing that I'm in the middle or lower end. That's just me.

+1
I'm also blessed to have a Harley SG with motor work.
My HD buds don't usually want talk about what bike is....

Fla_rider
01-01-2016, 07:52 PM
No, I tired to think about this many of times and still I hate Harley's! I guess the main reason would be that every Harley rider thinks they are riding the best bike in the world and you can't tell them otherwise.

ghost
01-01-2016, 10:29 PM
I've mostly owned H-D. Enjoyed them all. Like my F6B better... for now. You either love motorcycles or you don't. I'd own one of most everything if I could!

gandydancer
01-02-2016, 01:38 PM
"Would own one of everything if I could"-- amen to that!!!!! with 49 years of riding I have mostly gone between HD`s and Honda with a couple of Kaw KLR650 and a Triumph in the mix---love them all but hard to stay away from that 6cly power---

rdeady
01-02-2016, 06:21 PM
I have an 07 Fatboy which I will keep alongside the F6B. My fatboy has had a bit of engine work done to it. It is pretty darn powerful in its own right. Im not sure which is faster! I do like the Fatboy as its loud and powerful but it is never great on any type of long rides or when I want to fly down a highway at 75 or 80 to get somewhere. Then it has buffeting and lots of vibration. I love this 2013 F6B I just picked up. Its Fast, sounds great (vance and hines monsters?), smooth as silk, handles like a giant sportbike. I had a honda cbr600 and a triumph street triple ,both very very fast and i was speeding like a maniac so I sold them to break the dangerous habit of going 100+ every time I got on them. Love this new bike!!! What a pleasure cruizing at 75 with no vibration at all. Harley will be sitting till summer but ill use the F6B till they salt the roads ,then it gets put away!

carpdm
01-02-2016, 07:48 PM
I have a 2008 Road King Classic. One of the best bikes I've ever owned.

willtill
01-03-2016, 07:51 AM
No, I tired to think about this many of times and still I hate Harley's! I guess the main reason would be that every Harley rider thinks they are riding the best bike in the world and you can't tell them otherwise.

When you have made a massive financial mistake; regarding the purchase of an inferior motorcycle, you tend to cover that up with false admiration and affirmation; lest you lose face over it.

Finding consolation within the rest of the thundering herd brings comfort; for misery loves company. :icon_wink:

114th COBRA
01-03-2016, 08:19 AM
When you have made a massive financial mistake; regarding the purchase of an inferior motorcycle, you tend to cover that up with false admiration and affirmation; lest you lose face over it.

Finding consolation within the rest of the thundering herd brings comfort; for misery loves company. :icon_wink:

NOW THAT IS FUNNY. :icon_lol: Even though I have owned a Harley, and love the sound, I love my F6B and wouldn't trade it for another Harley.

deacon
01-03-2016, 09:12 AM
last Harley I rode was a 1949. IT had a suicide clutch and a hand shifter.that was in 1965.looking at Harleys today it does not seem like much has changed,but I suppose that's the appeal?

opas ride
01-03-2016, 08:16 PM

You are right on my friend!!!...Talking to an HD rider about trying another motorcycle is like trying to "poke hot butter up a wildcats ass".......It just don't work.....I guess ignorance is bliss!!!....Ride safe

goldbeemer
01-03-2016, 10:04 PM
I was about to test ride a Dyna-Glide in the 1990's. Went to the Dealer in Seattle. The salesman pushed it outside for me and gave instructions on "how to ride it." He tried to start it, it only ran for about a half minute and then the HD emblem fell off the gas tank. The engine died and he could not start it again. The bike was pushed back into the store.....I was not impressed. Too many friends with Harleys have had continued problems. I don't want to be another statistic. I will not own one.

shooter
01-03-2016, 10:58 PM
I honestly don't have a problem with them. I don't own one so that's why. Two of my brother in laws have them. When we ride together they know they can't run with me. One of them has stage two squawking chicken. Whatever that is. All I know is the chicken can't fly like the Wing. They make fun of my Honda but they never try to pass and they always ask me to lead. They respect the Wing.

edgeman55
01-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Really don't have anything against Harley's as most of the guys I tend to ride with when I do a group ride have Harley's.My next door neighbor has a early model Dyna Glide with over 100K on it.Now it is burning a little oil but really he has not had many big repairs other then normal maint and tires over the 14 years I have known him.My only gripe is the noise and why they love to make as much as they can.They always wonder why I ride way in front or back on group rides to stay away from all that racket.Other then that I say what ever floats your boat and ride safe.

Old Ryder
01-05-2016, 08:39 AM
I do not hate Harleys. I am grateful to live in a place where I can choose to ride the bike of my choice and have the means to ride at all. Many people on this planet don't.

Most of my issues come from the people who ride Harleys and their attitude towards those who don't. Doesn't matter what you ride---it is the same wind in your face.

At this place in my life, the things that Honda and the B offer are what is important to me. Fifteen years ago, I loved to polish chrome and Peacock my style as all that chrome and noise dazzled the world---or so I thought it did.

Now my riding is about substance more than style--although I love to Peacock on the B, too. The less chrome, the better and the core Goldwing base is perfect for everything I want.

But--back to Harley and why people love/like them. This is what help attract me to them. The technology is very antiquated and the HD customer base wants it that way. HD is having a hard time making power and reliability with a 100 year old design and keeping the EPA happy at the same time. The EVO engine was their break through, but emissions standards killed it then they needed to change to EFI to keep up. However, there are people who like to see gears turn and the sight and distinctive sound of a lot of moving mechanical parts will mesmerize them. Then make it where they can crawl aboard and actually ride the large assembly of moving parts with it's belts/ pulleys/ gears/ tires/ spokes, etc.... Then you add a boatload of "shiney, sparkley chrome" and they view it as special. I liken it to guys who love a Mustang. Lots of gearheads would love a 68 Mustang V8. Like Harley, it is an old design that does not steer or ride as good and the performance is not even close to what the new V6 engine can produce and the seats and driving position is not really comfortable and most cars back then had the manual choke and ignition points were just not dependable at all. You car not starting was a regular event. But the original design and the V8 rumble has an attraction that is hard to match with even the newest and latest engineering. After saying all of that, go see what one of those old, undependable, bad riding and terrible handling V8 68 Mustangs sell for and why do people want them???????????? Most would say it is because they always wanted one as a teen and could not afford one then. Same could be said about Harley.

:2cents: Just my 2 cents worth

Steve 0080
01-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Very true ! I have a couple of die hard H.D. friends... the next to last trip, we left a guy in NC to wait on a injector for his and the last trip a friend put his in a pile for many reasons but one was the bike would not handle....

RickW
01-06-2016, 09:52 PM
We like all bikes no matter what it is or who is riding it. As long as you are out having fun and doing it safely it is all good.
Everyone has their own idea of what makes them happy. We wave to everyone and almost always they wave back, no matter which bikes we are riding. We have found people with attitudes riding all kinds of bikes.

I have had a flat six, (now an F6B) since 1998. Just about the whole time I have also had V-Twins. It is very difficult to compare the two.
The newer Harley's are much better then the older versions. We actually own a 2016 Ultra Classic Limited. It is a really nice bike and handles good but I did install Progressive 944 Shocks on it. If I could only have one bike it would be the F6B, but the Ultra Classic is a nice bike to go with it.
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12512528_10153938023979653_1136086161803774_n.jpg? oh=29afd39eac402408813e28bf0b1d14ce&oe=5711B2AE