PDA

View Full Version : Seat pads?

zeus661
08-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Trying to decide which seat pad fits the F6B best and provides comfort and air circulation. I do not want to purchase a new seat but would rather try a pad first. What has anyone tried and how is it attached? Thanks

hiflyer
08-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Trying to decide which seat pad fits the F6B best and provides comfort and air circulation. I do not want to purchase a new seat but would rather try a pad first. What has anyone tried and how is it attached? Thanks

I've had three seats on my bike, and now have the stock one back on. Over the week end I visited my local dealer and bought an Air Hawk. I plan to use it on road trips occasionally to change my seating position. I don't plan on attaching it to the seat, I will just throw it on (or take it off) at gas stops. All the guys I know that have this, or similar, don't attach it to the bike, they just sit on it.

Hornblower
08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
I've used both sheepskin pads and Air Hawks. Either works to make the seat more comfortable. One downside for me has been adding a pad raises the seat height. With my 30" inseam, that matters. Also, depending on where you park, there's always the possibility of someone stealing your pad. Never left my sheepskin out in the rain but I imagine it would hold water :shrug:.

jakec
08-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I use Aqua Aire for long distance.

d-shark
08-04-2014, 03:05 PM
I have approximately 13,000 miles on the stock seat since purchasing my F6B one year ago. I have done many 200 mile legs between fuel stops riding up to 800 miles a day. I find the stock seat very comfortable in combination with my Mick-O-Pegs that allow me to get my feet out and down low to distribute weight to the back side of my thighs. I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall with 34 inch inseam.

During summer months I use the beaded seat covers by Beadrider.com. I've had Air Hawk, Sheep skin and Gel pads and nothing comes close to the Beadrider for me. Keeps your rear dry in hot weather, easy to shift your weight around on (your hot sweaty rear end does not stick to the seat) and they are cool to sit on after your bike has baked in the sun. They also prevent you from sitting in a puddle of water when it rains and keeps your rear end dry if your seat requires a couple of days to dry out after being in the rain.

zeus661
08-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Any issue with the beads wearing the seat?

Fla_rider
08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah, if only I had a 34" inseam, but like most of us on the forum we're vertically challenged. I'm on my tippy toes as it is. Beads will just take me further away from the road. Speaking of that highway pegs would have to be within a foot of the driver pegs or I'm not reaching them either. I could put the pegs on the fairing lower!:yikes:

DaWadd
08-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Been using an AirHawk and it feels better than just the stock seat. Raises me up a bit though.

Cool Hand Luke
08-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Another testimonial for Airhawk cushion! I had mine for a long time, originally bought for who knows which bike. Here is a picture of it on my stock seat from last year:

It definitely works, just remember you don't fully inflate it, just a little bit. I believe it raised me about 3/4".

However, this year I installed Mustang seat. Initially I used the Airhawk on top of it during longer rides. Then I tried just the seat. Felt fine, so I don't use the cushion any more! However, I am going to keep the Airhawk for my other bikes.

Also, the cushion has a non slip back so I just throw it on the seat and never used the straps. The cushion stays put. I just take it off when not using it. Another plus is if your seat gets wet while parked outside in rain then just put the Airhawk over it and ride dry.

In addition, when hot outside the cushion does not heat up like the seat does as it has a different cover material than the seat (not vinyl or leather).

six2go
08-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I'm also trying to make the OEM seat work for the long term. I have a collection of "seat toppers" that I have accumulated over the years. I have an AirHawk, A sheep skin pad from Aerostich, and a beaded one that I made from one intended for a car. I'll use any one of them alone, or sometimes I will put the sheep skin on top of the AirHawk. Anything to change the pressure points on a trip.

Having said that, I am going to Franklin and hope to see(and sit on) the common after market seats available.

d-shark
08-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Any issue with the beads wearing the seat?

No issues with Beads wearing the seat so far. Sand & grit will tend to collect under the beads so I wipe that off the seat every couple of days with a cloth by simply raising the beads.

decubitus
08-06-2014, 03:43 PM
One of the best purchases I ever made at the Harley store is their large seat pad. It's only about 1/3" thick, made of some kind of mesh and works very well. I'm 5'7". The rise is barely noticeable. I've been using it on my Road Glide Ultra for a couple of years. Now I use it on the F6, too. Just throw it on top of the seat and climb aboard. Toss it in the bag when I get off the bike. It does cost about $90, but I think it is worth every penny as it gets very hot here in north Texas.

Richie
08-07-2014, 03:16 PM
One of the best purchases I ever made at the Harley store is their large seat pad. It's only about 1/3" thick, made of some kind of mesh and works very well. I'm 5'7". The rise is barely noticeable. I've been using it on my Road Glide Ultra for a couple of years. Now I use it on the F6, too. Just throw it on top of the seat and climb aboard. Toss it in the bag when I get off the bike. It does cost about $90, but I think it is worth every penny as it gets very hot here in north Texas.

Does this pad help mostly with the heat or does it also add comfort?

Does it slide around on the seat while riding and need to be reset at stop lights?

Do they also make one for the passenger seat as well?

Thanks Richie

decubitus
08-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Does it slide around on the seat while riding and need to be reset at stop lights?

Thanks Richie

Mostly for heat, but still comfortable.

It doesn't slide around. There is an elastic strap on the front that goes under the front "tounge" of the seat, but I never use it. I just set the pad on the seat and climb on.

Yes. They are all available at your local Harley stealership. Check out the Circulator Pads on this page...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/motorcycle-seat-pads-covers?rememberMe=true&categoryIdentifier=

Richie
08-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks so much...........Richie