PDA

View Full Version : 2013/2014 differences?

pvmarcon
08-04-2014, 08:38 PM
New to forum. Seriously considering purchasing a new or leftover new F6B. From what I can tell it looks like the rear wheel on the 14 is 17" compared to 16" on the 13 model. Also I read that the seat on 14 has been redesigned. Are there any other changes? Can get a great deal on a 2013, is it worth paying thousands more for the 14? Also have been reading about alot of unhappy current owners having paint issues.Any input would be appreciated, Thanks

opas ride
08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
I am not aware of any changes except color...No mention anywhere I have seen/read of wheel size differences or seat changes...Some have had minor paint issues, others have not...Paint issues seem to depend on what, or how, one uses polishes and waxes...Most seem to wait a while after purchasing bike then using 4/5 coats of Liquid Glass.....Great bike and I would not let paint issues prevent me from making a purchase...I had mine custom painted as I did not like the colors offered at the time, not because of any paint problems....Good Luck and I would get the 2013 as many dealers are offering great deals right now!!

pvmarcon
08-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Honda website shows wheel size differences check specs for both years

CheesyRider
08-04-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm going to get a '14 for two reasons:
1) The transmission was improved (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3339-Transmission-Question)
2) I'm pretty sure the yellow bikes actually have clear coat

I'm waiting until next year in the hopes that the '14s will be selling for the same amount the '13s are going for now. Plus, the soonest I'll have the money is late fall anyways.

FlatSixBagger
08-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Transmission 13 is terrible!

CheesyRider
08-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Honda website shows wheel size differences check specs for both years

That's weird. I just looked and I see rear wheels for 2013 (http://powersports.honda.com/touring/2013/gold-wing-f6b/specifications.aspx) and 2014 (http://powersports.honda.com/touring/2014/gold-wing-f6b/specifications.aspx) listed as 16".

richw56
08-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Pvmarcon - I've read that there were changes to the transmission, at least in part to address the occasional 'ghost shifting' issue that I've heard about with respect to Goldwings.
Keep in touch - I'm on LI, too (Massapequa). And another forum member, GONRDN (Mark) is from Holtsville.

CheesyRider - I think you might be on the right track - I have the '14 yellow deluxe, and haven't noticed any issues at all with either the transmission or the paint. I hope you can catch a break on one in the Fall!

Coop creek
08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
The rear tire on a 2014 is 180/60R 16M/C 74H
The wheel is 16" diameter

Scotrod
08-04-2014, 10:29 PM
:popcorn:

:icon_biggrin:

'popcorn and coke'

:shrug:

ED209
08-05-2014, 02:53 AM
Heck I thought they just changed the last digit in the year. And added the beautiful yellow color.

:popcorn:

'popcorn and coke' :lolup:

Jimmytee
08-05-2014, 04:59 AM
A couple of the reasons I bought the 13 was for price and the color Red. I'm glad I got the extra year warranty in the deal. However, I bought the bike,planning on it being a long term relationship like my Valk. Never crossed my mind to look for trouble issues with the drive train. Had not heard of such issues with the Wing . It's a Honda Gold Wing after all.:shrug: Yesterday was the first I've heard of it. Mine shifts beautifully now. No complaints.

Fla_rider
08-05-2014, 07:16 AM
Transmission 13 is terrible!

Flat, don't know what your talking about I have no Tranny issues. Now that I had my first oil change the Rotella T-6 makes shifting a breeze. As far as paint I never had any issues. I took the advise of the board and hit the bike with 4 coats of Liquid Glass. I'm very happy with my 2013 RED (faster) F6B and presently I wouldn't trade it for a 2014 even if it was yellow!:moon:

pvmarcon
08-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Sorry my mistake on wheel size looks to be same for both years. Richw56 where did you purchase your bike and are you satisfied with dealer?

pvmarcon
08-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Paint and tranny issues? What happened to Honda? May as well buy a Harley

FlatSixBagger
08-05-2014, 08:52 AM
may have to try that transmission fluid, still will not solve short shifting and down shifting issues thou

Jimmytee
08-05-2014, 11:23 AM
may have to try that transmission fluid, still will not solve short shifting and down shifting issues thou

Mine shifts flawlessly. Just don't get it.:shrug: Just how prevalent is this problem? How many 1800 wings have been sold since 2001?

As far as paint, I was cautious about mine, a red one. I bought the expensive Liquid Glass. I've seen no swirls or paint coming off on my rag. I do use a micro fiber cloth. The last two wipe downs have been with Lucas Mist. No issues. Looks great.

ED209
08-05-2014, 11:39 AM
I also hoped I found my 300,000.000 mike bike. :yikes:

Good for me Ive been on the internet long enough not to listen to it. :nono:

I know transmissions, used to rebuild them and transfer cases. There will always be a tenderfoot shifter or a superhotrodder who can destroy anything. :icon_doh: that's life in the human vs mechanics world. Standard

I challenge this transmission ghost shifter issue, want to see the pudding. :shrug:

opas ride
08-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Kind of like all the posts on paint issues...Some have them, most don't and take care to follow Honda's instructions on paint care...I'm sure there are a few "ghost shift" issues otherwise it would not have surfaced. but if it were that serious why did Honda wait from 2001 until 2014 to make a few changes???...Maybe the newer designed gear dogs work better and will have a positive effect on future issues if they occur???,,,I don't know, but I am not going to run out and buy another bike just because a few have "claimed" ghost shifting and paint issues.....

jaygollner
08-05-2014, 04:51 PM

If you are having tranny issues you might be hanging out in the wrong kinds of bars.

richw56
08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Sorry my mistake on wheel size looks to be same for both years. Richw56 where did you purchase your bike and are you satisfied with dealer?

I sent a detailed reply via PM.
Short answers - Champion (Hicksville), and yes, I've always been satisfied with them (of course, other people's opinions may vary).

ED209
08-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I started researching the transmission cutaways and parts lists online. You know I figured if anything the F6B would be a stouter transmission due to its not having a reverse gear in the box. :shrug: I dunno

Heres a couple pics to look at though.
7408 7409

I have a job interview tomorrow and will probably start work the next day so I will not have time to look into it too deeply, but I will check out the site daily on it. I say shift positive all the time and keep hotrodding to minimum and I just cant see issues arising.

These are only pics. I would have to bench one and see the shifter forks in action to come to my own conclusion. But since this alarm went off, I will ride like I have been for 2500 miles so far. Ride it like you bought it. :icon_mrgreen:

On the paint issue, I don't have it. I did however take the whole front off yesterday playin around and painted all the Tupperware drab grey like ED209 robot, it looked great, peeld it all back off though, just spray on Plastidip paint, spray on peel off. Fun stuff. Might do it up for biketoberfest in all drab grey and put the ED209 sticker on it. I already downloaded all the MP3 phrases and machine gun effects into my MP3, man is that fun coming through the speakers... :clap2:

bigbird
08-05-2014, 07:06 PM
From your pic, it shows the crankcase must be split to access the trans. No wonder it costs gigabucks to fix the trans if the gears go south.

Scotrod
08-05-2014, 07:13 PM
The 'alarm' has been going off for many years before the F6B existed. That ~alarm~ didn't stop my purchase.

Over time, rolling changes occur to virtually every product known to man. Most anything can be 'improved', but just the act of changing something doesn't mean the 'original' was an accident waiting to happen.

My advice???? Those who are concerned that something might happen should sell ASAP!!!!!!!! SELL that bike and don't look back!!!

srt8-in-largo
08-06-2014, 12:01 AM
My 2013 is flawless. The only problem is I can't stop riding it; 4,000 miles last month :icon_biggrin:

tinkerman
08-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Well, being a rider that enjoys two wheels period I don't generally defend or attack any brand....I take bikes on a by the each basis...my experience with Harley Davidson paint and transmissions is that they were both top end...at least on the era of Harleys that I rode and own.

tink

SmallPasture
08-06-2014, 07:51 AM
If you are having tranny issues you might be hanging out in the wrong kinds of bars.

D'oh!!!:icon_doh: :lolup: :clap2:

edgeman55
08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
I find all the worry over a 1800 being trouble free very funny.You know how many on the Goldwing sites have these engines and trans with over 100K,200K,300K and some nearing 500K with no problems other then normal things you would expect to have to change.How many normal riders will ever put that many miles on before selling or trading for the latest and greatest new toy?My 13 F6B has no ghost shifting,no hesitation,no front end shake.Enjoy your ride and if you are looking to buy make the best deal you can and then ride and see if you can wear one of these out no matter what year your on:icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
08-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Forums will attract people who have the issues... thereby making it seem like its more widespread than it actually is.

The tranny change should not be a consideration at all IMO. The odds are overwhelmingly good that your 2013 will be fine, and that you'll grow tired of it long before it ever wears out.