PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shifting issues and extended warranties on F6B

opas ride
08-06-2014, 04:42 PM
With some discussion lately on the infamous "ghost shifting" on the board, I have yet to experience this issue, does it make sense to buy the extended warranty to cover this problem if it rears its ugly head??...I think I read sometime ago that Phantom may be able to organize a group buy for F6B owners interested in the warranty which could possibly save some bucks...Any thoughts??

ED209
08-06-2014, 05:30 PM
http://www.justwings.com/Cause.html

This recent uproar of the shift forks is gonna happen here and there. Please don't worry about it too much. Motoring corporations will push issues of other manufacturers into he ground until as many people as possible will believe it and go buy their brand as the cure. :nono: that's corporate espionage . That's having stock in any company and destroy others to increase your stock. Take for instance the Harley is fast gimic. :jerkit: :crackup: I ve had people say it aint as fast as a Harley though. :shock: huh.... A 14-15 second 1/4 mile bike in stock form isn't that fast. Its fast enough, but its not fast. I about crapped laughing so hard when my bro-in-law bought a Harley and actually was sold that its the fastest cruiser out there. :icon_doh:

We all want total ZEN with our bikes. Myself, I am happy and will never go any other brand. I had one specific brand recently that had nothing but issues, BIG issues at that.. and it wasn't Harley either. I bought 2 of them in a row and now I wouldn't buy their musical organ. :jerkit:

After motorcycling near 40 years on the road, I have NEVER seen a Goldwing on the side of a road. If it does have an issue, it will get you home. Like I said in that other thread, some people can break or wear out anything.

olds34dude
08-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Gee Ed209, too bad you weren't along back in '96 when my wife and I went 50 miles or so from home to have dinner and on our way home at 9:30 we hit some light rain and our new at the time , 800 mile Goldwing, just stopped running. Wrecker took it home, Honda came and got it , new wiring harness, moral of the story, so to speak; THEY ALL BREAK D

Rustysocket
08-06-2014, 07:14 PM
With some discussion lately on the infamous "ghost shifting" on the board, I have yet to experience this issue, does it make sense to buy the extended warranty to cover this problem if it rears its ugly head??...I think I read sometime ago that Phantom may be able to organize a group buy for F6B owners interested in the warranty which could possibly save some bucks...Any thoughts??

I have not had the issue either and for the most part I don't really worry about the F6b.... with that said, If I can get four more years of warranty with unlimited miles for around 500$, that is some cheap piece of mind that I will certainly be in on.

ED209
08-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Gee Ed209, too bad you weren't along back in '96 when my wife and I went 50 miles or so from home to have dinner and on our way home at 9:30 we hit some light rain and our new at the time , 800 mile Goldwing, just stopped running. Wrecker took it home, Honda came and got it , new wiring harness, moral of the story, so to speak; THEY ALL BREAK D

Your correct. Im sure it has happened (sorry). But it is so uncommon that I personally never seen one on the side of the road.

Scotrod
08-06-2014, 09:57 PM
The extended Warranty is a lot less $$ than a tranny rebuild.

With that being said, not all transmission 'issues' have been fixed under warranty. (Original or extended)

The guy who's website has been referenced is the same guy who fixes transmissions. (And other things)

On one hand, he's pretty well versed in the GL, but on the other, he's a bit of 'odd bird' when it comes to certain things,,,

He recently indicated Honda came out with a Service Bulletin that changes the ECU reset procedures, and reportedly , on the bikes he's done,, it's 'fixed' the 'cold stumble' issue. He won't post the bulletin, nor will he quote it word for word,,, About the only difference in the procedure is 'Battery has to be 100% per the official Honda battery tester' and to ride it 20 minutes after the 2nd fan cycle.

Apparently, he's the only person who's seen/read/heard of this bulletin, and no one else can rationalize / confirm that ECU's can ONLY be reset correctly with a full 100% battery. (Lots of interesting explanations/reasoning by others on the GL forum, but none really from the 'guy with the bulletin')

I'm sure he knows more about Wings than I'll ever begin to know, but,,,, kind of an 'odd fella' in certain ways,,, :shrug:

srt8-in-largo
08-06-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm opting to forgo the extended warranty. I can only hope that decision doesn't come back to bite me, but I feel like the odds of having a trouble free machine are in my favor.

The extended Warranty is a lot less $$ than a tranny rebuild.

With that being said, not all transmission 'issues' have been fixed under warranty. (Original or extended)

The guy who's website has been referenced is the same guy who fixes transmissions. (And other things)

On one hand, he's pretty well versed in the GL, but on the other, he's a bit of 'odd bird' when it comes to certain things,,,

He recently indicated Honda came out with a Service Bulletin that changes the ECU reset procedures, and reportedly , on the bikes he's done,, it's 'fixed' the 'cold stumble' issue. He won't post the bulletin, nor will he quote it word for word,,, About the only difference in the procedure is 'Battery has to be 100% per the official Honda battery tester' and to ride it 20 minutes after the 2nd fan cycle.

Apparently, he's the only person who's seen/read/heard of this bulletin, and no one else can rationalize / confirm that ECU's can ONLY be reset correctly with a full 100% battery. (Lots of interesting explanations/reasoning by others on the GL forum, but none really from the 'guy with the bulletin')

I'm sure he knows more about Wings than I'll ever begin to know, but,,,, kind of an 'odd fella' in certain ways,,, :shrug:

Huh; well that's interesting. It's nice having someone this experienced around though. He's about an hour from me... I may give his $200 valve adjustment a shot when it comes time. Will let ya know how it goes :icon_wink:

Scotrod
08-06-2014, 10:45 PM
By the sound of things, he's got experience and talent,,, Works on bikes for a living.

Just comes off as a bit 'different' some times when it comes to the GL forum. Poor guy gets hounded quite a bit, especially back when his PC didn't have spell check. (BAD speller!)

I'm in the Warranty business. I do not make a habit of buying any extended warranty. If it's a transferable warranty, and I think it will help resale, I might consider one, but as a rule, I don't buy them because I'm worried about repairs.

The Warranties our Company sells are not 'money-makers',,, We more or less 'break even', but we sell them because our Competitors sell them, and as a 'Sales Tool', it does give some folks 'peace of mind',,,

tonycarver
08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
our dealer here in Barrie stated we could buy the extended warranty "any time" within the current warranty period. I like the idea of an extended warranty just for sh*ts and giggles. seems like whatever vehicle or bike I bought had some major issue 12 seconds after the factory warranty ended. I still have bruises on my arse from kicking myself when I didn't buy them. so i'll enjoy the Honda warranty for now and purchase the extended one a year or so before the Honda one runs out. I didn't feel like "financing" a warranty.

Texas TC
08-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Ghost Shifts are hard to duplicate and only happen infrequently. With my 2012 full Wing, I could never get it to act up for the dealer and Honda, therefore, had no interest in repairing it. It is very troublesome when you have a bike that downshifts under power without any rider input. Thankfully, my F6B thus far is not "haunted". Having said that, the extended warranty might be as worthless as the original warranty if the problem cannot be diplicated by Honda.

Deerhunter
11-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Put 10K miles on a new 2013 in the first six weeks this fall and have had a few instances. Always thought my foot must have been resting on the shifter but now think not.

bertrider
11-18-2014, 10:06 PM
I had this problem at first but I think I was trying to shift that Goldwing transmission like the one in my Concours14. The kawasaki tranny is alot slicker and I could just flick the shifter without a problem. I have to be more deliberate with the F6B. Since I've stopped pretending the Honda was a sport bike, I've had no more problems.

jkelley
11-19-2014, 06:50 AM
I have personally met Greg and while he may be somewhat unique he appears to be a stand up guy, and from talking to him if I ever have a transmission or engine issue he will get the call. If I were him I wouldn't even be on the other forums! Every time he opens his mouth so to speak he gets beat to death for no reason.

srt8-in-largo
11-19-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't like to see the guy get beat up but there is a reason he gets it. What Scot mentioned above is true, and if Greg didn't get beat up there's no telling what sort of wild unsubstantiated claims he might make.

Limoles
11-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I noticed the same problem in my Honda Rune .

Jim
11-19-2014, 12:32 PM
I guess I am lucky, my dealer in Melbourne, Fl gives forever warranty on all the bikes they sell. After the three year full coverage warranty from Honda, this warranty covers the engine, transmission, and total drive train for as long as I own the bike. Doesn't cost anything. They still tried to sell me the extended warranty though.