PDA

View Full Version : mustang seat removal/remounting

jimsol1
08-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Have had my mustang seat on bike for a few thousand miles, getting it on was not fun, I also was one of the few that got the first batch of bad seats, returned and got the new one that fit. Had to take the bike to dealer today to replace the small panel on back where the saddlebag key goes, It had some orange peel going on in the paint. After dealer sent pics to honda, they replaced it as a "goodwill" gesture, not warranty, made me sign something to that effect. I brought my passenger intercom pigtail w/me as I thought they would have to remove the seat and back deck to get that little piece off. They did not have to, the piece snaps right out. I was hoping they would have to remove the seat and plug in my cable for me, as I was dreading replacing the seat again. Well when I got home,I removed seat, treated it w/Doc Bailey's, plugged in pigtail, and seat went on 1st try, All four bolts lined up perfectly, without a hitch. Go figure. I am using the pointy bolts . Must be seat molded itself to bike and lies better now. Jim

Rustysocket
08-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Have had my mustang seat on bike for a few thousand miles, getting it on was not fun, I also was one of the few that got the first batch of bad seats, returned and got the new one that fit. Had to take the bike to dealer today to replace the small panel on back where the saddlebag key goes, It had some orange peel going on in the paint. After dealer sent pics to honda, they replaced it as a "goodwill" gesture, not warranty, made me sign something to that effect. I brought my passenger intercom pigtail w/me as I thought they would have to remove the seat and back deck to get that little piece off. They did not have to, the piece snaps right out. I was hoping they would have to remove the seat and plug in my cable for me, as I was dreading replacing the seat again. Well when I got home,I removed seat, treated it w/Doc Bailey's, plugged in pigtail, and seat went on 1st try, All four bolts lined up perfectly, without a hitch. Go figure. I am using the pointy bolts . Must be seat molded itself to bike and lies better now. Jim\

Better go buy a lottery ticket tonight....:shock:

mtcgun
08-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Ive had to remove mine a couple times and noticed it went back on a lot easier than the original install

opas ride
08-06-2014, 09:02 PM
That is good news as mine was a royal "PITA" to get mounted..Ended up having the dealer tech do it that builds trikes mostly..He got the seat on after about 45 minutes of moaning and groaning and it is a great seat for me..We tried the aftermarket pointy bolts several times and they would not work (too short). Mustang people said to make the seat rails mount flush to the seat, mine is not flush on the right side, to push the plastic washers they mount on the seat, thru the vinyl and then tighten the front bolts to eliminate the problem of the gap...I left it alone for now as all works good so far and I don't want the hassle any sooner than needed....