PDA

View Full Version : proposed club ride/vacation.

choptop
08-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Our riding club president is planning a club ride for next year. He does a lot of out of state vacationing by bike, I have a lot of faith in him and am considering this ride. I am posting the 1st post concerning the club ride, to get some reaction/input from forum members, who's input I respect, concerning this trip, here goes:

I am starting to think about a 2015 trip already! I can't help it, once I get the idea, I just gotta start scoping it out! Right now it's just a plan! I'll hash out the details by late Fall early winter, but I'll give ya all some food for thought! This trip will be open to anyone that wants to and can go!

Anyone with any insights on Yellstone / Grand Tetons is welcome. It has been 34 years since I was there last, but the memories of Beartooth Pass are etched in my mind!

It will be 10 days. The week of the 4th of July plus the preceding Friday. June 26 - July 5th. The 4th is on Saturday next year, I assume most companies will be closed Friday.

Day one will be a straight shot out to the Black Hills, maybe Keystone. 600 miles.

Two days riding the Black Hills.

Day four, ride west, visiting Devils Tower and run through the Big Horn Mountains to Red Lodge, MT. About 475 miles.

Day five, Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Memorial Highway.

Day six, ride Yellowstone Park and move home base to West Yellowstone.

Two days riding Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. (Toward the end of the second day we'll head east and out to the interstate to set up an easier ride home)

Two days to ride home (about 850 miles)

Steve 0080
08-09-2014, 12:09 AM
I'm jealous!!!!!

bobbyf6b
08-09-2014, 01:06 AM
Sounds good to me, as long as you have the time off.

zeus661
08-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Better book your rooms in advance. I rode to Denver over July 4th this year. Not vacancies within 50 miles. Spent the night at a 7-Eleven and a hotel lobby where they let me sleep in a lobby chair for a few hours. I left Denver at 6am.

choptop
08-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Better book your rooms in advance. I rode to Denver over July 4th this year. Not vacancies within 50 miles. Spent the night at a 7-Eleven and a hotel lobby where they let me sleep in a lobby chair for a few hours. I left Denver at 6am.

He has mentioned, in subsequent threads, about locking in lodging, once the plans are finalized and we know how many people are on board for this.

VP8
08-10-2014, 02:27 AM
Sounds like a great trip. I actually went to Sturgis during the rally last year after spending a few days in Idaho to ride through Oregon and Washington. While we headed to Stugis, we rode through Lolo Pass (Hwy 12)...probably one of the best roads I have ever been on. While we were staying in Stugis, we visited Devils Tower, Badlands, Spearfish, Deadwood, Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Custer Park...on the way home, we also visited Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Bryce National Park, and Zion National Park. The trip was approximatly 5,000 miles in 15 days. It was an awesome trip...one I would love to do again.

I don't recommend going all the way into Devil's Tower...not much to see...and to me, not worth the entry fee unless you already posses an annual National Park Access Pass. There is a photo op area that most people just pull over to, to take a picture of your bike with the tower in the background.

As for yellowstone and custer park, there are buffalo there. For the most part, they are used to bikes and visitors, but I actually literally came face to face with a buffalo at yellowstone. So close the buffalo couldnt really figure me out while I was on my bike. He decided to approach me head on, and looked straight at me and my bike. I just kept staring at his big horns. Buffalo licked my headlight and continued to cross the rode. Later that day, there was a report that a heard of buffalo ran into several Harley riders. In short, just be careful around wildlife and enjoy the gorgeous senery.

Injun Joe
08-20-2014, 11:41 AM
My wife and I might hook up with you for part of it if we're home as Yellowstone is on our radar for next year anyways. There is some chance we'll be visiting/riding a big rally in Brazil at that same time so...

FWIW, my wife would vehemently disagree about the Devil's Tower part as she loves the hike. But to each their own. Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway, Old Hill City Road are the not to miss Black Hills riding for us. Have yet to ride Iron Mountain.

choptop
02-19-2015, 08:25 PM
I have signed on to our Yellowstone club ride. Although it will probably be tweeked a bit before the ride, as it stands now, this is the proposed ride: The trip is remains largely the same though I've tweaked it a bit. I'm posting this so you can see what you're getting into!

Ride out to Black Hills. If we meet at Memorial Park in Shakopee, it is 575 miles to Keystone. A little less if we stay in south Rapid City. Two days riding the Black Hills. Then a travel day to Cody Wyoming (not Red Lodge), about 475 miles. Over half of this is Interstate Hwy cruising, the other scenic mountain highways.

Ride Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass. Next day we enter Yellowstone via the east gate, explore and end up in West Yellowstone. Next day we explore the park more and see the Grand Tetons, back to West Yellowstone. Following day, explore the park some more, exit via Beartooth pass and head east on 94 at the end of the day to cut a few miles off the return trip.

We've shaved off enough miles of the return trip to get each day under 400 miles (akmost!) and allow us to visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park (North Dakota) which is known as the REAL Badlands and are supposed to be more impressive than the Black Hills Badlands. And finally home via I94.

As the ride plan currently stands, these are the tentative miles per day for the trip.
Day 1 - 575 (travel day to Black Hills)
Day 2 - 115 (easy day Central Black Hills)
Day 3 - 185 (Northern Black Hills)
Day 4 - 475 (travel day, Big Horn Mts, Cody, WY)
Day 5 - 225 (Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass)
Day 6 - 180 (Explore Yellowstone Park, travel day to West Yellowstone)
Day 7 - 190 (Explore Yellowstone and Grand Tetons)
Day 8 - 315 (Explore Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, travel day to Forsyth, MT)
Day 9 - 350 (travel day, explore Roosevelt National Park Badlands, ending in Steel, ND)
Day 10 - 410 (travel day - Home)
All subject to change of course!

Their should be about 10 of us, give or take , I understand June is a good month, a lot of the babies are born and are out and about, I always wanted to hold a baby bear. lol If I don't do this ride I will probably never do it and regret it for the rest of my life.:icon_frown:

bigbird
02-19-2015, 08:58 PM
I have signed on to our Yellowstone club ride.

Their should be about 10 of us, give or take , I understand June is a good month, a lot of the babies are born and are out and about, I always wanted to hold a baby bear. lol If I don't do this ride I will probably never do it and regret it for the rest of my life.:icon_frown:

Is this an open invitation or a closed ride?
Early June would be great to do this ride before the hordes descend on the Badlands. I've been to Yellowstone, Beartooth, and the Theo Roosevelt Park out in extreme western ND and as you said, it's worth the trip.
If it's open, I'm interested in riding down to join you.
Let me know.

hiflyer
02-19-2015, 09:01 PM
I have signed on to our Yellowstone club ride.

As the ride plan currently stands, these are the tentative miles per day for the trip.
Day 9 - 350 (travel day, explore Roosevelt National Park Badlands, ending in Steel, ND)

:

Chop, definitely a ride you have to make. If it was just 1 or 2 riders, I would say you were devoting too much time to Yellowstone, but with a group will be fine. Made that trip last year and ran out of things to see in YS and got back on the road. Enjoy

choptop
02-19-2015, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=bigbird;63512]Is this an open invitation or a closed ride?
Early June would be great to do this ride before the hordes descend on the Badlands. I've been to Yellowstone, Beartooth, and the Theo Roosevelt Park out in extreme western ND and as you said, it's worth the trip.
If it's open, I'm interested in riding down to join you.
Let me know.[/QUOTE

Sorry BigBird, it is a closed club ride. The President of our riding club is basically inviting club members along on his vacation.lol

choptop
02-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Chop, definitely a ride you have to make. If it was just 1 or 2 riders, I would say you were devoting too much time to Yellowstone, but with a group will be fine. Made that trip last year and ran out of things to see in YS and got back on the road. Enjoy

The'riding' club is for the most part a adolescent adult party club,:icon_lol:, I am sure their is ample time put aside to :drunk: and reflect on the days ride.

terrydj
02-19-2015, 10:03 PM
As for yellowstone and custer park, there are buffalo there. For the most part, they are used to bikes and visitors, but I actually literally came face to face with a buffalo at yellowstone. So close the buffalo couldnt really figure me out while I was on my bike. He decided to approach me head on, and looked straight at me and my bike. I just kept staring at his big horns. Buffalo licked my headlight and continued to cross the rode. Later that day, there was a report that a heard of buffalo ran into several Harley riders. In short, just be careful around wildlife and enjoy the gorgeous senery.

A Buffalo
Yeah got em here (Water Buffalo)
But a few years back took a corner, middle of the night, middle of no where and their in the middle of the road was a 7 foot Roo
Road the bike right up to him, lent forward and slapped him on the nose. He never moved an inch.
Ended up touching him with the front wheel. he left
A couuple of years before that I hit one, Never came off but had to put the poor bugger down as I'd broken his hip :icon_cool:

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-19-2015, 10:31 PM
I have signed on to our Yellowstone club ride. Although it will probably be tweeked a bit before the ride, as it stands now, this is the proposed ride: The trip is remains largely the same though I've tweaked it a bit. I'm posting this so you can see what you're getting into!

Ride out to Black Hills. If we meet at Memorial Park in Shakopee, it is 575 miles to Keystone. A little less if we stay in south Rapid City. Two days riding the Black Hills. Then a travel day to Cody Wyoming (not Red Lodge), about 475 miles. Over half of this is Interstate Hwy cruising, the other scenic mountain highways.

Ride Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass. Next day we enter Yellowstone via the east gate, explore and end up in West Yellowstone. Next day we explore the park more and see the Grand Tetons, back to West Yellowstone. Following day, explore the park some more, exit via Beartooth pass and head east on 94 at the end of the day to cut a few miles off the return trip.

We've shaved off enough miles of the return trip to get each day under 400 miles (akmost!) and allow us to visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park (North Dakota) which is known as the REAL Badlands and are supposed to be more impressive than the Black Hills Badlands. And finally home via I94.

I'm originally from Wyoming and lucky enough to do this route many times. Each time I find spectacular.
God's Country. Take time to stop for coffee or a beer in the small bergs. Meeting locals is priceless.
Wear a helmet please, although not required.
Jim

bigbird
02-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Sorry BigBird, it is a closed club ride. The President of our riding club is basically inviting club members along on his vacation.lol

No problem.
Enjoy the trip and all be safe.

Limoles
02-20-2015, 12:55 AM
Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post

No problem.
Enjoy the trip and all be safe.

No , no , no ! Do not gave up so easily . As soon as you present THEM your newly purchased gun , they will change their demeanor and chauvinistic attitudes . I'll be also armed , so together we will show THEM , how to treat foreigners .

choptop
02-20-2015, 04:12 AM
Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post

No , no , no ! Do not gave up so easily . As soon as you present THEM your newly purchased gun , they will change their demeanor and chauvinistic attitudes . I'll be also armed , so together we will show THEM , how to treat foreigners .

Havn't checked yet whether my CC permit is good their yet, the .45 cal xds could come in handy...

terrydj
02-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Havn't checked yet whether my CC permit is good their yet, the .45 cal xds could come in handy...

If you have a Concealed Carry licence do you have to prove you can actually shoot the Handgun you carry ?????
Like a simple double pop from the draw at 20 feet ?????
Wouldn't it be wonderful if those that owned firearms actually hit what hey were shooting at.
Personally I used to shoot a bit
Beat an Olympic Gold medalist in trap once
Used to be able to double pop from the draw at 20 feet in all calibers up to and including 45 cal
In the military fired 5.56, 7.62, 308 and 50 cal rifles
just believe that everyone who owns and fires a gun should hit what their aiming at :icon_cool:

53driver
02-20-2015, 10:01 AM
If you have a Concealed Carry licence do you have to prove you can actually shoot the Handgun you carry ?????
Wouldn't it be wonderful if those that owned firearms actually hit what hey were shooting at.
Used to be able to double pop from the draw at 20 feet in all calibers up to and including 45 cal
just believe that everyone who owns and fires a gun should hit what their aiming at :icon_cool:

The rules vary from state to state going from mandatory class & range time, to "No felonies? Here ya go."

Elroy
02-20-2015, 10:32 AM

Agreed, Terry!
Not to de-rail the thread, but to your question, it varies depending on where you get your certification from. Around my area, classes are held at the hunting/gun shops and are generally taught by active or former law enforcement instructors. In my experience those classes do a MUCH better job on the hands-on testing portion of the training. Involves moving to cover, working reloads, shooting from various positions/stances, using dom/non-dom hands, etc. I had a buddy who took his class at a large "armory"-type gun store and was taught by "NRA Qualified" staff, and from what he said, the hands-on was a joke. There were participants in his class that were unaware of the differences between an autoloader, and a revolver....that to me is somewhat frightening.

choptop
02-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Here are the places we will be staying at on our clubs Yellowstone adventure, any input would be appreciated.

Keystone, SD
June 26-28
Keystone Boardwalk
250 Winter Street
Keystone, SD
(605) 666-4990
800-252-2119
http://www.keystoneboardwalk.com/

Cody, Wy
June 29-30
Skyline Motor Inn
1919 17th St.
Cody, WY
800-843-8809
http://www.skylinemotorinn.com/

West Yellowstone, Mt
July 1-2
One Horse Motel
216 North Dunraven Street
West Yellowstone, Mt

FYI. Montana and North Dakota are Helmet States.

terrydj
02-24-2015, 12:55 AM
Agreed, Terry!
Not to de-rail the thread, but to your question, it varies depending on where you get your certification from. Around my area, classes are held at the hunting/gun shops and are generally taught by active or former law enforcement instructors. In my experience those classes do a MUCH better job on the hands-on testing portion of the training. Involves moving to cover, working reloads, shooting from various positions/stances, using dom/non-dom hands, etc. I had a buddy who took his class at a large "armory"-type gun store and was taught by "NRA Qualified" staff, and from what he said, the hands-on was a joke. There were participants in his class that were unaware of the differences between an autoloader, and a revolver....that to me is somewhat frightening.

Pretty funny
And them people are armed and walking the street
You would think they would at least be qualified to the extent that they they had the ability to hit what they were shooting at ??????? :icon_cool:

choptop
02-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Here are the places we will be staying at on our clubs Yellowstone adventure, any input would be appreciated.

Keystone, SD
June 26-28
Keystone Boardwalk
250 Winter Street
Keystone, SD
(605) 666-4990
800-252-2119

Cody, Wy
June 29-30
Skyline Motor Inn
1919 17th St.
Cody, WY
800-843-8809

West Yellowstone, Mt
July 1-2
One Horse Motel
West Yellowstone, Mt

FYI. Montana and North Dakota are Helmet States.

Has anyone been to any decent bars near the motels that we are staying in during our Yellowstone trip ?

Retired Army
02-24-2015, 06:58 PM
For the vets in the group this is worth checking out. http://www.tourofhonor.com/ I am going to bring this up at the next Legion Riders meeting.

Vol1chuck
02-25-2015, 12:27 PM
My buddy and I make a multi-state, 10 day to 2 week trip every year and have found a great, readily available lodging option. Whenever possible, we stay at KOA in their Kamping Kabins (I know..hokey name). The base unit always has a full size bed and a set of bunks. Depending on the local weather, there will be heat and a/c. Some have small refrigerators and I've even found one with a small TV. Porch swing and picnic table. Fire ring. And I've stayed in them from Bar Harbor, Maine to Tombstone, Az and, without exception, all the restroom/shower facilities are always spotless. We've paid as little as 30 bucks, and as much as 90 (Deadwood during Sturgis week), but the average is 50. Safe travels.....

Oh, and if you purchase their frequent kamper kard (yeah, more hokey), you save 10% and accumulate points that add up to further cash discounts.

choptop
02-25-2015, 03:58 PM
My buddy and I make a multi-state, 10 day to 2 week trip every year and have found a great, readily available lodging option. Whenever possible, we stay at KOA in their Kamping Kabins (I know..hokey name). The base unit always has a full size bed and a set of bunks. Depending on the local weather, there will be heat and a/c. Some have small refrigerators and I've even found one with a small TV. Porch swing and picnic table. Fire ring. And I've stayed in them from Bar Harbor, Maine to Tombstone, Az and, without exception, all the restroom/shower facilities are always spotless. We've paid as little as 30 bucks, and as much as 90 (Deadwood during Sturgis week), but the average is 50. Safe travels.....

Oh, and if you purchase their frequent kamper kard (yeah, more hokey), you save 10% and accumulate points that add up to further cash discounts.

Will keep that in mind for future trips, are doubling w/another person so the price is not that bad, $400.00 total lodging for (7) nights per person.

choptop
02-26-2015, 07:47 PM
As of today, our most current itinerary :This should be about right!

Day 1 Friday June 26 - Memorial Park, Shakopee, MN - Keystone, SD - 575 mi
Keystone, South Dakota
Keystone Boardwalk Motel
250 Winter Street
Keystone, SD
(605) 666-4990
800-252-2119

Day 2 Saturday June 27 - Iron Mountain Rd, Mount Coolidge, Custer State Park Wildlife Loop, Needles Highway, Old Hill City Rd - Laid back 115 mile day
Keystone

Day 3 Sunday June 28 - Johnson Siding, Norris Peak Rd, Nemo Rd, Vanocker Canyon Rd, Spearfish Canyon Rd, Pactola Reservoir - 185 mi
Keystone

Day 4 Monday June 29 - Devils Tower, Bighorn Mountains National Park - 445 mi
385 mi if we skip Devils Tower
Cody, Wyoming
Skyline Motor Inn
1919 17th St.
Cody, WY
800-843-8809

Day 5 Tuesday June 30 - Chief Joseph Memorial Highway, Beartooth Pass/ Beartooth All-American Road, Red Lodge Montana - 225 mi
Cody, Wy

Day 6 Wednesday July 1 - Explore Yellowstone Park - 185 mi
West Yellowstone, Montana
One Horse Motel
West Yellowstone, MT
1-800-488-2750
http://www.onehorsemotel.com/

Day 7 Thursday July 2 - Explore Yellowstone Park - Grand Teton National Park - 215 mi
West Yellowstone, MT

The ride home from West Yellowstone is about 1,075 miles. We'll be doing that in 3 days with some scenic areas along the way, Mamoth Hot Springs, Beartooth Pass and Theodore Roosevelt National Park (the Badlands of North Dakota) I haven't booked rooms for the way home. There are a lot of hotels and motels along interstate 94... we may just "wing it."

Day 8 Friday July 3 - 1/2 day in Yellowstone, Mammoth Hot Springs
Leave Yellowstone and put some miles east on Interstate 94 to set-up the ride home - 325-375 mi
Forsyth or Miles City, Montana

Day 9 Saturday July 4 - Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Badlands of North Dakota - 315-370 mi
Steele or Jamestown, North Dakota

Day 10 Sunday July 5 - 330-385 mi - Home

unsub
03-30-2015, 09:59 PM

Yeah, agreed. The bar has been raised at the KOA's in recent years. We find most locations that we have used to have clean facilities and friendly welcoming management and guests.

I can heartily recommend the following locations.

Salt Lake City
San Diego
Petaluma
Albany/Corvallis