PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running Show Chrome heel/toe shifter?

Hardrock
08-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Just installed mine. Not shifting down very well. The forked part that rides on the bikes shift lever, I think is supposed to ride on the rubber peg. Mine is too far towards the right/ towards the bike, and cant get a positive downshift. Anyone else have this issue?

CheckpointChcky
08-10-2014, 01:06 PM
As I recall, the front arm is supposed to be on the metal part closest to the bike....the rubber part of your original shifter should not be touching and rides just to the outside of the forked section of the shifter arm.

motoman
08-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Remove the original Honda rubber sleeve--not needed. (This is clearly stated in Step 2 of the Installation instructions) :icon_doh:

Should work fine with light, steady heel pressure. Don't stomp on it!

Love mine.. Shifts great! Size 14 shoe, now I can wear all kinds of boots no problem! :icon_biggrin:

Hardrock
08-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Remove the original Honda rubber sleeve--not needed. (This is clearly stated in Step 2 of the Installation instructions) :icon_doh:

Should work fine with light, steady heel pressure. Don't stomp on it!

Love mine.. Shifts great! Size 14 shoe, now I can wear all kinds of boots no problem! :icon_biggrin:

motoman- My instructions say nothing about removing the rubber sleeve. If I remove the sleeve it seems like there would be too much slop, and the problem is shifting down into 1st, with the toe end. It doesn't seem like it's pushing it down far enough. It shifts up fine with the heel. Here is all the instruction that it came with-7532

Scotrod
08-10-2014, 06:21 PM
There is a Show Chrome HT shifter, and then there is a Show Chrome HT shifter with floorboards.

I had the HT shifter. Looks like you have the HT shifter w/floorboards.

Hardrock
08-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Yes, it's the H/T with floorboards. I didn't know they had H/T solo, and its a different hook up to toe shifter of bike. I will try running the forked end to the side of the rubber peg tomorrow after work to see if that works better. Hopefully somebody else has this same setup, and has it working correctly. Once I got used to the H/T floorboards of my VTX1800R, I gotta have it now.

Scotrod
08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that product. Are there any pictures of it installed online that might help you determine if ya got it on like it should be?

You could post some pics of what it's like now too. Maybe someone will see something,,, :shrug:

Hardrock
08-11-2014, 07:44 PM
From the few pictures I've found online, it appears the forked end rides to the inside of the rubber peg. The fork opening is as large as the rubber so it kind of slides onto it a little. After riding it again, I am thinking the real problem of it not shifting down is because the H/T shifter is not falling back into place after making a shift. I have oiled the nylon bushing but it still is sticking. Hopefully it will loosen up after some use.
For right now, if I am in 3rd and shift down to 2nd I have to heel the lever back to place, then I can shift down to 1st. This is the best pic I've seen so far as to position of fork. Hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions, I really like these. I appreciate everyones input so far!

Scotrod
08-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Add some weight to the heel arm of the shifter?

If the HT shifter arm is 'nose/toe heavy', balancing it with some weight may help,,,

My Kury was just tiny hair tail heavy with the forward 'peg' removed. Nose heavy with it installed.

motoman
08-11-2014, 10:17 PM
motoman- My instructions say nothing about removing the rubber sleeve. If I remove the sleeve it seems like there would be too much slop, and the problem is shifting down into 1st, with the toe end. It doesn't seem like it's pushing it down far enough. It shifts up fine with the heel. Here is all the instruction that it came with-7532

Sorry Hardrock - Maybe there are different versions.

Here is the one I used:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/4039-21GL-0911.pdf

Hardrock
08-12-2014, 04:47 AM
If it is off balance, I can't tell yet. It's not loose enough on the pivot to tell. If I move it up or down it stays where I left it. I'm gonna keep oiling it, and riding it and hopefully it loosens up a bit. If not I'll probably have to take it apart and sand some material off the nylon bushing.
Motoman - the instructions you have for Kuryakyn, in picture 2, that piece is what Show Chrome should use. Gives the forked end a smooth surface to ride on. Too much slop riding on peg, inside next to rubber shift knob, if that is where it's supposed to be. (Don't know for sure yet).

Hardrock
08-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Shot off an email to Big Bike Parts, to verify where the shift fork was to be making contact. They responded that the one that is on their F6B, rides on the shift lever rubber. The H/T fork on mine is so far to the right(inside) that it kind of slides off the edge. They include spacers where you mount the floorboards to accommodate for chrome frame covers, so I put them on and that slid it over just enough so that the fork is just on the far right of rubber peg. So issue #1 is solved.
Oiling pivot on H/T shifter was not enough, I ended up taking it off the shaft and lightly sanding the insides of the nylon bushings. Mine were way too snug to ever loosen up, but now its PERFECT. Sooooo nice to be able to ride my new bike without worrying if I am going to wreck the transmission. These are really nice floorboards, and just wanted to share my experience in case some else runs into this issue.

RickW
08-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Shot off an email to Big Bike Parts, to verify where the shift fork was to be making contact. They responded that the one that is on their F6B, rides on the shift lever rubber. The H/T fork on mine is so far to the right(inside) that it kind of slides off the edge. They include spacers where you mount the floorboards to accommodate for chrome frame covers, so I put them on and that slid it over just enough so that the fork is just on the far right of rubber peg. So issue #1 is solved.
Oiling pivot on H/T shifter was not enough, I ended up taking it off the shaft and lightly sanding the insides of the nylon bushings. Mine were way too snug to ever loosen up, but now its PERFECT. Sooooo nice to be able to ride my new bike without worrying if I am going to wreck the transmission. These are really nice floorboards, and just wanted to share my experience in case some else runs into this issue.

That was my bike that they had the picture of above. I have ran those boards for about 5000 miles now and they are perfect.
I am used to larger boards and a heel toe shifter on my other bikes, I really like these.
They were correct as you can see from the picture with the fork going just to the right of the rubber. I have not had any problem of any type with this set up.
Rick
http://store.valueaccessories.net/images/products/detail/528341.1.jpg (http://store.valueaccessories.net/DriverFloorboardsSetHondaF6BandGL1800.aspx)