PDA

View Full Version : 4k valve adjustment

selmore50
08-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Just bought my first Goldwing F6B last month and just received my owners manual early last week. Looking at the service schedule they are saying to check the valves at 4k miles when you do your first oil change. Is this really something I need to do? Has anybody ever had a valve out of adjustment at 4k miles?

Wild Bill
08-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Its every 32K The 4 is the notes...Wicth is "more often if noisy"

opas ride
08-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Just bought my first Goldwing F6B last month and just received my owners manual early last week. Looking at the service schedule they are saying to check the valves at 4k miles when you do your first oil change. Is this really something I need to do? Has anybody ever had a valve out of adjustment at 4k miles?

Not to my knowledge, but maybe a few have...Most Goldwing motors go thousands of miles without adjusting the valves...If they get noisy, then I suppose it is time??

selmore50
08-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys appreciate that advise. I missed the noise part

bigbird
08-10-2014, 10:01 PM
.If they get noisy, then I suppose it is time??

DOHC and SOHC (which the 1800 uses) engines with shim under bucket valve adjustment do not have to worry about noisy valves. Excess clearance will never be a problem. The problem is with inadequate clearance as the engine wears. Over time, the valve seats wear down from the pounding of the closing of the valves, making the valve clearance tighter. You will never hear a too tight valve clearance. The problem is that with inadequate clearance, the valve will not be seated long enough to shed its excess heat to the cylinder head. This is called valve recession. The exhaust valves will run too hot, burn, and could disintegrate inside the cylinder. GM states there is no significant wear at the cam/bucket/shim/valve end of a shim under bucket valve train. Ford, in their old Zetec family of DOHC engines, used shim under bucket with no clearance check or adjustment required for the life of the engine. The Ford taurus SHO used a DOHC engine made by Yamaha, also with no valve adjustments required. Long story short, for the Goldwing, with its low rpm, low stress operation, valve adjustments should never be required. On high rpm racing type motorcycle engines with redlines in the 15-17k range, their valve seats will wear and they will require re-shimming.

The old style (now making a return in the newer Honda engines as a Uni-Cam engine)) uses rocker arms with screw and locknut adjustment for the clearance. Those will gain clearance as they age, and will get noisier.

Hornblower
08-11-2014, 08:05 AM
:icon_goodpost: bigbird :clap2:

srt8-in-largo
08-11-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm liking the BigBird post.

So at 32k miles do you guys get your valves checked... or omit that item if the valves are not noisy.

ED209
08-12-2014, 04:20 AM
Now that Im working all the time, I can only look into and review this stuff on occasion. Its a very good feeling knowing that this motor will probably pull off multiple 100k miles without work. :icon_cool:

Those who sit in offices or have internet access at work http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-engine-and-exhaust/2014-honda-gold-wing-gl1800-valve-shim-kits-refills-universal/p6k?m=155460&f=3

Unfortunatley I have to head to work in a few minutes and look at bikinis all day. :crackup: While working on 4 pools.

edgeman55
08-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Many with high mile 1800's have checked them at 30,60 120K and valves were still within spec.Seems like most that are adjusting them are very anal about being right back on the # even though when they checked them they were still witin tolarances.

bigbird
08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Those who sit in offices or have internet access at work http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-engine-and-exhaust/2014-honda-gold-wing-gl1800-valve-shim-kits-refills-universal/p6k?m=155460&f=3

Looking at your link for shim kits, I personally would hesitate to order a generic kit for any engine. I would only install OEM if I had to. The reason for me is that those tiny shims, about the size of an aspirin, must be manufactured from the correct steel alloy. Generic kits could come from any Chinese sweat shop, and made from who knows what alloy. Of course the Honda OEM shims could also originate in that same Chinese sweat shop, but if it says Honda on the parts box, you know it will be the best part for the engine.

As an aside, I wouldn't attempt a valve clearance adjustment personally. Mechanics HATE shimming engines. The stress level is the highest of any engine repair. The shims are tiny, and can easily fall down into the crankcase through the opening for the chains. Removing the cams and chains, and retiming the cams on re-installation requires total concentration and knowledge. Using the micrometer to measure each shim coming out and going back in is a pain. Matching each bucket back to its original valve is also mandatory. There are just too many things that can go wrong. I would just drive the bike and forget about valve clearance issues, unless it was a Ducati or Beemer. But that's a story for another day.

Scotrod
08-12-2014, 03:20 PM
. GM states there is no significant wear at the am/bucket/shim/valve end of a shim under bucket valve train. Ford, in their old Zetec family of DOHC engines, used shim under bucket with no clearance check or adjustment required for the life of the engine. The Ford taurus SHO used a DOHC engine made by Yamaha, also with no valve adjustments required. .

The wifes 2011 Mustang with the 3.7 V-6 uses a similar system,, DAMB,,, no adjustment required for the life of the motor.

(Never could talk her into gettin the 5.0,,,,'kickthecan' )

Gumby
08-14-2014, 09:17 PM
I've worked on many 1fz-fe toyota motors with a similar valve arrangement on a similar perfectly balanced under stressed 6. 300k and they are never out of adjustment. They require a bunch of set up if you do a valve job, but then you're good again.

srt8-in-largo
08-15-2014, 12:15 AM
I would sure like to be one of the ones who won't need an adjustment for +100k miles but let's be real... many GL1800's do need adjustments at 12k miles, no?

It's a disservice IMO to lead folks to believe they shouldn't be checking this at the prescribed intervals.

bigbird
08-15-2014, 08:20 AM
The owner of the shop where I bought my F6B used to be the shop foreman at a Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealer. He knows his stuff round engines and in particular Gold Wings. His personal ride is a 2004 Wing. I asked him about valve adjustments. He checked his own at the first interval, and no adjustment was required. He has checked many for his customers, and hasn't had to adjust any yet. I wouldn't sweat it.