PDA

View Full Version : Regrets?

Injun Joe
08-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Hi folks,

New prospect here. I'm wanting some feedback on an unanswerable question before taking the plunge is such a thing is possible. So here's the backstory: In 40 years riding (off/on), I've never had a completely "new" bike. Closest was a few months old trade in of a M109R right after they came out. (I guess even the F6B wouldn't be totally "new" in that I'm looking at t 2013, but all the miles would be mine so I do still consider it new and ultimately, my CHOICE rather than someone else's hand-me-down.) At 58, I'm realistic that this could possibly be my last bike or perhaps my only new bike ever. (I'm not the guy that can afford to trade every riding season and this would be a 72 month loan anyways.) Final data point: My "dream bike" remains the new Indian Chieftain -- not so much for riding reasons as for style and image and yes, the "American" factor although that goes deeper for me being a Minnesota boy and Polaris being a Minnesota company in origin.

So all that factored in, am I going to regret this purchase? I absolutely love the look and ride of the F6B and I've been enamored of Gold Wings from their very inception. I guess bottom line is I don't see having the extra $8k+ that a Chieftain would set me back anytime soon and I very much do feel the biological clock ticking before it's time to consider a sidecar, trike, or Spyder. What say ye?

Injun Joe
08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Hi again folks,

Prospective newb F6Ber here. If I take the plunge, I get up to $1K in Honda branded accessories. BTW, I'm looking at the Standard and not the Deluxe which may be a mistake right off the bat.

All the shop guys seem to be pushing me towards the heated grips which weren't on my radar screen at all. I'm not at all a four season rider and just don't get the appeal. I've always been fine with thicker, gauntlet gloves. But I'm open to being convinced.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Honda shop folks are pretty dismissive of the center stand and I was coming into it considering it a near given. My rationale includes oil checking, cleaning, and parking on hot asphalt.

Both the above cause me to wonder whether I should be looking at the Deluxe. (Although my dealer doesn't have a 2013 Deluxe that I know of.)

Driving lights: I want some but see where the Honda one are ridiculously overpriced. I'm largely considering them as a way to use up the $1k. Otherwise, I'd get aftermarket for sure.

No brainers: Pannier insert bags, iPod pouch, 12 volt socket.

I ride solo and don't like back rests. So on long trips I'd either be strapping a duffle across the back seat or maybe getting that Corbin modular seat which looks kind of cool. Bottom line, I have no use for back rests, luggage racks, etc.

Intercom: No second rider on the bike and I imagine my earbuds to be a better option to the com speakers. Plus a dangling microphone immediately makes me think "old man" so no interest here though I'd love it if someone could steer me towards a 5-pin DIN to 3.5mm jack adapter to use earbuds for music and gps.

Bling: I'm looking at the black model and want to blacken it even more -- so no additional chrome gadgets.

Have I got it wrong or do you think I'm kind of looking in the right direction given my personal tastes?

CheckpointChcky
08-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Buy mine....it is for sale and it already has all those extra accessories on it.

Pap
08-10-2014, 01:14 PM
My decision was going with the standard.
I got the driving lights and passenger backrest. I don't need heated grips as I have heated jacket/gloves.
A center stand I think is about 175.00?
I would suggest a taller wind screen if you want more wind protection.
You should be able to get these with the bonus bucks.
Good luck

Jimmytee
08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Hi again folks,

Prospective newb F6Ber here. If I take the plunge, I get up to $1K in Honda branded accessories. BTW, I'm looking at the Standard and not the Deluxe which may be a mistake right off the bat.

All the shop guys seem to be pushing me towards the heated grips which weren't on my radar screen at all. I'm not at all a four season rider and just don't get the appeal. I've always been fine with thicker, gauntlet gloves. But I'm open to being convinced.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Honda shop folks are pretty dismissive of the center stand and I was coming into it considering it a near given. My rationale includes oil checking, cleaning, and parking on hot asphalt.

Both the above cause me to wonder whether I should be looking at the Deluxe. (Although my dealer doesn't have a 2013 Deluxe that I know of.)

Driving lights: I want some but see where the Honda one are ridiculously overpriced. I'm largely considering them as a way to use up the $1k. Otherwise, I'd get aftermarket for sure.

No brainers: Pannier insert bags, iPod pouch, 12 volt socket.

I ride solo and don't like back rests. So on long trips I'd either be strapping a duffle across the back seat or maybe getting that Corbin modular seat which looks kind of cool. Bottom line, I have no use for back rests, luggage racks, etc.

Intercom: No second rider on the bike and I imagine my earbuds to be a better option to the com speakers. Plus a dangling microphone immediately makes me think "old man" so no interest here though I'd love it if someone could steer me towards a 5-pin DIN to 3.5mm jack adapter to use earbuds for music and gps.

Bling: I'm looking at the black model and want to blacken it even more -- so no additional chrome gadgets.

Have I got it wrong or do you think I'm kind of looking in the right direction given my personal tastes?

I just bought a red 2013 standard three weeks ago. It is my first "new "bike. All my others have been used with the exception of a new 1982 ATC 185S Three wheeler I bought with paper route money . I have owned two Valkyries and still have one of them. For me, I was looking at Victories , new Valkyrie, Triumph Rocket III or the F6B. I believe I made the right choice. I'm hooked on the flat six power plant.

As far as a Deluxe model, for me, it wasn't worth the extra grand. The center stand can be had pretty cheap online.( Lot's of Wings out there that have been triked) The back rest didn't look sufficient and I bought the bike knowing I'd be looking to change the seat for an Ultimate and both driver and passenger backrest. Never had heated grips, and they can be added if one desires.

As far as the fog lights from Honda. They are over priced, IMHO,but you have to spend the $1000 on the Honda accessories and they are good quality. I am not a "No Chrome" guy, so I got the Rotor covers which weren't cheap either. I also got the 12 volt accessory outlet, again over priced, I got the bag liners and one of the license plate frames.

Since buying it, I've also added the Kury Ergo IIIs highway pegs, the Kury riser kit, twisted throttle throttle assist and a Baggershield windshield. Love the Baggershield.

motozeke
08-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi friend, welcome to the board!

All the things you're looking for can be found on wingstuff.com. Of course there are other retailers as well, but I usually end up buying from WingStuff.

If you've been riding as long as you have and don't see the need for heated grips, and you don't need a backrest, and you don't mind installing a center stand yourself, then the Deluxe is probably not for you. I wanted everything that was on the list (except for the self-cancelling turn signals, which I never had before and wouldn't have missed). Especially heated grips--I wouldn't have a bike that didn't have heated grips, since I bought a bike with them in 2011. What a revelation! I never realized what I was missing. I use them regularly, even when temps are in the 70s, because they help with hand fatigue and circulation. Love, love, love 'em. :yes:

opas ride
08-10-2014, 01:39 PM
I bought the Deluxe as I wanted the extra things without having to add on later...You will not go wrong with the F6B as it is a great bike in all regards...The Indian is also a great bike and I have ridden one a few times...If I did not love my F6B, I would probably buy the Indian above all other V-twin's available...I thought my 99 Valkyrie,(at age 59) would also be my last bike...Wrong!!..Now at 74, I have had 5 others and enjoyed them all...Depends on your needs whether or not to buy the Deluxe and only you can answer this....I added the Cobra pipes, Mustang seat, Kuryakyn grips, and other goodies, besides a custom paint job...allof which did not come cheap....In my opinion, if you are planning on keeping this bike a long time, Honda is pretty darn reliable and plenty of dealers etc...., but Polaris/Victory/Indian is growing everyday and adding more dealers.....PS, I definitely would go for the self-cancelling turn signals as the older we get they sometimes get left on!!!....Good Luck

Ixol Phaane
08-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Hi folks,

New prospect here. I'm wanting some feedback on an unanswerable question before taking the plunge is such a thing is possible. So here's the backstory: In 40 years riding (off/on), I've never had a completely "new" bike. Closest was a few months old trade in of a M109R right after they came out. (I guess even the F6B wouldn't be totally "new" in that I'm looking at t 2013, but all the miles would be mine so I do still consider it new and ultimately, my CHOICE rather than someone else's hand-me-down.) At 58, I'm realistic that this could possibly be my last bike or perhaps my only new bike ever. (I'm not the guy that can afford to trade every riding season and this would be a 72 month loan anyways.) Final data point: My "dream bike" remains the new Indian Chieftain -- not so much for riding reasons as for style and image and yes, the "American" factor although that goes deeper for me being a Minnesota boy and Polaris being a Minnesota company in origin.

So all that factored in, am I going to regret this purchase? I absolutely love the look and ride of the F6B and I've been enamored of Gold Wings from their very inception. I guess bottom line is I don't see having the extra $8k+ that a Chieftain would set me back anytime soon and I very much do feel the biological clock ticking before it's time to consider a sidecar, trike, or Spyder. What say ye?

Hey, Big...

The new Indian Chieftain looks like an awesome bike with great specs. It looks to me like it's got a lot going for it. I don't envy the choice you're faced with. :icon_frown:

The F6B and the Chieftain represent two different rider styles, in my opinion, so you gotta ask yourself which style fits you. Are you more a traditionalist when it comes to riding.. or are you more progressive in your tastes? I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

I'm 52. I've been riding my own bikes since I was 18. I started with a Honda CB400 way beck then, and I've racked up close to 300k miles. I've been blessed with a solid career so all of my bikes (8 over the years) have been bought new. They have all been Honda street bikes but one Kawasaki. My taste is more progressive and I have owned a big Gold Wing, a VFR race styled bike and even a Pacific Coast. None of my bikes has ever let me down. My last bike was a VTX1300S cruiser (go figure) that I rode, contentedly, for 11 years.

I couldn't be happier with my new F6B. I wanted a bike that handled well in the city, and that had the gravitas for going the distance on the open road. My previous experience with the Gold Wing showed me its reputation for long distances touring was truly earned. And every review and write up I read before I bought my F6B was glowing. It's a challenge to find someone who has anything negative to say about the bike - aside from a lack of certain equipment like cruise and reverse. I can add cruise to my F6B, and that would make it MY dream bike.

But... there's a lot to be said for dreams and I'm big on going after 'em. I was soooo ready to drop coin a year ago for the 2013 model F6B, but couldn't swallow either red or black color, so waited. Honda rewarded my patience with the new fastest yellow. :shhh:

If the Chieftain really is your dream bike, then I think you should either be patient for a year and save some cheddar by buying a model year sell-off (?)... OR do what it takes to make the down payment sooner.

I guess the bottom line here is... if you choose the F6B, I think you might regret it. NOT because the F6B a lesser bike, (it ISN'T, it's a GREAT bike)... but because you may feel you didn't buy what you really wanted.

Ooooh... choices.. choices. :icon_biggrin:

Injun Joe
08-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks folks for all the great advice up to now! I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive to come here with this in that I've posted questions to other forums only to have my premises completely disregarded. I really appreciate you all being respectful of them. Now to a couple specific follow ups:

To the person with the used F6B, hit me up with specifics. Understand it would have to make financial sense which would include a bank and a transfer from where you are to where I am in Colorado. (I'd most likely want to make a road trip out of it. :))

To the person saying the Indian and F6B are different riding styles, I would beg to differ having ridden both extensively. That is part of what makes consideration of the F6B possible but I can understand your comment if you've never ridden the Indian. I have never ridden a V-twin that is so well balanced and so stable and vibration free. As my wife says, it's alchemy. Where I see the difference is in style. I realize I'm style conscious and at my age, I'm unapologetic for that. But I appreciate both styles. Truth be told, the F6B style is more consistent with who I am: I believe in riding protection and full face helmets for instance. ;)

Maybe I should be giving the heated grips more consideration. I keep hearing about this "revelation" thing, I live in a highly variable climate and I do have some hand aches, numbness, etc.

I really hope I don't have to go for a taller windshield. This is one area where the F6B has it all over the Indian. I am absolutely adamant about looking over a windshield so that's the starting point. I could add SOME height and still look over but the way I've had it explained is the stock shorty blocks body wind and pretty much allows full helmet wind. Whereas slight increases in height actually induce buffeting. I'm just going on what I've been told here. I'll confer with my buddies at Clearview tomorrow.

To the person who claimed hardly any down sides to the F6B. I start hearing a growing list of nagging (non show stopping) ones. The biggest bummer is the "drone" of aftermarket pipes. I'm not a loud or "macho" pipe sound guy necessarily, but the stock "Jetsons" sound is border line embarrassing to my sensibilities. So I'd prioritized different pipes quite highly heavily favoring the Cobras because they look so bad*ss. I'd already noticed that first gear is way too short. Not a show stopper for me, but a nit. Earlier today I started reading about this "ghost shifting" thing that apparently is significant enough for Honda to address is more recent models. I've yet to determine how much of a concern that is.

The soul searching continues! I've just gotten back from a long brunch with my wife where she probed me deeply on all these issues adding on top, "How would you feel if I got an Indian in a year?" Since she's mostly thinking the Scout, that's not such a huge concern. :)

opas ride
08-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks folks for all the great advice up to now! I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive to come here with this in that I've posted questions to other forums only to have my premises completely disregarded. I really appreciate you all being respectful of them. Now to a couple specific follow ups:

To the person with the used F6B, hit me up with specifics. Understand it would have to make financial sense which would include a bank and a transfer from where you are to where I am in Colorado. (I'd most likely want to make a road trip out of it. :))

To the person saying the Indian and F6B are different riding styles, I would beg to differ having ridden both extensively. That is part of what makes consideration of the F6B possible but I can understand your comment if you've never ridden the Indian. I have never ridden a V-twin that is so well balanced and so stable and vibration free. As my wife says, it's alchemy. Where I see the difference is in style. I realize I'm style conscious and at my age, I'm unapologetic for that. But I appreciate both styles. Truth be told, the F6B style is more consistent with who I am: I believe in riding protection and full face helmets for instance. ;)

Maybe I should be giving the heated grips more consideration. I keep hearing about this "revelation" thing, I live in a highly variable climate and I do have some hand aches, numbness, etc.

I really hope I don't have to go for a taller windshield. This is one area where the F6B has it all over the Indian. I am absolutely adamant about looking over a windshield so that's the starting point. I could add SOME height and still look over but the way I've had it explained is the stock shorty blocks body wind and pretty much allows full helmet wind. Whereas slight increases in height actually induce buffeting. I'm just going on what I've been told here. I'll confer with my buddies at Clearview tomorrow.

To the person who claimed hardly any down sides to the F6B. I start hearing a growing list of nagging (non show stopping) ones. The biggest bummer is the "drone" of aftermarket pipes. I'm not a loud or "macho" pipe sound guy necessarily, but the stock "Jetsons" sound is border line embarrassing to my sensibilities. So I'd prioritized different pipes quite highly heavily favoring the Cobras because they look so bad*ss. I'd already noticed that first gear is way too short. Not a show stopper for me, but a nit. Earlier today I started reading about this "ghost shifting" thing that apparently is significant enough for Honda to address is more recent models. I've yet to determine how much of a concern that is.

The soul searching continues! I've just gotten back from a long brunch with my wife where she probed me deeply on all these issues adding on top, "How would you feel if I got an Indian in a year?" Since she's mostly thinking the Scout, that's not such a huge concern. :)

Again, I hope you make the choice that is right for you in the future...but I disagree with you on the Indian being vibration free compared to the F6B, there is no comparison as I also have ridden many, many new Indian bikes since they were introduced at several demo-days rides as a volunteer helper to the local dealers....I have also owned (2) different Victory bikes both a Kingpin Tourer and a 2011 Vision Tour...Both great bikes but nowhere , in my judgment, near as smooth, as powerful, nor as good handling as the F6B...The F6B is in a whole different league compared to any V-twins available as far as I am concerned....I have owned and ridden my share of big V-twins and am now totally sold on the rheostat like power delivery of the Honda 6 motor...and at the ripe old age of 74, I don't feel the need to shake, rattle and roll anymore!!!

Injun Joe
08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Again, I hope you make the choice that is right for you in the future...but I disagree with you on the Indian being vibration free compared to the F6B, there is no comparison as I also have ridden many, many new Indian bikes since they were introduced at several demo-days rides as a volunteer helper to the local dealers....I have also owned (2) different Victory bikes both a Kingpin Tourer and a 2011 Vision Tour...Both great bikes but nowhere , in my judgment, near as smooth, as powerful, nor as good handling as the F6B...The F6B is in a whole different league compared to any V-twins available as far as I am concerned....I have owned and ridden my share of big V-twins and am now totally sold on the rheostat like power delivery of the Honda 6 motor...and at the ripe old age of 74, I don't feel the need to shake, rattle and roll anymore!!!

We'll just have to agree to disagree then as my opinion is based on riding experience as well. But what I meant to say is that Indian v F6B is not the apples to oranges that say F6B v Harley would be.

RoadWeary
08-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Bigcabdaddy, I've never ridden the Indian, and I love the F6B, but the paint on the F6B is bad, and I wouldn't recommend buying the F6B because of that.

powercruzer13
08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
No regrets at all.
Coming from over 100,000 Valkyrie miles the only logical choice for me was an F6B. Anything else would have been a downgrade.
Wasn't ready for the full on Goldwing experience but I have always admired the awesome power & legendary longevity of the 1832 cc Honda flat 6. I was very happy to see the F6B come out as a stripped down GL1800, just what I wanted. I hear from lots of different stories about bikes having "souls" & some brands of bikes coming with a "lifestyle", I consider that complete nonsense.:icon_rolleyes:
Ride what turns you on & be happy about what the bike has to offer you. You make your own "lifestyle", the bike does not.
As far as windshields for the F6B, if you like wind in your face & just a little taken off your chest the stock w/s will be perfect for you. You can forget hearing the radio over 40 mph without a taller shield unless you are a midget. :shock::icon_lol:
Despite that Indian motorcycles are a 100 year old brand the fact is they now offer a brand new line up that does not have anywhere near the track record of the Honda GL1800. I agree with opa about the engine vibes, totally different league.
Get the F6B, you won't be sorry. :yes::yes:

Jimmytee
08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Bigcabdaddy, I've never ridden the Indian, and I love the F6B, but the paint on the F6B is bad, and I wouldn't recommend buying the F6B because of that.

I don't seem to have any issues with the Paint on my 2013 red:shrug:

Wild Bill
08-10-2014, 04:50 PM

I have no issues with the paint on mine eather. Fast Red!!!

opas ride
08-10-2014, 05:08 PM

I would not let any paint issues make the decision as the F6B is in a class by itself to me, as I said earlier...The Indian is an extremely nice bike and well thought out as are a couple of the new "Mt.Rushmore" Harley's all with nice paint jobs.....but nice paint jobs do not make for a decent motorcycle that will out-perform, in almost all ways, any all current V-twin on the market.....I still believe you cannot compare "apples with oranges" and make a proper choice on what you ride.....It seems to me that your "dream-bike" is the Indian and I would get it if you can, but don't look back at the F6B as you may regret your decision down the road...Regards

powercruzer13
08-10-2014, 05:55 PM
I would not let any paint issues make the decision as the F6B is in a class by itself to me, as I said earlier...The Indian is an extremely nice bike and well thought out as are a couple of the new "Mt.Rushmore" Harley's all with nice paint jobs.....but nice paint jobs do not make for a decent motorcycle that will out-perform, in almost all ways, any all current V-twin on the market.....I still believe you cannot compare "apples with oranges" and make a proper choice on what you ride.....It seems to me that your "dream-bike" is the Indian and I would get it if you can, but don't look back at the F6B as you may regret your decision down the road...Regards

Ditto.
If "perfect paint" & a certain look or impression to others are important to you then maybe you better get that stylish American assembled bike.
If smooth power, proven reliability, and miles of smiles are on your mind then Honda F6B it should be.

Scotrod
08-10-2014, 05:57 PM
I love my 6.

I think you should get the Indian.

ED209
08-10-2014, 06:03 PM
You cant go wrong with an F6B :biggthumpup:

DaWadd
08-10-2014, 06:20 PM
I'll just say get the center stand. Invaluable.

XKnight
08-10-2014, 06:54 PM
If your heart is set on an Indian Chieftain then get an Indian Chieftain otherwise you very well may regret it down the road. I would absolutely recommend that you test ride both the Indian and the F6b before making a decision since they are completely different bikes, not only in looks, but in feel, power, handling and riding position. I love the way the Chieftain looks, but after a demo ride I'm very happy I own the F6. Saving a few extra shekels is nice, but the main thing is that you get the bike you want and the one that makes you happiest.

RcBtx1999
08-10-2014, 06:57 PM
I will say that my motorcycling career started in 1964 behind the bars of a Honda 50cc Dream. Since then I have had Honda's (a few), a Norton (850cc commando), Harley's (too many to count....no really), a Goldwing 08 GL1800, a Valkyrie, Three Harley's in 2013, and finally 4 thousand miles ago a 2013, F6B. I think my F6B could be my last bike too, but after 50, I've thought every bike would be the last and now I'm 63. I will say though, as much as I love my F6B, that does not mean you are not going to be dealt a trough of guilt and regret by NOT getting that Chieftan, if that is what your heart is set on. The best thing I read in all these posts was the one from the guy in N.C who said, buy his, he has everything already on it. That means you get the F6B with equity. Pay down as much as you can afford on the loan and finance it forever and a day and then pay max payments every month you can. IF, you find out after 18 months that you'd rather have the INDIAN, trade your F6B or sell it outright. These are fantastic Motorcycles, they are going to be in demand used, you'll get to ride it and get a lot of your money back. Also, (I live in TEXAS) I heard locally just yesterday that INDIAN is right now running a promotion for 0% financing and 5 year warranty, that's a sweet deal too. Polaris (Victory-anyway) has had very liberal cash back and financing on their machines, especially last years model. I suspect as the new wears off the Indians they will do the same. You can have your cake and eat it too. In the case of the deluxe over the Standard, I wanted a Standard and the Deluxe 2013 was all my Dealer had, I got it for 16,400.00. Chatanooga sells them even cheaper and sometimes has 0% financing. In Colo, you'll probably appreciate those heated grips but you can get them aftermarket, a centerstand on eBay, and as for my backrest and passenger pegs, they are in the parts box, I'm a solo rider too. When it comes to bells and whistles on F6B, the few they throw in for the extra dough is not a big deal, if they had not given me the price they did, I would not have done it. Keeping all that in mind.............this is one bad ass Motorcycle, right out of the box, stock, it will blow away most anything bagger anyone else has even after they have bored,stroked, polished, blueprinted until their pockets are turned inside out. I have no regrets, unless they come out with a 2000cc F6B.:stirthepot:2212

Ericb445
08-10-2014, 06:58 PM
I say wait until you can find a used Indian, if that's the bike you really want.
I bet next year you will be able to find one lightly used for your price range. Or the market may tank on them like the F6B's. And you could find deep discounts on new ones.

RcBtx1999
08-10-2014, 07:01 PM
I say wait until you can find a used Indian, if that's the bike you really want.
I bet next year you will be able to find one lightly used for your price range. Or the market may tank on them like the F6B's. And you could find deep discounts on new ones.

:stirthepot::icon_lol::icon_razz::icon_biggrin::ic on_wink::lolup:

Johncmendenhall
08-10-2014, 07:28 PM
I traded in two motorcycles to get into the F6B.
I originally wanted the standard non deluxe in black.
I ended up with the red deluxe 2013 brand new.
Honda is the motorcycle for me. Why?
Cost is where it should be
Honda is totally reliable.
The flat six won't roast your balls on a hot day.
The throttle is smooth, responsive and non clunky.
This is my first Honda, and could not be more impressed with the whole
Purchase experience.
One the bikes I traded in was a Victory, and it was my experience that
Polaris does support their motorcycles the way they should.
That's my take on it. I am glad I don't a thunderstroke111 v twin
Keeping me warm when stuck in traffic.
My honda radiator cooling keep nice and cool
Later

hiflyer
08-10-2014, 07:44 PM
None whatsoever, my choice to buy the F6B came during a trip to Yellowstone last year about this time. I thought, there has got to be something that is not as hot as this Harley I'm riding, that has a chassis that doesn't flex when ridden aggressively, that is smoother, quieter, and faster. Two weeks later I bought my 6. I've ridden almost everything in my 52 years of riding. I'm 58. I haven't decided whether I like the looks of the Indians, but it doesn't matter, I'll never own one. As far as paint? No issues for me after a can of Liquid Glass. I love the ease of maintenance of the 6 also. Go with your gut, get what you want. Just remember, after there are enough Indians out there, you'll start hearing complaints about them too. It's human nature.

I just got in from a 300 mile day trip to visit my mother, I smiled the whole trip.........and nobody passed me.

fxdl2051
08-11-2014, 01:11 AM
You know you're doing the right thing when it makes sense to no one, much less yourself. But you do it anyways. I've been riding for 40 years, Harleys for 12. 10 minutes on the f6 and my Harley was doomed. Few weeks of finagling prices and bye bye Milwaukee's finest. No regrets, riding is fun again, relaxing, refreshing and joyous. That's the f6b working it's magic. I bought a standard and added all the upgrades except the self canceling turns signals, all were worth it. Bought black, but in a few years it will be passé, wished sometimes I'd gone red but it was too radical at the time. No other regrets, lovin' it. Do it!

ED209
08-11-2014, 04:30 AM
I'll just say get the center stand. Invaluable.

2. on wish list :icon_lol:

First I need that backrest........

Scotrod
08-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Indian!!! Why? In a few years, they will be even more rare than they are now!!! :shock:

SmallPasture
08-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Buy mine....it is for sale and it already has all those extra accessories on it.

HUH??? Say it aint so??? What's the scoop?:shrug:

VP8
08-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Big, don't rush into purchasing your next ride...it's a huge investment...not only the base cost, but the cost and time for all the upgrades/accessories you would add to the bike.

First off, getting the right bike depends on what type of style riding you do. Do you just like to put put/cruise around for short distances? Do you like to go on long haul 3-4 or 14 day trips? Do you like to drag knee in the canyons? And even sometimes, we based our ride on what our friends all ride. I owned two bikes prior to purchasing my F6B. I owned the Yamaha FJR (more sport and a bit touring) and the Victory Cross Country (Bagger for touring). Well, I won't go into the details of my Yamaha as that was a fine bike. I just couldn't take that bike on long 4 day trips, but man, that was a fun bike and very maneuverable. I'll explain more of why I got rid of the Victory since it too is manufactured by Polaris. I really liked the look of my Victory...I had added a ton of after market parts to make that bike look bad ass. The ride of my Victory was smooth and very roomy, I was able to stretch out with the super long floorboards. Within a year I rode that bike for approximately 25K miles. The problem with that bike was, I had numerous warranty problems with it throughout my ownership. Issues from a rear porous cylinder head (replaced twice), replaced cruise control module, belt pulley replaced due to squealing, primary gasket replaced, there were missing corner pieces in my saddlebags which created air gaps, hard start issues due to over heating, rear shock seepage (required replacement), and the last straw was the alternator died during a ride.

Now, I owned the Victory for a total of 17 months, and all these issued occurred during that short time period. Now, did Polaris take care of me as they should to any of their customer? Not really. Unless you think it's standard to wait two weeks for an in-stock part to arrive to your dealership. For my 1st rear cylinder head replacement, my bike was at the dealer for three weeks. The 2nd rear cylinder head replacement, my bike was at the dealer for 44 days....luckily I had my FJR to ride otherwise I would have been real bitchy. I don't think that's acceptable, but everyone has their own standards.

I need a dependable bike, and my Victory was far from it. I had just returned from a 4-day road trip three days prior to my alternator failed. If that had happened during my trip, I would have be screwed. So that was when I started looking at other alternative instead of waiting for my warranty to expire.

On another note, there are Honda dealerships just about everywhere...I have one four miles away from my house. As for a Victory dealership, I have to ride 45 miles to one to have it serviced. As for Indian dealerships...those are even fewer and far between.

Big, I'm not pushing you to pushing you either way...I just wanted you to be informed on what I went through. It doesn't mean every Victory or Indian is going to have all those issues. I have friends who have Victories and they don't have any problems. And I have one friend that is frustrated like I was with his warranty issues as Polaris gave him a two week date for his rear shock to arrive, but extended it to four weeks.

Good luck Big!!

Injun Joe
08-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Big, don't rush into purchasing your next ride...it's a huge investment...not only the base cost, but the cost and time for all the upgrades/accessories you would add to the bike.

First off, getting the right bike depends on what type of style riding you do. Do you just like to put put/cruise around for short distances? Do you like to go on long haul 3-4 or 14 day trips? Do you like to drag knee in the canyons? And even sometimes, we based our ride on what our friends all ride. I owned two bikes prior to purchasing my F6B. I owned the Yamaha FJR (more sport and a bit touring) and the Victory Cross Country (Bagger for touring). Well, I won't go into the details of my Yamaha as that was a fine bike. I just couldn't take that bike on long 4 day trips, but man, that was a fun bike and very maneuverable. I'll explain more of why I got rid of the Victory since it too is manufactured by Polaris. I really liked the look of my Victory...I had added a ton of after market parts to make that bike look bad ass. The ride of my Victory was smooth and very roomy, I was able to stretch out with the super long floorboards. Within a year I rode that bike for approximately 25K miles. The problem with that bike was, I had numerous warranty problems with it throughout my ownership. Issues from a rear porous cylinder head (replaced twice), replaced cruise control module, belt pulley replaced due to squealing, primary gasket replaced, there were missing corner pieces in my saddlebags which created air gaps, hard start issues due to over heating, rear shock seepage (required replacement), and the last straw was the alternator died during a ride.

Now, I owned the Victory for a total of 17 months, and all these issued occurred during that short time period. Now, did Polaris take care of me as they should to any of their customer? Not really. Unless you think it's standard to wait two weeks for an in-stock part to arrive to your dealership. For my 1st rear cylinder head replacement, my bike was at the dealer for three weeks. The 2nd rear cylinder head replacement, my bike was at the dealer for 44 days....luckily I had my FJR to ride otherwise I would have been real bitchy. I don't think that's acceptable, but everyone has their own standards.

I need a dependable bike, and my Victory was far from it. I had just returned from a 4-day road trip three days prior to my alternator failed. If that had happened during my trip, I would have be screwed. So that was when I started looking at other alternative instead of waiting for my warranty to expire.

On another note, there are Honda dealerships just about everywhere...I have one four miles away from my house. As for a Victory dealership, I have to ride 45 miles to one to have it serviced. As for Indian dealerships...those are even fewer and far between.

Big, I'm not pushing you to pushing you either way...I just wanted you to be informed on what I went through. It doesn't mean every Victory or Indian is going to have all those issues. I have friends who have Victories and they don't have any problems. And I have one friend that is frustrated like I was with his warranty issues as Polaris gave him a two week date for his rear shock to arrive, but extended it to four weeks.

Good luck Big!!

That is all VERY concerning VP and that sort of information is what I'm here for. That being said, I'd not heard the like from other Polaris product owners. Dealer network concern is a very real factor -- but not so much that I'm pursuing HD where I could find somebody to work on my bike on every corner not to mention dealerships.

Riding wise, sounds like I fall somewhere in between your categories. I'm a ~400 mile a day rider comfortably. I've thought about challenging myself with an iron butt ride but it would be just that -- a MAJOR challenge. If I buy in Chattanooga or Little Rock, I'd be looking at ~600 mile days I figure and even that would be a challenge on my present bike at least. As far as knee dragging, the couple times I've scraped pegs scared the hell out of me. I had a slammed M109R a few years ago and would drag my boot heel now and then on it but that's about all. My wife has to be very patient to follow me in the twisties around here because she likes to take them faster than I do. Stylistically, I can swing both ways, but to be honest with myself, I probably fit the Gold Wing category more than the cruiser. I don't have tattoos or biceps even and I believe in full face helmets and proper riding gear. But if I had that M109R again or something like the Triumph Rocket which also visually appeals to me, I'd want something like a Honda Helix to putt around town on. As you see, I'm a bit of a chameleon when it comes to style. That too frustrates my wife who is even more all in with Indian than I am.

Scotrod
08-11-2014, 01:11 PM
VP, I wish I could say your experiences with Polaris products were 'unheard of' but they are far more common than they should be.
I was in the market last summer, waiting for the triple digit heat to subside before I bought,,, I had all the time in the world to consider all makes/models, and I was leaning heavily towards Victory,

A couple months on the Vic boards was enough to see several folks with problems like yours,,, Too many for the number of bikes Vic has on the road,,, :icon_frown:

On the other hand, the flat-six based platform of the F6B is darn near bullet-proof, with millions upon millions of miles covered.

You could say it's got Honda Goldwing 'Heritage',,,, if you're the type of person who needs to hear/see 'Heritage' :shrug:

Indian? Made by Polaris? If they can't get the Vic's right,,,,,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,, maybe a different nameplate on the tank and a good dose of "Indian [made by Polaris] ~Heritage~" commercials will help with that! :crackup:

RcBtx1999
08-11-2014, 01:45 PM
2. on wish list :icon_lol:

First I need that backrest........

I do not use that passenger backrest, never have. I'll see it to you but you'll have to swap back mountain plates with me.

Tim Reilly
Boerne, TX

WingStuff
08-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the forum from San Clemente, Ca. Best of luck with your search!

Steve 0080
08-11-2014, 02:47 PM
BigCabDaddy "We'll just have to agree to disagree then as my opinion is based on riding experience as well. But what I meant to say is that Indian v F6B is not the apples to oranges that say F6B v Harley would be."

Go Indian or you will never be happy!!! The worst mistake in life in my opinion is "settling" never settle ...if you never own another bike at least you will not have wasted any of your money on a Honda.....

Indian= 2 cyl. H.D.= 2cyl. ////////////// F6B = 6 cyl

APPLES ///////////// Orange

XKnight
08-11-2014, 05:43 PM
That is all VERY concerning VP and that sort of information is what I'm here for. That being said, I'd not heard the like from other Polaris product owners. Dealer network concern is a very real factor -- but not so much that I'm pursuing HD where I could find somebody to work on my bike on every corner not to mention dealerships.

I owned a Polaris Victory Cross Roads. I put 5 thousand miles on it in 5 months and it was in the shop for weeks at a time. I bought it brand new and had more issues with that Victory than any other bike I've ever owned. Oil seepage/leaks and various electrical issues were the primary problems. The dealer would keep the bike for a few weeks, tell me it's fixed, and then a week later I'd notice the same issue that they supposedly fixed. After that experience I'm done with Victory and although I really like the new Indians I wouldn't buy one until they have a proven record of reliability.

motoman
08-11-2014, 05:46 PM
If you're even considering the Indian, get the Indian.

I don't think you belong here.

If you're looking for problems with the F6B, you won't find any.

You sound like you have trouble making decisions.

'Nuff said.

opas ride
08-11-2014, 06:27 PM
If you're even considering the Indian, get the Indian.

I don't think you belong here.

If you're looking for problems with the F6B, you won't find any.

You sound like you have trouble making decisions.

'Nuff said.

I agree with motorman...After re-reading several posts above, I think your just searching for other opinions and are not really interested in the F6B...Stick with the Indian and then you will be happy, your wife happy, and those who ride Indians will be happy!!!..Good Luck

Brian D
08-11-2014, 06:38 PM
I can say this much. One year ago I was in a similar situation. I was looking at the f6b vs harley road glide. I bought the good old American dream or should I say nightmare. And here I am one year later and traded in the nightmare for the bike I should have bought in the first place. Sounds to me like you really want the Indian So just buy it. But like others have already said. There is no comparison between the f6 and the Indian The f6 is way better

richw56
08-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Bigcabdaddy -

No regrets here on the F6B. It's amazing.
But I think you might be over-analyzing this.
I'm analytical too, but if I get too carried away with it, a purchase decision can become like a painful job, instead of being fun.
And purchasing a recreational item like a motorcycle should be more fun than pain!
You have to follow your heart/gut. Whichever way you go, you'll be able to rationalize why it made sense to do what you did at the time, anyway. So don't worry about that.
Don't worry too much about little details, or what we on the forum think, or even what your wife thinks.
Getting input is helpful, of course, but always remember that at the end of the day, it's nobody's ride but yours.
Ride what YOU love.
Best of luck!

- Rich

Injun Joe
08-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Bigcabdaddy -

No regrets here on the F6B. It's amazing.
But I think you might be over-analyzing this.
I'm analytical too, but if I get too carried away with it, a purchase decision can become like a painful job, instead of being fun.
And purchasing a recreational item like a motorcycle should be more fun than pain!
You have to follow your heart/gut. Whichever way you go, you'll be able to rationalize why it made sense to do what you did at the time, anyway. So don't worry about that.
Don't worry too much about little details, or what we on the forum think, or even what your wife thinks.
Getting input is helpful, of course, but always remember that at the end of the day, it's nobody's ride but yours.
Ride what YOU love.
Best of luck!

- Rich

Hey Rich, thanks for that.

Seems like a few other folks might be getting heated so maybe it's time to shut this thread down. Last thing I want to be doing is trolling. But there's a few misconceptions I'd like to try to clear up before I bow out -- bow out from the thread, not the forum. I'm not going to quit the forum unless I do in fact decide against the F6B.

That's probably as good a place to start as any. I think it's better than even money I'll be getting a F6B despite some very sound advice I've gotten here to the contrary. I was all set to walk in today and sign on the dotted line in fact. The only thing that messed that up is learning about a couple of those huge dealerships that may or may not have the F6B at a couple thousand dollars less than I'd be getting it for here locally. But either way, I'd still be getting a brand spanking new 2013 F6B.

One weird morphing thing that's happened here is that some think this is one of those which is better threads -- not my intent at all. Personally, I think the new Indian and the F6B are exquisite bikes. I guess I did start to get my hackles up a few times when folks seemed to be trying to make the F6B look good by bad mouthing the Indian -- maybe that's where the which is better thing came from and if so, I apologize for that. Another thing that kind of snuck in somewhere is that I was trying to decide between the two. That never was the issue. Like I say, the folks saying, "Get the Indian if that's what you want." really make a fantastic point except that's simply not going to happen any time in the foreseeable future. I doubt it's ever going to happen at all. Where I started was trying to figure out if I could be happy with the F6B if the Indian was really my dream bike. The thing I don't want is to buy the F6B and then still pine away wishing I had an Indian. Once again, where things are at for me is the Indian is my unattainable dream. So that being the case, can I be truly happy and proud as an owner of an F6B or should I stick with my perfectly serviceable and adequate VStar?

One thing I now realize I didn't emphasize enough is that I'm really after the "juice" of owning a new bike -- one that I chose and put every mile, scratch and dent on. One where I decided on each and every accessory or mod. That's why the eventual used and affordable Indian wouldn't do it for me. That would just be another hand-me-down -- just the same as every other bike I've ever owned. That's where the F6B would be awesome -- it's an affordable blank platform/canvas/whatever that I can put my stamp on. I love the F6B as it comes straight out of the box -- apparently more than a lot of you do from what I read here. But what makes it so great is the large and avid owners like all of you that drive a huge diversity of aftermarket parts. I've already had a blast researching this, that, or the other thing that I could do to the F6B -- not because I feel like it needs it, but because I think it would be cool and would make it my own. In that sense, the only thing that surpasses the Goldwing/F6B market would be Harley. But obviously from this thread, the Goldwing/F6B owners are very passionate about there choice as well and I love that.

Somebody in the last few posts tried to call me out as having trouble making decisions. Hey buddy, tell me something I don't know already. I fret over the smallest decisions, but this one is one that I see as quite possibly a once in a lifetime thing. Someone else said they chose another direction and then came back to the F6B a year later after realizing their mistake. That can't be me. A year from now, I'm going to be upside down on a year old motorcycle. I know I won't be able "come out" financially... probably ever. That's the nature of buying new and having to finance. Bottom line is a do over a short time down the line isn't going to be a possibility and that makes the decision process that much harder for me.

But Rich, that brings it back to you. You're right in that I am over thinking this and I just need to have fun with it. Will I have fun if I get a F6B? You bet I will. I have a blast on a VStar that never was my choice -- I know I'll have a blast on the F6B. Will I still look lustfully at every Indian I pass? At this point, I'm thinking yeah -- I probably will. But maybe not. Maybe I'll be so thrilled with my flat six bagger that when I pass I'll be thinking, "Man, I'm glad I dodged that bullet."

Anyway, thanks to those that have offered me some great insights and sorry to those that seem to be getting a little hot under the collar. This thread's been great and I'm out.

Johncmendenhall
08-12-2014, 12:30 AM
This motor is a sculpted work of art, no doubt.
This is also a classic v twin that is going to be very warm in summer, in traffic and may well generate heat in excess of 300 deg f.
I test ride the Chieftan and found first gear to short, not tall, that's a lot of weight to get moving
And having to put that bike in second right away seems a bit off. IMHO.
I went f6b and have none of conversational topics,
Later

Darkknight
08-12-2014, 05:12 AM
Well, I have 11,000 miles on my 2013 black deluxe. Many on this forum have much more.

The look of this bike was so strikingly different than 90% of the bikes around here, I jumped at it like a trout to a fly. I tend to ride it "forcefully" when I don't have my sweetheart snuggling up behind me.
I have not noticed any ghost shifts. Sweetie loved the stock seat and really loves the new Ultimate. Exaust drone isn't bad with Torqmaster, but baffles or torque loops are said to fix any unpleasant tones.

But if I wanted to be like "everyone" else around here (in CT), I'd get the Vtwin of whatever make. You can change the color, raise the bars, make it louder, add or remove the bat-fairing and they still all look very much alike to me.

Watching people walk past other bikes to get a closer look at this one and wonder what exactly is it, is a feeling I just can't explain.

Is it perfect? No. Sometimes the riding position cramps my hips. That could be I'm just fat or that I ride many more miles without stopping on this bike. The paint issues have been well documented.

I want to ride a bike that looks different from the rest. Has proven dependablility, comfortable, and will provide the needed addrenalin rush upon request. This bike simply does it for me, but everyone is different I suppose. I like to be different...

Steve 0080
08-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Well, I have 11,000 miles on my 2013 black deluxe. Many on this forum have much more.

The look of this bike was so strikingly different than 90% of the bikes around here, I jumped at it like a trout to a fly. I tend to ride it "forcefully" when I don't have my sweetheart snuggling up behind me.
I have not noticed any ghost shifts. Sweetie loved the stock seat and really loves the new Ultimate. Exaust drone isn't bad with Torqmaster, but baffles or torque loops are said to fix any unpleasant tones.

But if I wanted to be like "everyone" else around here (in CT), I'd get the Vtwin of whatever make. You can change the color, raise the bars, make it louder, add or remove the bat-fairing and they still all look very much alike to me.

Watching people walk past other bikes to get a closer look at this one and wonder what exactly is it, is a feeling I just can't explain.

Is it perfect? No. Sometimes the riding position cramps my hips. That could be I'm just fat or that I ride many more miles without stopping on this bike. The paint issues have been well documented.

I want to ride a bike that looks different from the rest. Has proven dependablility, comfortable, and will provide the needed addrenalin rush upon request. This bike simply does it for me, but everyone is different I suppose. I like to be different...

+1 and very well said!!!! I 'm glad this post is winding down too. No one should go onto a board and think the board members will kick the very bike they own to say that another is better...never going to happen. On THIS board, we don't do that anyway or allow it. Our main purpose on this F6B Board is that we all get along, poke fun every now and then and hope that all members and visitors just ride!!!

Scotrod
08-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Like I say, the folks saying, "Get the Indian if that's what you want." really make a fantastic point except that's simply not going to happen any time in the foreseeable future. I doubt it's ever going to happen at all

Holy hairspray,,, :icon_doh:
(Grabs another blue hat from the closet,,,)

motoman
08-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Let me just add that if I were to buy an Indian, I'd definitely get the Scout.

Good-looking, interesting bike. I'm sure it will outsell the Chief(?) 2-1.

NOMOHARLEY
08-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Well I am not much for posting an opinion but for me the F6B is an amazing bike. Here is a little back ground. I have owned bikes sense I was 14. First bike was a Honda 450. But of late I have owned HARLEY's and I rode them. The 09 Street glide I rode 70000 plus miles on it in just 2 years while being on the rode 260 days a year for work. But I rode every second I was at home. I did 2 1100 Mile Iron butts in 2 consecutive weekends and then a 1500 mile in 24 hour Butt Burner Gold ride the weekend after. It was great and I enjoyed every mile. Then traded it for a 2012 ultra limited put close to 20000 miles on it before I traded it for my F6. Love the F6b it looks great and I don't see one every time a bike goes by. So far no regrets at all. I do not need a bike to make me the man that I am. Oh an I am in a 3 patch club and have had a few looks but most just come up and want to know what the hell it is. By the time we are done talking they tell me they would like to go ride one. Maybe not own one. lol

I have ridden almost every bike on the market except the BMW and hands down the F6B is my favorite. Though the Indian was nice it does not handle like the F6B nor does it have the reputation to last. If this bike purchase is to last you the rest of your life you got to go with the F6B.

But opinions are like....well every one has one.

Injun Joe
08-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Well I am not much for posting an opinion but for me the F6B is an amazing bike. Here is a little back ground. I have owned bikes sense I was 14. First bike was a Honda 450. But of late I have owned HARLEY's and I rode them. The 09 Street glide I rode 70000 plus miles on it in just 2 years while being on the rode 260 days a year for work. But I rode every second I was at home. I did 2 1100 Mile Iron butts in 2 consecutive weekends and then a 1500 mile in 24 hour Butt Burner Gold ride the weekend after. It was great and I enjoyed every mile. Then traded it for a 2012 ultra limited put close to 20000 miles on it before I traded it for my F6. Love the F6b it looks great and I don't see one every time a bike goes by. So far no regrets at all. I do not need a bike to make me the man that I am. Oh an I am in a 3 patch club and have had a few looks but most just come up and want to know what the hell it is. By the time we are done talking they tell me they would like to go ride one. Maybe not own one. lol

I have ridden almost every bike on the market except the BMW and hands down the F6B is my favorite. Though the Indian was nice it does not handle like the F6B nor does it have the reputation to last. If this bike purchase is to last you the rest of your life you got to go with the F6B.

But opinions are like....well every one has one.

Nomo, thanks for the input. That last part is what won me over in my own mind: If it comes to it, I can see me riding the F6 as a sidecar rig one day down the line before I'm through. :crackup: Obviously, the Chieftain would make an awesome looking sidecar hack as well, but at that point, bolting one on a hopefully well used air cooled worries me a little.

I've got an appointment to sign my life away at 9:30 Saturday morning... That is if I don't get antsy and break away from work before. :shhh:

Finally, you have got to be insane and tougher than nails to have done that kind of riding! All the propers man. I've thought of challenging myself to and iron butt and maybe I'll do just that now that I'll have something of a rocket powered easy chair, but I know it would be a challenge for me no matter what the bike. I'm more like a 400 mile a day guy myself. No brag, just fact as Walter Brennon used to say a long time ago.

Thanks again for the input.

Bruce B
08-13-2014, 03:00 PM
If your dream bike is the Indian, find a way to get it. Might have to wait a bit, but go for it. The F6B is great and I love mine but if it's not your dream bike, don't get it. If you get the F6B, you'll have an ache every time you see an Indian on the road. Especially if you're thinking that you're probably on your last bike. And don't be too hasty to mentally limit your future years of riding. There are more than a few of us here on the forum who have age 70 disappearing way back in the rear view mirrors.

austin_tech
08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Get the Indian. The Cheiftain is a great bike. Plus, you're from MN.

Philcole
08-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Subjectivity is such a subjective thing!!!!!!!!!!!! The F6B I have is just what I wanted. There are always positives and negatives in any group discussion about material things.
The F6B was a very good value for money bike in Australia. I bought mine after 3 years on a Kawasaki Mean Streak. I loved that bike to death but wanted some slightly more modern technology. I looked at a number of bikes including a couple of models of the ubiquitous American assembled one. I ultimately made my choice on the comfort for me, the power for me, the ability of the bike to handle long miles without crippling my back, and the way it made me feel.
11 months later, I still find it a bloody comfortable bike to ride, I can go long distances (500 plus KMS) a day, the power is far more than sensibly needed, but great when you don't want to be sensible, and I still feel great riding it.
I would not change it for any bike at present. I too looked at Victory's, Kawasaki Vacquero, and other bits an pieces. Love it to death. I have heard others say about poor paint work. Not my experience but, if there is an issue I would expect Honda to address that. Mine is black and there is not issue from my point of view.
My summary. Buy one. You wont really regret it unless you actually want something else and then you will talk yourself into not liking it. Get one and enjoy it.

srt8-in-largo
08-14-2014, 12:37 AM
After getting the F6...

- I couldn't stop riding it
- 4,000 miles in the first month of ownership
- my car sat so long that its' battery died

Regrets...

- not getting one sooner

Ride safe.

racer
08-14-2014, 12:17 PM
My "dream bike" remains the new Indian Chieftain -- not so much for riding reasons as for style and image and yes, the "American" factor although that goes deeper for me being a Minnesota boy and Polaris being a Minnesota company in origin.

What say ye?

Buy your dream bike. you only live once. :yes:

austin_tech
08-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Buy your dream bike. you only live once. :yes:

+1. Don't settle when it comes to chicks or motorcycles.

luckyluciano
08-14-2014, 06:38 PM
+1. Don't settle when it comes to chicks or motorcycles.

I agree. Buy your dream bike. The Indian has Nostalgic good looks like many V-twins. The F6b is Modern good looks and modern performance and handling unlike any other bike.

If you favour the Nostalgic one of the boys look, you have to Indian.
If you favour the independence of riding something unique into the future, its F6b.

From reading your OP it sounds like your into Nostalgia, you said its your dream bike. Therefore wait a year or two and get the Indian as they drop in price. Not selling very good up here. Stats say otherwise but all i see are Harley's and sport bikes around here and no Indians.

You are on the wrong forum if you are hoping to see which bike is better. Most of us are biased to the Honda. Go to an Indian Forum & they will tell you how great the Indian is.

But honestly, the Indian is all show and little go. Very disappointing engine. Even salespeople who sell both will tell you the same. My 12 year old VTX was much more fun to ride when it comes to responsiveness.
The 6 is a whole different sport in riding.

I have fun on the f6b and I get the looks and compliments as well. To me, this is MY dream bike. Recently did a charity ride with 1500 bikes. Most riders walked past the sea of V-twins to look at my Very FAST & UNIQUE 6. Puts a smile on my face on the bike not just off the bike. Best all around bike built IMO.

opas ride
08-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Recently helped out at local Indian Dealer's Demo-days with a few friends that I met when I rode a Victory Vision...Parked my F6B towards the back of the lot so as not to take away anything from those attending to ride the new Indians...Sales person came to me after a while and asked me if I would mind moving my bike out back of the service area as it appeared more people were looking at the F6B and asking questions than those that came to see/ride the new Indians!!!!...I said sure will and did so...A couple of on-lookers actually wanted to take the F6B for a ride thinking it belonged to the Indian dealer....

RcBtx1999
08-14-2014, 08:17 PM

That is EXACTLY what I love about our bikes! SPOT ON!!!:stirthepot:

FF-Ed
08-30-2014, 07:32 PM

you hit the nail on the head!

Don't be wishy washy! Make a choice and go for it! Either buy the F6B or buy the Indian, that's up to you.

If you go on the indian riders website they'll tell you to buy it! There is little to no reason to keep coming here if you want a indian