PDA

View Full Version : Weight Limit

bigswole31
08-10-2014, 01:01 PM
All,

I'm considering doing some 2-up riding, but I came across a bit of info in the manual: the total weight limit of the bike, including rider, passenger and cargo is 410 lbs. :yikes:

Are most of you guys and your riding partners falling in this range?? I'm about 6'4" and over 300 lbs. If this is correct, NO ONE that I know will be able to ride with me. :banghead:

Wild Bill
08-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Well I hate to admit to this but the wife and I have it overloaded and then add gear and a trailer.Havent had any problems.

foodog2
08-10-2014, 01:45 PM
The wife and I have overloaded mine too. I would guess 500Lbs rider and passenger and that was without adjusting the pre-load. Its better now with the shock on max adjustment. We could still run 80MPH and MPG was around 38MPG regular back roads cruising.

Big Jay
08-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Yep, Me and my wife overload the bike with just us, then we add our stuff. Got the preload at max, every thing seems to be fine so far.

marmilia
08-10-2014, 04:48 PM
You should be fine, my wife and myself alone exceed the weight limit and we just got back from a 1700 mile round trip with the bike loaded up and pulling a trailer. I just turned the pre load all the way up and added a few lbs of air to the tires and the 6 handled it like a champ, pulled hills incredibly easy and cruised so easy down the interstate at 85 mph I could hardly believe it.:icon_cool:

srt8-in-largo
08-11-2014, 11:55 PM
The 410 lb limit only applies to small Japanese people :icon_lol:

RoadWeary
08-12-2014, 08:10 PM
May just be an issue during heavy braking, although the bike weighs over 800 lbs so I'm not sure.

Steve 0080
08-12-2014, 08:55 PM
For you larger types....Go over to Wind Stuff and pick out a set of Progressive front and rear shocks and all your problems will be solved...just the price you have paid you whole life for being in the top 1%.....

Scotrod
08-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Another consideration:

OEM rear tire is only rated at 74 (827 lbs)

Front is 63 (600 lbs)

Assuming ~ 50/50~ weight distribution on the bike alone,, eh,,, maybe 400+ on that rear already.

Rider/passenger/gear weight,,, say, maybe 500 combined,,,, 'mostly' biased towards the rear,,, Gets ya closer to perhaps beyond the 827# tire rating,,,

The E3 is rated at 80 (992 lbs) 165#'s higher than OEM, but,,,,, Simply changing tires alone does not increase you vehicles GVW rating. (Sorry DS'ers)

I'm not small and neither is the Mrs. Staying well within the rated load carrying capacity of our bikes is yet another reason we each ride our own. :icon_wink:

olds34dude
08-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I think even trikes say not to put 15 lbs. in the trunk! try common sense

Steve 0080
08-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I think even trikes say not to put 15 lbs. in the trunk! try common sense

Sorry, but a little confused....if a rider is 6'5" and weighs over 400# ( I think we have 2-3 of these types) your saying they should not be able to ride? Or are you saying there are aftermarket items that would allow them to ride on our F6B's... there was a time when I was jealous of their size as I thought it was way cool...until I befriended a couple and found out that NOTHING fit them...then I was happy with my 5'10" 230#s......but alas size does matter!

P.S...Honda's numbers have a lot of room built into them as well....

rumble-b
08-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Sorry, but a little confused....if a rider is 6'5" and weighs over 400# ( I think we have 2-3 of these types) your saying they should not be able to ride? Or are you saying there are aftermarket items that would allow them to ride on our F6B's... there was a time when I was jealous of their size as I thought it was way cool...until I befriended a couple and found out that NOTHING fit them...then I was happy with my 5'10" 230#s......but alas size does matter!

P.S...Honda's numbers have a lot of room built into them as well....

You are right there , Steve. I'm 6'4" and about 310 lbs and finding a MC that will fit is hard. Most manufacturers boast on how low the seat height is and how it's an easy reach to the bars. Us "sensibly proportioned :icon_biggrin:" people aren't looking for that necessarily. Luckily the F6 fits like a glove for me and has the power to move me and my wife ( when she's not riding her Sporty) easily. As for the weight limits, you're right, there is a lot of leeway built into those numbers. If you go over them the bike isn't going to collapse, but the handling characteristics may change. Companies have to draw the lines for their safety margins somewhere.

RoadWeary
08-13-2014, 06:40 PM
"sensibly proportioned" I like that, it should be on a 3x t-shirt and I would buy one.

BIGLRY
08-13-2014, 06:48 PM
I like that, it should be on a 3x t-shirt and I would buy one.
3X............
:lolup: make it in a 6X Hanes Beefy-T and I'll take two"ccsmiley"

racer
08-14-2014, 12:27 PM
All,

I'm considering doing some 2-up riding, but I came across a bit of info in the manual: the total weight limit of the bike, including rider, passenger and cargo is 410 lbs. :yikes:

Are most of you guys and your riding partners falling in this range?? I'm about 6'4" and over 300 lbs. If this is correct, NO ONE that I know will be able to ride with me. :banghead:

If people paid attention to load specs, no one would ride two up. Most are exceeded with some regularity.