PDA

View Full Version : DIN to 3.5mm jack?

Injun Joe
08-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Is such a mod possible? Seems like it should be. I'd rather have IEMs (earbuds) of my choice integrated with the sound system as opposed to the intercom speakers of an intercom I'd never use.

BIGLRY
08-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Is such a mod possible? Seems like it should be. I'd rather have IEMs (earbuds) of my choice integrated with the sound system as opposed to the intercom speakers of an intercom I'd never use.I got mine off Ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0&_nkw=DIN+to+3.5mm+jack&_sacat=0
There are many to choose from. this is the one I bought to plug my ER•4 MicroPro earbuds into http://www.ebay.com/itm/1ft-3-5mm-TRS-Jack-to-Bang-Olufsen-Din5-Audio-Adapter-/270689551734?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f065ac576
I use and love my ER•4 MicroPro earbuds http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html:yes:

FlaMike
08-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Got this one, work great. http://www.aerostich.com/intercom-system-adapter.html

Injun Joe
08-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys. Awesome amount of help on this forum. BigLry, I take it you don't wear a helmet with those IEMs, huh? I'm looking for ones that are flat (physically), have a decent amount of bass yet aren't TOO sealed. The Apple earbuds don't quite cut it compared to the headphones I have at home. ;)

Steve 0080
08-10-2014, 09:27 PM
+1

BIGLRY
08-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys. Awesome amount of help on this forum. BigLry, I take it you don't wear a helmet with those IEMs, huh? I'm looking for ones that are flat (physically), have a decent amount of bass yet aren't TOO sealed. The Apple earbuds don't quite cut it compared to the headphones I have at home. ;)I wear a 1/2 helmet (novelty) as Calif. requires something(I make my own DOT sticker for the back).
My hat size is 8 1/4, no one makes a skid lid that fits me comfortably, I have tried them all.
I have no problems with the ER•4 MicroPro earbuds fitting under the straps, they are not as obtrusive as they look and the sound from them is like no other earbuds I've tried, plus I love the noise canceling they provide. I have been wearing them on rides for over 14 yrs, sometimes I don't even pug in, just wear them for the noise canceling when riding with H-D. :shhh:

motoman
08-11-2014, 11:50 AM
I bought this one. Short cable makes easy to plug in earbuds. Very pleased.
Of course, Honda should have provided this to begin with, since they did provide other audio options. Seems obvious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Gold-Wing-Headphone-Adapter-5-pin-GOLD-DIN-to-3-5mm-GOLD-Jack-/380959148054?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item58b2ef4816

Injun Joe
08-11-2014, 11:51 AM
I wear a 1/2 helmet (novelty) as Calif. requires something(I make my own DOT sticker for the back).
My hat size is 8 1/4, no one makes a skid lid that fits me comfortably, I have tried them all.
I have no problems with the ER•4 MicroPro earbuds fitting under the straps, they are not as obtrusive as they look and the sound from them is like no other earbuds I've tried, plus I love the noise canceling they provide. I have been wearing them on rides for over 14 yrs, sometimes I don't even pug in, just wear them for the noise canceling when riding with H-D. :shhh:

I actually do the same -- my earbuds are my ear plugs. I actually don't listen to music while riding all that often. I'm kind of an old school, no frills kind of rider -- part of what I'm having to reconcile in considering a move to an F6B. Funny thing is that it doesn't offer the electronic frills I'd most be after if I were so inclined -- things like cruise control, GPS and adjustable shield. Anyway, back to earphones, I most often wear a pretty tight fitting full face so earbud profile is a definite concern. Otherwise, you'd have done a good job selling the ERs. Tough part about so much of this including earbuds is there is no way to try before you buy. I'm active on headfi.org, but the last time I asked for recommendations there, they were like, "Oh my God! You can't ride a motorcycle with ear phones!"

Scotrod
08-11-2014, 12:21 PM

BIGLRY, I don't mind payin good $ for good stuff, but 3 Ben is a chunk of change,,, How long have you had yours and is there anything you would not recommend / would like to see changed with those earbuds?
Any idea if they would work with an over the ear lid?

TIA!

BIGLRY
08-11-2014, 12:35 PM
I actually do the same -- my earbuds are my ear plugs. I actually don't listen to music while riding all that often. I'm kind of an old school, no frills kind of rider -- part of what I'm having to reconcile in considering a move to an F6B. Funny thing is that it doesn't offer the electronic frills I'd most be after if I were so inclined -- things like cruise control, GPS and adjustable shield. Anyway, back to earphones, I most often wear a pretty tight fitting full face so earbud profile is a definite concern. Otherwise, you'd have done a good job selling the ERs. Tough part about so much of this including earbuds is there is no way to try before you buy. I'm active on headfi.org, but the last time I asked for recommendations there, they were like, "Oh my God! You can't ride a motorcycle with ear phones!"Truth be know, it is illegal to wear headphones or ear buds in both ears while operating a motor vehicle in Calif. cage or MC and even a bicycle. :shock:
"California Department of Motor Vehicles ... 27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears." Exceptions are made for drivers of emergency vehicles and trash trucks, or anyone using "earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels."
What I would say to any LEO who asked me about it is, "I wear them to protect my ears from noise damage caused by to loud H-D".:poke:
I have never had any problems with LEO over my wearing of earbuds while riding my scoot in Calif..:yes:

Note: speakers installed in a skid lid are NOT considered a "headset" as they don't cover the ears, they only set next to the ears and are legal in Calif!

Injun Joe
08-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Truth be know, it is illegal to wear headphones or ear buds in both ears while operating a motor vehicle in Calif. cage or MC and even a bicycle. :shock:
"California Department of Motor Vehicles ... 27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears." Exceptions are made for drivers of emergency vehicles and trash trucks, or anyone using "earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels."
What I would say to any LEO who asked me about it is, "I wear them to protect my ears from noise damage caused by to loud H-D".:poke:
I have never had any problems with LEO over my wearing of earbuds while riding my scoot in Calif..:yes:

Note: speakers installed in a skid lid are NOT considered a "headset" as they don't cover the ears, they only set next to the ears and are legal in Calif!

So then clearly we're back to someone needing to make an audiophile quality set of "headsets."

In case anyone is wondering, what I presently use is a LG bluetooth earbud running directly off my phone which now come to think of it should work pretty slick with the built in sound system: I only use it to control which song I'm listening to with the volume to the built in sound system turned down and the volume controlled by the ear buds. I could control the song there too of course, but the earbud controls are too small for gloved hands without a lot of fiddling.

BIGLRY
08-11-2014, 01:06 PM
BIGLRY, I don't mind payin good $ for good stuff, but 3 Ben is a chunk of change,,, How long have you had yours and is there anything you would not recommend / would like to see changed with those earbuds?
Any idea if they would work with an over the ear lid?

TIA!I've been wearing the ER•4 MicroPro earbuds for about 14 years and IMO you get what you pay for, I found mine on EBay for less($240 new). The quality of the sound is unbelievable from such tiny earbuds, full bass response and with live concert recorded music it sounds live.

My only complant is the removable filters that stop ear wax from plugging them up are a tad expensive, I found a local music shop who specialize in drums that carries them as it seems a lot of professional drummers use them.
I have found if I wash my ears good I get no issues with waxy build up LOL and to change out the filters is easy as they come with the the tool and extra filters which all fit with the earbuds in a small leather case 3"x3". I do believe you could wear them under a full face helmet, but I haven't any empirical evidence due to my way to big melon not being able to find one that fits.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER-4PT-/201145384052?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ed532fc74

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER-4B-In-Ear-only-Headphones-Black/121404208935?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D24189%26meid%3D8963330468780174598%26pid%3D 100005%26prg%3D10283%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D201 145384052&rt=nc