PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Robin Williams

Phantom
08-11-2014, 09:23 PM
'RIP"

SAD to hear, it appears that he may have taken his own life.

The Man was brilliant and very talented.

I remember him as far back from the show known as Mork and Mindy

I enjoyed all of his comedy from Good Morning Vietnam to Mrs Doubtfire.

He was so successful .... I ask WHY ???

R.I.P.

Scotrod
08-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Depression is what some are saying,,,

RIP Robin,,,

bobbyf6b
08-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Nanu, Nanu!

Deer Slayer
08-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Depression is a big load. RIP Robin.

Johncmendenhall
08-11-2014, 11:14 PM

I met Robin one night after his show for the troops at Bagram Airfield Afghanistan.
Great guy, he came into the Koele dfac around 2300, he stopped in to say hello to the food service people, he was real man.
Enjoy a long deserved rest Robin.

Elroy
08-11-2014, 11:57 PM
This was definitely a shock. So tragic that some of our funniest, most talented entertainers battle such personal demons; Mitch Hedberg, Chris Farley, Greg Giraldo to name just a few. I probably disliked more of R. Williams' movies than I liked, but the ones I liked, I really loved. I'll never forget his stand-up bit about smoking weed and how the Scottish invented "Gaulf!" Too sad.

Elroy
08-11-2014, 11:59 PM

+1 to this. He must've kept it pretty hush, wonder if he had been seeking help at all prior......

Injun Joe
08-12-2014, 12:28 AM
This one is kind of hitting me like a ton of bricks. I think all of us have the privilege of living during the lifetimes of only a few truly great folks at whatever they do. For me, Robin was one of those greats that I had the privilege to live through -- not just discover after the fact.

motozeke
08-12-2014, 01:12 AM
We are secrets to each other
Each ones' life a novel no one else has read

No one can appreciate another's inner turmoil. He anesthetized his depression and anxiety for years with drugs and alcohol, and it's not at all unusual for comedians--especially the so richly talented--to have serious inner demons. Depression is a horrific condition, one that leads all to many to believe that death is preferable to their inner suffering. Some even feel that they are doing their loved ones a favor by removing themselves as a burden.

So sad, to reach the end of the line at only 63.

motozeke
08-12-2014, 01:17 AM
+1 to this. He must've kept it pretty hush, wonder if he had been seeking help at all prior......

He actually fessed up to this on multiple occasions, this and anxiety. Life is hard. There have definitely been days for me when it took something like this to get me through it all:

bob109
08-12-2014, 02:47 AM
My son, a graduate of the New Your Film Academy in California had the opportunity to meet Robin on several occasions during yearly shoots for St. Jude's Children Hospital.He always said the man had a remarkable memory and sense of wit. During one filming episode Robin was kind and gracious enough to honor my son's request for a joint pic. Needless to say my son was overjoyed when the attached pic was taken.

We are all saddened by the loss of a great person and entertainer. May he rest in eternal peace.

ED209
08-12-2014, 03:49 AM
:icon_frown::pop:

Steve 0080
08-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Truly sad!!! I had a girl working for me once, quite, personal able and funny.... She would call in every now and then sand say she need a "mental health day"....maybe there should be more of these!!! No one knows what load another is carrying. Sad that R Williams let his life get to this point, if he even had a choice!!!

Scotrod
08-12-2014, 08:15 AM
The mind is an interesting subject.

There are times when the minds of those who are quick of wit and humor can turn 180 and run full throttle in the opposite direction,,, Seldom spending much time 'in the ~normal~ middle',,, Humor can be used as a defense in the battle.

I do not know how true it is, but I had heard where a show he was involved in had recently been cancelled,,,

And the pendulum swings,,,

edgeman55
08-12-2014, 02:16 PM
I went to Redwood High School with him in Larkspur Ca.He was 2 years older then me but was the same guy at that age.I worked in San Francisco as a Service Tech for PG&E for 25+ years and I got to know him a little better in the 80's as he lived in the Lake dist there in SF and we would run into each other and gab about the old High school days.He was a kind and thoughtfull person but really battled inner demons and tried to supress it with self medication.I was really saddened to hear this and the world was a little better place with his humor.Hope he is at peace now and thoughts go out to his family.

SmallPasture
08-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Nanu, Nanu!

:lolup: Thanks Bobby!!! Fond, fond memories!!

SmallPasture
08-12-2014, 03:21 PM
I do not know how true it is, but I had heard where a show he was involved in had recently been cancelled,,

It was canceled. It was called "The Crazy Ones". Never watched it, but then again I do my best not to watch network TV.

I read that a so called "Close Friend" who remained anonymous (of course) said they had spoken to him recently and Robin confided in them that he was in serious money troubles. Apparently he took the TV show gig just for a paycheck. He was quoted saying just that last year in an interview!

The world lost some laughter yesterday. :022:

BIGLRY
08-12-2014, 05:34 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Williams
Now go make God laugh:icon_biggrin:

MSGT-R
08-12-2014, 06:54 PM
I truely loved his "silly" humor in the tradition of Jonathan Winters. There will probably never be another.

darcym
08-12-2014, 08:14 PM
He was brilliant and talented and so funny, and this is such a loss to our generation in particular, I think, because we were of that age and Robin aged along with us. Truly one of my most favorite entertainers. He will be missed. Hoping that his kids and family can forgive him his humanity and find some peace in his final decision.

And those who need it, go for a ride if you can, but if you need more help than that by all means ask for help, reach out to a friend. Or do something.

olds34dude
08-12-2014, 09:23 PM
yes to all above , so sad, so senseless, words just can't be found

racer
08-14-2014, 12:34 PM
I truely loved his "silly" humor in the tradition of Jonathan Winters. There will probably never be another.

Yes. They were very much alike. I don't feel sad for him though. He had a rich life in more ways than one. Living decades of wealth and admiration which he earned. I feel sad when our best people are killed protecting our country. They get none of this attention.

RIP Mr Williams.

austin_tech
08-15-2014, 09:38 AM
BIG fan and like a lot of you, I grew up thinking he was a comic genius. This one hits hard and it's hard to make sense of.

Folks, don't let depression, substances, or an argument with a wife take you down. It's all small stuff.
I wonder if a joyride on an F6B might have convinced him of this?

Ride safe.

Retired Army
08-15-2014, 12:26 PM
I am fortunate to have graduated from Defense Information School the same school Adrian Chronower attended. He was the dj Robin played in Good Morning Viet Nam. The Defense Department is really picky about who they select for broadcast journalists an applicant has to send an audition recording plus they get really bent out of shape about program deviation. Robin did an excellent job of portraying this.