PDA

View Full Version : Plugging in flash drive for music

DMAGOLDRDR
08-12-2014, 06:38 AM
This may to be a silly question but I use a Flash Drive plugged into the USB port in the left bag and wonder if there is any harm in just leaving it plugged in after I park the Bike. Not having much knowledge on the subject I thought I would ask?

Steve 0080
08-12-2014, 06:40 AM
No issues...mine has been plugged in for months and is only removed to update music!!!

Scotrod
08-12-2014, 07:38 AM
/\ /\ /\ Yep. Plug it in and forget about it, till ya 'need more'.

Injun Joe
08-12-2014, 08:05 AM
This may to be a silly question but I use a Flash Drive plugged into the USB port in the left bag and wonder if there is any harm in just leaving it plugged in after I park the Bike. Not having much knowledge on the subject I thought I would ask?

Wait a minute! You can plug in JUST a flash drive and have that work?! I thought it had to be an iPhone, iPod or some other music playing device. How cool is that!

2kewlgypsy
08-12-2014, 08:13 AM
After about 200 songs, you need folders, either by musician, or genre or whatever you'd like.
Radio Shack had a sale on jumpdrives - I bought a 32 Gig - have about 10,000 songs on it and still have room! I usually set it to "all random" and if I dont like a song that comes on just hit the channel up for the next song. I try not to play with the mode button much while on the road, too distracting.
2~kewl

Injun Joe
08-12-2014, 08:31 AM
After about 200 songs, you need folders, either by musician, or genre or whatever you'd like.
Radio Shack had a sale on jumpdrives - I bought a 32 Gig - have about 10,000 songs on it and still have room! I usually set it to "all random" and if I dont like a song that comes on just hit the channel up for the next song. I try not to play with the mode button much while on the road, too distracting.
2~kewl

So "random" goes into folders then I take it? Will it read and follow playlists?

Injun Joe
08-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Just ran across this article on flash drives. Though I don't think usb 3.0 brings any extra value to this application, The Verbatim really caught my eye for it's ruggedness and form factor.

http://inspirationfeed.com/shop-2/top-5-usb-3-0-flash-drives/

2kewlgypsy
08-12-2014, 11:07 AM
A.rdm plays all files in random order
F.rdm plays all files in the folder you are in, in random order
I don't know much about playlists, as I usually just put on random all.
max songs is actually 255 (I put 200 above, but have the manual out, and it says 255)

CheckpointChcky
08-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Well, here's a question....I want to plug my iPod into that plug but the receptacle end is different than the one on my iPod so what do I do?

VP8
08-12-2014, 11:18 AM
I love being able to play music through a USB flash drive. I purchased the Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB drive http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/cruzer-fit/ from Costco (in a 2/pack) which is so small you don't even notice it plugged in. To keep the USB cord from dangling, I applied Velcro to the top of the usb port and stuck it on the ceiling of the saddlebag. Works great!!

2kewlgypsy
08-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Checkpoint - the connector in the left saddlebag is usb. all of your chargers should be usb as well - use the charge cord as the go between for the ipod and the usb plug on the bike.

VP8
08-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Well, here's a question....I want to plug my iPod into that plug but the receptacle end is different than the one on my iPod so what do I do?

Checkpoint, you know how you plug your ipod into your computer with a USB cord? Well, it's the same way as plugging it into your bike. The male Apple USB cord plugs into the bike's female USB port, while the other end of your Apple cord plugs into your iPod. Controls on the handlebars/audio controls are the same in regards to playlist/random/etc.

DMAGOLDRDR
08-12-2014, 12:14 PM
No issues...mine has been plugged in for months and is only removed to update music!!!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I just wanted to be sure my Garage wouldn't turn into a scene from Toy Story with all my tools dancing around to the music if I left it plugged in. ;) ;)

tonycarver
08-12-2014, 02:36 PM
SO being the kind of guy who never reads the instructions or the manual (probably a good time to start) the plug-in for the externals is located INSIDE the saddle bag..? geez....."steady as a rock... and twice as smart" that's me!:banghead:

CheckpointChcky
08-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys.....one more question about leaving the iPod plugged in on the bike.....does the ipad then charge itself when the power of the bike is turned on?

Big Jay
08-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Yep

CheckpointChcky
08-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys, you are all so smart and helpful.

GothamVengeance
08-14-2014, 12:09 PM
I'm loving the USB connection with the flash drive. However, huge bummer that we can't play AAC (m4a) format music files from a flash drive. :banghead:

GothamVengeance
08-14-2014, 12:15 PM
I use a Flash Drive plugged into the USB port in the left bag and wonder if there is any harm in just leaving it plugged in after I park the Bike.

From page 96 in the manual: "Do not leave iPods/USB flash drives in the vehicle (left saddlebag). High heat will damage it."

I'm guessing this is a CYA statement from Honda so that you can't go after them to replace your device. I've had my flash drive in there since day one (3 weeks tomorrow!). The Colorado sun can be brutal in a parking lot, but I haven't had any problems yet.

rumble-b
08-15-2014, 07:07 AM
I've had my flash drive left in for the last 6 months, including during summer with temps in the 100 to 120 F range and had no problems. If the flash drive does stop working a new one costs $8 to $10 to replace and just re add your music to it. You do have back ups of your music...don't you? :icon_wink:

Injun Joe
08-15-2014, 03:26 PM
I've had my flash drive left in for the last 6 months, including during summer with temps in the 100 to 120 F range and had no problems. If the flash drive does stop working a new one costs $8 to $10 to replace and just re add your music to it. You do have back ups of your music...don't you? :icon_wink:

Well... I'm in the process of downloading JUST my Amazon music purchases and they amount to 24GB. So it's a 64GB drive for me and they cost a "little" more.

Mastergunny
10-25-2014, 09:28 PM
I have had nothing but frustration trying to get my 64GB or my 32 GB flash drives to work. I figured it was a file structure problem. Has anyone posted what the structure has to look like?

I downloaded a converter program that takes my iTunes files and converts them to MP3. My files are a mess. Some start with a number like 03, o4 etc. some have the artist and song title in the name of the file.

I would love to know what the file titles need to look like so I can start the several days work of renaming about 4,000 file names.

F6B1911
10-25-2014, 09:41 PM
I have had nothing but frustration trying to get my 64GB or my 32 GB flash drives to work. I figured it was a file structure problem. Has anyone posted what the structure has to look like?
I downloaded a converter program that takes my iTunes files and converts them to MP3. My files are a mess. Some start with a number like 03, o4 etc. some have the artist and song title in the name of the file.
I would love to know what the file titles need to look like so I can start the several days work of renaming about 4,000 file names.

I had the same problem, kept making a thumb drive of music and never played, then I found out the directory structure is key.
Found a program that does all the work for you.

See this post, then look at #14
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2827-F6B-Radio&highlight=Virtual+Player+Software

ReserveBum
10-26-2014, 10:42 AM
I have my songs in Itunes but I bought a new computer about 6 months ago. For whatever reason Itunes is not allowing me to move my songs to the new computer still using Itunes. Only songs they move is the ones I bought from them. The others are all legal....copied from cd's I bought, but they wont let me load them. Looking at changing venues....but with the control they exert, dont know if they'll prohibit or just make it really difficult to move my songs to another method. Anyone have any ideas?

Whoops..read a little more and question already answered. Thanks

53driver
10-26-2014, 11:57 AM
There are a lot of 3d party software packages that will transfer your iPod library to a fresh instance of iTunes on a different computer.
Of course, that's assuming you have your entire library on the iPod.

I use one called "TouchCopy." Being in the DJ business, I keep three identical 160GB iPods at the ready and keep them backed up on various PC/Mac devices.
No issues.
Cheers.
Steve

RonRider
10-30-2014, 12:08 AM
I have never seen it... how do you control the flash drive?:icon_redface: This is embarrassing.

RonRider
10-30-2014, 12:33 AM
Do you need a program to play songs on a flash drive or just format it and load music?:banghead:

Little slow here... Thanks for your help... What setting on the radio plays the drive?

DaWadd
10-30-2014, 02:25 AM
I have never seen it... how do you control the flash drive?:icon_redface: This is embarrassing.

It's all in your owners manual. USB is in the left saddlebag.:shhh:

TitansFan
10-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Do you need a program to play songs on a flash drive or just format it and load music?:banghead:

Little slow here... Thanks for your help... What setting on the radio plays the drive?

I just loaded them on the drive, plugged the drive into the bike, and played away. :headbang:

JohnnyF6B
10-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Egads. Even on the 2013? Im at work for the next week so I wont be able to check. Just bought the bike last week(used) & only put 200 km.
Another silly question. Is there a spot to plug in Earbuds(stereo earplugs). While riding I would rather have a good set of Earbuds in listening to music then the speakers on the bike.

Hornblower
10-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Is there a spot to plug in Earbuds(stereo earplugs). While riding I would rather have a good set of Earbuds in listening to music then the speakers on the bike.

Simple as plugging an adapter into your existing 5-pin connector. Like this:

http://wingstuff.com/products/21549-5-pin-din-to-3-5mm-headset-adapter?context=helmet_headsets_cords

JohnnyF6B
10-30-2014, 03:39 PM
^^^ Thx Horny :yes::biggthumpup:

Deer Slayer
10-30-2014, 04:40 PM
^^^ Thx Horny :yes::biggthumpup:

Horny??? Ha! Lol....:clap2::yikes:

Hornblower
10-30-2014, 06:27 PM
What! I represent that statement :yikes:

JohnnyF6B
10-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Ooops. I didn't see your name at the bottom. Thx Ken.