PDA

View Full Version : USB as an Audio source...

Reedman71
08-14-2014, 01:05 PM
After reading some threads about using a USB device for music (Plug in the left saddle bag), I tried putting some music on a drive to see how it worked. I tried two different Verbatim 4gb drives and they did not work. I think the transfer rate was too slow. Music played but paused frequently. I did find a small 512k Corsair drive that worked but did not hold a lot so I went looking for something else.

I found an 8gb drive at Staples for $7 that works great! I loaded it up with music in folders. No extra subfolders. As you can see by this pic, there are 327 folders and I don't know how many songs. About 6.5gb of data all .mp3 files. So at least we know of one kind of drive that is compliant.

One last thing. I have a lot of folders with multiple songs in them (albums) and found that if you use track advance button on the handlebar, it advances one song. But if you push up on the track advance and hold it, it will skip to the next folder. Neat! Thought I'd pass my findings along for the good of the cause. 'partysmile'

7610 76117612

photodiver
08-14-2014, 02:15 PM
I just loaded a PNY 32 GB compact Attaché last night and it works, got it at Best Buy for $10.99.

Jimmytee
08-14-2014, 05:58 PM
I also have a 32 GB drive. It's the compact one that has a normal size USB on one side and a Micro USB on the other so I can plug it into mobile devices as well without an adapter.

Massroll
08-14-2014, 06:12 PM
After reading some threads about using a USB device for music (Plug in the left saddle bag), I tried putting some music on a drive to see how it worked. I tried two different Verbatim 4gb drives and they did not work. I think the transfer rate was too slow. Music played but paused frequently. I did find a small 512k Corsair drive that worked but did not hold a lot so I went looking for something else.

I found an 8gb drive at Staples for $7 that works great! I loaded it up with music in folders. No extra subfolders. As you can see by this pic, there are 327 folders and I don't know how many songs. About 6.5gb of data all .mp3 files. So at least we know of one kind of drive that is compliant.

One last thing. I have a lot of folders with multiple songs in them (albums) and found that if you use track advance button on the handlebar, it advances one song. But if you push up on the track advance and hold it, it will skip to the next folder. Neat! Thought I'd pass my findings along for the good of the cause. 'partysmile'

7610 76117612

Thanks for that tip on holding the button up. Didn't know that!

TitansFan
08-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks for that tip on holding the button up. Didn't know that!
And if you press and hold the 3/6 button on the fairing, it will fast forward or reverse within the song (up/3 for forward and down/6 for reverse I think). That one's not in the manual.

Ixol Phaane
08-19-2014, 01:31 PM
And if you press and hold the 3/6 button on the fairing, it will fast forward or reverse within the song (up/3 for forward and down/6 for reverse I think). That one's not in the manual.

Dayum, Skippy! That's one I can really use. Gonna have to give that a try.
Thanks!
I love this forum. :icon_biggrin:

Reedman71
08-19-2014, 01:48 PM

That is a great tip! Thanks!

Wild Bill
08-19-2014, 05:05 PM
While on the subject of USB. I have maybe 30+ albums on a 16G flash but only 10 hours of music will play. Its not just the bike that it wont play but also the semi and my pickup.Plug it into my laptop and the songs will play.Im thinking some of the music is pirate protected..Maybe... Can it be reformatted to play in the bike???

Steve 0080
08-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Bill check and see if they are ALL in MP3 format ?

The Highwayman
08-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Check the file format of the music files you have on the stick to ensure it is compatible with your deck or head unit. There are many different file formats and sample rates and not all machines are compatible.

imported_PA_F6Ber
08-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Excellent tip!

Thanks,
Carl

jaygollner
08-19-2014, 09:02 PM

That's worth knowing, thanks.

Injun Joe
08-20-2014, 09:52 AM
I think I figured out what will work for me though it will be a pain to get done. I think I'll have to make a "flat" folder structure where each folder contains the songs of what might be called a playlist. So different folders represent different moods or what not. Probably have a few for entire "albums" as well since I'm old enough to appreciate that concept. Anyway, will be kind of a pain to set up but I don't see a way around it.

Wild Bill
08-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info.I will have to check it out.

Papa Tater
08-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the info.I will have to check it out.

Download and try MP3val-frontend , I had over 32 gig of mp3's that worked great on computer and other devices. But some of the mp3's would not play on my Pioneer Car stereo and this program checks and repairs corrupted Mp3's - it might help you. I don't have my F6B yet so it can't say for sure if that could be your problem.

Papa Tater
08-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Download and try MP3val-frontend , I had over 32 gig of mp3's that worked great on computer and other devices. But some of the mp3's would not play on my Pioneer Car stereo and this program checks and repairs corrupted Mp3's - it might help you. I don't have my F6B yet so it can't say for sure if that could be your problem.

Sorry about the double post - 1st time posting here and orig pushed wrong button.