PDA

View Full Version : Riding glasses

Dmoon64
06-14-2013, 11:02 AM
On all my other bikes I've ridden with a full face helmet. Since I bought the F6 I'm riding with either a half helmet or no helmet. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent pair of glasses. I wear contacts so I need something that will keep the wind out of my eyes, but I would also like polarized and decent impact resistance.

I've googled riding glasses, but I'm looking for more actual user recommendations.

Thanks,

Darryl

copper
06-14-2013, 01:25 PM
On all my other bikes I've ridden with a full face helmet. Since I bought the F6 I'm riding with either a half helmet or no helmet. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent pair of glasses. I wear contacts so I need something that will keep the wind out of my eyes, but I would also like polarized and decent impact resistance.

I've googled riding glasses, but I'm looking for more actual user recommendations.

Thanks,

Darryl

First pair of riding glasses in a while. Wear them all the time, without exception. I have an open 3/4 and a half helmet, works well with both.

MYSTER REE
06-14-2013, 02:36 PM
You can get them with light adjusting lens, no need to have shades for daylight riding and another pair for night time riding. Works great.

F6BEE
06-14-2013, 08:51 PM
First pair of riding glasses in a while. Wear them all the time, without exception. I have an open 3/4 and a half helmet, works well with both.

I've had the same pair of Guard Dog sunglasses since Americade 2003 where I bought them. They are pricey but, IMHO they are worth the dollars.

Check them out http://www.guard-dogs.com/shop/index.php?cPath=30

BubbaJePH
06-16-2013, 08:05 AM
I use to wear regular impact resistant sunglasses. After getting some road trash blown into my eyes, I checked out Bobster glasses. I have a set of clear and dark. They have done well for me.

http://bobster.com/riding/sunglasses.aspx

Steve 0080
06-16-2013, 02:20 PM
I wear these...with my half helmet...they come in clear and dark tint and most bi-focals sizes as well...

http://www.amazon.com/DPG59-120C-Reinforcer-Rx-Bifocal-Performance-Protective/dp/B000646VFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371410357&sr=8-1&keywords=safety+glasses+with+bifocals

jakec
06-16-2013, 04:54 PM
I wear Wiley X in prescription bifocals with polarized glass, I like them so much I have 2 pair and always have them on when I'm outside.
Jakec

thunder217
06-16-2013, 09:33 PM
I have a pair of 360 and I wear contacts and like you have gone from the Full Face to a nut shell. But with the 17 inch screen and a half helmet with a visor tilted at the right angle no air at all. This bike is a dream. :icon_biggrin:

Couch Rocket
06-19-2013, 12:06 AM
As a rider and a dispensing Optician and have fit many other riders over the years. With that said, I've seen as many different styles and tastes in sun-wear for motorcycling as I have in bikes themselves.

A couple of recommendations I might offer would be from Oakley. Which is one of my favorite brands due to long-lasting quality and durability of the frame and lenses. My return/warranty rate on Oakley is practically nonexistent. Although not motorcycle specific, the frames and lenses have qualities that are well suited for motorcyclist. Impact resistance is a big deal on the road. Keep in mind I sell several "big brands" but Oakley is what I have personally worn for over 15 years and always recommend first.

Oakley Fives Squared MSRP $80 - $120 : Great low cost model for a slim to mildly round face. Good face wrap for wind resistance. Hinges, although plastic, are damn near bullet proof and have no screws to fall out. This is the #1 best seller in my shop due to low cost and amazing comfort. These are very good for Rx.

Oakley Jawbone
Oakley Split Jacket
Oakley Wind Jacket
Oakley Racing Jacket MSRP $180 and up : All these are similar styles. Some are being phased out and moved into the Racing Jacket name. Great pair of sunglasses with a "quick interchangeable" lens system. Comes with 2 sets of lenses, one of which is usually a clear lens. These are great for endurance riding (sun-up/down). Superb wrap, similar hinge design as the Fives. They have a "wind-gasket" insert that can be purchases as an accessory that forms a decent seal around the eyes if you really want true wind-to-eye isolation. I have used it on occasion. If you want that "goggle" feel its pretty neat. The Racing Jacket can also be ordered as "Custom" so you can go in and pick your favorite colors for frame and lenses combinations. Has a nice built-in sports band to keep them snug. Can also be made in Rx but very limited.

Oakley HALF Jacket 2.0 MSRP $120 and up : These are a semi-rimless design. Very sturdy and durable lens insertion on these despite being a "hanging lens design". The way the lenses are designed to recess up in the frame without screws is genius. Available in 2 lens shapes; XL & Standard. I suggest the XL for riders. Standard (oval shape) is ok, but for that wind isolation, the XL is my recommendation. These also have screwless hinges and are super comfortable. Can also be made in prescription.

Oakley FLAK Jacket MSRP $150 and up : These are basically just a larger version of the Half Jacket 2.0s. Been in Oakley's arsenal for several years and no sign of stopping. Awesome frame for a bigger noggin. Can also be made in prescription.

Oakley FAST Jacket MSRP $200 and up : These are a Flak Jacket style/sized frame with a "quick interchangeable" lens system like the Racing Jackets listed above. NO Rx though.

There are lots of others in the Oakley line to choose but these seem to be what 90% of my rider clientele are choosing when presented.

I tell everyone, it makes no sense to spend $10-20k+ on a motorcycle, gear and accessories and put on $8 pair of "shades" for eye protection.

Thanks,

-J

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Since I bought the F6 I'm riding with either a half helmet or no helmet
Not that I really want to launch the often debated issue of "helmet-no helmet", but here I go anyway. I suggest you re-think your "no helmet" riding style. :nono: I'm sure you've heard it before; there are two types of riders, those that have crashed and those that are going to crash. I too spent many years riding without a helmet, but times and attitudes change. Consider my suggestion "good advice", which is something a man gives when he is too old to set a bad example.

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Oops, I forgot to say something about the posted subject! I have been using a pair of Nike designed sports glasses. They have proven to be durable, with wrap around large curved lenses to keep out stray sunlight.

Bozz
10-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Wiley X Valor...$130 msrp....$100 on Amazon:icon_cool:

RickJ
10-28-2015, 09:39 PM
I have a pair of seveneyes, they have a removable cushion thingy, so when I'm not riding I can wear them as sunglasses...also light adjusting (whatever they call automatic darkening)

This site was helpful, I also got them here...they do prescription too, helpful over the phone also:

http://www.adseyewear.com/motorcycle-sunglasses-buyers-guide/

shooter
10-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Not that I really want to launch the often debated issue of "helmet-no helmet", but here I go anyway. I suggest you re-think your "no helmet" riding style. :nono: I'm sure you've heard it before; there are two types of riders, those that have crashed and those that are going to crash. I too spent many years riding without a helmet, but times and attitudes change. Consider my suggestion "good advice", which is something a man gives when he is too old to set a bad example.

Yeahoo , it never hurts to try. And you tried in a classy way. I'm always hesitant. Kind of a live and let live guy. My buddy , WJ DUKE had a pretty serious wreck last.year. Got T-Boned. He was lucky. Had his gear on. He's not real bashful about telling someone they need it.

BobR
10-28-2015, 10:19 PM
I wear Oakley M Frame Heaters. I have worn them for over 30 years. They fit tightly around my face to totally block anything getting to my eyes including UV rays. They don't allow any light in from behind the lens so you get no stray reflections. The rubber on the nosepiece and earpieces is made of a special rubber that gets sticky when your body temp goes over 99 degrees to help hold them on. They are Polycarbonate and will stop a 12 gauge shotgun pellet from 20 feet. I have a clear set of lenses that I can swap onto them in about 10 seconds that I wear @ night.

wjduke
10-29-2015, 04:19 AM
Yeahoo , it never hurts to try. And you tried in a classy way. I'm always hesitant. Kind of a live and let live guy. My buddy , WJ DUKE had a pretty serious wreck last.year. Got T-Boned. He was lucky. Had his gear on. He's not real bashful about telling someone they need it.

I only suggest shooter :icon_wink: We're all adults that make our own decisions. I was lucky, but it worked for me.

shooter
10-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Spy Optics "Cooper". Very low profile and doesn't interfere with the helmet. And let me say something here. I wear prescription glasses and the quality of the Spy Optics lenses is nothing short of remarkable. Optically perfect. Better even than my street glasses that I paid twice as much for. And guys the polarized lenses are the bomb. Purchased through Optics Planet.

Old Ryder
10-29-2015, 06:19 PM
DVX from Walmart with polarized prescription lense was about $150. They are my "riding glasses" and best ever with no bifocals. The frames are designed by Wiley X and are soft plastic/rubberized frames and seal perfectly for my face. The ear pieces are straight an go on easy if you have your helmet on or not. Great bang for the buck! Non prescription lenses is $50.

http://www.dvxeyewear.com/technology/rugged-frames.html

Old Ryder
10-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Spy Optics "Cooper". Very low profile and doesn't interfere with the helmet. And let me say something here. I wear prescription glasses and the quality of the Spy Optics lenses is nothing short of remarkable. Optically perfect. Better even than my street glasses that I paid twice as much for. And guys the polarized lenses are the bomb. Purchased through Optics Planet.

Lol. My son has 3 pair. That is all he will wear.