PDA

View Full Version : Honda response to paint issue

av8rdave
06-14-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure if this comes from Mother Honda or just my dealer, but they want me to bring my bike in this coming week, and they're replacing the side covers and saddlebag lids. I'll be curious to see if the finish is any more durable. Of course, this doesn't address the issue with the finish on the tail area or the forward area where the knees rest against the bike. Should be an interesting discussion.

MNF6B
06-14-2013, 11:16 AM
I have had no information from my dealer of Mother Honda.

SpeedyWho
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Very interesting, thank you for sharing with us

Hayabusa
06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
It would be very sad if Honda repaints you F6B with the same quality of paint :banghead: The problem is that the clear coat is almost non-existent and paint too soft. Even if they do paint it over again with the same quality paint, the problem will persist.

The worse paint job was on my Suzuki M50, but they were all like that and to have it repainted again would not solve the problem.

The best paint job on a Honda that I owned was on the Honda RC51 and the older Goldwing 1500s :icon_mrgreen:

Philbert40
06-14-2013, 06:30 PM
I was at my Honda dealer today and started the complaint process regarding the paint quality. Just so happens that the Regional & District Service Reps were there. I made my case to them and showed them the scratches and swirls...Their 1st response was....it is a black bike and you know how black shows everything. I was then told that I should use a 3M product called "finess-it", re-wax and my problems should be solved.

I got both of their business cards and told them that I would give it a try. They told me to contact them if that did not work. Step 1 complete!

MichaelG
06-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Their 1st response was....it is a black bike and you know how black shows everything.

I was then told that I should use a 3M product called "finess-it", re-wax and my problems should be solved.

That always makes me very upset when someone from Honda service makes the statement..."well you know it is black paint, and it shows everything".

Well, what about the RED bikes with the same problem ???? And...I will not allow them to get away with treating me like I am some idiot that doesn' t know my bike is a Black bike...and that black paint does show marks and swirls easily. I know that. Don't treat me like a fool as if you are telling me something that I don't already know. Because...it makes you look like a fool.

Also, sevceral of us have heard the same song and dance from Honda...buy the 3M brand Finesse, and use it. And...this 3M brand Finesse needs to be applied with a power buffer. So is Honda going to supply the 3M brand Finesse for us, and give each of us a Honda branded Power Buffer ? NO !
Then their own service departments should be the ones to wash and polish our bikes...every one of them...and if it doesn't last the first time, we can bring it back in 3 or 4 times a year, whiloe under warranty, and get it polished out.

Honda should not be makiing US go buy this special 3M brand Finesse wax, and a power buffer. That is on them.

av8rdave
06-14-2013, 10:29 PM
I have a hard time with the argument that we shouldn't expect a decent finish on a black bike. My previous bike was a '00 black Roadstar. When I sold it in April, the finish looked as good as the day I bought it. That's after many years and miles with road grime, tank bags, etc. I'll grant that the Roadie's tank and fenders were metal, but the plastic side covers fared just fine after 13 years of frequent removal and getting scraped with boots and rubbed with denim.

My F6B is red, and the finish is soft and fragile. I felt that my dealer blew me off about this until I sent a very pointed email and reminded them that in this hi-tech age, it was very easy to share my experience with a lot of people. I feel they're at least taking my complaints seriously now.

Be the squeaky wheel, and good luck to everyone in getting this resolved satisfactorily.

SpeedyWho
06-14-2013, 10:31 PM
I was at my Honda dealer today and started the complaint process regarding the paint quality. Just so happens that the Regional & District Service Reps were there. I made my case to them and showed them the scratches and swirls...Their 1st response was....it is a black bike and you know how black shows everything. I was then told that I should use a 3M product called "finess-it", re-wax and my problems should be solved.

I got both of their business cards and told them that I would give it a try. They told me to contact them if that did not work. Step 1 complete!

My bike got the 3M treatment, looks the same to me. I bet that most dealers are not experts in detailing, call me crazy:crazy2:

The 3M product is a Bandaid, period. No problems are solved by using this product. The Root issue is still there, they know whats going on they need to save face before its to late.

Westernbiker
06-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Here is the letter I sent today.

To whom it may concern,
I am the proud owner of a black 2013 F6BD Goldwing. I love the bike, it does everything very well. One HUGE COMPLAINT, the paint is TERRIBLE! Clear coat is almost non-existent and paint is soft. I only use micro-fiber towels on this bike and paint is all scratched! Yes I know about black paint and how it shows everything, point is, it’s scratched because of the poor quality paint and clear coat. I know another guy in my area that has a red one and it’s the same way, so don’t say it’s the black paint, it’s just very poor quality. I took the bike to a custom painter I know and he said the same thing, poor quality paint and almost no clear coat. I expect more from Honda. I still have a 1997Honda Valkyrie standard that is black and yellow and the paint still looks brand new, even the plastic side covers that are exposed to jeans and boots. I hope Honda does the right thing by us F6B owners, we spent our HARD earned money and quite a bit of it for this bike, we should at the very least get a paint job that’s better than Macco!

SpeedyWho
06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Here is the letter I sent today.

To whom it may concern,
I am the proud owner of a black 2013 F6BD Goldwing. I love the bike, it does everything very well. One HUGE COMPLAINT, the paint is TERRIBLE! Clear coat is almost non-existent and paint is soft. I only use micro-fiber towels on this bike and paint is all scratched! Yes I know about black paint and how it shows everything, point is, it’s scratched because of the poor quality paint and clear coat. I know another guy in my area that has a red one and it’s the same way, so don’t say it’s the black paint, it’s just very poor quality. I took the bike to a custom painter I know and he said the same thing, poor quality paint and almost no clear coat. I expect more from Honda. I still have a 1997Honda Valkyrie standard that is black and yellow and the paint still looks brand new, even the plastic side covers that are exposed to jeans and boots. I hope Honda does the right thing by us F6B owners, we spent our HARD earned money and quite a bit of it for this bike, we should at the very least get a paint job that’s better than Macco!

Send you a PM

Laen
06-23-2013, 09:17 AM
I am not a F6B owner but have heard the F6Bs were not CLEAR COATED at all

Teach
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
I just posted over in the garage forum about dealing with the paint problems. I hope folks have a look and give it a try. I'm sure you WON'T be disappointed....... Teach

MichaelG
06-23-2013, 11:42 PM
I just posted over in the garage forum about dealing with the paint problems. I hope folks have a look and give it a try. I'm sure you WON'T be disappointed....... Teach

Teach, if you are "sure" we won't be disappointed...then you would be wrong. I read your other post, and it definetly reads as having been written by someone that clearly does not own one of these bikes yet.

Until Honda makes their decision as to what "they" are going to do regarding the bad paint on our bikes, I believe it would be an error to cover the bad paint with Liquid Glass, before the Honda reps get a chance to see and document every one of these bikes. I, for one, am not into washing my bike every time I take it out for a ride, and I most certainly am not into waxing it or polishing it...at all...ever. But then again, I ride my bike...rather than post about bikes I don't even own.

The Professor

Teach
06-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Miles, try it, don't try it, wait out Honda, whatever.... that is your call. I was simply throwing out an option that works. I watched about 100 new Vision owners go down this same path in 2008. Yep they eventually got their bike panels replaced by the manufacturer after a year and lots of stress, and then put on the LG.
Again, understand where you are coming from, hope you get it fixed........... but for folks who just want to ride and not worry about it, the LG works.

Wawazz
06-26-2013, 03:19 AM
As one who was planning to buy this bike, I'm now waiting until I hear the paint issue is resolved. I've owned 2 Harleys, 2 Hondas (incl an '83 Goldwing 1100 - sweet machine!) and a Yamaha, and this is the first time I've ever even heard of "soft" paint. There's just no excuse for something like that. I hope when they fix that they add the cruise control and ABS. Hell, even the '83 had cruise control!

TennX
06-26-2013, 06:42 AM
As much as I want one of these bikes, as Ive said before Im waiting till 2014 models in the hope that the paint issue is resolved...I dont care if they do/dont add anything to the bike...Im not going to spend 20K on what most likely will be my last bike purchase and deal with crap right out the box....good luck..

I would like to add, I have a 2006 VTX 1300R Candy Black Cherry and the paint looks as good as the day I bought it new...I just sold a 97 GL1500 Candy Red Spectra , except for age the paint was in great condition....

GiddyupF6B
06-26-2013, 06:51 AM
I haven't had a chance to clean my bike yet as I just got it last Wednesday and have a crazy schedule, I will be giving it the full detail tomorrow. I'm not sure the quality of my paint yet obviously but I can say that my dealer swirled the hell out of my clear coat and has several scratches (hopefully in the clear coat) from removing the emblems and wiping the bike down. I'll have a better idea as to how my paint fairs tomorrow. I have all the Zanio products on the shelf to really give this bike the once over. I am going to wash with Dawn, clay bar, apply swirl remover, polish, then wax the paint. It will probably take me 2 days to do all of this and then I can report the status of the paint on my bike. I will keep you posted. I can say 2 things for certain.....If I can't get the swirls & scratches out with my products on my own then the dealer is going to pay for a professional to do it......If I have the paint issues some of you are having then I will jump on the wagon starting with my dealer and finishing with Mother Honda. One way or another the paint on my $21,000 bike will be as it should be from the factory.

F6B-RICH
06-26-2013, 07:40 AM
As one who was planning to buy this bike, I'm now waiting until I hear the paint issue is resolved. I've owned 2 Harleys, 2 Hondas (incl an '83 Goldwing 1100 - sweet machine!) and a Yamaha, and this is the first time I've ever even heard of "soft" paint. There's just no excuse for something like that. I hope when they fix that they add the cruise control and ABS. Hell, even the '83 had cruise control!

My dealer had no F6B's on the floor and ordered my black deluxe straight from Honda in late May I have NO paint issues :iduno: so why wait.

GiddyupF6B
06-26-2013, 07:53 AM
My dealer had no F6B's on the floor and ordered my black deluxe straight from Honda in late May I have NO paint issues :iduno: so why wait.

Mine came out of a crate last weekend so I'm hopeful that I have NO paint issues as well.

jkelley
06-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Mine originally came straight out the crate as well, I asked the dealer to not touch the paint, don't wash it, or wipe it off.

I cleaned, polished, and waxed it very carefully, and my bike HAS the soft paint problem.

I have installed 3M film on the suspect rub spots but you can simply wipe your finger over the paint and it will scratch.

Like others I have gone the normal route of dealer and mother Honda. Still waiting for a solution from them.

FlyinF
06-26-2013, 10:17 AM
I bought my bike (Standard Black) out of state and rode 750 miles to get it home, on that ride it got splattered with bugs and they got baked on with the Texas sun. I had to wash it aggressively to get the bugs off. Since new I have washed it twice and given it a good wax job. When I was waxing I used my powerful glasses to look for scratches/swirls, nothing. I used my thumb nail to get the decal off around fuel filler and it didn't scratch. I guess I'm a lucky one. But what I don't understand if the paint is bad shouldn't all F6's be bad? Are Goldwings and F6's manufactured/painted at the same plant?

F6B-RICH
06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Mine came out of a crate last weekend so I'm hopeful that I have NO paint issues as well.

I guess it depends on where it came from because I can not see how (if Honda knows about the paint issues which I believe they do from what members of this forum have said) they would continue to allow bad paint F6B's leave the Honda plant.

bobbyf6b
06-26-2013, 11:07 AM
It's hard to complain about such an amazing machine, but I guess I have the paint problem too. I just got my bike last Saturday, June 22nd, and after a day ride on Sunday I started cleaning it and I was really surprised at the swirl marks. My last black bike was a 2000 Suzuki Bandit and I don't remember ever seeing swirl marks on it, plastic or metal. I will talk to my dealer asap and see what they say. Kind of a bummer but I'm way too happy with this bike right now to be upset about it. :icon_cool:

chipmaker
06-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Agree, took my kid on a 2 hr. Breakfast ride, paint looks better zooming across desert...

Dmoon64
06-26-2013, 01:10 PM
I bought mine in April. Except for rain it hasn't been washed yet. It's probably due. :icon_lol:

Gumby
07-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Honda called yesterday. I'm to take it back to the dealer for pics. They are to determine if I'm eligible for new parts. We discussed that the new parts would have the same paint and I was assured if I got new parts I would not be ineligible for any real fix later.

MichaelG
07-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Honda called yesterday. I'm to take it back to the dealer for pics. They are to determine if I'm eligible for new parts. We discussed that the new parts would have the same paint and I was assured if I got new parts I would not be ineligible for any real fix later.

Then...WHy not wait until Honda gets all their ducks in a row, and comes up with the final solution. It sounds like you are taking a temporary fix, and that just replacing the current bad paint with new panels that will also have the bad paint. Given time...Honda will remedy this...it just takes time. Meanwhile, with every passing day that we wait...our paint gets worse and worse due to wear, so when they do make a decision, they will have to fix 93.14159 % of the current bikes out there.

Gumby
07-03-2013, 09:54 PM
As I said, I made sure that if I was offered new parts and if I had them installed I would still be eligible IF Honda chose to fix the paint properly.

Why would I not take the new parts?

I'm not taking a temporary fix in lieu of a real fix. (That may or may not be coming.) That would be foolish. As would be not accepting the new parts because they haven't made a decision yet on the proper fix.

av8rdave
07-04-2013, 08:00 AM
It now has new saddlebag lids and side covers. The balance of the Tupperware was given the 3M treatment.

SO FAR, the replaced parts appear to have a harder finish. I've been flying a lot since I got it back, so I don't feel like I've really "tested" it yet. The lids and side panels don't seem to have the surface scratches the old ones got from handling. As far as the 3M treated parts go, I have no idea what to expect.

I told the service department folks that I was regarding this as an experimental treatment. They agreed that I may have to bring it back.

We shall see.

MichaelG
07-04-2013, 08:36 AM
As I said, I made sure that if I was offered new parts and if I had them installed I would still be eligible IF Honda chose to fix the paint properly.

Why would I not take the new parts?

I'm not taking a temporary fix in lieu of a real fix. (That may or may not be coming.) That would be foolish. As would be not accepting the new parts because they haven't made a decision yet on the proper fix.

Gumby, that was MY error. I read the word...ineligible...as being...eligible. That was my mistake for not reading that word more carefully.

SpeedyWho
07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
My bike is at Honda right now I am getting new panels as we speak. They want the current panels off our bikes to test them and see how bad the paint is after the bike has been used. Or at least that's what I was told.

If they come up with a Fix I'll be getting a third set of panels, cant wait to see what happens

BLACKBETTY12
07-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I posted about the paint issue before the forum crashed and it is only getting worse. This is my fourth GL1800, and is by far the worst paint I've ever seen on a motorcycle! I guess I'll be taking my bike to the dealer to start the band aid process as well.

chipmaker
07-04-2013, 11:32 AM
My bike is at Honda right now I am getting new panels as we speak. They want the current panels off our bikes to test them and see how bad the paint is after the bike has been used. Or at least that's what I was told.

If they come up with a Fix I'll be getting a third set of panels, cant wait to see what happens

Can wait to see the uproar that happens here if only a few people get new parts. Hopefully they do the right thing and change everyone's parts...

Teach
07-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Ok so for us new guys, and since I already got chewed on, what specifically is the issue folks are having with their paint???
I've noticed some usual swirls in my red which I'm sure will disappear once I get the LG on it, but from the sounds of things, folks are more upset than what a few swirls would generate. So what's the issue?

chipmaker
07-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Soft paint, easily scratched, no clear coat, durability in question.

bobbyf6b
07-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Ok so for us new guys, and since I already got chewed on, what specifically is the issue folks are having with their paint???
I've noticed some usual swirls in my red which I'm sure will disappear once I get the LG on it, but from the sounds of things, folks are more upset than what a few swirls would generate. So what's the issue?

get the LG on it?

Teach
07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
bobbyf6b, Liquid glass aka LG. Forms a hard shell coating over the pain and as it build up in coats, makes any swirls disappear. I like it because I hate waxing bikes. After I put on the initial 3 coats which I do in one day, I just add a single or double coat each spring. The more coatings the less paint flaws that show, and it prevents you from scratching the paint. Any Autozone carries it.

ps... thanks for the explanation of the problem "chipmaker." I am not making any excuses for Honda but the industry standard is now water based paints and no clear coat which does make them much easier to scratch. That is one of the reasons I began using the LG several years ago. Hope they get those with a problem fixed up.

bobbyf6b
07-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks. I'll look for it.

Teach
07-04-2013, 05:44 PM
bobbyf6b, if you decide to use LG on your bike just be absolutely sure you have gotten the bike CLEAN before applying the first coat. I use regular old dish soap and water, blow dry and look the bike over for any bugs, water marks or anything I might have missed. Clean off EVERYTHING, because if you don't it will get sealed into the LG and it does not wash off like wax. LG does make a prep solution/cleaner but I have never been able to find it, not even online. The dish soap seems to work just fine.

bobbyf6b
07-04-2013, 05:51 PM
bobbyf6b, if you decide to use LG on your bike just be absolutely sure you have gotten the bike CLEAN before applying the first coat. I use regular old dish soap and water, blow dry and look the bike over for any bugs, water marks or anything I might have missed. Clean off EVERYTHING, because if you don't it will get sealed into the LG and it does not wash off like wax. LG does make a prep solution/cleaner but I have never been able to find it, not even online. The dish soap seems to work just fine.

Thanks for the input. Honestly I don't think that stuff is for me. I'm not THAT anal about my paint, just wanted the swirls to go away and I think I found my cure. Scratch X. It's so dusty where I live the LG might look worse if I try it. I'll just keep polishing it.

chipmaker
07-04-2013, 09:25 PM
So what does everyone else have to do to make their paint look eligible for the new parts?? What is Honda's criteria? I would hate to let mine get all crappy looking, and then I get denied new plastics.

Gumby
07-04-2013, 10:44 PM
The first thing to do is call or write Honda with the complaint. I did both. Take it to a dealer and have them document it as well. For that step you need to actually have a problem. If you don't have a problem, do nothing as it will only serve to screw those of us with legitimate complaints. Frankly, if you don't have a problem just wait until you do, because I believe you will.

When they call back to have you take it back to the dealer I would and will wash mine well so everything shows up and probably remove the wax with a quality wax and grease remover like Prep-Solv or 3m 03618. Certainly don't use a product that will damage the paint, but no need to have $150 or more of aftermarket cover up products muddying the waters as I do.

BillyDaFinn
07-04-2013, 10:54 PM
The first thing to do is call or write Honda with the complaint. I did both. Take it to a dealer and have them document it as well. For that step you need to actually have a problem. If you don't have a problem, do nothing as it will only serve to screw those of us with legitimate complaints. Frankly, if you don't have a problem just wait until you do, because I believe you will.

When they call back to have you take it back to the dealer I would and will wash mine well so everything shows up and probably remove the wax with a quality wax and grease remover like Prep-Solv or 3m 03618. Certainly don't use a product that will damage the paint, but no need to have $150 or more of aftermarket cover up products muddying the waters as I do.

This is exactly what I did before my photo shoot, washed the bike three times with dawn dishwashing soap, stripped off all the wax and exposed the true finish.......Yuck!

chipmaker
07-04-2013, 10:59 PM
I was one of the first to call honda. And the dealership didnt do shit for me. Guess I'll have to call again.

bobbyf6b
07-04-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm gonna back off since I seem to have found a solution to make mine look good. I never took mine in for photos and it won't be good for others if I take it in there all shiny.

SpeedyWho
07-04-2013, 11:15 PM
You didn't fix the problem, the root cause is still there, it'll get all messed up again.

edgeman55
07-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I was one of the first to call honda. And the dealership didnt do shit for me. Guess I'll have to call again.

Same thing from my dealer.Been there twice and there response is until Honda does something there is nothing they can do.Amazing that some here are getting new panels and others are being treated the way we are.I will just wait it out and see if there is a major recall on the paint as I see the 12 and 13 Goldwings are having the same paint issues.But I expect a new paint job on my dime will be in the distant future.Hope I am wrong but not holding my breath:icon_lol:

chipmaker
07-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Same thing from my dealer.Been there twice and there response is until Honda does something there is nothing they can do.Amazing that some here are getting new panels and others are being treated the way we are.I will just wait it out and see if there is a major recall on the paint as I see the 12 and 13 Goldwings are having the same paint issues.But I expect a new paint job on my dime will be in the distant future.Hope I am wrong but not holding my breath:icon_lol:

Yep. If it takes a bunch of bitching and calls and trips to the dealer, I'm prolly SOL. I don't have the time or patience. If I can make mine look nice with some of the cheap products others are using, I will. If I wear thru the paint, then I will have a obvious warranty issue they won't be able to ignore. My name is in Honda's database from the beginning.

Good thing I really like this bike otherwise...

Teach
07-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Well the IMPORTANT step is if you believe you have an issue, take the bike to the purchasing dealer and have them document a warranty claim, aka get it in the computer. Even if Honda is still batting around solutions you want to be sure your end is documented. Now when I say documented make sure the dealer puts the claim in the computer AND MOST IMPORTANT prints a copy of the claim for your records.
Yes I've been down the dealer not documenting road before, so get a hard copy for your records.

Gumby
07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
I think writing helps. I wrote, took the bike in and called.

I think businesses take written letters more seriously because its just so easy to call or email.

They had a demonstrator there at the dealer for test rides. Paint was all jacked up.

rocket247
01-03-2014, 04:22 AM
Basically the paint system that has been used on the F6B is sub standard, I also have owned a Honda Accord Euro for two years, and the paint job is still like the day I bought it .If I get a mark on it, I can polish it off with a scratch removal polish. Not so my bike, I get rid of the scratch but have black paint on the cloth, there is no clear hard finish just paint pigmentation .
Come on Honda, do the right thing and replace Under Warranty all our painted black surfaces with Dual Pack Epoxy Painted panels .

Apart from the paint job, I love the F6B

Rocket 247

bobbyf6b
01-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I was just polishing up my bike for the weekend.

IT LOOKED BETTER DIRTY! :icon_doh:

GONRDN
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
I learned to just blow the dust off. And any bugs that accumulate on my front side, I just put black paint on them. I'm afraid to wash them off.
:lolup:

4DI2D
01-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Pledge dissolves bugs on windshields, so does Meguiars Quick Detailer.
With four coats of Meguiars Carnauba wax there is precious little that will ever get to the paint.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Pledge dissolves bugs on windshields, so does Meguiars Quick Detailer.
With four coats of Meguiars Carnauba wax there is precious little that will ever get to the paint.

That also seems to be the case in caring for my Black paint finish -

Multiple coats of Black Box carnauba wax followed by clear coat application (Maxima Brand - SC1 Detailer Clear Coat) and maintained with same.
Paint looks good and does not rub off or leave pigment on rags.
But this black does show every mark, swirl, reflection, ect...:icon_rolleyes:

Good luck with your adjustment,

J

erazor55
01-04-2014, 01:14 AM
I switched from HD for the last 10 years to Honda. I still love how the bike rides. Am very sad at how Honda delivers regarding the paint finish. Nothing more to be said.

rocket247
01-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I switched from HD for the last 10 years to Honda. I still love how the bike rides. Am very sad at how Honda delivers regarding the paint finish. Nothing more to be said.

There are obviously enough of us around the globe that are having the same problem with paint finish on the F6B. Why can't we generate a patrician and circulate it around, get as many signatures as we can and forward it to Honda and the Media at the same time. $ 25.000 plus for a motorcycle is a lot to pay for a sub standard paint finish. If we don't rattle the chain hard enough, this issue with the paint will die of longevity

Cheers Rocket 247 Australia

FlyinF
01-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Hate to be a party pooper but you will have to get in line behind the Honda car folks, they have been complaining about paint for a very long time. Google it, here's an example:

The Honda paint class action lawsuit is brought on behalf of all California and New York owners of a model year 2003-2007 Honda vehicles. It is seeking actual damages and losses sustained by Class Members and other relief for breach of express warranty, breach of implied warranty of merchantability, and violation of California’s unfair competition law.

kkelly
01-08-2014, 06:12 PM

I'm also looking into getting a F6B at some point and will wait now until I hear better things on their paint quality. I'll tell you one thing the paint on their cars suck as well. My Honda accord looks like hell with the clear coat coming off. I see a lot of Honda cars on the road looking the same way.

indiatango
01-18-2014, 05:51 PM
I just left my dealer and they are absolutely no help on this matter. They are apparently only interested in selling rather than servicing. It has been a never ending saga since last summer. When I bought mine, there were several imperfections in the bag lids over and above the micro scratches everywhere and I took it back a few days later. The dealer had the gall to initially state I scratched it up by using the wrong type of towels or rags during a wash. That argument quickly lost momentum when I advised only a microfiber mitt and toweling had been used. They took the bike into their shop and attempted to "buff out" the other imperfections and made an absolute mess of the lid creating a swath of scratches across the top of the whole lid. After some discussion they advised they would order a new lid on their dime to make things right. The new lid arrived last October and was a scratched up mess right out of the box. They then decided they would send it to their painter and just have him paint it correctly.

Well, after three months and no word I decided to take a trip to their store today and ask about the status of my lid. They produced a lid that was full of crap in the paint and acted like I should be happy with the final product. At this point I had had enough and told them I wanted a warranty claim filed immediately to document my issues along with a copy of the filing. They responded that there was nothing they could do about the rest of the bike and would send the lid back to the local painter to be repainted again. I've been patient with them thus far but have reached the end of my proverbial rope.

When/if they call me back in to pick up the repainted lid I will again demand they enter a claim on the paint issues I have experienced. I guess I will be contacting Mother Honda directly to convey my dissatisfaction. Anyway, that's my story and sorry for the rant.

MichaelG
01-18-2014, 06:15 PM
I guess I will be contacting Mother Honda directly to convey my dissatisfaction. Anyway, that's my story and sorry for the rant.

There is no need for you to apologize to us, for letting off some steam on this issue. I can tell you that if and when you call Mother Honda, and are stuck with talking to "Randy" in customer service, he will just shine you on, and nothing will be done at their end. :banghead:

I am waiting until I can see the 2014 F6Bs at the bike show here in February, before I take the next step. I want to know if they are still using the same paint process, and NO clear coat, or did they change things. If they did change things....then there was a reason for the change, and then we have a leg to stand on. Once I can confirm what the 2014 paint looks like, I think WE all need to join in on a Class Action lawsuit against Honda, and seek satisfaction through legal channels. That is not how any of us wanted to handle this, but when Honda sells us a bike for approx. $ 20K, and it comes to us with bad paint, or soft paint, etc, then they should warranty this paint issue. :icon_wink:

It they won't take care of us, we may have to force the issue, and make they answer to us in court. "batsmiley"

Texas TC
01-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Dr. Miles,

Dallas has already had their International Motorcycle Show and, being early, they did not have a 2014 F6B. They did, however have the 2014 blacked out full wing setting next to a 2013 F6B and both show bikes were covered in scratches. They looked to have been painted wth the same paint and process on both bikes. Both looked like they were 2 years old with minimal care performed by the owner.:icon_frown:

opas ride
01-18-2014, 07:21 PM
I am not, I suppose, directly involved with the Honda paint issue as I had my bike custom painted a different color before taking delivery. I was not really aware of the magnitude of this problem as the dealer where I bought my bike, a very large reputable dealer in Michigan, had not heard of any paint issues at the time...I had mine painted, in all honesty, because I had heard of some complaints around the horn, and my wife, bless her heart, gave me the go ahead to paint mine a different color cause she did not like the black or red that was available, nor did I...Now my question...Do Goldwings have this problem with paint and other Honda bikes as well???..Or did it start when they moved back to Japan??...I have heard their cars have lousy paint also, but cannot comment one way or another...My last Honda was a 05 VTXF 1800 and the paint was outstanding,including the graphics....Just curious,,,,,Thanks

MichaelG
01-18-2014, 09:12 PM
..Now my question...Do Goldwings have this problem with paint and other Honda bikes as well???..Or did it start when they moved back to Japan??...

Good question, and the answer is that the paint issue started with the bikes being produced in Japan. I have had three GL-1800s prior to this one, and all three were either the Platinum or Titanium paint, and with a combined 325K miles on those 3 bikes....I "never" once had to wax my bikes...ever. I washed them occassionally...I would use Honda Spray Polish cleaner on the windshield and headlights/taillights, etc, but I "never"...ever...waxed or polished the painted surfaces of any of those three bikes, all made and painted in Marysville, OH. :icon_biggrin:

Previous to that, I also owned two GL-1500s, and both of those were all Black bikes. Same story as above....washed them...and never had a need to wax them.

Okay, I am more into riding my bikes than into washing them. And it does not bother me to have the dirtiest bike at an F6B rally or gathering. Because I know I rode a lot of miles to get there, and people accept that. But to know that the paint on these bikes is NOT covered with a clear coat, and that the paint scratches so easily, and leaves marks, and that the bugs that strike the front of the fairing are imbedded for a millenium, does not make me happy. :icon_frown:

I could easily afford to have this entire bike repainted....the cost is not the issue. To me, it is a matter of disrespect on the part of Honda to refuse to take care of their customers that buy these bikes, and yet they have actually admitted to some of us that...yes...there is a paint issue. They have even suggested that we might want to buy a special kind of polish, and a special kind of buffer, and just keep polishing and buffing the bike, for as long as it takes. Problem is...some of us want to actually ride the bikes. .batman-smilie.

I personally know of a 1000 GL-1800 riders that had NO problems with the paint on their 2001-2010 model Wings. But the bikes from 2012-2013 are the ones with paint problems. And I know, or have heard of....hundreds of F6B riders that have bad paint.

Ultimately, if I have to deal with this myself, I will. I "never" planned or intended to have my bike re-painted in the first year. I would rather rub this in Hondas face, and see what they do about it. In the meantime, I can ride my bike, put miles on it, and after the first year...or two...after all accessories are completed, the bike is well broken in, and when there is not another NEED to take it all apart to install something else, or repair something...then come next Winter I may be in for a complete new paint job. I already have chosen the color scheme...the first week I owned the bike, so it is just a matter of timing, perseverence, and pushing Hondas buttons as far as I can, to see what they will or will not due.

In the long run...long run...Honda "will" pay for this. Either through bad press, or through a class action lawsuit, but it will cost Honda more in the long run than it would to simply take care of their loyal customers now. :nono:

BIGLRY
01-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Good question, and the answer is that the paint issue started with the bikes being produced in Japan. I have had three GL-1800s prior to this one, and all three were either the Platinum or Titanium paint, and with a combined 325K miles on those 3 bikes....I "never" once had to wax my bikes...ever. I washed them occassionally...I would use Honda Spray Polish cleaner on the windshield and headlights/taillights, etc, but I "never"...ever...waxed or polished the painted surfaces of any of those three bikes,
Previous to that, I also owned two GL-1500s, and both of those were all Black bikes. Same story as above....washed them...and never had a need to wax them.
all made and painted in Marysville, OH. :icon_biggrin:

Okay, I am more into riding my bikes than into washing them. And it does not bother me to have the dirtiest bike at an F6B rally or gathering. Because I know I rode a lot of miles to get there, and people accept that. But to know that the paint on these bikes is NOT covered with a clear coat, and that the paint scratches so easily, and leaves marks, and that the bugs that strike the front of the fairing are imbedded for a millenium, does not make me happy. :icon_frown:

I could easily afford to have this entire bike repainted....the cost is not the issue. To me, it is a matter of disrespect on the part of Honda to refuse to take care of their customers that buy these bikes, and yet they have actually admitted to some of us that...yes...there is a paint issue. They have even suggested that we might want to buy a special kind of polish, and a special kind of buffer, and just keep polishing and buffing the bike, for as long as it takes. Problem is...some of us want to actually ride the bikes. .batman-smilie.

I personally know of a 1000 GL-1800 riders that had NO problems with the paint on their 2001-2010 model Wings. But the bikes from 2012-2013 are the ones with paint problems. And I know, or have heard of....hundreds of F6B riders that have bad paint.

Ultimately, if I have to deal with this myself, I will. I "never" planned or intended to have my bike re-painted in the first year. I would rather rub this in Hondas face, and see what they do about it. In the meantime, I can ride my bike, put miles on it, and after the first year...or two...after all accessories are completed, the bike is well broken in, and when there is not another NEED to take it all apart to install something else, or repair something...then come next Winter I may be in for a complete new paint job. I already have chosen the color scheme...the first week I owned the bike, so it is just a matter of timing, perseverence, and pushing Hondas buttons as far as I can, to see what they will or will not due.

In the long run...long run...Honda "will" pay for this. Either through bad press, or through a class action lawsuit, but it will cost Honda more in the long run than it would to simply take care of their loyal customers now. :nono:A well thought out plan Miles and one I concur 100%. Sad, but true Honda has dropped the ball on this one IMO.
My 2013 F6B is black and its paint is junk IMO, it is the newest Honda I own all the others are 02 to 05 all made and painted in Marysville with paint that is as good today as the day Honda painted them. I will take action as I see fit or join a class action if needed.

opas ride
01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the response Miles and I guess only time will tell what Honda will, or will not do, to address this paint issue...As a previous owner of a Victory Vision with the cracking and breaking lower front fender half (most considered very serious)..Victory did nothing more than replace the same defective fender part on those that "bitched"enough...Me, I traded for the F6B.....

MichaelG
01-19-2014, 01:54 AM
A well thought out plan Miles and one I concur 100%. Sad, but true Honda has dropped the ball on this one IMO.
My 2013 F6B is black and its paint is junk IMO, it is the newest Honda I own all the others are 02 to 05 all made and painted in Marysville with paint that is as good today as the day Honda painted them. I will take action as I see fit or join a class action if needed.

Larry, funny you should say that, because two of my wife's bikes are a 2002 and a 2005 Hondas, yet both were painted in Japan, and both are all Black bikes, and the paint on them looks 100 % better than this 2013 F6B. Hers' are a 2002 Magna 750, and a 2005 Helix. Japan must have changed their painting process over the years. Maybe that is why (joking) they no longer make the Magna or the Helix :icon_wink:

dirtwiz
07-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Teach, if you are "sure" we won't be disappointed...then you would be wrong. I read your other post, and it definetly reads as having been written by someone that clearly does not own one of these bikes yet.

Until Honda makes their decision as to what "they" are going to do regarding the bad paint on our bikes, I believe it would be an error to cover the bad paint with Liquid Glass, before the Honda reps get a chance to see and document every one of these bikes. I, for one, am not into washing my bike every time I take it out for a ride, and I most certainly am not into waxing it or polishing it...at all...ever. But then again, I ride my bike...rather than post about bikes I don't even own.

The Professor
I was considering buying a new F6B and have the cash available to do it but....there is no way I will consider laying down $20K for a bike with a second rate finish. Honda is better than that. These are amazing bikes but not with this problem.

CheesyRider
07-15-2014, 08:53 PM
I was considering buying a new F6B and have the cash available to do it but....there is no way I will consider laying down $20K for a bike with a second rate finish. Honda is better than that. These are amazing bikes but not with this problem.

New leftover 2013s can be found for $15,000. That leaves $5000 for a repaint!

Scotrod
07-15-2014, 09:44 PM
New leftover 2013s can be found for $15,000. That leaves $5000 for a repaint!

I'm going to encourage folks who are considering a 6 but just aren't sure about the paint to NOT buy one. :nono:

There are plenty of really shiny bikes down the street at the other dealers! :icon_twisted:

:icon_biggrin:

:cheers:

CheesyRider
07-15-2014, 10:40 PM
I'm going to encourage folks who are considering a 6 but just aren't sure about the paint to NOT buy one. :nono:

There are plenty of really shiny bikes down the street at the other dealers! :icon_twisted:

:icon_biggrin:

:cheers:

Fair point. I know I'd be pissed if I purchased an F6B without knowing about the paint issue. I think one of the reasons there are such big discounts is a lot of people aren't buying them because of the paint problems. I haven't purchased mine yet, but thanks to this forum I'll be going in knowing what to expect. It makes the thought of repainting much easier to take. I still plan to complain to Honda about the paint if I find it is as bad as people say. If only to help the cause of those who didn't know about the paint until after they brought their bike home.

hossners
07-16-2014, 12:09 AM
I knew about the paint issues before buying my F6B. I bought a deeply discounted 2013. Within two weeks I had it stripped down and all the red parts clear coated at the auto body shop. Since I did the work and the paint was brand new, the job was relatively cheap - no chips, no scratches, no re-paint. Just $500. And 3 evenings on either end for the disassemble/re-assemble. Looks super sharp and no worries from here on out! Eyes wide open - and loving every minute of it!
Steve in OR

SmallPasture
07-16-2014, 06:39 AM
I'm close to 5k and at least 5 washes and LG applications. So far not a swirl or any paint coming off on applicators or wipe offs. The bike is covered under a very dusty carport and even w/ that I'm not finding any noticeable scratches. Was the issue taken care of on the 14'? I can't remember if I read that here or not. :shrug:

Scotrod
07-16-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a HOR painted 6. Wife has an OEM black 6 we bought at HOR 1 week after picking mine up.

There is not a HUGE difference between the paint on either bike.

Neither of us are 'polish-aholics'. :nono: :spank: Each bike has been waxed once since Sept of 13.

~Modern~ paint has different care requirements / characteristics than the old paint of yesteryear. :nono: :spank: Everyone claims 'they know what they are doing' but if they get swirls after polishing, eh, well, the results speak for themselves.

In addition, Black is the WORST color you can get for showing swirls. :nono: :spank:

If anyone is a polish-aholic, and wants a black bike, PLEASE do not buy a Honda F6B. Go down the street to the shiny bike store and you'll find all kinds of stuff to 'polish'.

Judge
07-16-2014, 10:34 AM
I have been reading the paint issues and noticed that my bike 2013 F6BD has paint rubbed off on the left rear saddlebag. and some scuffs already. I have had it less than a month...I will let you know what the folks at Honda say.

ghostrider
07-16-2014, 11:05 AM
I have been reading the paint issues and noticed that my bike 2013 F6BD has paint rubbed off on the left rear saddlebag. and some scuffs already. I have had it less than a month...I will let you know what the folks at Honda say.

They'll say "wow! never heard of that before!!" lol like they did mine. They'll take some pictures and send them off to mother Honda, never to be heard from again.

All you can do is to apply the Liquid Glass and carry on. :icon_rolleyes:

darcym
07-16-2014, 11:38 AM
A new paint job doesn't have to be that expensive. If you're willing and able to take the tupperware pieces off yourself, you can take them to a semi-reputable paint shop (:shhh:) and have them repaint it to any color you choose with clearcoat, probably for $600 to $1000, depending on the paint you choose and the shop. I had my Suzuki Burgman done up in a very nice yellow that has held up for years:
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/DarcyM7/Motorcycles/2003%20Suzuki%20Burgman%20400/_MG_7612_zps37071438.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/DarcyM7/media/Motorcycles/2003%20Suzuki%20Burgman%20400/_MG_7612_zps37071438.jpg.html)

Jrockr
03-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Mine originally came straight out the crate as well, I asked the dealer to not touch the paint, don't wash it, or wipe it off.

I cleaned, polished, and waxed it very carefully, and my bike HAS the soft paint problem.

I have installed 3M film on the suspect rub spots but you can simply wipe your finger over the paint and it will scratch.

Like others I have gone the normal route of dealer and mother Honda. Still waiting for a solution from them.
Jkelly,

How did the 3M film work out for you? That is the next step for my F6B due to the paint on the bike. The self healing Technology by it self is worth it, your thoughts?
Jrockr

jkelley
03-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Jkelly,

How did the 3M film work out for you? That is the next step for my F6B due to the paint on the bike. The self healing Technology by it self is worth it, your thoughts?
Jrockr

Works very well, even after I did a repaint I put the film back on for added protection. There are precut kits you can buy for the tank sides, bags etc.

Limoles
03-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Good question, and the answer is that the paint issue started with the bikes being produced in Japan. I have had three GL-1800s prior to this one, and all three were either the Platinum or Titanium paint, and with a combined 325K miles on those 3 bikes....I "never" once had to wax my bikes...ever. I washed them occassionally...I would use Honda Spray Polish cleaner on the windshield and headlights/taillights, etc, but I "never"...ever...waxed or polished the painted surfaces of any of those three bikes, all made and painted in Marysville, OH. :icon_biggrin:

I personally know of a 1000 GL-1800 riders that had NO problems with the paint on their 2001-2010 model Wings. But the bikes from 2012-2013 are the ones with paint problems. And I know, or have heard of....hundreds of F6B riders that have bad paint

In the long run...long run...Honda "will" pay for this. Either through bad press, or through a class action lawsuit, but it will cost Honda more in the long run than it would to simply take care of their loyal customers now. :nono:

I found some signs of conspiracy among Honda Mother and her dealers . Since I also noticed swirls and paint imperfections on my black 13 B + reading all stated above comments , I decided to call Customer Dept. , asking for their response . Similarly to many silly answers , they "suggested" to refer the issues to the dealer , who "should make final decision". After presenting my issues to the local one , dealer got upset I've even mentioned , what in his opinion is my "only imagination followed by other Forum complainers". Riding 55 more miles to another Honda dealer to confirm my dissatisfaction , their service manager didn't even look or try to examine my bike . He only said : "We know that , but it is , what it is and you should live with it" .

I believe , we CAN NOT leave this issue to our own vast improvements / costly re-paintings , or dismayed acceptance of the problem . I suggest to provide official letter , signed by ALL OF US and eventually enforce Honda Company to satisfy our basic demands . Until warranty conditions and time are on our side , the only strong and collective determination should review their arrogant position .

Is anybody there , who posses some judicial knowledge and is able to create properly designed complain , which can start this process ? We need everybody's involvement , so should expect some real effects , benefitting our desires to be fully satisfied . Do I ask to much ?

Steve 0080
03-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Hey Hoglaw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edgeman55
03-17-2015, 01:53 PM
I found some signs of conspiracy among Honda Mother and her dealers . Since I also noticed swirls and paint imperfections on my black 13 B + reading all stated above comments , I decided to call Customer Dept. , asking for their response . Similarly to many silly answers , they "suggested" to refer the issues to the dealer , who "should make final decision". After presenting my issues to the local one , dealer got upset I've even mentioned , what in his opinion is my "only imagination followed by other Forum complainers". Riding 55 more miles to another Honda dealer to confirm my dissatisfaction , their service manager didn't even look or try to examine my bike . He only said : "We know that , but it is , what it is and you should live with it" .

I believe , we CAN NOT leave this issue to our own vast improvements / costly re-paintings , or dismayed acceptance of the problem . I suggest to provide official letter , signed by ALL OF US and eventually enforce Honda Company to satisfy our basic demands . Until warranty conditions and time are on our side , the only strong and collective determination should review their arrogant position .

Is anybody there , who posses some judicial knowledge and is able to create properly designed complain , which can start this process ? We need everybody's involvement , so should expect some real effects , benefitting our desires to be fully satisfied . Do I ask to much ?

Good luck with all that.Short of getting some of those blood suckers-Lawyers who will cost $'s to even start a lawsuit what will Honda do-give us new panels with the crap paint process they are still using?Many of us have spent a lot of hours at our dealers and on the phone,written letters to Mother Honda with nothing done.They at the top along with there dealers feel there is no problem.So short of a custom repaint many use a product like Liquid Glass and it makes my Black look pretty decent.Plus the Tech Spec tank protectors helped with my legs rubbing against the top shelter.I for one have learned to live with it as I love everything else about the bike way too much to get rid of her over paint.Life's short go for a ride:icon_lol:

Old Ryder
03-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Let me stir the pot a little. I am not trying to downplay anybody's complaints, but this was all the rage on the Victory boards, too. The Vics have clear coat but it is very soft and shows every scuff mark each time it is bumped. Like Honda, Polaris would not budge. Many of the Cross Country Tour models were well in the mid 20's on price and along with the clunk in the tranny going into first, it was a serious sore spot with the owners. At the end of the day--or maybe better said would be "at the end of the ride", you look at the complete package. Other than the paint, what other true issues are there on the B? Are you really gonna trade or not buy a B simply because of the paint? What is your better option????? Star Roadliner??? Vulcan??? Triumph Rocket 3????? Take HD for example---best paint on the highway!!!! But what else do you give up to get the killer paint? See link below:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5219-The-hard-way

Most Wing and B guys are not "Peacocks"---they buy the bike to ride. Now don't get me wrong-- I love to Peacock as much as the next guy--but I am tickled with my bike, sorry paint and all. What I really wanted was the House Of Russleville Stealth, but I can easily live with the slow red. At the end of the ride, I am still happy.

Limoles
03-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Thank you for icing my head . So - it is not only Honda's way (?) . If another companies having similar attitudes , it looks to me , like a globally adjusted "system taking short cuts" to generate most money from the minimum investments .

No - this problem will not discourage me at all and I'm going to keep my B . If protective waxing , glassing will not make any difference , I'll trade her for signature-ized in Russellville bike , or simply re-paint locally.

Old Ryder
03-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Thank you for icing my head . So - it is not only Honda's way (?) . If another companies having similar attitudes , it looks to me , like a globally adjusted "system taking short cuts" to generate most money from the minimum investments .

No - this problem will not discourage me at all and I'm going to keep my B . If protective waxing , glassing will not make any difference , I'll trade her for signature-ized in Russellville bike , or simply re-paint locally.

Not just Honda: Now tell me about your complaints :icon_rolleyes:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=120289

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=112481&highlight=paint

http://www.thevog.net/threads/fuel-pump-recall-problem.55532/

Limoles
03-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Not just Honda: Now tell me about your complaints :icon_rolleyes:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=120289

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=112481&highlight=paint

http://www.thevog.net/threads/fuel-pump-recall-problem.55532/

This is a HORROR , which people accepted already and knowingly decided to live with it .
Sadly , we are affected by greedy globalization up to the point , that is no way out .
Illusional quality disappearing fast and search for improvement became grotesque .

Old Ryder
03-18-2015, 11:11 AM
The crazy thing about all of this is that Victory makes an excellent motorcycle. I had over 20,000 miles without a mechanical issue and that is not unusual. There are some GREAT dealers out there--and some that are not--and Polaris don't appear to give a rats rectum about what the public thinks. I could go on and on.

My singular issue came over a nail in my rear tire. Pulled the nail and plugged it with a sheet metal screw and rode it 82 miles --one way-- to have a tire installed. Had my wife follow and then drive me back the next day. The belt on a Vic has to be adjusted after sitting overnight because of the alumumnm frame that expands with engine heat and must cool down overnight to get a proper adjustment. At the time I did not have a belt adjustment tool. Three days before going to Myrtle Beach the 2 closest dealers do not stock tires--1 week wait to get them. So I buy a tire from the local Honda dealer and take it to them and they have no interest in putting it on since I did not purchase the tire from them--Remember--they did not have one and would take a week to get and I was leaving for MB in 3 days. Victory is a bike that is succeeding in spite of the company that makes it and the dealers that service it.

Yep fellas---the paint on my Honda ain't that bad at all! :yes:

Old Ryder
03-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Oh--by the way---I now have a belt tension tool that I will probably never use again since the B has shaft drive---if somebody needs a deal. :icon_doh:

thatonebiker
06-17-2015, 11:57 AM
this is what I deal with every time I wax my bike I have tried liquid glass over 10 coats and I still get this every time I talked to the dealer I got it from and they said they where waiting to hear back from there rep and I called today and the guy I was dealing with quit so now I get to start all over

Fla_rider
06-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Wow I have a red 2013 and mine isn't 1/20 that bad. I put LG on it day 1 and have been happy since. In fact, I put a coat on this past weekend and I can still comb my hair in its reflection.:yikes: oh I had nothing red on my cloth!

tozco
06-17-2015, 02:06 PM
I think the hardness of the paint varies quite a bit bike to bike. Mine is so soft, every bug I have ever hit is imprinted into my paint, no exaggeration.
Regarding victory paint, I found it to hold up fine but the orange peel was so dramatic you couldn't feel proud to own it or show it off. Better smoother paint jobs came on appliances than what was on my 2012 Vic.

thatonebiker
06-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Mine looks good after a coat of liquid glass but that only lasts till I ride it . If I do a 200 mile day or more I have red paint rubbing off on my pants

ghostrider
06-17-2015, 03:00 PM
I think the hardness of the paint varies quite a bit bike to bike. Mine is so soft, every bug I have ever hit is imprinted into my paint, no exaggeration.
Regarding victory paint, I found it to hold up fine but the orange peel was so dramatic you couldn't feel proud to own it or show it off. Better smoother paint jobs came on appliances than what was on my 2012 Vic.

:yes: varies bike to bike AND different parts of the same bike.

opas ride
06-17-2015, 08:36 PM
I think this paint issues thread is pretty much "dead in the water"...Some claim the paint is lousy, others have no issues...I am fairly sure Honda has moved on from the initial complaints, which obviously is of no comfort to those that still have some problems with the paint coming off, pitting, etc. etc.. Fortunately for me I had mine custom painted before purchase as my wife did not like the stock red or black offered in 2013 and I have no complaints...I suppose those that have continued paint issues, can continue to deal with it, keep applying LG and hope for the best....The only other logical options I see at this point, is trade, or sell, the bike for another...Not an answer some may want but what are any other choices at this point??

jkelley
06-18-2015, 06:28 AM
I think this paint issues thread is pretty much "dead in the water"...Some claim the paint is lousy, others have no issues...I am fairly sure Honda has moved on from the initial complaints, which obviously is of no comfort to those that still have some problems with the paint coming off, pitting, etc. etc.. Fortunately for me I had mine custom painted before purchase as my wife did not like the stock red or black offered in 2013 and I have no complaints...I suppose those that have continued paint issues, can continue to deal with it, keep applying LG and hope for the best....The only other logical options I see at this point, is trade, or sell, the bike for another...Not an answer some may want but what are any other choices at this point??

Opas,

I am in the same situation as you. But I am still outraged by the piss poor quality of the factory paint. I feel the frustration of everyone here that has the issue. It is a fine machine other than this problem. The fact that I/we paid 20K for a bike with such poor paint to me is unacceptable.
However, Honda wont do anything about it other than replace a few panels for those that scream the loudest with the same piss poor paint.
I also painted mine but I shouldn't have to do all the work or pay to get a bike painted due to this shit! I just couldn't accept looking at mine in stock form. I will say I will not own another, and have told Honda that. But my little purchase from a major corporation wont make a difference...

Bill1584
06-18-2015, 09:35 AM
I had a 1977 Suzuki GS750 back in the day. I don't think I ever put any sealant of any kind on the paint, only used common dish soap to wash it, and rode the hell out of it. The paint was cheap, I'm sure, but hard as nails. The thing of it is, there was really not that much total area covered by paint on the bike. The F6B has paint all over it. The paint is the dominant feature of the bike. As such, any imperfections are likely large enough scale as to diminish the owner's appreciation of it.

For mine, a '13 B, I just look at whether road dust is building up on the paint surface. Then I wash and dry it carefully and re-coat with lg. Then it's back to the garage. When the lg is fresh, it stays pretty clean on its own. All that said, there are myriad swirls in the paint and that does bother me somewhat. If I could make them go away without a custom paint job I would, but for now and for me it will do just fine. Strangely, the fairing is remarkably free of the swirls. Any idea why? The bags and the 'tank' are the worst.

I don't think any of this has ever crossed my mind when my feet are on the pegs.

Retired Army
06-18-2015, 10:52 AM
How about we just ask Honda to reduce the price of the product by $3,000 and ship it primed and read for the buyer's choice of painters?

SPGrenier
08-10-2015, 11:31 AM
I have to agree with the crappy paint on the 2013. I have a black one and it shows every little imperfection. It's a daily runner so you'd expect some signs of use, but for the money invested, I'd like to keep it looking nice for as long as possible.

My paint problem has just taken care of itself. I don't recommend my solution to anyone though.

About a month ago, my girlfriend and I were stopped at a stop sign. The long and the short of is that we got rear-ended by a lady who simply wasn't looking. So, if anyone asks if a Goldwing F6B can do a wheelie; the answer is yes, when properly struck in the rear by a Ford Fusion.

All kidding aside, there's about $3,700 damage. Since many of the rear end parts will be replaced with new ones, I figured that this would be a great opportunity to take the rest of the paintable parts off and get in painted. My paint guy will cover it with several coats of a clear urethane. Hopefully, this will take care of the problem. Going with the 2015 Dodge Ram "Maximum Steel Metallic" color. Should look good. I'll post pics when it's done.

dickiedeals
08-10-2015, 11:49 AM
I have the 2013 Black with soft paint. It is what it is, Honda will do nothing about it. Put Liquid Glass on it and Just ride it, enjoy it. I'd much rather see Mother Honda address the neck bearing problems they won't admit that they have had for years and still do...I developed the 40 mph wobble at the 18000 mile mark. Now I get to pay the dealer to install All Balls tapered neck bearings to fix the problem and listen to them tell me that installing them voids my warranty.....Not to worries about that statement as that's what Attorneys are for in the event of a warranty repair.........................Dickie