PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think...

er.medic
08-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Why do you think Honda chose not to make ABS an option for us in the USA. They clearly did in Canada, and Europe, I believe. :shrug:

motozeke
08-15-2014, 05:48 PM
I would say primarily price point. I don't think it's a US/Canada/EU thing, because Honda has been offering ABS as an option on most of its U.S. lineup (including the Goldwing) for years. My 2007 VFR800 has optional ABS. They offer ABS all the way down to the CBR300. I think when the marketing schmucks came up with the Base model they were trying to reach below $20K, and they wanted to have a buy-up option (the Deluxe) that wasn't more than another $1,000. Since ABS couldn't fit into either one of those price points, they just decided not to offer it at all.

Thanks, American Honda! :moon:

bigbird
08-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Why do you think Honda chose not to make ABS an option for us in the USA. They clearly did in Canada, and Europe, I believe. :shrug:

It's not an option in Canada. It's standard equipment. As is a tool kit :icon_biggrin:

er.medic
08-15-2014, 06:03 PM
I just wish they had given us the option. I would have paid extra for it. I just don't understand not giving us the option. Same goes for cruise; why not offer it as an option? :wrong:

Fla_rider
08-15-2014, 06:16 PM
It's not an option in Canada. It's standard equipment. As is a tool kit :icon_biggrin:

Rub it in Bird! Rub it in! At least we get two colors each year!:moon:

Injun Joe
08-15-2014, 06:35 PM
I just wish they had given us the option. I would have paid extra for it. I just don't understand not giving us the option. Same goes for cruise; why not offer it as an option? :wrong:

I think that it may be cost prohibitive to retrofit? I wonder the same thing about cruise control and gps.

opas ride
08-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Not an expert by any means and not a real aggressive rider, but I have had 2 bikes with ABS brakes and, in my opinion, the linked-type brake system on the F6B works just a good as any ABS system and is really not necessary on this bike..Probably a cost point issue also, but certainly was in no way a deal breaker for me...Love my F6B!!!

Ixol Phaane
08-15-2014, 08:10 PM
I gotta wonder if ABS is mandatory equipment in Canada and EU? :shrug:

I also gotta wonder, because I have read nothing on the subject, how the linked CBS performs versus the ABS braking.
Anyone got any insight they'd like to share?

I will say that I am impressed with the CBS equipment on my F6, :clap2: and certainly don't feel at all let down by the Honda engineers for not providing the ABS option.

Now, I AM a little put out by the fact that they didn't give me a cute little tool kit in a cute plastic box. I guess I'll have to go search on eBay for an old GL kit.

The Highwayman
08-15-2014, 09:27 PM
ABS is not mandated in Canada. But with our climate and roads, many of us operate motorcycles in less than ideal conditions for much of our riding. We don't enjoy the sunny climate and flawless pavement of LA. As a result ABS is expected on a flagship long distance machine like the F6B. Incidently the ABS is in addition to Combined Brakes. I haven't panic tested the system on the F6B, but I did years ago on an ST1300 and it was a difference maker!

rumble-b
08-15-2014, 09:58 PM
In Australia we get the linked brakes the same as all F6Bs and ABS, as standard. Also tool kit and black or red.:icon_biggrin: We don't get the Deluxe version though, however we can buy all the extras and add them. Heated grips aren't in great demand over here because it's generally warmer and self cancelling indicators aren't a big issue to me. I do like the ABS though because although the linked system works great on it's own, ABS stops the brakes locking up under extreme braking, especially on wet or slippery surfaces.

bigbird
08-15-2014, 10:26 PM
But with our climate and roads, many of us operate motorcycles in less than ideal conditions for much of our riding. We don't enjoy the sunny climate and flawless pavement of LA.

Which makes you wonder why in the world heated grips are not standard in Canada as well.

Steve 0080
08-16-2014, 04:45 AM
I call BS on Honda's part....they call it a $1K option and I call it a $250 add on..... I think the biggest reason is that a lot of slow thinking Americans don't want it or the magic it brings..." we can stop better w/o it, we are better than a machine"

Injun Joe
08-16-2014, 06:25 AM
I call BS on Honda's part....they call it a $1K option and I call it a $250 add on..... I think the biggest reason is that a lot of slow thinking Americans don't want it or the magic it brings..." we can stop better w/o it, we are better than a machine"

How often do you think linked breaking would be enough on it's own though? Would ABS ever come into play in a useful way? Seems like ABS on the F6B might be a little like when we used to hide under our desks at school in case of a nuclear attack. :shrug:

Hornblower
08-16-2014, 07:41 AM

I guess I was one of those "slow thinking Americans" because I used to think I could brake better than ABS, or at least, just as well. Then, I watched a BMW demo at the Daytona Bike Week one year and realized the full potential of ABS. So, definitely, I would love to have ABS on the "6".

XKnight
08-16-2014, 04:26 PM
It is baffling that ABS and cruise control are not options on the F6b. I'd gladly extra pay for the cruise and probably ABS too. Center-stand, heated grips and self cancelling turn signals on the other hand aren't high on my list. Honda should just offer a base F6b with various options so folks can buy what they want.

MinnetonkaMike
08-16-2014, 04:39 PM
I guess I was one of those "slow thinking Americans" because I used to think I could brake better than ABS, or at least, just as well. Then, I watched a BMW demo at the Daytona Bike Week one year and realized the full potential of ABS. So, definitely, I would love to have ABS on the "6".

+1. ABS has been proven in both automotive and two wheeled applications. I wouldn't be surprised if ABS becomes standard [if not by law, by manufacturers "standard"] on most models by the late 2020's because of the increased demand from riders and insurance companies.

I would pay for both ABS and cruise if they were available as factory options.

motozeke
08-16-2014, 05:51 PM
+1. ABS has been proven in both automotive and two wheeled applications. I wouldn't be surprised if ABS becomes standard [if not by law, by manufacturers "standard"] on most models by the late 2020's because of the increased demand from riders and insurance companies.

I would pay for both ABS and cruise if they were available as factory options.

COMPLETELY. It is really outrageous that Honda didn't offer ABS as an option on this bike (and in fact that it isn't standard equipment on a $20K bike in the first place!).

:moon::moon::moon::moon:

shooter
08-16-2014, 08:39 PM
I agree with Opas. With the system on the B I don't see the need. I've only been riding Honda's since 69 so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Then again I don't like ABS on automobiles either. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I think ABS is for non-drivers. In other words people that aren't good at it. It's ok if you aren't a good driver and you need ABS. I just don't want it pushed on me. ABS equipped vehicles should have an ON-OFF switch. I'm an ASE Certified Master Tech so I deal with problems on these systems regularly. Just for me I don't feel the need.

Scotrod
08-16-2014, 08:53 PM
I's take it if it was free. Wouldn't if I had to pay.

rumble-b
08-17-2014, 05:25 AM
I tend to look at ABS a bit like Airbags in a car. They do absolutely nothing 99.99% of the time, but are an extra bit of back up for that .1% when you just might need it.

Jimmytee
08-17-2014, 06:19 AM
I've never owned a bike with ABS so I don't know what I'm missing. Kinda like the cruise control thing."coffee"

As far as the linked braking and ABS, are not cars linked brakes by default?:shhh: They have ABS.

er.medic
08-17-2014, 07:34 AM
I just think there is a difference between "nice to have" options like cruise, and safety type "should have" options like ABS.

Scotrod
08-17-2014, 08:28 AM
And I can see why an ER Medic would want everything as safe as possible, if not for himself, for others as well.

Its all good.