PDA

View Full Version : Valve stem pointing down

DMAGOLDRDR
08-16-2014, 12:43 PM
I can't imagine I am the only one, but after a quick search I have found no mention of the Valve stems pointing to the left.
Now I understand the fact that it doesn't make much difference which way the stem points when the bike is on a center stand BUT what if you didn't get the Deluxe or put a center stand on. While the bike is on the side stand it is a pain to get under and check the tire PSI. (something I do almost every ride)

Can anyone tell me why Honda has the stems pointing left on the F6B. I have never had a bike this way...

opas ride
08-16-2014, 01:15 PM
I do not have any problems with the way they are facing...Yes it is a little difficult to check tires unless you put the valve stem in the down position, but no big deal...Too each his own, but checking your tires before every ride seems a little "over-kill" unless you don't ride often...I have a center stand BTW, therefore not much of an issue, but I rarely check my tires using it, works fine on sidestand for me.....And sorry, but I do not know why they face the way they do....

bob109
08-16-2014, 01:38 PM
The wheel retaining tit which holds the plastic stem support in place is on the left side. That's why the stems face the left side.:icon_wink:

If you turn the OEM stem to the right side the support can no longer be used:shock:

DMAGOLDRDR
08-16-2014, 01:50 PM
I do not have any problems with the way they are facing...Yes it is a little difficult to check tires unless you put the valve stem in the down position, but no big deal...Too each his own, but checking your tires before every ride seems a little "over-kill" unless you don't ride often...I have a center stand BTW, therefore not much of an issue, but I rarely check my tires using it, works fine on sidestand for me.....And sorry, but I do not know why they face the way they do....

I ride very often, in fact the F6B is replacing my Valk with over 105k miles. I keep a close eye on my tires as a nail causing a slow leak may not be found right away. Once a month or so I will jack the bikes up and roll the tires checking for nails or any problems... I know most would say I am a bit over cautious.

shooter
08-16-2014, 02:24 PM
I think you're right on DM. I check my air pressure and tires before every ride. Let the others do as they want and then gripe when they have tire failures. On the stems that right side on the rear would be a little tough to air with the rotor in the way.

DMAGOLDRDR
08-16-2014, 03:37 PM
On the stems that right side on the rear would be a little tough to air with the rotor in the way.

Thanks SHOOTER,, I am not near the bike right now but I never gave the Rotor a thought as it is on the left on every other bike I have !!!! That Single Side Swingarm is the difference.

Thanks again

opas ride
08-16-2014, 03:55 PM

I am not suggesting to anyone to not check tires frequently...I am also somewhat anal about my car and bikes tires and check them several times a month...I just don't check my bike tires EVERY time I ride, but do at least once a week or so...Regards and ride safe

XKnight
08-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Putting air in my F6B tires is about as easy as it gets on a bike and I don't have a centerstand. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Steve 0080
08-16-2014, 06:33 PM
The wheel retaining tit which holds the plastic stem support in place is on the left side. That's why the stems face the left side.:icon_wink:

If you turn the OEM stem to the right side the support can no longer be used:shock:

The "support" is there for a reason...I went to Chrome/steel value stems and still use the support.... only value stems that are directly straight up and down do not need support ....any 90' bend will require support less you sling the value stem out ofd the tire...

Before I sold my Rune I had so 22' valve stems ready to install on the next tire change as there are a PITA to check on a Rune like most other wheels!!!