PDA

View Full Version : New member here with a question

wantone
08-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Just bought 2013 deluxe. Traded in Victory cross country. Will definitely miss the cruise. But that can be solved by installing aftermarket electronic cruise if there's one available.

I'm very short rider at 5.4 and was wondering if midrider ultimate seat will fit me. I had one on my vstar 950 and loved it. As of now with the stock seat my feet are not flat on the ground. I'm on tip toes and that bothers me. I think ultimate has more padding and will raise the seat height. Will that be a huge issue ? I wud definitely love to have an ultimate seat but what if I'm not able to reach the ground.

Also does ultimate make heated seat for F6B yet ?

I placed an order for tall windshield from honda catalog. Does it have good wind protection ? what other mods will I need to do to block the wind coming from the front and underneath ?

I liked the gyno position on the victory cross and how can i achieve that on F6B ? I've short legs so will have to find highway pegs that are long that I can reach to.

It's been a long time I've been this excited for a bike. Made a big mistake buying victory without test ride. Nice bike but not for my small frame. Also I'm done with V-twins. I like the power of 6.

Thanks for ur input.

VP8
08-17-2014, 05:35 AM
Hey Wantone...first off...it might be time for you to change your profile name since you now have one. Anyways...congrats on the new purchase and I hope you enjoy your bike so far.

I too sold my Victory Cross Country (XC) and traded in my Yamaha FJR for the F6B. The XC is around the same height as the F6B, but the width of the 6's seat is what's causing you some reaching the ground issues. I still ride on the stock seat right now, and until I can justify investing in an aftermarket seat...the stock has been working just fine for now. The seat is narrower in the front, and when it is time to stop, you could move forward so you can touch the ground with ease. Also, what might help you is if you wear boots that have a taller sole...maybe an inch or two...so you can be flat footed on the ground. I've also heard of people taking their seat to a shop to have them carve out excess foam so they well sit lower without lowering the bike. Corbin makes custom seats to your liking/need.

As for cruise control, electronic cruise controls can run around $1K+ for the parts and labor to install it. For me...that's a bit much...especially since I rarely used it on the XC anyway. I'm currently using the "Go Cruise" which can be purchased for $20 on Amazon or Ebay. Their is also a "Go Cruise 2 Universal" that's black or chrome aluminum...this is adjustable to fit any grip and is sold for around $35-$40. These work great...especially for the money...there are videos on it on youtube. Another option is to get a throttle lock, such as KAOKO...these generally go for $150 and match the other end of the bar weight for a more slick look.

A tall windshield? Do you like to look through your windshield or over it? I personally hate looking through a windshield...especially in the rain or when there are bugs splattered all over it. Also, I like to be able to feel the wind...especially in the summer time. For me, and I'm taller than you, the tall Honda windshield was WAY too tall for me...but it will suit you if you don't like to feel any wind and prefer looking through a windshield. I purchased an 11" dark smoke Cee Bailey's windshield and love it. They have multiple heights and different shaded windshields to choose from. And they only take a couple of weeks to produce and ship to you. For your height, you may really like the dark 9"or even a light 11". The dark 9" looks sweet.

As for wind from coming underneath, I don't know what you're referring too...this is a fixed fairing bike and the side fairings protect the legs tremendously. This bike is not like the XC where it had a fork mounted fairing and required deflectors or closeouts on the crash bars. Those are not needed with the F6B.

As for highway pegs, I've read really good things about the RIVCO Aero Flip...it's pricy...http://wingstuff.com/products/35528-1-aero-flip-out-highway-pegs-anodized-black-for-honda-f6b-gl1800?context=footrests_stands-f6b But they look sweet and have great reviews. They are also adjustable by moving them forward or backward. I ordered a set myself and am waiting for them to arrive as they are on backorder. You may want to look at the pictures of these pegs and see how far back they can go. Then stick your feet out while siting on your bike to see if you can reach that far before ordering a set.

If you feel your front wheel is a bit unsteady during high speed (beyond 60mph), you may want to consider a fork stabilizer. I installed the Superbrace and I felt a major difference when riding high speed.

Watchdog
08-17-2014, 08:06 AM
I put the tall windshield on mine. I can now ride with my half helmet and not get any wind noise at all. I want to try to find one a little shorter because the top of the shield is right at eye level. I can live with it when it's clean but when the bugs start getting on it drives me crazy. Your gonna love this bike.

opas ride
08-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Just bought 2013 deluxe. Traded in Victory cross country. Will definitely miss the cruise. But that can be solved by installing aftermarket electronic cruise if there's one available.

I'm very short rider at 5.4 and was wondering if midrider ultimate seat will fit me. I had one on my vstar 950 and loved it. As of now with the stock seat my feet are not flat on the ground. I'm on tip toes and that bothers me. I think ultimate has more padding and will raise the seat height. Will that be a huge issue ? I wud definitely love to have an ultimate seat but what if I'm not able to reach the ground.

Also does ultimate make heated seat for F6B yet ?

I placed an order for tall windshield from honda catalog. Does it have good wind protection ? what other mods will I need to do to block the wind coming from the front and underneath ?

I liked the gyno position on the victory cross and how can i achieve that on F6B ? I've short legs so will have to find highway pegs that are long that I can reach to.

It's been a long time I've been this excited for a bike. Made a big mistake buying victory without test ride. Nice bike but not for my small frame. Also I'm done with V-twins. I like the power of 6.

Thanks for ur input.

It is my understanding that the Ultimate seat is about the same height as stock..I have a short inseam also, and went with the Mustang seat which works great for me..I also had a bootmaker add 1/2" soles and heels to my boots and I now can easily flat-foot the bike and feel much more confident overall...I have the adjustable Baggershield 11-19" and it works great for me....No wind noise or turbulence at higher speeds...I do not like, or need, rider pegs so no advise/help on that one....Ride safe

XKnight
08-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Congrats on the new F6B.

If you want to get lower then the Mustang seat is probably your best bet. It will sit you about an inch lower and some folks feel it sits them back a bit while others say it's about the same (it seems to depend on how you sit in the seat).

There are electronic cruise control options out there as well as a bunch of different throttle locks which are much cheaper and work well if you just want to rest your hand occasionally. Go Cruise and Throttlemeister seem to be very popular.

The 19" tall shield will provide significantly better wind protection than the stock shorty shield. You will be looking through it unless you have a very long torso fr your height. Shields are very easy to swap out and many folks have tried a few before settling on one that works best for them. Also, National wind deflectors/Baker Wings are a popular add on for deflecting more wind.

A bellypan is a cheap form of insurance and some folks believe it helps block the wind coming from under the bike and makes the bike more stable.

Rivco Areo highway pegs will give you the riding position you seek, but if your inseam is much shorter than 30" you might not be able to reach the pegs comfortably.

Enjoy the power and handling that the F6B has to offer.