PDA

View Full Version : Clearview Windshield Modification

srt8-in-largo
08-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Interested in trying a Clearview but I'm on the fence between the medium and large size.

If I get the large and it turns out to be taller than I like, can I lengthen the mounting slots and slide the large version of this windshield down to the height of a medium? I tried to illustrate this thought in the pic below... the dashed red lines show where I'd lengthen the slots.

On the surface this seems like a straightforward mod but I'm concerned about how the windshield curves and if these curves would prevent the large shield from sliding further down into the Honda top cover.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rHKPfV5lTfU/U_JxBWKd2II/AAAAAAAACCM/l4wpj5Z4O7A/s800/6_mod.jpg

Scotrod
08-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Might have to cope those areas back,,,, My opinion would be, if you are on the fence, tis better to be too long than too short,,,

Injun Joe
08-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Interested in trying a Clearview but I'm on the fence between the medium and large size.

If I get the large and it turns out to be taller than I like, can I lengthen the mounting slots and slide the large version of this windshield down to the height of a medium? I tried to illustrate this thought in the pic below... the dashed red lines show where I'd lengthen the slots.

On the surface this seems like a straightforward mod but I'm concerned about how the windshield curves and if these curves would prevent the large shield from sliding further down into the Honda top cover.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rHKPfV5lTfU/U_JxBWKd2II/AAAAAAAACCM/l4wpj5Z4O7A/s800/6_mod.jpg

I'll try to make note and maybe shoot a pic or two when mine arrives... should be tomorrow.

srt8-in-largo
08-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Scot, so you think this can be done? What do you mean by "cope those areas back"?

Bigdaddy, that's very cool of you. Thanks! I'd love to hear your opinion of this and the shield in general when you get it.

F6BPDX
08-18-2014, 05:51 PM
I would think you would be able to do it without too much hassle. That being said if it was me I would probably order both and see which I liked better and return or sell the other.

salane972
08-18-2014, 06:03 PM
I ordered a tall one (waiting for it now) and I too couldn't decide between the tall or medium however I read on Clearview's site that as long as you do not peel off the plastic on the windshield you can exchange it if not happy. The plastic allows you to install and test-ride before you make a "final" decision.

SPGrenier
08-18-2014, 06:23 PM
I just installed the Clearview medium, sport touring, vented, in light grey which gives me between 15 1/4 and 16 inches in height as measured from the top of the dash. I have it at the highest level. I'm 6 ft and sit on an Ultimate king seat.

The top of this shield hits me around the upper lip allowing me to see over the windshield which is what I wanted. The wind deflection hits me at the hairline which I'm ok with. Prior to the windshield I used to have to squint as the wind would churn behind my eye glasses if I didn't use my helmet shield. Now, with the med windshield, there is no wind directly in my face. I can sit naturally in the saddle and relax my eyes completely. It's awesome.

For me, if I went with the tall, I'd probably have the top of the windshield directly in my view. I don't want to look through the shield when I ride.

Suggestion: I took a piece of poster board and held it against the outside of the stock windshield. Raise the poster board up and down to a height that you feel would work from you. Make sure you measure the height as Clearview does. Doing this definitely helped identify a windshield height that worked for me. I've seen too many posts of owners collecting large numbers of windshields and didn't want to join them. I seem to have got it right.

The install was a piece of cake.

rumble-b
08-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Just a tip ( from experience ) If you are going to drill or cut the shield, put some masking tape over and around the area that you are going to cut before you start. This just helps to stop any chipping or splintering that can happen.

MinnetonkaMike
08-18-2014, 08:21 PM
no need for buyers remorse if you trade me for the shield I have up in the classifieds section...its just what you are looking for :yes:

I put some pictures up for reference so you can get an idea of the height/look. It measures 8.5" taller than stock in the middle (tallest section)

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks.

srt8-in-largo
08-18-2014, 08:59 PM
I've seen a few people mention Clearview's great exchange policy so I guess I'll take a swag and see what happens.

I just installed the Clearview medium, sport touring, vented, in light grey which gives me between 15 1/4 and 16 inches in height as measured from the top of the dash. I have it at the highest level. I'm 6 ft and sit on an Ultimate king seat.

Is that seat higher, lower, or same height as OEM?

Great info. I'm considering passenger coverage so I'm thinking a taller shield would be better.

no need for buyers remorse if you trade me for the shield I have up in the classifieds section...its just what you are looking for :yes:

I put some pictures up for reference so you can get an idea of the height/look. It measures 8.5" taller than stock in the middle (tallest section)

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks.

Nice looking shield but I'm shooting for a Clearview.

F6BLK
08-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Definitely clearview is the way to go! I'm 5 11 and on a stock seat the medium is just perfect to look over the top very quiet no buffeting! Why fiddle around with cutting it get the right size!I think with the Clearview with its recurve you want to look over the top and not through the shield..this shield in light smoke medium is tremendous!

Scotrod
08-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Cope = cut. Not uncommon, but it's not something that always goes perfect each and every time,,, if you get my drift,,, Mistakes can happen,,, :icon_frown:

With Clearviews exchange policy,,, I gotta say what those before have said,,, get both/send one back,,,, (Or keep 'em both! :stirthepot:)

SPGrenier
08-19-2014, 09:16 AM
I've seen a few people mention Clearview's great exchange policy so I guess I'll take a swag and see what happens.

Is that seat higher, lower, or same height as OEM?

Great info. I'm considering passenger coverage so I'm thinking a taller shield would be better.

Nice looking shield but I'm shooting for a Clearview.

As to the seat/riding height of the Ultimate King, I'd have to say that it's probably the same height. However, that being said, the seat on this bike is big. I find that the width of the Ultimate seat seems to spread the thighs a bit more giving you the sense that it's higher. I still have no issue stopping flat footed. That Ultimate seat was pricey, but it's soooooooooooooo nice. I figured I needed something nice to get me through the F6B's 300,000 mile engine rating.

As to Clearview's return policy: Just don't peel off the protective film from the shield and they would take it back. I mounted the windshield with the film on it and took it for a ride; testing it up to 85mph on the highway. I didn't bother putting the front cover back on for the test. Obviously this would be a problem if you have a tall windshield that you have to look through. I could see over it, so it wasn't a problem.

Injun Joe
08-20-2014, 01:48 PM
I'll try to make note and maybe shoot a pic or two when mine arrives... should be tomorrow.

Looks to me you could lower it 3/4-1" further. Tried to show it in the pics. Look at the washer in the center. I should have measured it, but I'm thinking it's about an inch in diameter. I think the curve would be a non-issue for you. I'm loving the shorty Clearview! Perfect for what I wanted if I had to move away from the stock shield. The recurve continues the line of the nose almost exactly as well.

Stick
08-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Bike came with the tall, clear shield. 5'9" Cut the shield down 2 1/2 inches and it's perfect. Fortunately. Don't want to be trying to look thru a windshield in a big rain, particularly at night. Field of vision just clears the top of the shield. For what it's worth -- -

fxdl2051
08-21-2014, 02:28 AM
I'm 5'6" had to go with the tall shield, the medium just was too low to cut and left too much wind noise I still wanted to lose. I'm happy with their tall shield, I can look over it at a mid setting but can keep the open cockpit feel of the bobbed stock shield. For some reason a shorty helmet works better than a 3/4 for cutting wind noise, maybe it's just the helmet I've been using. With the recurve it's pretty effective and I like the softer rounded edges better than the stock GL shields. As for Clearview, they have excellent customer service, I can't say enough good things about them.

srt8-in-largo
08-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Well I ordered the large... recurved... no vent... sport tour... dark tint :.batman-smilie. Clearview says leadtime is 12 to 18 business days.

I'm hoping it'll look as good in person as in the pics.

98valk
08-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Well I ordered the large... recurved... no vent... sport tour... dark tint :.batman-smilie. Clearview says leadtime is 12 to 18 business days.

I'm hoping it'll look as good in person as in the pics.

That's exactly the shield that I am hoping to get, too! I look forward to your feedback.

I am a bit concerned about seeing through the dark tint at night and in shadows (looking over, but seeing through). Also wind protection at speed is a question.

I think it looks fantastic on the bike. Hope it is great! Let us know :yes:

srt8-in-largo
08-21-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm thinking I'll be able to look over the top of the large Clearview.

Using Clearview's measuring method, my Madstad is 16.5" above the Honda logo on the dash and I see over it just fine. I can see an object on the ground 50 feet in front of the bike and I'm not that tall either at 5'10".

Sounds like the medium might be fine for wind protection of the driver but I wanted a bit more protection for a passenger.

hiflyer
08-21-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm thinking I'll be able to look over the top of the large Clearview.

Using Clearview's measuring method, my Madstad is 16.5" above the Honda logo on the dash and I see over it just fine. I can see an object on the ground 50 feet in front of the bike and I'm not that tall either at 5'10".

Sounds like the medium might be fine for wind protection of the driver but I wanted a bit more protection for a passenger.

I have a clearview and a madstad, the clearview looks really good, but the madstad works better for me.

srt8-in-largo
08-22-2014, 12:41 AM
The Madstad is a great performer, and the adjustability is what I liked. Rake angle and height adjustments give you a lot of versatility in moving the airflow to where you want it... but the need for tools takes much of the convenience away.

I fear I'm joining the windshield hoarder group :icon_biggrin:

Bruce B
08-22-2014, 01:53 AM
The Madstad is a great performer, and the adjustability is what I liked. Rake angle and height adjustments give you a lot of versatility in moving the airflow to where you want it... but the need for tools takes much of the convenience away.

I fear I'm joining the windshield hoarder group :icon_biggrin:

What tools do you need to adjust the Madstad? Mine has two handy knobs that, when loosened, allow full adjustment of height and rake. Couldn't be simpler. No tools needed. And when tightened, they do not work loose. I did go to Harbor Freight and for about $6, bought a tool to measure the rake angle. Made experimenting a cinch. I have the 2nd Madstad to be installed on an F6B and couldn't be happier.

Appearance is an individual and very subjective thing. Personally, I like the aggressive styling of the Madstad.

If I wasn't so impressed with my Madstad's performance and appearance, I'd probably go with the Clearview because the one I had on my Valk was excellent. It was interesting to see that Clearview didn't jump into the F6B market place until they had a fully tested product.

F6BPDX
08-22-2014, 05:26 PM
What tools do you need to adjust the Madstad? Mine has two handy knobs that, when loosened, allow full adjustment of height and rake. Couldn't be simpler. No tools needed. And when tightened, they do not work loose. I did go to Harbor Freight and for about $6, bought a tool to measure the rake angle. Made experimenting a cinch. I have the 2nd Madstad to be installed on an F6B and couldn't be happier.

Appearance is an individual and very subjective thing. Personally, I like the aggressive styling of the Madstad.

If I wasn't so impressed with my Madstad's performance and appearance, I'd probably go with the Clearview because the one I had on my Valk was excellent. It was interesting to see that Clearview didn't jump into the F6B market place until they had a fully tested product.

+1. In addition to that, even if the Madstad took 3 ratchets and a sledge hammer, there is nothing saying you HAVE to keep adjusting it. Sure you have to fiddle a bit in the beginning but once you find your setting it doesn't get moved again.

Scotrod
08-22-2014, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=srt8-in-largo;43443]... but the need for tools takes much of the convenience away.

Hmmm, As said before, no tools needed,,,

Are you over tightening the 2 bolts in the slots? They are to be 'snug', not tight. Full range of rake/height is available by loosening the 2 knobs,,,

I have an older set of brackets with all kinds of holes in them where you can remove/relocate the bolts/knobs in different locations. That's not an adjustment one makes much, if any, after the intial set-up. Once it's set up, 'tuning' is all done with the knobs.

The new brackets don't have all those 'extra' holes,,, so not sure what's going on with yours,, :shrug:

srt8-in-largo
08-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Yes... I was cinching down the bottom bolts with the tools :icon_redface:

I just went out and loosened them so they were only snug, made an adjustment, and then tightened only the upper finger knobs. A quick test ride up to 80mph, and sure enough it all stayed in place.

Idk what I was thinking :icon_biggrin: Thanks guys.

Scotrod
08-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Hot Dayum!!! :banana:

We fixed it!!!

:shake2:

I'm not sure what the 'official ' tension on those 2 bolts is supposed to be, but snug enough to not rattle while still loose enough to slide the shield 'reasonably easy'.

Even a little too tight and it's a rasslin match/PITA, especially if you are the type who likes both sides adjusted equally!!! :shock:

Scotrod
08-22-2014, 10:13 PM
once you find your setting it doesn't get moved again.

I fiddle fart with mine all the time,,, Down w/more rake for country cruising w/ tunes,, less rake / more height for superslab,,, Less rake / lower for more air to my top helmet vents,,,

I just can't help it!!! If it's got knobs, I gotta be tweaking 'em!!! :icon_twisted:

srt8-in-largo
08-22-2014, 11:57 PM
:icon_biggrin:

:yes: