PDA

View Full Version : Hope I didn't make a mistake buying F6B

wantone
08-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Well I did not read this before. But since I'm reading the forum a lot. I keep coming across paint issues. Well this is my 3 day with the bike. I'm afraid the paint is goin to be major issue in the future.

Well that sucks. I was proud I bought honda. Guess not anymore.

What r ur thoughts on paint.

I've 2013 F6B black deluxe.

JackB
08-18-2014, 06:24 PM
I got my black 2013 almost 2 weeks. So far my paint looks great I put one coat of Liquid Glass about to put another coat on.

F6BPDX
08-18-2014, 06:32 PM
The paint is soft. It is a one step process. That being said I couldn't care less about it. If it starts looking like crap in 2 or 3 years I will have it repainted at that point. New color will make it feel like a whole new bike again. To me the F6B is so much more than a paint job that it never even crosses my mind.

RcBtx1999
08-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Well I did not read this before. But since I'm reading the forum a lot. I keep coming across paint issues. Well this is my 3 day with the bike. I'm afraid the paint is goin to be major issue in the future.

I live in South Texas, it was 102 today. I got my bike back in April and have not had any paint issues at all, I've read about them here and I do not know if it is attributed to a certain paint batch or what, but careful reading has directed me to put on a couple coats of liquid Glass and the problem is neutralized. I have not done that yet either. i wash my bike by hand and use the Honda spray on it and I've not seen it come off on the cloth. If paint is the only issue, that is easily rectified. You did not make a mistake. This is a kick ass motorcycle. I'll probably paint mine in a year or two anyway. Happy and Safe riding.7740

Gumby
08-18-2014, 06:44 PM
The paint issue has me very pissed off at Honda. That being said I started my new 800 mile/week commute today. It's a great, great bike. I loved every minute of my pair of hour and a half rides today. The biggest problem was touching 100 mph way quicker than I expected during passes. Fast, comfortable, beautiful, smooth awesome bike with inexcusably shitty paint.

Cool Hand Luke
08-18-2014, 06:53 PM
I bought mine new last year. Paint is soft but not a problem for me. I just wash it and hand dry it with microfiber towel. I have not yet used liquid glass or even wax. I get lots of compliments on bike's looks. Just be careful not to scratch it or use rough rags on it. Maybe some batches of paint are worse than others, I don't know. But paint is of no issue to me.

You be the judge:

The bike in the pictures was just washed with no wax or liquid glass on it and is about a year old with about 16,000 miles on it.

I bought mine to ride and not for show, but I think it looks great, too! :039:

RcBtx1999
08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
I bought mine new last year. Paint is soft but not a problem for me. I just wash it and hand dry it with microfiber towel. I have not yet used liquid glass or even wax. I get lots of compliments on bike's looks. Just be careful not to scratch it or use rough rags on it. Maybe some batches of paint are worse than others, I don't know. But paint is of no issue to me.

You be the judge:

The bike in the pictures was just washed with no wax or liquid glass on it and is about a year old with about 16,000 miles on it.

I bought mine to ride and not for show, but I think it looks great, too! :039:

Right on.....me too! If it comes off, it will end up another color, I'm not even pissed at Honda about it. Rattle Can Rat Bike Red with some haze gray and some red-lead primer, that is the ticket.

XKnight
08-18-2014, 07:01 PM
The paint is soft and scratches easily, but it's not the end of the world and really a non issue so far for me. Maybe in a few years I'll have a different opinion, but I've only had my bike for 2 months and about 2500 miles and my paint looks great. There are a few very minor surface scratches that you wouldn't notice unless you carefully inspected the bike. I don't see it becoming a major problem. I have not had the paint come off while cleaning the bike like some folks have mentioned. I hand wash the bike and apply Bike Spirits cleaner and polish. It has worked great on my previous bikes and can be used on all paint and chrome surfaces. Lots of guys like Liquid Glass too, but I haven't seen a need for it at this point.

Gumby
08-18-2014, 07:09 PM
You be the judge:

:

If a ten foot paint job is ok with you, then good for you. I'm not ok with a $20k flagship model with factory equipped scratches.

Scotrod
08-18-2014, 07:30 PM
All those who are not happy with the paint simply need to sell their bike and get something different.

Ya ever notice how folks who just like to ride really don't get that excited about any 'paint issue'???

Wife and I just 'de-bug' on occasion, wash 'em every now and then, with lotsa riding in between,,, :shrug:

Sure, a '9 mile deep finish' is nice, I suppose, but it wouldn't get treated any different than what I have now. :shrug:

There are plenty of bikes out there drippin with chrome and Purdy paint waiting for you.

Simple enough, so,,,,,, what's stopping you from getting rid of the 6 and buying something shiny?? :shrug:

Cool Hand Luke
08-18-2014, 07:34 PM
If a ten foot paint job is ok with you, then good for you. I'm not ok with a $20k flagship model with factory equipped scratches.

I was standing closer to bike than ten feet, my phone makes great pictures. I have no scratches on my bike (yet). I paid $17,300 new for my bike last year. I would think the flagship model is fully loaded Goldwing which goes for almost $30k, making the F6B a great deal.

If your paint is a problem for you then invoke the warranty at your dealer, or repaint it, or sell the bike and move on.

I get many compliments about the bike up close from other riders (including Harley riders) and not once somebody mentioned that paint looks bad.

powercruzer13
08-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the insanity! :icon_cool:
I do have to ask, not just to you but anyone that obsesses over paint on a motorcycle what's up with that? It has been my experience that if you ride or drive anything in today's environment it is going to collect bumps & bruises along the way, it's never going to stay perfect unless it becomes a museum piece. It's a mode of transportation not a rare artifact. :icon_lol: I intend to ride my motorcycle & drive my cars so whatever happens along the way happens. I certainly do not let my rides deteriorate & they are all in tip top shape regardless of age.
Specifically the F6B is a riding motorcycle with a lot more to offer then most all other bikes in it's class. Even if the paint is not the best in the industry so what? I'm sure I'm going to hear the "I expect perfect _______ on a bike I paid $XXXXXX for" but what bike is perfect?
I guess I'm a bit biased about flat six powered bikes & may be willing to overlook what I consider minor flaws for the overall awesome-ness that the F6B is. :yes::icon_cool:

Bottom line is in giving my reply to what was posted is, maybe you did make a mistake & need to find that bike out there with the perfect paint. :shrug:
Best to you in your search...Flame suit on. :icon_twisted:
BTW, my 2013 black Standard {made 12/12} has perfect paint.:yes:

Exbmwrider
08-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Fast red, Liquid Glass...no worries.

You need to ride more and worry less. You're going to stress yourself out.

Enjoy your new ride!

Scotrod
08-18-2014, 07:49 PM
I get many compliments about the bike up close from other riders (including ALL riders) and not once somebody mentioned that paint looks bad.

100% true. The only one's complaining are the ones that 'own' it... No one else seems to notice anything,,, :shrug:

PC13, I agree!!! It's a friggin MC, not the Mona Lisa! Ya gonna ride that thing or just putt, park, and pose?? :crackup:

Texas TC
08-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Paint is soft. Red seems more forgiving than black. The paint quality changed when production moved to Japan. Even with clearcoat, like I had on my '12 full Wing, scratches were noticable if you looked closely. Like others have said, the F6B is such a great motorcycle, the minor paint issue is not a factor. Ride it and have fun!

rumble-b
08-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the insanity! :icon_cool:
I do have to ask, not just to you but anyone that obsesses over paint on a motorcycle what's up with that? It has been my experience that if you ride or drive anything in today's environment it is going to collect bumps & bruises along the way, it's never going to stay perfect unless it becomes a museum piece. It's a mode of transportation not a rare artifact. :icon_lol: I intend to ride my motorcycle & drive my cars so whatever happens along the way happens. I certainly do not let my rides deteriorate & they are all in tip top shape regardless of age.
Specifically the F6B is a riding motorcycle with a lot more to offer then most all other bikes in it's class. Even if the paint is not the best in the industry so what? I'm sure I'm going to hear the "I expect perfect _______ on a bike I paid $XXXXXX for" but what bike is perfect?
I guess I'm a bit biased about flat six powered bikes & may be willing to overlook what I consider minor flaws for the overall awesome-ness that the F6B is. :yes::icon_cool:

Bottom line is in giving my reply to what was posted is, maybe you did make a mistake & need to find that bike out there with the perfect paint. :shrug:
Best to you in your search...Flame suit on. :icon_twisted:
BTW, my 2013 black Standard {made 12/12} has perfect paint.:yes:

+1 :yes:

98valk
08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
One nice thing about a crappy paint job, is that I don't worry about the paint!

I should be clear that I bought mine second hand, knowing that I was getting a crappy paint job. I was right!

The paint is not why one should buy/own this bike. IMHO

Some day when it gets repainted, then I'll have something to worry about. :shhh:

Jimmytee
08-18-2014, 08:20 PM
I have read about this issue for quite some time, but in all honesty, I've not experienced any issues with my red one. I have put a couple coats of Liquid Glass on her since I bought it a month ago. No paint has ever come off on my rag, and I've seen no swirls or scratching. I've washed her with turtle wax car wash, and wiped her down with Lucas Mist and a micro fiber towel. So far so good.:shrug::yes:

shooter
08-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Guys my family has been in the paint and body business for almost 50 years. My paint on my 2013 standard is good. If I get a scuff I use a little Meguiars on it and I detail every week with Lucas Slick Mist Yeah I ride mine 2 up almost every weekend. It looks great. I bought it to use but I like to look good doing it.

smokinjoe187
08-18-2014, 09:00 PM
if you answer this i want to ride,thenjust know you bought a great bike
i have had mine since march of 13
i ride every day
its black and beautiful...
dont listen to everyone who tells you how soft this paint is
its 2 years old now....
waxit,ride it,waxit ride it...
i use adams detail spray and wipe it after every ride...yes thats a little anal
i use mequires black wax once a month
but,i have no swirls,and i still get stopped and told how beautiful it is
i have 24 k on my lil black rocket now(yes thats the name)
still loving every mile...
relax,its all about the ride

opas ride
08-18-2014, 09:14 PM
I do not intend to get into any paint issues/debates on the F6B as I had mine custom painted at pick-up because my wife and I did not like the Honda red or the black...But, after viewing many posts on this "so-called paint problem", and not wanting to do the best with what you have, just SELL the damn thing and stop complaining about something that upsets you all the time...Paint your bike or live with it and enjoy the greatness of this fine bike....Honda is not going to do anything about a few that complain about an issue they do not see as a problem...C'mon guys this paint issue is becoming worse than all the old oil threads!!

Phantom
08-18-2014, 09:46 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The paint issue has been a thorn to some and nothing to others.

Honda has not and obviously will not address this issue.
We brought it to their attention in Daytona Beach … Spring 2013 and still no solution.
Honda has obviously ignored the issue and will not admit to the fact that there might be a problem.

So ….. I HATE to say this, not trying to flame anyone ….. I would be upset also but ….
You just have to accept it and either use the over the counter remedies or re-paint your bike. 'surrender2'

This Flat 6 motorcycle is a great bike, it is meant to be ridden and not to be looked at as an investment or a piece of Art.
It's a HONDA, Goldwings depreciate in value just like most Japanese motorcycles, so ride the hell out of it and enjoy the miles of smiles, and hopefully you will be able to replace 30 sets of tires on it before you get rid of it.

So for now ……'surrender2'lets RIDE ……. 'riding'

Injun Joe
08-18-2014, 09:47 PM

As you're finding out, you won't get sympathy here. A fanaticism is present that allows for nothing short of complete devotion. I'm surprised we haven't yet heard that soft paint is somehow superior to a proper paint job.

That being said, I find the whole issue bizarre. I thought it had to be exaggerated. How can Honda forget how to paint a vehicle properly? How many Honda vehicles have come before?

I do agree, it could be worse, but it ain't right. Honda should do a recall, but I don't see that happening. My dealer is a real mensch and is replacing a couple panels. In the mean time, I'm applying multiple coats of Liquid Glass and crossing my fingers it's as good as people are saying.

Don't get it twisted -- I'm very happy with my choice. But I bet there are other $20k motorcycles being sold that come come complete with decent paint. How do you think a primer red 6 would look? I love inside jokes like that.

mike2000t
08-18-2014, 09:50 PM
I put liquid glass on mine at about two weeks. So far I have about 5 coats built up over the six months 7,000 miles I've owned her. No issues. The opposite for me. It may be the Liquid Glass, maybe not, but after my last trip, I acquired a few scuffles/light scratches. Another coat of LG with light hand buffiing and they are gone.

Works for me.

F6BPDX
08-18-2014, 10:11 PM
As you're finding out, you won't get sympathy here. A fanaticism is present that allows for nothing short of complete devotion. I'm surprised we haven't yet heard that soft paint is somehow superior to a proper paint job.

That being said, I find the whole issue bizarre. I thought it had to be exaggerated. How can Honda forget how to paint a vehicle properly? How many Honda vehicles have come before?

I do agree, it could be worse, but it ain't right. Honda should do a recall, but I don't see that happening. My dealer is a real mensch and is replacing a couple panels. In the mean time, I'm applying multiple coats of Liquid Glass and crossing my fingers it's as good as people are saying.

Don't get it twisted -- I'm very happy with my choice. But I bet there are other $20k motorcycles being sold that come come complete with decent paint. How do you think a primer red 6 would look? I love inside jokes like that.

To me it has zero to do with fanatacism and everything to do with ride quality is more important than paint. If my #1 objective was paint I would own a new whiskey colored HD, but I choose to ride the s#!t out of my 6 and will repaint IF it ever becomes too bad to stand.

The lack of sympathy I think comes from the fact that a guy can spend $15-20k and then have a (highly sporadic) paint issue he reads about on a forum make him question it. And OP don't take that as a shot solely at you, you arent the first and wont be the last, but please ride more and worry less.

toy_collector
08-18-2014, 10:15 PM
I work in the paint industry (automotive for 14 years and architectural for 5) and the paint issue some are having sounds like an off ratio catalyst issue. This could cause very soft paint for some while others could have perfect paint. I certainly feel for those that are having an issue and if it happened to me I would appreciate some sympathy rather than scorn. Unfortunately if it is an off ratio issue there will be nothing you can do about it short of replacing the panels. I definitely believe this could be a real issue with some being very bad while others are perfectly fine depending on the day and batch of paint that was used.

ED209
08-18-2014, 10:26 PM
My F6B is my commuter and fun bike. While I take a micro fiber cloth and a little Honda detail spray and complete a super beautiful clean in 2 minutes, my Harley buddies take many hours and many tools and cleaners to achieve the same. :icon_cool:

As the postman says:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

motozeke
08-18-2014, 10:34 PM
The paint is soft. It is a one step process. That being said I couldn't care less about it. If it starts looking like crap in 2 or 3 years I will have it repainted at that point. New color will make it feel like a whole new bike again. To me the F6B is so much more than a paint job that it never even crosses my mind.

My perspective exactly.

Scotrod
08-18-2014, 10:37 PM
I take a micro fiber cloth and a little Honda detail spray and complete a super beautiful clean in 2 minutes, :

DAYUM!!! I'll have to bring mine over to your place so you can show me how it's done!!!

I'm a pretty slow learner, so it will probably take 10, maybe 14 times watching you do a 100% complete job before I'd catch on,,,, :icon_biggrin:

Cool Hand Luke
08-18-2014, 10:39 PM
I work in the paint industry (automotive for 14 years and architectural for 5) and the paint issue some are having sounds like an off ratio catalyst issue. This could cause very soft paint for some while others could have perfect paint. I certainly feel for those that are having an issue and if it happened to me I would appreciate some sympathy rather than scorn. Unfortunately if it is an off ratio issue there will be nothing you can do about it short of replacing the panels. I definitely believe this could be a real issue with some being very bad while others are perfectly fine depending on the day and batch of paint that was used.

I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense. That's why this forum rules, I learn something new all the time.

I believe that my bike does not have a paint problem. However, I believe that some people's rides do have bad paint. So for all of you with bad paint I feel for you. I do think that Honda should do something to make it better, especially since we all have warranty and many, myself included, have bought an extra warranty from Honda. I also note that soft paint does not take away from rideability of the bike, I think that F6B (and Goldwings in general) are simply some of the best riding bikes made today. I am sure glad I bought one and intend to keep it for several years at this point, even if I ended up painting some of it's panels over at some point.

Now, can we all just get along? :clap2:

ED209
08-18-2014, 11:23 PM
DAYUM!!! I'll have to bring mine over to your place so you can show me how it's done!!!

I'm a pretty slow learner, so it will probably take 10, maybe 14 times watching you do a 100% complete job before I'd catch on,,,, :icon_biggrin:

I got to get to work in a hurry, I give it 2 minutes of cleaning and Im gone. My paint don't matter as much as this does.... :icon_mrgreen:

rumble-b
08-19-2014, 02:04 AM
Just ride it hard and wash it gentle. 'riding' That's the bike i'm referring to ,not ED209s picture.........although on second thoughts........:icon_lol:

richw56
08-19-2014, 04:31 AM
Just ride it hard and wash it gentle. 'riding' That's the bike i'm referring to ,not ED209s picture.........although on second thoughts........:icon_lol:

Love it! :icon_lol:

This paint thing has been interesting.
It made me cautious about making the purchase in the first place.
But I really haven't noticed anything unusual about the paint on my bike (yellow deluxe) at all.
It seemed to me that the black '04 VTX 1300C I had for ten years before the F6B showed swirl marks pretty quickly, but I haven't noticed that on the new ride so far.
Maybe I caught a break on the off ratio catalyst thing (great informative post by toy collector).
Or maybe it's just that it's harder for me to see swirl marks on yellow.
But at least the off ratio catalyst hypothesis would help explain why many of us don't seem to have a paint issue at all, while others are being driven crazy by their paint jobs.