PDA

View Full Version : Cubby Key Mod... with a twist

srt8-in-largo
08-18-2014, 08:32 PM
There's a couple folks who did some work on making auxiliary keys for the gas cap and center pocket. Fred's page is the older one, then Paul came after and added details and improvement. In all cases people agree that 27 is the correct base key.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/keyknob

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?252599-How-to-make-key-knobs-for-the-fuel-door-and-right-pocket

Both of these cases resulted in much discussion about security; of someone taking your gas cap key, for example, and starting your bike. The best mechanical solution was to use a 27R key. Most people agree that the 27R key will in fact start your bike but it can't operate your fork locks.

So tonight I head into Home Depot to get some of these keys made and I discover their key machine is now electronic. I gave the guy my key, he slides it into a scanning bay on the key machine, and the machine optically scans my key... and suggests a 31. Hmmm.

I override the machine and tell the guy I want two 27R's. He takes a closer look at my OEM key for comparison to the 27R and advises that the channels and thicknesses don't match, but I insist and he agrees to make me a set. I pay the $4, stroll to the parking lot to test them, and neither 27R worked anywhere on my bike. I applied a good deal of force and tried operating the 27R's at varying depths. No way, no how, no dice.

So I sheepishly go back in and ask for the 31. No problem, he cuts me a set. Pay, stroll, test... BAM! The keys work in my gas cap, center pocket, and sidebags but WILL NOT turn the ignition switch AT ALL. As a final twist to all this, I look at the key tags when I got home and they are 31R, not 31.

One of the 31R keys worked quite smoothly but the other was intermittent. I did some very careful file work to the intermittent key and it seems to work fine now. I tested again in the ignition with varying forces, angles, depths, and twisting motions but still neither 31R would turn the ignition... which is puzzling because it looks identical to the OEM key except it's noticeably thinner.

So idk... did I stumble on a base key that solves the security issue?

Why did my key get recognized as a 31 instead of a 27?

Fla_rider
08-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Hmm. He said the same to me but my 27R worked fine.

srt8-in-largo
08-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Does your 27R start your bike, but won't work the fork locks?

(You're a fast reader btw! :icon_biggrin:)

Scotrod
08-18-2014, 09:31 PM
You can take your OEM Honda key , cut it off short enough to flush mount*** an OEM radio knob on it, and it will work the gas/cubby/s-bag locks, but still not start the bike,, :icon_wink:

I leave my 'knob keys', each one cut to their specific length, in the bike w/o any fear of someone starting the bike...

They might get in the glovebox, tank, or S-bags, but nothing else. (I actually only use knob keys in the S-bag and g-box tumblers. I open my G-cap w/my IG key,,,)

Think I paid 12 buck or so for 6 OLD style (first gen) Goldwing radio knobs on flea-bay. Made several 'knob keys for me and the Mrs.

*** FLUSH MOUNT: The keys I made for the G-box have about 1 1/8 inch of 'keyed shank' on them. Key will not insert beyond 1 1/8 inch before the knob hits. Way to short to start the bike, even if it's an OEM Ignition key. Our S-Bag keys are slightly longer, but still too short to start the bike. Each location has it's specific 'depth', and none require a key long enough to turn the ignition,,, other than the ignition. :icon_wink:

Now, one could take a knob key, remove the knob/insert what's left into IG somehow far enough to release the pins/allow the switch to turn.
A person could also swipe your knob key and have a full length key made, come back and ride your bike away, but, then again, locks are only for honest people,,, :shrug:

Steve 0080
08-19-2014, 08:02 AM
+1 ....Scotrod

Hardrock
08-19-2014, 08:37 AM
The guy at the hardware store screwed up on 2 out of the 3 I had made. They weren't the 27r, have to see what number he used. But I liked his screw up, cause 2 only work inserted 1 way. None of them work the ignition. So what I do is ride with them in correctly, then reinsert them rotated 180 degrees if i leave the bike.
Obviously I just take them out if I want to be sure of no one opening anything. The knobs I bought have a dot on the top, when the key is actually in the wrong way. So I ride with them with the dot on the bottom of the knob face.

Scotrod
08-19-2014, 10:30 AM
We have had 'less than stellar luck' with most any type of key made at big box stores,,, "Hit or miss",,, :shrug:

We started going to a Locksmith,,, They cut keys 'old school' style,,, no cartridges or gizmo's,,, and they KNOW keys,,, 100's of different blanks on the wall,,, 100% success rate so far!!! :yes:

Hornblower
08-19-2014, 02:30 PM
We have had 'less than stellar luck' with most any type of key made at big box stores,,, "Hit or miss",,, :shrug:

We started going to a Locksmith,,, They cut keys 'old school' style,,, no cartridges or gizmo's,,, and they KNOW keys,,, 100's of different blanks on the wall,,, 100% success rate so far!!! :yes:

+1 Scotrod :agree:

zekepa
08-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Had 2 keys made from 27R blanks at Home Depot. Both would start the bike but not unlock the forks.

I found some aluminum knobs at work, I cut slots inside them with a dremel, both of them were a force fit. The one for the saddle bags I cut an extra slot so I can use a quarter to help turn it if need be. I also drilled a hole through the knob and key and installed a roll pin on the saddle bag key.

With them in the knobs they are to short to work in the ignition.

The oem key is slightly thicker than the 27R.

Fla_rider
08-19-2014, 08:17 PM
So I went to check to see what everyone was talking about. I took my normal key and locked the steering, then I took the two 27r keys I cut and tried them neither unlocked the steering. Next I unlocked the forks with the normal key. Then I tried to start the bike with the same two 27r keys again neither would start the bike. Here is a pic of my keys.

I might add that the shortness of my cubby and gas tank key might be preventing their use with the ignition tumbler.

rumble-b
08-19-2014, 10:08 PM
I don't know if it is the same in the US & Canada etc, but i assume it is. My key is micro chipped with the H.I.S.S ( Honda Ignition Security System ). So even if a complete new key is cut and it will unlock the steering lock, it will still not start the bike because it wont have a compatible micro chip in it to match with the bikes computer. When i bought my F6B i got 2 keys, one red and one black. The dealer emphasized the need to keep the Red key some place safe , just in case i lost my black key. With out the red key and corresponding micro chip number, they would have to replace the ECU so that the new key and numbers would match it.

Scotrod
08-20-2014, 08:11 AM
No HISS on F6B's here.
Unclear, but I believe some Gwings may have HISS :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Scotrod
08-20-2014, 08:14 AM
[/COLOR]
I might add that the shortness of my cubby and gas tank key IS preventing their use with the ignition tumbler.

Fixed it fer ya! :yes:

BIGLRY
08-20-2014, 12:00 PM
No HISS on F6B's here.
Unclear, but I believe some Gwings may have HISS :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:My Rune as well as all Runes (04/05) have the HISS system and all I can say is DON"T LOSE your key cause without a chip key you can not start bike or program another key and Honda makes you buy a complete ECU with Key to fix, about $500 with one key. :yikes:
I'm thankful Honda did NOT use the HISS system on the F6B:clap2:

rumble-b
08-20-2014, 08:42 PM
No HISS on F6B's here.
Unclear, but I believe some Gwings may have HISS :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

It's strange how Honda fit and remove different items for different countries. Other than for compliance reasons, you would think they would all be the same.

srt8-in-largo
08-21-2014, 07:10 PM
I don't get Honda's logic for this HISS stuff. Why would they put it on the Rune and maybe some Goldwings but not the stateside F6.

I got the mode knobs from Partzilla and finished making cubby keys with my 31R's. Work swell... and does not operate the ignition even when they were full length :shrug:

+2. I guess mt 27R's just weren't cut right. Also agree that a proper locksmith would do a much better job.