PDA

View Full Version : LED Headlights

Bosman
08-19-2014, 02:45 AM
Has anyone replaced the stock headlights with the new LED's? If so, what do you think? Which ones did you go with?
I saw some on a Valkyrie the other day and they looked great. They made the HID's look like coal lamps!

Darkknight
08-19-2014, 06:12 AM
I installed SoCal HID's for low beams about a month ago.
The HONDA LED lower driving lights were much brighter than the stock low beams. These low beam HID's are much brighter than the HONDA LED driving lights. They really light up the street signs, road markings and you can see quite a bit farther down the road than stock lights. Haven't use my high beams since I installed the LB HID's.

F6B-RICH
08-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Has anyone replaced the stock headlights with the new LED's? If so, what do you think? Which ones did you go with?
I saw some on a Valkyrie the other day and they looked great. They made the HID's look like coal lamps!

Coal lamps I don't think so.My HID's look great .batman-smilie.

hiflyer
08-19-2014, 12:40 PM

In my opinion, the new LED headlights don't light up the road for the rider. They do however look really bright to oncoming traffic. I replaced the stock lights on my last bike with LED's and they projected a beam that I considered useless. I was ticked after spending 700 bucks on something everyone raved about.

Bosman
08-19-2014, 05:41 PM
I knew my comment on HID’s would stir up some people. But the truth be told, seeing them side by side, the LED’s were much brighter. The problem being is that there are many many types of LED bulbs out there. I have seen a lot that were not so good for night driving, but these were the exception. The fellow next to him had HID’s that I thought were great until I saw these LED’s.
That is why I was asking the board if anyone had tried any of the new lamps. I don’t want to waste my money on the wrong lamp.

hiflyer
08-19-2014, 07:39 PM
I knew my comment on HID’s would stir up some people. But the truth be told, seeing them side by side, the LED’s were much brighter. The problem being is that there are many many types of LED bulbs out there. I have seen a lot that were not so good for night driving, but these were the exception. The fellow next to him had HID’s that I thought were great until I saw these LED’s.
That is why I was asking the board if anyone had tried any of the new lamps. I don’t want to waste my money on the wrong lamp.

The point I was making is yes, they are darn bright if you are looking at them. Not so much if you are riding behind them. The beam they project just doesn't light up the road. Send Ken "Hornblower" a private message with your questions. I know he covered this topic in another thread. Besides, he's the light guru.

Steve 0080
08-19-2014, 08:09 PM
LED'S need another year or two and then they may get them figured out...until then...you can not beat HID...I've been running them in everything I own for over 10 years!!!!

1BADF6B
08-19-2014, 08:36 PM
I just ordered cree 60 watt 6k for my bike. I should have them early next week. I will let you know my opinion of them. I have ran HIds forever but I like the look of the led. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Hornblower
08-20-2014, 07:35 AM
I just ordered cree 60 watt 6k for my bike. I should have them early next week. I will let you know my opinion of them. I have ran HIds forever but I like the look of the led. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Could you post the link for those please? Thanks!

fxdl2051
08-21-2014, 02:45 AM
I've seen some really interesting comparisons with Truck Lights and Harley's own led headlight vs Halogen bulbs, very impressive. When they get around to doing something for the GL community, I'll install them without hesitation. Seems like HIDs have a few limitations that make me a little reserved in using them.

Hornblower
08-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Seems like HIDs have a few limitations that make me a little reserved in using them.

I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to but several of us are running the HID's in our lo-beams without any problems whatsoever. The install does require some careful thought on the location for mounting the ballasts but it's well worthwhile for the result.

Also, on using LED's for headlights, let me just say this...you can NOT judge the road-lighting capability by looking at the headlights :nono:! LED bulbs always look bright and maybe even blinding but what we need is light down-the-road. Projection IS the name of this game. Perhaps there already is an LED bulb that compares to HID in this regard but I'm not aware of it. That said, it is just a matter of time until we will all be running LED's. This technology is advancing rapidly :clap2:.

hiflyer
08-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Harley's own led headlight vs .

I switched to the HD LED on the last HD I owned, boy was I disappointed, and $700 poorer, I could not see the road at night. Bright to oncoming traffic but worthless to the rider. I'm not kidding.

F6B-RICH
08-21-2014, 09:14 AM
I switched to the HD LED on the last HD I owned, boy was I disappointed, and $700 poorer, I could not see the road at night. Bright to oncoming traffic but worthless to the rider. I'm not kidding.

Agree.My HD friends/pirates spent top dollar for LED lights and they suck.At night when we ride I lead because my HID's just light up the road better .batman-smilie.

jkelley
08-21-2014, 01:25 PM

Yup, me too. man was I pissed when I finally got to ride it at night. I ended up giving it to a friend, he did that same. No telling who ended up with that $700 disappointment?

fxdl2051
09-18-2014, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE=Hornblower;43285]I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to but several of us are running the HID's in our lo-beams without any problems whatsoever.
I'm hoping you'll know the answer to these.
Is there any way to circumvent the slow start up when using HIDs in hi beam apps for f6, something like a "rapid on" ballast? That being said why not a hi beam ballast that is on all the time with a manual switch between it and the bulb, so you have instant hi beam when you need them?
I like the PIAA Extreme White, halogen bulbs, but since changing the bulbs is such a PIA, I'm thinking something longer lasting might be the ticket, especially with the days getting shorter and the elk coming off the mountains, more lumens down the road seems a good idea.

Hornblower
09-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Is there any way to circumvent the slow start up when using HIDs in hi beam apps for f6, something like a "rapid on" ballast? That being said why not a hi beam ballast that is on all the time with a manual switch between it and the bulb, so you have instant hi beam when you need them?
I like the PIAA Extreme White, halogen bulbs, but since changing the bulbs is such a PIA, I'm thinking something longer lasting might be the ticket, especially with the days getting shorter and the elk coming off the mountains, more lumens down the road seems a good idea.

Two things I don't like based on current technology...HID for hi-beams for the reason you mentioned, slow warm-up. And second, going with higher than stock wattage (55W) halogen bulbs. AFAIK, HID for lo-beams is the current best bang-for-your-buck and LED for hi-beams can be great for color-matching to HID but don't expect powerful down-the-road projection from those hi-beams. IMHO, this will change not far in the future and we'll be using LED's for everything but I haven't see a great solution yet. The good news...the HID lo-beams throw out so much projecting light, you hardly need hi-beams. One caution...HID bulbs combined with our reflector housing tends to scatter light, i.e. the cutoff is not clean. You will probably have to adjust those lower and even then, expect a few oncoming cars to flash their lights at you. Finally, a practical way to provide closer "fill-in" lighting is to go with LED lower cowl lights. My fav is the BikeMP3 960's but there are other good choices as well.

Steve 0080
09-18-2014, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=Hornblower;43285]I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to but several of us are running the HID's in our lo-beams without any problems whatsoever.

I have HID in my Hi-Beams as well, for the Blue Hairs here in FLA..... IMHO I only use the Hi-Beams during the day and rarely use them at night, partially because the low -beams get it done and the warm up time for hi's....I am not aware of anyway to fit that...Are you running the cut out circuit for you HID's...this is a must have item!!!

fxdl2051
09-18-2014, 12:53 PM
...Are you running the cut out circuit for you HID's...this is a must have item!!![/QUOTE]
Presently I've been running Kisan headlight modulators with stock halogens, they work great, people definitely notice them and that's asking a lot from Seaaddled drivers. Their photo relay works perfectly to determine whether the highs will be modulated in daylight or straight hi beams during the eve.
In fact it , I liked that idea so much, it inspired me to put photo relays in my exterior house lights for security, so they they're always on after dusk.
Footnote: according to Kissan tech s'long as my high beams aren't HID their unit will continue to work, though if I go LED on high beams, I've got to buy a new unit or have them reprogram the chip in the one I have now to work with LEDs(I'm just waiting for someone to put some of those 5000 lumen LEDs in their hi beams and let us know how they work).

Elroy
09-18-2014, 01:27 PM
I have HID in my Hi-Beams as well, for the Blue Hairs here in FLA..... IMHO I only use the Hi-Beams during the day and rarely use them at night, partially because the low -beams get it done and the warm up time for hi's....I am not aware of anyway to fit that...Are you running the cut out circuit for you HID's...this is a must have item!!!

How difficult is the installation for the cut-out harness? And is removal of the exhaust covers required? (I'm one of the unfortunates that broke the weld on the bolts holding them on :icon_frown:)

GiddyupF6B
09-18-2014, 03:35 PM
I have hid's up top for low beams and led cowl lights down low........that's all I need. This combo puts more light down the road then my truck lights do. The led bulbs don't have the projection needed to be used as primary lighting imo.

Hornblower
09-18-2014, 05:37 PM
How difficult is the installation for the cut-out harness? And is removal of the exhaust covers required? (I'm one of the unfortunates that broke the weld on the bolts holding them on :icon_frown:)

Quite easy, really. Remove the seat for access to the relay box and left side cover and lower cowl for running the signal wire. As I recall, it's about a 45 minute job.

Elroy
09-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Quite easy, really. Remove the seat for access to the relay box and left side cover and lower cowl for running the signal wire. As I recall, it's about a 45 minute job.

Thanks Ken. So removal of exhaust covers is not necessary? Thought I saw on a pdf instruction where it was...I may be mistaken though.

Hornblower
09-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks Ken. So removal of exhaust covers is not necessary? Thought I saw on a pdf instruction where it was...I may be mistaken though.

If you're referring to the heat shields as the exhaust covers, then, definitely not. You will need to remove the left side plastic panel which first requires opening the left saddlebag.

grendl
09-29-2014, 01:07 PM
I am going to do the lighting upgrade as my second enhancement( belly pan first) and have a question.
From the comments in the forum the 960's appear to be the best option.
My goal is to see the road not so much be seen.I love night riding.....
My lights ,low and high seem adequate but I am thinking cowl lights.
Ok, no laughing but the question is in the cowl lights would HID's work?(well ok,you can laugh:icon_redface:
Second does anyone know the life span compared to stock of HID's in case I did put them in as low beams(or anywhere else)

Hornblower
09-29-2014, 01:43 PM
I am going to do the lighting upgrade as my second enhancement( belly pan first) and have a question.
From the comments in the forum the 960's appear to be the best option.
My goal is to see the road not so much be seen.I love night riding.....
My lights ,low and high seem adequate but I am thinking cowl lights.
Ok, no laughing but the question is in the cowl lights would HID's work?(well ok,you can laugh:icon_redface:
Second does anyone know the life span compared to stock of HID's in case I did put them in as low beams(or anywhere else)

First, the 960's will definitely get you seen, if that's your objective. They also will light up the road directly in front. Some argue that driving lights mounted up higher will do a better job further out and even better illuminate objects in the road like potholes, for example. That said, lower cowl lights work fine IMHO and are the easiest to install.

If you are thinking of installing extra HID driving lights, I would look into mounting those higher and not in the lower cowl. Going that direction seems unnecessary to me because, believe me, those 960 LED's really put out the light and I seriously doubt HID's, in that location, would do any better.

Finally, replacing your stock halogen low beam bulbs with HID will at least double your light down-the-road, use less power (35W vs 55W), and, should last longer than halogen bulbs. HID life will probably be in the 3000 hour range, maybe 3 times the life of halogen bulbs. Of course, LED bulbs can go 10 times that in life. I'm currently working on an LED headlight conversion and will be reporting soon on that outcome. What I've ordered looks promising but it's far too early to say this is definitely the way to go.

Steve 0080
09-29-2014, 01:51 PM
I did a full write up on that...do a search and it will save you some time...

Steve 0080
09-29-2014, 01:53 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?466-E-C-Low-Beam-Cutout-Harness-Part-02116&highlight=beam

here ya go...

grendl
10-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Steve and Hornblower, Thanx for the tips gentlemen. I did a ride in the middle of the night in the Colorado canyons and mountain roads and asked myself a thousand times "what was that" Did I really see something?
' It was the end of a thousand /24 run. So my main objective is to see !
Of course I like the cowl lights anyway ,but that experience convinced me to move functional lighting a lot closer to the top of my list of mods.
Appreciate it ! I'll check the url as I finish this message.