PDA

View Full Version : Risers or helibars ????????

wantone
08-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Just got back from ride n I've pain left side in my neck. I still have stock shield. So not sure if it is due to wind beating me or I need more pullback of handle bars.

Looking at risers. U think that will help ?

How about helibars. How much pullback or rise do they hve. From the pics on their web page I cannot tell any difference. They really r pricey.

XKnight
08-19-2014, 07:28 PM
I would definitely recommend trying risers first. Under $100 and easy to install versus around $800 plus the cost of installation unless you do it yourself.

That being said, a pain in the left side of your neck might not be due to the handlebar position. You should ride the bike for awhile and let your body settle in to it. Windshield is a definite replacement for most and more likley the problem here.

bobbyf6b
08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
I had the same issue. Kuryakyn risers worked for me.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/278/Handlebar-RisersSetbacks-for-GL1800-F6B

You can get them cheaper at one of our vendors on the home page.

Injun Joe
08-20-2014, 02:14 PM
For me, it will have to be Helibars. Risers might even exaggerate the problem. I want more straight across approaching "drag bar" style. Perhaps a little FURTHER away but I think not once the angle is flattened... and maybe somewhat lower. I always like low bars and just don't get the ape hanger fashion fad that is so popular right now.

Scotrod
08-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Wife and I both use MLB 'standard' risers. Work fine for us.

Risers are worth a try due to the comparatively low price as well as a far less complex installation.

Seating position affect's your handlebar requirements as well. Best to get your seat situation nailed down before you go 'all-in' with H-bars.

A Custom seat could bring you a lot closer to the bars,,, and most likely cost less than the Heli's,,,, :icon_wink:

These folks can pretty much park ya anywhere you want to be: www.day-long.com

Jimmytee
08-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Just got back from ride n I've pain left side in my neck. I still have stock shield. So not sure if it is due to wind beating me or I need more pullback of handle bars.

Looking at risers. U think that will help ?

How about helibars. How much pullback or rise do they hve. From the pics on their web page I cannot tell any difference. They really r pricey.

Hey there neighbor :clap2: I've got the Kury riser kit and they seem to be just right for now. I say for now because I do plan to replace the stock seat with an Ultimate and that may change . If so, I may opt for the Heli Bars. But $60 is a lot cheaper than the Heli Bars and I though worth the try. So far so Good.:yes:

I have the Bagger Shield on mine and at my height of 5' 8" I find it just right, and of course if I choose, I can install the clear portion that raises the height.

I rode 500 miles this past Saturday, and I was pretty good. I do have the Kury Ergo IIIs on my F6B which for me work great. My main lacking area is the back support. I have Ultimate King seats on my Valkyrie with back rests and it is very comfortable. During the Saturday ride, I missed having that support I get when I lean back on the Valkyrie.

Where did you buy your bike from? I just got mine in July from Dan Powers Honda Motorsports here in Elizabethtown.

CoCoKola
08-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I do have the Kury Ergo IIIs on my F6B which for me work great.

confused as to what to order to get back ergo IIIs.. and if they are worth the extra over the IIs.. thoughts?

Jimmytee
08-21-2014, 04:18 PM
confused as to what to order to get back ergo IIIs.. and if they are worth the extra over the IIs.. thoughts?

I like them. I chose the CHrome ones though. I was on the fence back and forth, but went with the chrome. I'm not trying to go for the no chrome look, but trying not to cross some line that takes away from the F6B look either. I've got the Honda chrome rotor covers and with the chrome strip on the engine and the exhaust, I thought the chrome looked right in it's place. Kind of follows the lines.

The Ergo IIIs have the spring mechanism that allows them to move downward when your feet are on them and then spring back up when your feet are off of them. This allows you to have your feet in what some would call a more natural extension of your legs rather than up higher. When the going gets twisty or more aggressive, you can put your feet back on the regular pegs and the Ergo IIIs raise up on their own to be out of the way of pavement.

I have Ergo something or other on my Valkyrie. They are nice but fixed at whatever position you put them in. My feet sit much higher with those. More like the stirrup effect you hear mentioned. I've always found them pretty comfortable. For me, If I wasn't going to go with the Ergo IIIs, I might have tried the Rivco Aero pegs. I liked the idea of the spring mechanism and I wasn't sure about the skinny pegs on the Aeros. Plus, The Aeros only adjust front to back.

It's all in what you want. I don't think you'd be unhappy with the Ergo IIs IMHO. I just wanted to try this new product. SO far I'm pretty satisfied.

Bruce B
08-21-2014, 04:57 PM
As has been mentioned in the forum many times, it's best to get any seat changes done before spending a lot of money on other mods. Seats vary in what they will do for your riding position. Some can be made to your specs within reason. I am very happy with my Rick Mayer seat. Also very happy with the Madstad windshield, Rivco pegs, Kury risers, and Kury mini-boards (which drop the foot position 3/4 of an inch). I'm 5'10 with a 30 inch inseam. But bear in mind, all these mods fit around the seating position of the Rick Mayer seat that was built for me. Same principle holds true with any other seat.

CoCoKola
08-21-2014, 06:48 PM
I like them. I chose the CHrome ones though. I was on the fence back and forth, but went with the chrome. I'm not trying to go for the no chrome look, but trying not to cross some line that takes away from the F6B look either. I've got the Honda chrome rotor covers and with the chrome strip on the engine and the exhaust, I thought the chrome looked right in it's place. Kind of follows the lines.

The Ergo IIIs have the spring mechanism that allows them to move downward when your feet are on them and then spring back up when your feet are off of them. This allows you to have your feet in what some would call a more natural extension of your legs rather than up higher. When the going gets twisty or more aggressive, you can put your feet back on the regular pegs and the Ergo IIIs raise up on their own to be out of the way of pavement.

I have Ergo something or other on my Valkyrie. They are nice but fixed at whatever position you put them in. My feet sit much higher with those. More like the stirrup effect you hear mentioned. I've always found them pretty comfortable. For me, If I wasn't going to go with the Ergo IIIs, I might have tried the Rivco Aero pegs. I liked the idea of the spring mechanism and I wasn't sure about the skinny pegs on the Aeros. Plus, The Aeros only adjust front to back.

It's all in what you want. I don't think you'd be unhappy with the Ergo IIs IMHO. I just wanted to try this new product. SO far I'm pretty satisfied.

Thank you so much for your reply, your mentioning the larger area for your foot just helped me decide.. Thanks everyone, I live this forum and the great group Here!

timjoebob
08-22-2014, 05:44 PM
My pain is in my right shoulder. After 18 days on the road during my trip out west, my shoulder, back, elbow and wrist were all aching.

I just order Helibars.

They're expensive. I'd start with less expensive risers first: Kury or MCL (currently on my bike).