PDA

View Full Version : Just placed an order

wantone
08-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Can't wait for all these things to go on the bike. I ordered all black kuryakyn ergo iii pegs, madstad 11" clear, GPS mount, 12v socket. Wish honda had cruise on this bike. I wud be in heaven. Anyways now looking for some cruise option. I know I'll get the rostra electric one. But that will be a winter project. For now something else will do.

1. Where can I get the longer version of Aux cable that is in the left glove box ? I plan to put GPS at the clutch assembly and that wire is not long enough. I intend to run that Aux cable to feed in my GPS so I can hear the directions on the bike audio.

2. Are the ergo iii pegs safe ? I mean I don"t want to limit the lean angle of the bike in the curves. I like the rivco pegs but I'm really short and don't think I'll reach it.

Thanks

jimsol1
08-21-2014, 02:02 PM
just buy a headphone extension cord, not bike specific, for normal headsets like for use on ipod/mp3 players. Walmart or radioshack, It will be male on one end and female on the other. Jim

Hornblower
08-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Where can I get the longer version of Aux cable that is in the left glove box ? I plan to put GPS at the clutch assembly and that wire is not long enough. I intend to run that Aux cable to feed in my GPS so I can hear the directions on the bike audio.

Pretty sure that's just a standard 3.5mm audio plug. You can buy an extension cable for that just about anywhere. Check out local electronics stores or order from eBay. I see a 6' on eBay for a little over $3 with free shipping.

CarolinaRider
08-21-2014, 02:14 PM
2. Are the ergo iii pegs safe ? I mean I don"t want to limit the lean angle of the bike in the curves. I like the rivco pegs but I'm really short and don't think I'll reach it.

Thanks

78047805[/QUOTE]

I have not found any limit with the ERGO III's. I have scraped but with the play these allow all is fine.

XKnight
08-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Can't wait for all these things to go on the bike. I ordered all black kuryakyn ergo iii pegs, madstad 11" clear, GPS mount, 12v socket. Wish honda had cruise on this bike. I wud be in heaven. Anyways now looking for some cruise option. I know I'll get the rostra electric one. But that will be a winter project. For now something else will do.

Go Cruise is the cheapest way to go and works well, especially the new aluminum version.

Throttlemeister is also a popular option. There are other similar throttle lock devices out there too.

Injun Joe
08-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Go Cruise is the cheapest way to go and works well, especially the new aluminum version.

Throttlemeister is also a popular option. There are other similar throttle lock devices out there too.

Awesome to learn about Throttlemeister! I had it on a BMW years ago and loved it.

jkelley
08-22-2014, 06:03 AM

Thanks

I have not found any limit with the ERGO III's. I have scraped but with the play these allow all is fine.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem!

bigbird
08-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Wish honda had cruise on this bike. I wud be in heaven. Anyways now looking for some cruise option.

I've tried many throttle locks, starting with those cheap rubber friction jobs, next to Throttlemeister, and finally Brakeaway. By far the safest and easiest to use is the Brakeaway. Pricey, but well worth it.

http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/movies/Brakeaway_sm.wmv

Injun Joe
08-22-2014, 10:58 AM
I've tried many throttle locks, starting with those cheap rubber friction jobs, next to Throttlemeister, and finally Brakeaway. By far the safest and easiest to use is the Brakeaway. Pricey, but well worth it.

Bummer! Looks like it won't work with heated grips.

hiflyer
08-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Bummer! Looks like it won't work with heated grips.

Yes it will.

Massroll
08-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Yes it will.

Their web site says it doesn't work with heated grips. You find a way to make it work? :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
08-22-2014, 04:57 PM
It can be done.

I don't have the B-way, and I don't remember the specifics, but it wasn't very difficult,,,

XKnight
08-22-2014, 07:44 PM

Brakeaway price is comparable with Throttlemeister as long as you do your own install.

Scotrod
08-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Yes it will.

HiFly,

Do you remember what was involved with 'making it work'?

Wasn't it something like tying a grip wire back or some other small thing????

I think it's "Not recommended w/heated grips" as there is a fear of getting the grip wire hung up in the brake release linkage in some situations. :shrug:

srt8-in-largo
08-23-2014, 12:24 AM

Disagree; I don't think the Go Cruise works well at all. It's barely better than nothing IMO.

XKnight
08-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Disagree; I don't think the Go Cruise works well at all. It's barely better than nothing IMO.

My experience has been different than yours. I've had both the older plastic Go Cruise which worked okay, but had quite a bit of slippage so could only be used for short spurts without constant adjustment. I now have the newer aluminum version of the Go Cruise and it works great by actually locking the throttle in place with minimal adjustment. You still can't really use it for extended periods because it will slip eventually, but for my needs I just want to rest my hand for a minute or two and it's perfect for that especially for around $30.

Have you tried the Aluminum Go Cruise or just the older plastic version?

srt8-in-largo
08-23-2014, 04:47 PM
I have the new aluminum Go Cruise. It's very difficult to set a precise speed. Very. When you finally get it tweaked to the speed you want, it starts slipping immediately. I've adjusted the tension using the new tension wheel to the point of tightness that it's very hard to move, and it still won't hold the speed for more than 20 or 30 seconds.

This thing is really nothing more than a gimmick; not worth half the price IMO.

Jimmytee
08-23-2014, 05:07 PM
I've got the Brake -Away on my Valkyrie and it works great. It looks good on the Valkyrie. However, on my F6B, not sure I want the bare aluminum color up there and the Throttlemeister looks nice and am thinking that is the way to go. I could be wrong, but I like the looks of the matching machined end weights.

BIGLRY
08-23-2014, 05:20 PM
I have the new aluminum Go Cruise. It's very difficult to set a precise speed. Very. When you finally get it tweaked to the speed you want, it starts slipping immediately. I've adjusted the tension using the new tension wheel to the point of tightness that it's very hard to move, and it still won't hold the speed for more than 20 or 30 seconds.

This thing is really nothing more than a gimmick; not worth half the price IMO.:tapfing: just curious are you using the Go Cruise on the OEM stock grips? I have it on the Kuryakyn grips with the small supplied band and it works just fine I have not tried it with the stock grips.
I have found on straightaways it holds just fine and I can accelerate to pass then when I let off, the throttle drops right back to where the Go Cruise was set with no slippage at all, in fact my has never slipped from anywhere I've set it. I'm also able to set mine with one finger and gloves on. I did add an O-ring to each side to cut down the lateral movement. For what I wanted it for....relax hand for a few min, zip up/down jacket, I love it.:icon_biggrin:

XKnight
08-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Not sure what to tell you other than I just came back from a 2 hour ride and used the aluminum Go Cruise multiple times on the ride and it held speed just fine after I got it set properly. I rarely use it for more than a minute or so though. Works great for my purposes, but obviously it's not for everyone. If someone is looking for a cruise that they can set and forget for minutes on end than there are definitely better options that will hold speed for longer lengths of time.

bob109
08-23-2014, 05:43 PM

Remove the Go Cruise! Dampen a paper towel with some Rubbing Alcohol and throughly clean the rubber band and contact jaws of the GC. The slightest bit of oil from your hands will cause the GC to slip as you have described. Don't ask me how I know:icon_doh:
Like BigLarry, I installed Nitril O-rings to each side of the GC jaws which effectively removed all lateral movement. When working properly you'll have a better appreciation of this simple device:icon_wink:

Here's my original Thread with pics!
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?240-Go-Cruise-Improvement-Tip

srt8-in-largo
08-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Yes I'm using it with the stock grips. I'll try cleaning the contact points... re-check the seating location and tension... and see if I can get it to work better. Thanks.

BIGLRY
08-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Here is the cheapest place I could find for the two yellow O-rings I put on the sides of my Go Cruise to stop any lateral movement. They cost me $2.58 for two and $2.32 for USPS first class shipping to Calif, total $4.90.
http://www.tornadoparts.com/8m4991-yellow-caterpillar-cat-silicone-o-ring-can-be-used-as-motorcycle-throttle-lock/

srt8-in-largo
08-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Here is the cheapest place I could find for the two yellow O-rings I put on the sides of my Go Cruise to stop any lateral movement. They cost me $2.58 for two and $2.32 for USPS first class shipping to Calif, total $4.90.
http://www.tornadoparts.com/8m4991-yellow-caterpillar-cat-silicone-o-ring-can-be-used-as-motorcycle-throttle-lock/

Thanks! I'll give this a shot... hopefully my opinion will change.

Injun Joe
08-24-2014, 10:45 AM
I've got the Brake -Away on my Valkyrie and it works great. It looks good on the Valkyrie. However, on my F6B, not sure I want the bare aluminum color up there and the Throttlemeister looks nice and am thinking that is the way to go. I could be wrong, but I like the looks of the matching machined end weights.

Like so many, this thread makes me realize we're all looking for something different which of course leads to different solutions. Looks wise, I'm confident the Throttlemeister will be great -- perfect for me in fact if I go with the blackened versions. But I don't remember being able to set "precise" speeds with it. Wasn't something I was concerned about. Neither was I looking for long distance hold -- more just looking to shake out my hand and it lasted WAY longer than that. The other thing it does is smooth out the vibration of a bike that doesn't have bar end weights. But since our F6B does and vibration isn't a big issue to begin with, I don't know that this will be of great benefit on our bikes.

I don't think I'll object to the look of the Brakeaway if I can get it to work, but I think the Throttlemeister would look better.

Jimmytee
08-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Like so many, this thread makes me realize we're all looking for something different which of course leads to different solutions. Looks wise, I'm confident the Throttlemeister will be great -- perfect for me in fact if I go with the blackened versions. But I don't remember being able to set "precise" speeds with it. Wasn't something I was concerned about. Neither was I looking for long distance hold -- more just looking to shake out my hand and it lasted WAY longer than that. The other thing it does is smooth out the vibration of a bike that doesn't have bar end weights. But since our F6B does and vibration isn't a big issue to begin with, I don't know that this will be of great benefit on our bikes.

I don't think I'll object to the look of the Brakeaway if I can get it to work, but I think the Throttlemeister would look better.

I don't know about exact speed, my understanding, that like the Brake-Away, you can fine tune the throttle position. I , in fact, seldom use the Brake-Away throttle lock with the throttle boss on the Valkyrie. I've got the Throttle assist on the F6B that straps on the stock grips. It seems to be working similarly to the Throttle Boss on the Kury Grips. I only really seem to use it when I need my right hand for something.