PDA

View Full Version : cross country

moorege
06-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone, one question, did anyone consider purchasing a Victory cross country (bagger) before they got their F6B??? Just curious

Alberta Beagle
06-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Nope. Not even on the short list. Would have bought an HD before the Victory.

Steve 0080
06-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Nope....only in a nightmare!!!

Memphian
06-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Never! I'm a Honda guy.:icon_biggrin:

SpeedyWho
06-15-2013, 11:20 PM
I looked at them, but thats about it. I'm not a Vtwin guy anway

chipmaker
06-15-2013, 11:49 PM
It was between Victory CCT and F6B for me. Coming off a Harley, I wanted something different. My wife loves the Victory seat. I would buy the Vic before another Harley, I've had 3. I trade bikes fairly often, next bike prolly will be Vic CCT. Love the removable trunk. Life is too short, and there are too many good bikes out there.

jlig
06-16-2013, 12:54 AM
I had narrowed my choice to the Victory Cross Country and the F6B based on the bike's style (baggers) and specs. I chose a dealer that had both available and worked out most of the deal arrangements before I test rode. When it came time to test ride I took out a 2012 Victory first since the F6B needed to have battery and fluids serviced before a test ride. When I took the Victory out it only took about 2 miles before I realized I did NOT want the Victory. What I found that were negatives for me were mostly the feel of the V-Twin engine. I've had other V-Twins (actually was trading in a Road Star at the time), but the Victory just felt like it was a 'Chugger' (don't know how else to describe it). I just didn't like the feel. I also felt there was a lot of drive-lash in the drive train. Quick accelerate and let off and Quick accelerate again and I could feel a lot of play in the drive train. The transmission was a bit 'Klunky' to me also (especially 1st gear). I also felt the brakes were 'soft' feeling. They worked well enough, but just did not have a crisp feeling to me. In the Victory's favor it did handle well even at parking lot speeds, especially compared to our long wheel based F6B. The other positives were the standard equipment of the Victory that the F6B is lacking. Cruise Control, Anti-Lock brakes, 6th gear and a few other items.

Given all that, After 2 miles I turned around and went back to the dealership and had made my decision that the Victory was NOT for me. I finalized the deal on the F6B without even test riding it. (I had previously owned a GL1800 so I knew somewhat what it was going to ride like). Once I finished the paperwork and rode the F6B home I was pleasantly surprised in how much better the F6B was than my memory from my old (2004) Goldwing. For those of us that like Honda's flat 6 there is nothing else like the feel of that engine. Combined with Honda's refinement of the rest of the Goldwing line and you've got a combination that's hard to beat. I honestly don't think the Victory is in the same class when it comes to rideability and refinement. The only other possibility in my mind might be BMW, but I haven't ridden one in quite a few years. For me I realized I just like the 'feel' of the flat six engine and the well refined running gear, braking system and handling characteristics of the goldwings. I also was a former Valkyrie owner (1998 Tourer) which was my favorite bike of all time (F6B is gaining ground, however) and the F6B is probably about as close as we're going to come to a re-incarnation of that bike.

Two things I love about the F6B are its 'simplicity' (I like no cruise, no reverse, etc.) and the styling as a 'Bagger'. When I had my Goldwing it always seemed a waste to have a Top box and 'throne' seat behind me when I'm a single rider. Rarely, if ever do I have a passenger. I'm Very Happy with the F6B.:icon_biggrin:

Darkknight
06-16-2013, 05:44 AM
My short list was the Victory XCT, the BMW 1600GTL and F6B.
The BMW was very powerful and loaded with technology. The down side was consumer report said BMW was the motorcycle with most reported defects or problems followed by Harley then Honda. I found this to be surprising. The clincher for removing BMW from my short list that their dealer network was sparse in this area.

The Victory and the F6B were very close for me. In the end the proven durability of the Honda, smooth power and the looks. The Victory line has more sweepy lines and either you like that or you don't. I also resist the "gotta have an American V-twin" to be a real motorcycle" theory.

The Honda grabbed me, shook me and slapped me in the face. The first time I saw it I was in love. 850 lbs of WAAY COOL!
My Yamaha Royalstar classic (my baby) was going up for sale. I hold on to vehicles a long time. The Yamaha was pristine and 16 years old. I knew this Honda was going to be mine almost at first sight, and 2 days later I was driving it away. The other two bikes were sanity checks. I really try to research most big ticket items I buy. The amount of dealers in the US, the performance, history of durability were the things that made this seem like a sane choice for me.

Time will tell, but so far....:icon_lol:

fast eddie
06-16-2013, 05:19 PM
checked out the cross country an almost got the denim red 1 beautiful bike :icon_rolleyes: but was on the victory forum some issues with reliability little things but just enough to keep me on a honda:bowdown:. Not disappointed with my decission i usually keep a bike for 8 to 10 yrs ( ok im old at least my kids say so:rant:) so i know the f6b will be good to me like all my other honds ( cl's xr's valkryie vtx ) team red for me:clap2:.

Mustangjake
06-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Yes but My sanity came back:icon_cool:

ddoug
06-17-2013, 02:48 PM
My wife has had both knees and hips replaced. We have been riding a Kawasaki Nomad for the last 7 years. Wanting something new and better for her comfort ,and something maybe easier to mount and dismount ; we tried all the touring bikes. The Vic Cross Country was in the picture ,but she wasn't all that impressed. The F6B was the last bike we looked at. Wow , she had a much easier time getting on ; and could dismount side saddle style. That sold her! End of story!

KGREEN
06-17-2013, 03:12 PM
I had a 2011 Victory Vision. I had nothing but problems out of it. ABS module, rear shock are the problems I had and it seemed the warranty never covered anything. Even though I had a 5 year warranty. Victory does not stand behind its product and the dealerships are a bad joke. I now own a F6B and I will never own another Victory motorcycle again.

FlaMike
06-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Well I currently have a Victory Cross Roads (windshield/hardbags only), which is in the shop for a new starter. Bike has 5k miles. I know stuff happens but this is the first bike of the 20+ that I've owned that just about stranded me on a trip. I knew about the small dealer network thing (also had BMW's, same deal) but this really drove it home for me. It took my local dealer over a week to get part and install it. Took an F6B on a long demo this past Sat and I don't see the Vic being around my garage much longer. I think Vic makes a great bike but have doubts about their quality control. :cus:

micky_foccer
06-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Good info here. Thanks for posting comments all. What I gleaned from this is to never consider buying a Victory.

buefchris
06-18-2013, 09:39 AM
I rode the Vision and felt very comforable, lots of power but, just could not warm-up to the "Buck Rodgers" design. The Cross tour [or what ever it's called] didn't feel as good as the F6B.
\Never had intentions on buying a motorcycle, nothing out thier really grabbed me like the Honda.

Limbuck
06-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Well, I got both now. Different bikes for different moods I reckon. My Vic is 2010 and I dumped an e-glide for it. More stretch out for rider and passenger. I like the 6 spd for sure. I'm always looking for that 6th gear on the F6B. Got D&D's on the Vic and I like the sound. Big, easy access bags. No issues with mine. I got the F6B before ever riding one. It just looks so cool and I had many Hondas many years ago. I tell friends that the F6B is the crotch rocket for men of aggressive maturity. It handles so dang good that I have to talk myself down before I get into trouble. I put the adjustable Baggershield and rider mini boards on it and definitely like it much more now. I like both my bikes.