PDA

View Full Version : Fork Brace?

XKnight
08-24-2014, 10:47 AM
I've been looking at buying a fork brace based on all the positive recommendations on this forum. Superbrace, Traxxion and Kuryakyn all look like contenders. In trying to decide on which fork brace to buy I came across this information on the Traxxion sight and it leaves me puzzled as to what they are referring too (see bold text below)? Can anyone provide clarification? Are they saying that these problems can occur without a fork brace installed or with a fork brace installed? Are they referring to a competitors fork brace or their own? I plan on emailing Traxxion as well.

The Traxxion Dynamics GL1800 Fork Brace is designed and manufactured to increase the rigidity of the steeering of the GL1800 without creating any additional stiction in the forks. Our fork brace is designed with special slotted centering holes so it impossible to put the forks into a bind when installed properly. With a common two-piece design, it is impossible to allow for machining and assembly tolerances which can lead to very high levels of stiction, poor suspension feel, worn bushings, and premature fork seal leaks. You will have less flex at parking lot speeds and additional stability on the highway.

Steve 0080
08-24-2014, 10:55 AM
IMHO.... the are all the same/different..... I have the Kury and am happy with it....I also have Progressive Suspension that lowered the front by 1+ ".....I would buy the one you could get a deal on...of course mine is CHROME!!!!

XKnight
08-24-2014, 10:59 AM
IMHO.... the are all the same/different..... I have the Kury and am happy with it....I also have Progressive Suspension that lowered the front by 1+ ".....I would buy the one you could get a deal on...of course mine is CHROME!!!!

I would normally agree and go with the best deal since they all seem similar, but after reading the quote from Traxxion I have to wonder if all fork braces are actually created equal. I certainly don't want to put on a fork brace and then have high levels of stiction, poor suspension feel, worn bushings, and premature fork seal leaks. I did send Traxxion a message requesting clarification so will see what they say.

kcmike
08-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Our fork brace is designed with special slotted centering holes so it impossible to put the forks into a bind when installed properly. With a common two-piece design, it is impossible to allow for machining and assembly tolerances which can lead to very high levels of stiction, poor suspension feel, worn bushings, and premature fork seal leaks. You will have less flex at parking lot speeds and additional stability on the highway.

It sounds like they are distinguishing their brace from "a common two-piece design," by emphasizing that with their "special slotted centering holes" you eliminate the risk of "binding" the fork tubes if installed properly. They then go on to describe the "horrors (marketing)" of binding the tubes by using one of those inferior "common two-piece designs." Just my interpretation.

Scotrod
08-24-2014, 05:42 PM
None of 'em are idiot proof. If you want to be 100% positive you'll 'avoid the horrors,,,' don't put one on.

(Wife and I both run Kury's)

opas ride
08-24-2014, 06:09 PM
I doubt that these "fork braces" really help or do much for the F6B in normal riding with one up..Nothing wrong with spending the money if one feels the need for such...Aftermarket accessories for bikes is a $Billions of dollars business and if these braces float your boat, so to speak, then add one and feel better about your bikes handling and ride....I still maintain that these are okay for some, but just another product to get your money!!!

XKnight
08-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Our fork brace is designed with special slotted centering holes so it impossible to put the forks into a bind when installed properly. With a common two-piece design, it is impossible to allow for machining and assembly tolerances which can lead to very high levels of stiction, poor suspension feel, worn bushings, and premature fork seal leaks. You will have less flex at parking lot speeds and additional stability on the highway.

It sounds like they are distinguishing their brace from "a common two-piece design," by emphasizing that with their "special slotted centering holes" you eliminate the risk of "binding" the fork tubes if installed properly. They then go on to describe the "horrors (marketing)" of binding the tubes by using one of those inferior "common two-piece designs." Just my interpretation.

That's my interpretation as well. However there is a big difference between simply saying one product is better versus saying the competitors product is so inferior that it might cause very high levels of stiction, poor suspension feel, worn bushings, and premature fork seal leaks. If you're going to slam the competitor you should also offer proof that these issues have actually happened.

motozeke
08-24-2014, 08:15 PM
I doubt that these "fork braces" really help or do much for the F6B in normal riding with one up..Nothing wrong with spending the money if one feels the need for such...Aftermarket accessories for bikes is a $Billions of dollars business and if these braces float your boat, so to speak, then add one and feel better about your bikes handling and ride....I still maintain that these are okay for some, but just another product to get your money!!!

I ride 1-up, and the improvement to front end firmness and feel after installing my Superbrace was distinct and welcome. Worth the investment. Given that all our bikes are built to the same spec, hard to imagine all these users being wrong about the value of a fork brace. In fact, on my first freeway ride I was a bit alarmed at how much flex I could feel in the handlebars at speed. The fork brace eliminated that as an issue.

This is a legitimate, performance enhancing product. Unlike, let's say, chrome and LED accent lights.

RcBtx1999
08-24-2014, 08:34 PM
I rode a 2008 GL 1800cc as a Police bike. And yes, it had the wobble, it was dangerous and troubling. I have not noticed it at all on the 2013 F6B, has anyone else? I would buy a fork brace if I thought I needed it but I do not see the need for it. I did buy a new Mustang seat, the drop in the center of gravity and the difference in handling is enormous. I was easily managing 60-70 mph twisties in the Texas Hill Country where the indicated speeds were 30mph and lower. I'm a longtime rider, but love to get good advice from informed folks. Someone tell me the reasons you have put the fork brace on your F6B.
:stirthepot:

Phantom
08-24-2014, 09:08 PM

Have you ridden a F6B or Goldwing with the brace installed?
How do you qualify the above broad statement?

Scotrod
08-24-2014, 09:12 PM
I rode a 2008 GL 1800cc as a Police bike. And yes, it had the wobble, it was dangerous and troubling. I have not noticed it at all on the 2013 F6B, has anyone else? I would buy a fork brace if I thought I needed it but I do not see the need for it. I did buy a new Mustang seat, the drop in the center of gravity and the difference in handling is enormous. I was easily managing 60-70 mph twisties in the Texas Hill Country where the indicated speeds were 30mph and lower. I'm a longtime rider, but love to get good advice from informed folks. Someone tell me the reasons you have put the fork brace on your F6B.
:stirthepot:

I have wobble at 40.. Only w/no hands on the bars,,,

Kury brace. About 12.5k on front rubber,,, sneaking up on replacement,,,

Steve 0080
08-24-2014, 09:14 PM
I would normally agree and go with the best deal since they all seem similar, but after reading the quote from Traxxion I have to wonder if all fork braces are actually created equal. I certainly don't want to put on a fork brace and then have high levels of stiction, poor suspension feel, worn bushings, and premature fork seal leaks. I did send Traxxion a message requesting clarification so will see what they say.

There is not a vendor out there that will say their widget is second best......I said it a plain as could be,... there are all the same and different. Traxxion makes an excellent product, if you can afford it...still won't say it is better than another.....thats what makes the world turn!!!

opas ride
08-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Have you ridden a F6B or Goldwing with the brace installed?
How do you qualify the above broad statement?

Not trying to qualify anything....If you feel the need for a brace on your ride then by all means install it and enjoy.I personally do not see, or feel, the need to spend $200 dollars on something I do not want or need...Yes, I may change my mind one day, but there is not enough evidence from those who have one to convince me it is worth it for my style of riding...Regards....

Phantom
08-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Not trying to qualify anything....If you feel the need for a brace on your ride then by all means install it and enjoy.I personally do not see, or feel, the need to spend $200 dollars on something I do not want or need...Yes, I may change my mind one day, but there is not enough evidence from those who have one to convince me it is worth it for my style of riding...Regards....

Opas,

You clearly posted your opinion earlier based on NO FACTS, just because you "doubt" that it helps ... is simply a irresponsible reply, it helps no one. Slamming a product without actual knowledge or experience is just as valuable as a odorless FART. Then you contradict yourself by saying ...."I still maintain that these are okay for some"

It's NOT the issue of the $200 like it is for you, it's the stability and rigidity for most.

Your quote .... "Yes, I may change my mind one day"

You made up your mind based on zero experience, keep an open mind UNTIL you ride a F6B with one installed then post your HONEST opinion. Don't knock it until you try it.

I personally have an issue when people making NEGATIVE posts based on their "so called expertise / gut feeling" on a product .... have ZERO Expertise with the actual product ------> .nothing.to.sdd. I guess I'm just a stickler for actual reviews and not guess-timates.

Respectfully Phantom

Scotrod
08-25-2014, 08:18 AM
That's why just the addition of a few words/qualifier like 'unclear, but I feel' or "I don't own one, but think' can really keep the discussion in order.

Even if it's 2nd hand info from a 100% trusted source, best to throw it out there as such.

Pretty easy to assume folks who are commenting on something have it. If not, a few words to that effect are helpful to the folks who are ready to click 'buy' but still on the fence.

I can't say the braces have truly 'transformed' our bikes, but I can understand how they work, so we have them.

Hornblower
08-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Not to single out anyone in particular, but I'm with Phantom on this one. It really irks me when someone takes issue with something and they have no first-hand experience to base it on. This happens frequently with the darkside subject. Almost always, the folks that reject that have no experience themselves. As far as I'm concerned, this should disqualify them from commenting at all. It's no different than someone saying, "If God wanted us to fly, He would have given us wings". Of course, similar comments I've read on this board are more along the lines of, " If Honda made it this way, who are we to change it". If possible, can we all try to make real world judgements, on what works or doesn't work, based on facts and not assumptions. That would be nice :stirthepot:.

opas ride
08-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Assuming that you guys are done " flaming me" I am sorry if I upset you....No I don't have any first hand experience with fork braces and do not intend to at this point...But until I am convinced that this brace is necessary to have on the F6B to improve handling or whatever, I will not install it...I did not find fault , in any way, with any style/type of anyone's product and did not suggest not to use one...I just do not feel the need and if those that have one are happy, so am I.....I again apologize to those that took exception to my post, and I appreciate your input.....Ride safe.....

XKnight
08-25-2014, 03:47 PM
I decided to order the new version of the Kuryakyn fork brace in the black finish. Found it for around $150 delivered which is the best price I could find for any fork brace. I decided to heed Traxxion's warning and not buy a two piece brace while also not buying their version.

edgeman55
08-25-2014, 05:53 PM
There is not a vendor out there that will say their widget is second best......I said it a plain as could be,... there are all the same and different. Traxxion makes an excellent product, if you can afford it...still won't say it is better than another.....thats what makes the world turn!!!

Well said Steve.Here's my two cents worth I installed the dreaded two piece Superbrace against Traxxion's advice.It has preformed great-no binding when installed per there instructions.I go 380lbs and found with my big old body on the Bike it made the front end much tighter at slow speeds and more solid in the high speed sweepers.Was well worth the investment to me.:yes:

XKnight
08-25-2014, 06:07 PM
I did some searching on the Goldwing forums and had no idea how controversial a simply fork brace could be. Apparently it has been a point of contention for many years with 1800 Goldwing owners. Some swear by fork braces and others claim they are snake oil. Some claim noticeable differences in handling while others claim they notice no difference whatsoever. Some say installing a fork brace will void your Honda warranty for anything fork related, like fork seals leaking, etc. I had no idea what a can worms I was opening. Carry on!

Steve 0080
08-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Come on now...that how bike forums work....nany nany boo hoo........

I will say this and this is not meant to offend.... there are people who can "RIDE" a bike and feel everything it is doing and how.....there are folks who ride for the pleasure of riding and have no ideal if they are running out of gas or have a flat tire.....just different people/riders.....

opas ride
08-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Ain't living in the USA great!!!...Freedom of choice and opinions in most cases...Too each his own as they say!!

BIGLRY
08-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Ain't living in the USA great!!!...Freedom of choice and opinions in most cases...Too each his own as they say!!
.score10/10:agree:

XKnight
08-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Come on now...that how bike forums work....nany nany boo hoo........

I will say this and this is not meant to offend.... there are people who can "RIDE" a bike and feel everything it is doing and how.....there are folks who ride for the pleasure of riding and have no ideal if they are running out of gas or have a flat tire.....just different people/riders.....

No doubt on all counts. However, this board is very tame compared to some of the other bike forums. I mean the threads on the GW forum about fork braces get real heated to the point of all out anarchy.

opas ride
08-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Just want to add one more comment based on the last post above..If these "fork braces" are supposedly the greatest thing since sliced bread, why all the controversy? Many GW riders with thousands of miles have no use or need for them, others claim they are the answer to solve their problems...Curious at best, kind of sounds like heated oil opinions/threads...I'm done now on this issue...Ride safe and enjoy the rally!!!

XKnight
09-04-2014, 05:09 PM
I installed my black Kury Gen.2 fork brace today. Very easy install and based on the quick test ride I took I believe the brace definitely makes the bike feel more stable in slow speed maneuvers. Did a bunch of close quarter U-turns and the bike felt better than ever. It's rock solid now compared to before when I could feel more movement/wiggle up front. Can't speak for high speed stability yet since I only road around my neighborhood at no more than 45 MPH to test the fork brace and make sure nothing was binding.

SCMike
09-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Everyone gets to have an opinion, and everyone gets to decide how much they'll value each opinion. I know very little about fork braces, but I just ordered a SuperBrace and will try it on my bike, because Firetech told me at the rally it's made a real difference in his bike, and I trust his opinion. We all get to spout off, and we all get to choose how much attention to pay to the spouting.

srt8-in-largo
09-04-2014, 09:00 PM
I plan to try the fork brace after 10k miles or so.

RickW
09-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Everyone gets to have an opinion, and everyone gets to decide how much they'll value each opinion. I know very little about fork braces, but I just ordered a SuperBrace and will try it on my bike, because Firetech told me at the rally it's made a real difference in his bike, and I trust his opinion. We all get to spout off, and we all get to choose how much attention to pay to the spouting.
I am not sure either. We have a lot of customers that have purchased the Kuryakyn Fork Braces from us and all have positive feedback.
I decided to put one on my bike after I got back the other day from the Rally in Franklin. Have not ridden enough on it yet to have any opinion one way or the other yet. It sure looks a lot better on there compared to the black plastic though.

motozeke
09-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Opposed to fork braces? Don't get gay married. Or wait, something like that. Whatever. :icon_lol:

SuperBrace
10-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, seems there are plenty of skeptics in this thread. If you're one of them, we welcome you to enter our contest for a free brace, the odds are 100% at this point, so why not..? If you win, you can try it out for free; we'd love it if you posted the results.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4116-SuperBrace-Odometer-Poker-Contest

Jimmytee
10-27-2014, 05:31 PM
I've contemplated a fork brace, but it is not on my priority list of add ons. I recently forked( no pun intended):icon_rolleyes: over the money to buy the Heli Bars. I can say this, that besides the comfort gained, my handle bars feel taught and firm as they should be. I recently got to give them a thorough work out on a trip through NC and the mountains. After some high spirited twisty riding, I am very pleased. I don't know if the fork brace would add any appreciable difference now or not. I do like riding pretty aggressive.

JohnnyF6B
10-27-2014, 07:08 PM
I don't have enough seat time on the FB6. Seems stable from the couple hundred km Ive ridden.
If a $200 brace can save me from a potential crash, Im in.
& yes, Im sure Honda test rode this bike 1000s of miles before putting it on the market. So in theory, they are good, right :yikes:

Stress
10-27-2014, 07:50 PM
I decided to order the new version of the Kuryakyn fork brace in the black finish. Found it for around $150 delivered which is the best price I could find for any fork brace. I decided to heed Traxxion's warning and not buy a two piece brace while also not buying their version.

Where id you find this good price at if you don't mind me asking?

Random Factor
10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
I've contemplated a fork brace, but it is not on my priority list of add ons. I recently forked( no pun intended):icon_rolleyes: over the money to buy the Heli Bars. I can say this, that besides the comfort gained, my handle bars feel taught and firm as they should be. I recently got to give them a thorough work out on a trip through NC and the mountains. After some high spirited twisty riding, I am very pleased. I don't know if the fork brace would add any appreciable difference now or not. I do like riding pretty aggressive.

I'm with ya on the heli-bars! I put a Kury fork brace on at the same time as I did the heli-bar install so I can't say how much is the bars and how much is the brace but with both the improvement in handling is substantial. Different bike, really.

It's a Sportwing!
(heard that on another thread and have decided to use it)

pvmarcon
10-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Did not purchase a brace yet. Haven't noticed the need for one, find the bike very stable at speed. Chased down a fast kid on a 750 cc crotch rocket yesterday on high speed romp on a very twisty road well known Westchester County road, on his tail the whole time and went around him on the outside at one point. But I'm a very experienced sport bike rider and ride the F6b the same way I ride my ZX12R. Very, very Impressed with the handling of the F6b, UNBELIEVEABLE is a better word for a bike as big and heavy as it is. Only thing lacking, for me anyway, is not enough power and not having a sixth gear. The kid was amazed that I was riding a Goldwing, his words not mine, LOL. Told him had I been on my 12R I would have been around him and gone three miles back LOL. Love the F6b yesterday was first time I really pushed it to the limit since I got it two weeks ago. Great bike, a true sport tourer ! Glad my wife wasn't on the back, she freaks if I go Over 60mph.

srt8-in-largo
10-27-2014, 10:51 PM

Only thing lacking, for me anyway, is not enough power

Contact George Parker ( gl1800turbotech@shaw.ca )... $9,000 for a Garrett T-28 single turbo kit installed. I think he'll need your bike at his shop for the work.

I can't say what tuning he's doing or not doing... but with Guhl actively working on a true reflash of fuel and timing, I think it's just a matter of time before someone has a real barnstorming Goldwing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMB04-nMiY

bobbyf6b
10-27-2014, 10:53 PM
So I'm now wondering (hoping) that a fork brace will help control my high speed wobbles. If I don't win one I'm going to buy one and see.

srt8-in-largo
10-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hijack... regarding the turbo, I'm not too impressed with the demonstration videos that I've seen so far... but at this point I really couldn't say if all it needs is better tuning or if the piping is just not optimized. Turbos are quite finicky about their piping; it's got to be done *just* right to get the most out of them.

srt8-in-largo
10-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Hey guys, seems there are plenty of skeptics in this thread. If you're one of them, we welcome you to enter our contest for a free brace, the odds are 100% at this point, so why not..? If you win, you can try it out for free; we'd love it if you posted the results.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4116-SuperBrace-Odometer-Poker-Contest

I think it's down to 25% now.

Nobody else post their odo so the odds will stay high for those of us who have :icon_biggrin:

TerryB
10-27-2014, 11:13 PM
I just ordered a SuperBrace. I have the occasional slight wobble. It's not anything really concerns me saftey-wise, just more of an annoyance. The brace may help, it may do nothing. Only one way to find out. :icon_biggrin:

NemisusDM
11-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm very sensitive to the feel of the bike as it rolls along the road. I can feel the give of a tire carcass as well as chassis flex and vibrations not to mention tire slip. Due to this bikes geometry a fork brace drastically improved the handling for me. I could feel the stability (line holding) and increased responsiveness, immediately after install. It was like adding power steering to the bike. It also improved the straight up riding especially noticeable when hit with cross winds or semi-truck air turbulence and on rough roads (potholes, moguls, grooves, tar snakes) like in NY.
So in my opinion, the F6B will handle fine without one but, it handles so much better with one.

PS: a fork brace will only enhance your ride, not the rider.

srt8-in-largo
11-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Interesting feedback. I'm coming up on 10,000 miles and still plan to try this mod.

bigbird
11-01-2014, 02:32 PM
The transition from my street to my driveway involves a 45 degree "curb". Going up this angled transition, whether it's straight on, or up at an angle, always involves a real kick and twist through the handlebars. Two up, it's even worse. For this reason alone I'm getting a fork brace.

What did I order, you ask? After reading many posts on many forums, I decided on the Kury.

XKnight
11-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Just an update since I've had my Kury Fork Brace on for about 2K miles and also recently added the Helibars. With just the fork brace I did notice a change in front end stiffness/stability mostly in slow speed maneuvers. With the addition of the Heli Bars, my front end now feels extremely stable and handling in both slow speed maneuvers and in faster turns is significantly better than in stock form. :icon_cool:

XKnight
11-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Where id you find this good price at if you don't mind me asking?

I don't recall which vendor I went with, but I just did a quick Google search and see that Cycleplicity has the black Kury Fork Brace on sale for $139 plus shipping (they are also offering 20% off on shipping).

VP8
11-01-2014, 08:42 PM
So I'm now wondering (hoping) that a fork brace will help control my high speed wobbles. If I don't win one I'm going to buy one and see.

After I purchased my F6, I noticed the slight high speed wobble on the freeways. After I installed the Superbrace, my ride greatly improved. I no longer had the wobble. With that...I'm sure it also decreases the likelihood of tire cupping... so it may extend tire wear... that of course I haven't tested as I'm still on my original tires.

bobbyf6b
11-01-2014, 09:39 PM
After I purchased my F6, I noticed the slight high speed wobble on the freeways. After I installed the Superbrace, my ride greatly improved. I no longer had the wobble. With that...I'm sure it also decreases the likelihood of tire cupping... so it may extend tire wear... that of course I haven't tested as I'm still on my original tires.

Good to know, thanks!

NemisusDM
11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm very sensitive to the feel of the bike as it rolls along the road. I can feel the give of a tire carcass as well as chassis flex and vibrations not to mention tire slip. Due to this bikes geometry a fork brace drastically improved the handling for me. I could feel the stability (line holding) and increased responsiveness, immediately after install. It was like adding power steering to the bike. It also improved the straight up riding especially noticeable when hit with cross winds or semi-truck air turbulence and on rough roads (potholes, moguls, grooves, tar snakes) like in NY.
So in my opinion, the F6B will handle fine without one but, it handles so much better with one.

PS: a fork brace will only enhance your ride, not the rider.

BTW... I went with the Superbrace. It has a split case design instead of the 3 piece style the kury and traxxion use, making it the most solid with less failure points.

luisjromero
01-30-2015, 01:56 PM
After reading many posts on many forums, I decided on the Kury.

Me too...Ive ordered the Kury today after many doubts, so that in 3 weeks I will have my opinion and feed back to share with you.
Im sure that was the right choice :icon_wink:

Thanks for your valuable opinions and advices.notworthy.

terrydj
01-31-2015, 07:44 AM
Well I just read all the posts andddddddd. Well, this week I fly off to pick my bike up and a 1000 kay 600 mile trip home and from what I have been reading the F6B has a speed wobble ?????
Got me stumped that a Leader in motorcycle manufacturing who has been making a model or number of models of the same bike for over 40 years builds a bike that has a known ???? speed wobble in it ???
Some how think some riders don't know what happens in wind or when passing another vehicle,?????
Ridden bikes at 200MPH with no fork brace and not a problem.
Well Ill find out all about on my trip home ???? :icon_cool:

DaWadd
01-31-2015, 08:14 AM
I would not be too concerned about the "speed wobble" . I've never noticed it and not all owners have it.:nono:

Hornblower
01-31-2015, 08:32 AM
What speed wobble??????

bigbird
01-31-2015, 09:43 AM
I would not be too concerned about the "speed wobble" . I've never noticed it and not all owners have it.:nono:

Me neither.
The reason I installed a fork brace is that the transition from street to my driveway involves a large, steeply sloped curb. Rolling over that curb, either up or down, causes my forks to shudder, flex, and make that slow bump unstable. I hope the brace will cure that, but won't know for a couple of months yet.

opas ride
01-31-2015, 11:04 AM
These threads on fork braces are getting old and seem to fall in the same category as oil types, tires, and windshields. Some like the brace others think it is not necessary and most of the riders of an F6B don't need one in reality...If you think you need one, your choice, if not, ride happy and you will probably never miss not having one...Some braces are built different than others and are supposed to help in various ways..Do what makes you happy and lets enjoy the ride!!!

Mastergunny
01-31-2015, 05:54 PM
No wobble or need for the brace here. I also believe members can post whatever opinion they want and others that have more knowledge on particular subjects can express theirs without being judgmental or critical of other members.

Are we not all here for the love of it?

bigbird
01-31-2015, 05:59 PM
I also believe members can post whatever opinion they want and others that have more knowledge on particular subjects can express theirs without being judgmental or critical of other members.

Are we not all here for the love of it?

I hope so.
Political views, gun laws, constitutions, religion, the price of oil, ebola, sports, and all the rest of it takes a back seat to my riding and enjoying my F6B.

Old Ryder
01-31-2015, 07:16 PM
I have not seen any wobble, but being an ex Harley guy it is an accessory and I must purchase it. It is what I do.

cwjj2001
01-31-2015, 08:28 PM
What speed wobble??????
Ken you have to ride less than 100mph to feel the wobble...lol
'riding'

edgeman55
01-31-2015, 09:16 PM
Brace is not needed but did improve high speed and low speed handling on mine.I have had the Superbrace on for many miles and believe "For Me" it is a big improvement.Before the brace I had no wobble or have heard it was a problem.As far as some not liking talk about brace's,oil ect remember some here are just getting there F6B and like feedback for there concerns.I think winter is getting under the skin to some of those Northern boys!

bobbyf6b
02-01-2015, 12:32 AM
Brace is not needed but did improve high speed and low speed handling on mine. I have had the Superbrace on for many miles and believe "For Me" it is a big improvement.Before the brace I had no wobble or have heard it was a problem.

DITTO!!!

I noticed a huge difference when changing lanes on the freeway. Sometimes I would get that little "wiggle" from the cracks or lines in the road. Not anymore! This is a large bike that pushes a lot of air out of the way at high speeds and the brace noticeably keeps my bike stable. I was skeptical about them too because I never had one before, but after my experience on the F6B I bought a brace for my Sportster and I'm extremely happy with the results. Much more stable at all speeds and especially when changing lanes on the freeway/highway. I have the Superbrace on both bikes, and I think the first thing I will buy for all future bikes will be a Superbrace.

choptop
02-01-2015, 08:33 AM
I have always done the majority of my major mods over the L O N G C O L D Wi winters. I find that getting on the bike after not having ridden it for 5 months or so that anything that I have done to it is a new riding/learning experience. The brace, not sure which one yet and going Darkside , will be done before the spring riding season.:biggthumpup:

grendl
02-01-2015, 10:26 AM
As always interesting discussion. Working with limited funds,I have a list of things to do with the bike that do not include dazzle. First on the list are lights to allow me to see better at night in the canyons and mountains.
Reading this is making me think to revamp what comes after that as handling is a big thing also.
My bike does shake it's head at low speed if I take my hands off the bars .
My CBR did the same thing head shake at <40 mph)but I finally talked the mechanic at the dealer to tighten the steering head and cure the problem and improve the handling of the bike.
I am going to try the same thing(under a warranty complaint ) with my F6,then past that will plan to install a fork brace. The helibars from a physics standpoint make sense also. I can appreciate that Mother Honda gave us stiff bars with an 'I' design but seems to me they are a little long and allow some flex also.
All in all I don't have 'pucker' moments with the bike,so no real complaint but if there is something that makes it handle better,it becomes second on my list to the lights I need.

Old Ryder
02-01-2015, 10:38 AM
A brace is a brace. Correct??? It gives stability.

What makes the $200 Superbrace function better than the $150 Kury? Not knocking the Superbrace but what does it do better?

F6B1911
02-01-2015, 11:48 AM
A brace is a brace. Correct??? It gives stability.
What makes the $200 Superbrace function better than the $150 Kury? Not knocking the Superbrace but what does it do better?

.... And why is the Traxxion brace $299.99?
What does the Traxxion offer that is different / better / ? that the Kury at half the price?

opas ride
02-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Just good "marketing hype" my friends....Trying to convince the buyer that a brace is a brace is a brace!!..Most of us that ride the F6B have no need for a fork brace and will never miss not having one...Some like em, some don't notice any difference, some wouldn't waste the money...Too each his own as they say......Done with this thread!!!....Ride safe

Phantom
02-01-2015, 12:29 PM
:icon_lol:

This is a contest for FUN

Out of the 3 braces, please identify the guy that is using the Kury Brace on the attached photo

:icon_lol: :cheers: :catfight::spank: grouphug :stirthepot: "flamefighter" "Fyre2'

choptop
02-01-2015, 12:39 PM

Out of the 3 braces, please identify the guy that is using the Kury Brace on the attached photo

:icon_lol: :cheers: :catfight::spank: grouphug :stirthepot: "flamefighter" "Fyre2'

The guy in the middle ?:banghead:

RickW
02-01-2015, 12:58 PM

That just isn't right..............

Phantom
02-01-2015, 01:17 PM
That just isn't right..............

I'm the guy with the SuperBrace installed :icon_biggrin::yes:

choptop
07-21-2015, 06:27 PM
I have always done the majority of my major mods over the L O N G C O L D Wi winters. I find that getting on the bike after not having ridden it for 5 months or so that anything that I have done to it is a new riding/learning experience. The brace, not sure which one yet and going Darkside , will be done before the spring riding season.:biggthumpup:

Still haven't gotten the fork brace but after the Yellowstone trip and a few outings w/the boys that make me go beyond what I would normally do when riding alone, I have noticed some front end movement that would be nice to get rid of . Not sure which brace yet, buddy has the Kury and likes it, will read a little more but the brace will happen for me.

dickiedeals
07-21-2015, 08:26 PM
I have the Kuryakyn, it was a gift, it works, looks good, I'm happy with it. Might be good to buy from the Forum sponser ............Dickie

BobR
07-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Just installed the SuperBrace the beginning of the week. I can definitely feel a difference. The front feels much more solid at low speed, especially in turns, and also cruising down the road @ higher speeds. Ditto on the way it feels when crossing center lines. It used to feel like I was driving a vehicle with an Old bias ply tire from the 1960's. It feels totally neutral now when crossing the center line. Seems to have been a great investment.

hgslayr
07-23-2015, 11:20 PM
After reading all the positive reviews I just placed my order for the Kury brace for my matte B...I cant imagine something as simple as this brace improving an already amazing handling bike...Thanks for the reviews...

choptop
07-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Got mine in the mail today, Kury unit.

dickiedeals
07-24-2015, 07:29 PM
What does the Traxxion offer that is different / better / ? that the Kury at half the price?

There name??????....................Dickie

choptop
07-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Got mine in the mail today, Kury unit.

Put my Kury brace on this AM and went for a ride w/the little, someday, missus. Not to spirited because she makes my head hurt if I get to crazy. Didn't notice any difference but I am one of those guys that does not notice every little thing but I don't believe for a moment that it is not helping w/something.

seadog
07-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Just to replace that 10 cent piece of plastic garbage between the forks makes it worth the 200 bucks for me whether its worth the money or not. Chrome will take you home!!!!:crackup:

ths61
07-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Great fit and finish. Made in the USA. Supposed to be 1/2 pound lighter of unsprung weight and more durable finish.

hgslayr
07-27-2015, 04:14 PM
http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/curtisstates47hgslatr47/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150727_135554_zpsi80qe3am.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Installed my Kury brace today...looks great and report on handling to follow...

hgslayr
07-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Took the B out after the kury brace and the frt end does seem more smooth and tighter in the turns...Definitely a good purchase IMHO...We'll see later how she responds in the fast twisties...

BEIST
10-13-2015, 01:41 AM
You guys sold me on the fork brace.

opas ride
10-13-2015, 02:18 PM
You guys sold me on the fork brace.

Report some feedback/opinion if you get a chance...I am still not convinced I need one with my style of riding....Some have had reported positive results, others not so much....Ride safe

ths61
10-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Report some feedback/opinion if you get a chance...I am still not convinced I need one with my style of riding....Some have had reported positive results, others not so much....Ride safe

I noticed a difference on straight rough roads. Didn't need to take it to the twisties, but did notice a difference there as well.

opas ride
10-13-2015, 05:39 PM
I noticed a difference on straight rough roads. Didn't need to take it to the twisties, but did notice a difference there as well.

Thanks for the response,and not trying to be a "smart ass", please define any "difference" on straight and twisty roads...Regards

ths61
10-13-2015, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the response,and not trying to be a "smart ass", please define any "difference" on straight and twisty roads...Regards

On a straight rough road, it handles the bumps and imperfections better. Less feedback into the handlebars and less impact on steering. Basically holds the road better.

willtill
10-13-2015, 05:51 PM
On a straight rough road, it handles the bumps and imperfections better. Less feedback into the handlebars and less impact on steering. Basically holds the road better.

Did you loosen your pinch bolts and re-seat your axle; after you attached your Fork Brace?

ths61
10-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Did you loosen your pinch bolts and re-seat your axle; after you attached your Fork Brace?

I put on the Traxxion multi-piece (not the 2 piece) brace and did the width adjustments with the brace.

I liked the improvement, so shortly after, I had the Traxxion Mega Monty (minus top triple tree clamp) install done, so the forks were removed and completely redone.

Old Ryder
10-14-2015, 07:02 AM

I noticed the difference before I got in 3rd gear on straight road. Best way I know to explain it is that it tightened up the feel of the bike. I never noticed any lag in the steering---not saying there is any---but when I put the brace on the steering became more responsive. It is not something you need---but it did make a difference to me.

OTOH---Helibars advertise their bar across the center will do the same thing. I did not tell any difference when I installed them, but to be truthful, I already had the Superbrace in place when I put on the bars. Maybe that is a true statement without the brace.

Summary: It does make a difference for the better.
Question: Does a rider really need it? No

opas ride
10-14-2015, 09:37 AM
I noticed the difference before I got in 3rd gear on straight road. Best way I know to explain it is that it tightened up the feel of the bike. I never noticed any lag in the steering---not saying there is any---but when I put the brace on the steering became more responsive. It is not something you need---but it did make a difference to me.

OTOH---Helibars advertise their bar across the center will do the same thing. I did not tell any difference when I installed them, but to be truthful, I already had the Superbrace in place when I put on the bars. Maybe that is a true statement without the brace.

Summary: It does make a difference for the better.
Question: Does a rider really need it? No

Thanks for the reply and I agree with your assessment. I will leave things alone for now as I don't really feel the need...Kind of like ice cream ,great stuff by itself but a little better with some chocolate sauce topping....Ride safe

CheesyRider
10-14-2015, 09:51 AM
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but will a fork brace help with tar snakes? I don't know if it is the weight of the bike, the tires, or lack of a fork brace, but my F6B feels especially squirrely when I hit the tar snakes in a curve. The F6B is about 200 pounds heavier than the next heaviest bike I ever owned, so maybe it is just the nature of the beast.

willtill
10-14-2015, 11:01 AM
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but will a fork brace help with tar snakes? I don't know if it is the weight of the bike, the tires, or lack of a fork brace, but my F6B feels especially squirrely when I hit the tar snakes in a curve. The F6B is about 200 pounds heavier than the next heaviest bike I ever owned, so maybe it is just the nature of the beast.

It's the tires. Very common with many bikes.

opas ride
10-14-2015, 12:40 PM
+1 on the tar snake issue..The tires on the F6B have a big groove down the center tread which makes tar-snakes an "enemy"....Just be aware and slow down if it becomes nasty....Ride safe

BEIST
10-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Had my Honda mechanic install my Kuryaken Black Forkbrace p/n KUR-7349 from Cycleplicity today. Extremely happy with my purchase. $149 delivered the next day & $50 to have them professionally installed and documented with my bike. I could not be happier with a $200 purchase. As stated by many of the members above = I noticed a distinct difference in handling as soon as I left the dealership. Bike feels extremely solid up front now. I tested them out on grated bridges and on chewed up roads that are about to be resurfaced. I would recommend this modification to anyone who rides. Sincerely glad that I read this thread. Thanks! Quite an improvement for such a small investment. Forkbraces should come standard on all bikes.

Baytown
10-15-2015, 01:12 AM
Ive just fitted a Superbrace on my 15, but havent taken her out yet as Im still waiting for my new speakers to arrive, so dash is out.
I'll report my view of the brace in a few days.
Best wishes all.
Ken

Old Ryder
10-15-2015, 08:10 AM
I have read a lot on the fork brace before I bought mine and ALSO AFTER. I have read a few negative things, but my question is this-----

Who has purchased one and wish they had not done it and are very unhappy with their purchase! And then, WHY are you unhappy.

opas ride
10-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Had my Honda mechanic install my Kuryaken Black Forkbrace p/n KUR-7349 from Cycleplicity today. Extremely happy with my purchase. $149 delivered the next day & $50 to have them professionally installed and documented with my bike. I could not be happier with a $200 purchase. As stated by many of the members above = I noticed a distinct difference in handling as soon as I left the dealership. Bike feels extremely solid up front now. I tested them out on grated bridges and on chewed up roads that are about to be resurfaced. I would recommend this modification to anyone who rides. Sincerely glad that I read this thread. Thanks! Quite an improvement for such a small investment. Forkbraces should come standard on all bikes.

I still maintain that if Honda engineers felt this bike "really needed" a fork brace, they would have added something along the way...This bike has been built with this suspension, basically, since 2001....JMHO....Not to say that some of the more aggressive riders and those that load it down might feel a little improvement under certain conditions....Ride safe

willtill
10-15-2015, 08:22 AM
I still maintain that if Honda engineers felt this bike "really needed" a fork brace, they would have added something along the way...This bike has been built with this suspension, basically, since 2001....JMHO....Not to say that some of the more aggressive riders and those that load it down might feel a little improvement under certain conditions....Ride safe

Almost anything can be improved on. Why just settle for "satisfactory" opas ride?

Do you think the stock OEM seat is well engineered too; for a long ride on it? Many do not... and there is HUGE felt improvement with aftermarket and/or modified seats

Fork stabilizers improve handling and work well on many other bikes. No reason why they could not on a F6B. I shall have me one soon myself. :yes:

Old Ryder
10-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Almost anything can be improved on. Why just settle for "satisfactory" opas ride?

Do you think the stock OEM seat is well engineered too; for a long ride on it? Many do not... and there is HUGE felt improvement with aftermarket and/or modified seats

Fork stabilizers improve handling and work well on many other bikes. No reason why they could not on a F6B. I shall have me one soon myself. :yes:

These are the same designers/engineers that make us switch out the seats, add risers and highway bars, etc....---how many riders are using the same stock windshield? Is it not true that it was put there and deemed adequate by the same engineers and designers? It should be sufficient and OK for everybody, too????? Right???

Not trying to offend anybody, but it reminds me of my 5 year old grandson who refuses to eat cherry pie, strawberries or watermelon because it is red. Everybody tells him it tastes great and he would love it if he would only try it, but no--can't force it down his throat! Therefore he misses out on something good because he won't try it even though the consensus from everybody THAT HE TRUSTS is that it is great!

BTW---I am still waiting to hear from somebody who has one installed and are not happy with it. I agree that some items are a waste of money and do not perform up to their price point, but I don't recall the brace being in that group. Again, just my humble opinion--your milage may vary. :stirthepot:

willtill
10-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Ordered from WingStuff.com.

:yes:

edgeman55
10-15-2015, 01:20 PM

You know we now get it you don't need a fork brace.But just because the great Honda engineers did not put one on the bike does not get away from the FACT that most here who have installed one have experienced improved handling on there rides.Remember these are the great engineers who also put a inferior ball bearing setup up front which after market has improved upon greatly.Also the later Goldwing triple trees were improved upon by Honda engineers because companys like Traxion showed there componants worked mucho better.Just think you give these engineers a little more credit then they sometimes deserve.

ths61
10-15-2015, 01:46 PM

Most things are built to a price point. Go above that price point and you price yourself out of the market, so they deliver what is "good-enough" for most.

Companies sometimes have to get enough feedback from its customer base (or the courts) before they make any changes. A few years ago, HD upgraded its suspension to include what an aftermarket company was doing to address HD's design. HD never once admitted it "fixed" an issue with the suspension, yet they are producing and selling the mod ever since.

Someone posted a while back that Honda has applied for a new fork patent, so who knows, they may have heard the fork brace crowd (or discovered how many fork braces were being $old by multiple vendor$).

BIGLRY
10-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Most things are built to a price point. Go above that price point and you price yourself out of the market, so they deliver what is "good-enough" for most.

Companies sometimes have to get enough feedback from its customer base (or the courts) before they make any changes. A few years ago, HD upgraded its suspension to include what an aftermarket company was doing to address HD's design. HD never once admitted it "fixed" an issue with the suspension, yet they are producing and selling the mod ever since.

Someone posted a while back that Honda has applied for a new fork patent, so who knows, they may have heard the fork brace crowd (or discovered how many fork braces were being $old by multiple vendor$). +1

Old Ryder
10-15-2015, 01:56 PM
It is true that we all can ride without a fork brace and the bike is not going to explode nor is our hair going to catch on fire. The bike is great as it came off the line. This is the ONLY bike in which I have not touched the exhaust or air filter and done something to the carbs or EFI----and that is going back to 1977. But I am not going to judge the man who does and then wants to shout it from the rooftop.

But the traditional motorcycle ride is constantly looking for ways to make it better. Torque Loopz, Cobra Exhaust, Mustang/Ultimate seats, Baggershield/Madstad/ Clearview, the list goes on and on. It is up to the individual and his wallet to determine what/how many changes he does to his ride. Almost all love the brace.

It's all good!

edgeman55
10-15-2015, 07:12 PM
It is true that we all can ride without a fork brace and the bike is not going to explode nor is our hair going to catch on fire. The bike is great as it came off the line. This is the ONLY bike in which I have not touched the exhaust or air filter and done something to the carbs or EFI----and that is going back to 1977. But I am not going to judge the man who does and then wants to shout it from the rooftop.

But the traditional motorcycle ride is constantly looking for ways to make it better. Torque Loopz, Cobra Exhaust, Mustang/Ultimate seats, Baggershield/Madstad/ Clearview, the list goes on and on. It is up to the individual and his wallet to determine what/how many changes he does to his ride. Almost all love the brace.

It's all good!

OK well said.I hope my comments above were not to hard on MR Opas and you said it better then I could as even the best bikes out there and IMHO the F6B for it's class is one of them they all have design points or functions that can be improved upon.He has asked about the fork braces many times-been answered almost always with a positive remark to how well they improve the front end feel of this bike and yet he always ends with a opinion that they are not really needed even though he has yet to try one.Yes he has the right to feel this way and I guess at the moment I was just not feeling it was adding to the question how does your fork brace work as he is commenting on something he has not tried on this bike.So if I was a little harsh with my comments above I'm sorrygrouphug Ride safe everyone-Fork brace or not:039:

opas ride
10-15-2015, 07:35 PM
OK well said.I hope my comments above were not to hard on MR Opas and you said it better then I could as even the best bikes out there and IMHO the F6B for it's class is one of them they all have design points or functions that can be improved upon.He has asked about the fork braces many times-been answered almost always with a positive remark to how well they improve the front end feel of this bike and yet he always ends with a opinion that they are not really needed even though he has yet to try one.Yes he has the right to feel this way and I guess at the moment I was just not feeling it was adding to the question how does your fork brace work as he is commenting on something he has not tried on this bike.So if I was a little harsh with my comments above I'm sorrygrouphug Ride safe everyone-Fork brace or not:039:
I take no offense to comments posted on this board by anyone..We all have the right to voice our opinions and experiences..At the ripe old age of almost 76, my shoulders have gotten pretty big.....I just don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks for something that is of no real value to me..I realize many have fork braces and stick by them and it would be far from me to find fault with their choices....I just may buy one next year and see what happens....but for now I am good with the way the 6 rides and handles....Regards and ride safe...

hgslayr
10-15-2015, 10:20 PM
The Kuryakyn fork brace and the anti-dive shim made a big difference for me in the smoothness of the front end

Baytown
10-18-2015, 02:51 AM
Anti Dive Shim???
Bugger! There's something else I want that I didn't know I needed!

Ken

khahn
10-18-2015, 08:51 AM
First off let me say my riding style is so mellow I haven't felt the need to improve the bikes suspension and I don't plan to. I'll take the word of those that ride more aggressively and have installed the fork brace and have noted an improvement. My background is in engineering and I see the telescoping front suspension of a motorcycle as an over constrained system. In mathematics, 2 points define a line, 3 points define an arc. In the case of the front suspension 6 points are trying to make parallel lines, not gonna happen. Because there are machining tolerances of the upper triple tree clamp and the lower clamp and the axle involved, there is already fight in the system. Some will have a lot of fight, some not so much, kinda the luck of the draw on how closely the 3/6 points line up. One of the factors for seal and bushing wear in the forks is how good or bad these 3/6 points of constraint do in establishing parallel lines. I believe adding a 4th/8th level of constraint may accelerate the bushing and seal wear, or it may not, depending on how close those 8 points are to creating 2 parallel lines. So in my case I'm not taking the chance since I don't need to.

six2go
10-18-2015, 10:44 AM
First off let me say my riding style is so mellow I haven't felt the need to improve the bikes suspension and I don't plan to. I'll take the word of those that ride more aggressively and have installed the fork brace and have noted an improvement. My background is in engineering and I see the telescoping front suspension of a motorcycle as an over constrained system. In mathematics, 2 points define a line, 3 points define an arc. In the case of the front suspension 6 points are trying to make parallel lines, not gonna happen. Because there are machining tolerances of the upper triple tree clamp and the lower clamp and the axle involved, there is already fight in the system. Some will have a lot of fight, some not so much, kinda the luck of the draw on how closely the 3/6 points line up. One of the factors for seal and bushing wear in the forks is how good or bad these 3/6 points of constraint do in establishing parallel lines. I believe adding a 4th/8th level of constraint may accelerate the bushing and seal wear, or it may not, depending on how close those 8 points are to creating 2 parallel lines. So in my case I'm not taking the chance since I don't need to.
My thoughts exactly. :cheers:

willtill
10-18-2015, 12:11 PM

I completely do not follow you at all; with what you described.

Adding that additional constraint (fork brace) is going to help reduce any inherent ability of the front forks trying to arc (flex) from the intended line of travel within them. The top of each fork tube body is now supporting the other laterally; not just at the axle pinch bolts and the triple tree clamps. Overall; the ability of these two fork systems to flex as an arc is now lessened. And that results in decreased bushing and seal wear.

Greg O
10-18-2015, 12:35 PM
I installed a Superbrace yesterday, but I haven't had time to test it out, maybe take a spin after the Bears game.

willtill
10-18-2015, 12:56 PM
I installed a Superbrace yesterday, but I haven't had time to test it out, maybe take a spin after the Bears game.

Da bears :icon_lol:

opas ride
10-18-2015, 01:29 PM

Adding that additional constraint (fork brace) is going to help reduce any inherent ability of the front forks trying to arc (flex) from the intended line of travel within them. The top of each fork tube body is now supporting the other laterally; not just at the axle pinch bolts and the triple tree clamps. Overall; the ability of these two fork systems to flex as an arc is now lessened. And that results in decreased bushing and seal wear.

I think I will officially "bow out" of this fork brace discussion as it has become worse than the many oil threads....I am also not convinced that these things are necessary, or that they really work in the long run....So I intend to leave well enough alone and enjoy my F6B as it works fine for me....Those that swear by them and have positive results, more power to you and I appreciate your opinions and experience with a fork brace.....Ride safe and regards....

edgeman55
10-18-2015, 01:44 PM

+1.I ran a Forkbrace on a 1500 Goldwing for 150 thousand miles with no seal problems.Biggest problem with seals failing in my experience is dirt and grime getting down in them.Keep those tubes clean and they seem to last longer.

edgeman55
10-18-2015, 01:49 PM
I think I will officially "bow out" of this fork brace discussion as it has become worse than the many oil threads....I am also not convinced that these things are necessary, or that they really work in the long run....So I intend to leave well enough alone and enjoy my F6B as it works fine for me....Those that swear by them and have positive results, more power to you and I appreciate your opinions and experience with a fork brace.....Ride safe and regards....

Nice to see you'surrender2'.Now I know you will sleep better not frettin anymore over that forkbrace you don't need.:039:

Old Ryder
10-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Performance has always come at a price.

On one hand a Honda Civic will run trouble free for thousands and thousands of miles on gas and regular oil and tire changes.

On the other hand a Fuel Dragster will need a complete engine rebuild in less than 1/4 miles and less than 4 seconds. Everything else in in between.

I like the sound of my OEM quiet exhaust, but there are a lot of guys here with aftermarket pipes. I personally do not see the need to go on those threads and declare the possible evils of such a change. Now--If I did install a Crobra system and did not like the drone that I read so much about, then I would voice that opinion on every thread possible. But never ridden a F6B with that change, why would I go and speak against something that I have never experienced---especially if they happened to be a forum sponsor who helps pay the bills around here. If I had a reason to discredit a sponsor for poor performance, then I would :shrug: But think how laughable that would be if I followed ever "drone" or Cobra thread with words of how I don't need or want that stuff on my bike and how superior my bike is because I don't have it and never tried it.

Just sayin........

edgeman55
10-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Performance has always come at a price.

On one hand a Honda Civic will run trouble free for thousands and thousands of miles on gas and regular oil and tire changes.

On the other hand a Fuel Dragster will need a complete engine rebuild in less than 1/4 miles and less than 4 seconds. Everything else in in between.

I like the sound of my OEM quiet exhaust, but there are a lot of guys here with aftermarket pipes. I personally do not see the need to go on those threads and declare the possible evils of such a change. Now--If I did install a Crobra system and did not like the drone that I read so much about, then I would voice that opinion on every thread possible. But never ridden a F6B with that change, why would I go and speak against something that I have never experienced---especially if they happened to be a forum sponsor who helps pay the bills around here. If I had a reason to discredit a sponsor for poor performance, then I would :shrug: But think how laughable that would be if I followed ever "drone" or Cobra thread with words of how I don't need or want that stuff on my bike and how superior my bike is because I don't have it and never tried it.

Just sayin........

+1 Well said.

willtill
10-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Well lookie here now....guess what just arrived? :smokin:

http://i58.tinypic.com/29zvkpg.jpg

Willl
10-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Well lookie here now....guess what just arrived? :smokin:

http://i58.tinypic.com/29zvkpg.jpg

That's the one I installed, top notch :icon_cool:

willtill
10-20-2015, 05:35 PM
That's the one I installed, top notch :icon_cool:

Yep... machined well. I've installed a fork brace on my past DL650 Vstrom... and the resultant effect on the bike's line of travel was hugely sensed. For the positive.

No more wandering.
No more vagueness in steering at slow speed
Increased high speed stability in crosswinds and passing/being passed by larger vehicles - THIS is the most important effect that the brace provides :yes:

I don't make this up. It's no bullshit. Fork braces work.

Nothing but good comes from stabilizing the front forks :301: And....

....Superbrace has a 90 day guarantee... or your money back. Who would even attempt to refute a deal like this???

opas_ride maybe ?

:icon_wink:

Bryster
10-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Yep... machined well. I've installed a fork brace on my past DL650 Vstrom... and the resultant effect on the bike's line of travel was hugely sensed. For the positive.

No more wandering.
No more vagueness in steering at slow speed
Better high speed stability in crosswinds and passing/being passed by larger vehicles - THIS is the most important effect that the brace provides :yes:

I don't make this up. It's no bullshit. Fork braces work.

Nothing but good comes from stabilizing the front forks :301: And....

....Superbrace has a 90 day guarantee... or your money back. Who would even attempt to refute a deal like this??? opas_ride maybe ?

Well, color me converted, I fitted the same last week, took for an extended spin yesterday, it's removed the 'rubbery' feel when you wiggle the bars, and tracks nicely when swinging quickly (as a Hondapotamus does) It was that disconnect on quick movements that bugged me. I ride a ST1300 all day every work day, and I guess it made it more pronounced when I jumped on the F6B.

Read heaps of comments, negative and positive, and I'm personally more than pleased with the result.

:yes:

willtill
10-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Just finished installing the SuperBrace; re-seated the front axle. Going to take her out for a spin and see how better she handles :yes:

http://i61.tinypic.com/nb7jm9.jpg

willtill
10-25-2015, 02:01 PM
This Super Brace has made my bike track like it's on a rail. Definite improvement in the front end as soon as I left the driveway. It is very easy to feel the difference at speed; than when it was not installed.

There is no more perceptible "wiggle" in the handlebars at a walking speed. It is gone. :yes:

It has improved the handling; as I remember it improving the handling on my past Suzuki DL650

It fits very well and is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Looks like OEM.

A fork brace is a modification I highly recommend for our F6B's. :icon_wink:

Greg O
10-25-2015, 06:13 PM
I installed my Superbrace last week and noticed a difference even though I only took it on about a 5 mile ride

willtill
10-25-2015, 06:15 PM
I installed my Superbrace last week and noticed a difference even though I only took it on about a 5 mile ride

Difference good? Difference bad?

Willl
10-26-2015, 10:44 AM
This Super Brace has made my bike track like it's on a rail. Definite improvement in the front end as soon as I left the driveway. It is very easy to feel the difference at speed; than when it was not installed.

There is no more perceptible "wiggle" in the handlebars at a walking speed. It is gone. :yes:

It has improved the handling; as I remember it improving the handling on my past Suzuki DL650

It fits very well and is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Looks like OEM.

A fork brace is a modification I highly recommend for our F6B's. :icon_wink:

+1

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Although I have not experienced the low speed wiggle nor the high speed instability, my F6B is easily "unnerved" when hitting bumpy stretches of highway at moderate speed. It feels jittery and seems to rattle the front end as I traverse the cracks and pits in our highway system, and it gets a little scary in corners, almost as if the front wheel is not fully in contact with the road until the pavement smooths out. Do you folks think the fork brace will help with this? My bike runs well and tracks nicely on good surfaces for the 6500 miles I have on it. Thanks.

Willl
10-26-2015, 11:04 AM
My Super Brace removed 100% of my low speed wiggle and firmed up my front suspension a little bit at speed (10-20%)

Your results may vary

willtill
10-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Although I have not experienced the low speed wiggle nor the high speed instability, my F6B is easily "unnerved" when hitting bumpy stretches of highway at moderate speed. It feels jittery and seems to rattle the front end as I traverse the cracks and pits in our highway system, and it gets a little scary in corners, almost as if the front wheel is not fully in contact with the road until the pavement smooths out. Do you folks think the fork brace will help with this? My bike runs well and tracks nicely on good surfaces for the 6500 miles I have on it. Thanks.

Yes. And if it doesn't (which I highly doubt that happening), you can send it back for a refund.

I do predict however; you will not send it back; once installed... :icon_wink:

opas ride
10-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Just finished installing the SuperBrace; re-seated the front axle. Going to take her out for a spin and see how better she handles :yes:

http://i61.tinypic.com/nb7jm9.jpg

What is involved to "re-seat" and how do you do this on the front axle..Just curious, thanks....

willtill
10-26-2015, 04:03 PM
What is involved to "re-seat" and how do you do this on the front axle..Just curious, thanks....

Loosen the front fork pinch bolts. Install and align the Super Brace with the top fork tubes; and tighten it's screws to 10 ft lbs.

Then...

Get on the bike and bounce the front end a couple of times. Get off the bike and re-tighten the front fork pinch bolts to 16 ft lbs.

What this does is makes sure that the bottom of the fork tubes are not "cock eyed" on the axle. They will move in a natural, unbinded position on the axle. I did scrutinize the axle closely before I installed the Super Brace and the axle didn't need any adjustment after the fact. But you should do it anyway, just in case it needs it

ths61
10-26-2015, 08:04 PM

HTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrYkHDZYS_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ClgMTJ04A

SoCal Rich
01-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Had my local dealer do the brake master cylinder recall work and had them install new tires this weekend. Only 8500 miles on my F6B (trying Dunlop Elite 3s this time, by the way). Dealer reported some looseness in the front steering and suggested repacking the front wheel bearings. I said not now. Rode 250 miles today and, while riding straight at some speed, when I give slight input to the handlebars I feel some wobble instead of a nice, tight response. Is this what you guys have felt and addressed with a fork brace? Does anyone think a wheel bearing job would be called for in this instance?

Thanks for any input, guys!

willtill
01-18-2016, 08:08 AM
Had my local dealer do the brake master cylinder recall work and had them install new tires this weekend. Only 8500 miles on my F6B (trying Dunlop Elite 3s this time, by the way). Dealer reported some looseness in the front steering and suggested repacking the front wheel bearings. I said not now. Rode 250 miles today and, while riding straight at some speed, when I give slight input to the handlebars I feel some wobble instead of a nice, tight response. Is this what you guys have felt and addressed with a fork brace? Does anyone think a wheel bearing job would be called for in this instance?

Thanks for any input, guys!

I doubt you have issues this early; with your wheel bearings. Wobble in the front end can be improper torque (looseness) of the steering stem. Or a unbalanced/out of round tire....

Can you jack up your bike so that the front wheel is off the ground; and see if you can move the forks forward and rearwards; which would indicate a loose steering stem?

I only had a slight minute wobble at a very slow speed when turning my handlebars. The Superbrace removed that as well as the wandering that I could feel on a long sweeping turn at speed. There is no play in my steering stem.

espiros
01-18-2016, 01:40 PM
I installed my black Kury Gen.2 fork brace today. Very easy install and based on the quick test ride I took I believe the brace definitely makes the bike feel more stable in slow speed maneuvers. Did a bunch of close quarter U-turns and the bike felt better than ever. It's rock solid now compared to before when I could feel more movement/wiggle up front. Can't speak for high speed stability yet since I only road around my neighborhood at no more than 45 MPH to test the fork brace and make sure nothing was binding.

My opinion as well....I could feel the difference since I ride the first time after installing the fork brace.

SoCal Rich
01-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Will, I don't have a way to jack up the front end. What if, while the bike is in neutral and the brake applied to the front, I push/pull on the handlebars to look for looseness? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing and get the forks moving if in fact there is a loose steering stem?

willtill
01-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Will, I don't have a way to jack up the front end. What if, while the bike is in neutral and the brake applied to the front, I push/pull on the handlebars to look for looseness? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing and get the forks moving if in fact there is a loose steering stem?

No, the articulation of the front shocks would mask any looseness of the steering stem; if you did it in that manner.

At 1:15 in the below video; you can follow the process for checking a loose stem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_fmONC9Jg

SoCal Rich
01-19-2016, 11:09 PM
Awesome video! Thanks so much!

98valk
01-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Okay, this is coming from someone who has almost no opinion, good or bad on a fork brace. And even less knowledge on one. But, it might bring up an interesting discussion (or maybe just be ignored).

It comes to mind why something so simple as a fork brace is not included in Honda's original design.

Maybe the flex lessens the strain on other parts. Not limited to fork sleeves/sliders, seals - even tires? It seems if the forks were completely rigid, bumps would be felt more by the internals? Opinions?

Again, this is just up for thought. I'm not arguing any ones point of view.

wjduke
01-21-2016, 02:01 PM
I see your reasoning. I think like that sometimes about manufacturers, but a lot of it is money saving. Look at the stock windscreen. Almost everyone changes it right away, so why do they keep it? Personally, in my short stint with mine, I see no need to add anything like that. This bike handles the road a lot better than my old bike....I'm in heaven riding it. As you, this is my opinion only.

willtill
01-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Okay, this is coming from someone who has almost no opinion, good or bad on a fork brace. And even less knowledge on one. But, it might bring up an interesting discussion (or maybe just be ignored).

It comes to mind why something so simple as a fork brace is not included in Honda's original design.

Cost.

Maybe the flex lessens the strain on other parts. Not limited to fork sleeves/sliders, seals - even tires? It seems if the forks were completely rigid, bumps would be felt more by the internals? Opinions?

Front shocks are designed to take care of the bump(s) via VERTICAL articulation. Not LATERAL articulation. Fork seals/sliders and sleeves are designed to accommodate the VERTICAL function of the shock.

You ever see the residual rings of dirt and oil that will commonly appear on a front fork stanchion (the shiny part)?. Those dirt/oil rings are now gone since installing the fork brace. There is no lateral "flex" with the seals/dust covers and the fork stanchion. No oil will weep out since the seal is not being flexed laterally, thanks to the brace that holds the top of the shock tubes more firmly than before.

Again, this is just up for thought. I'm not arguing any ones point of view.